Boise, ID
Ann Morrison Park - Southeast Share

< Prev 1 2 3
Deaf Geese Couldn't Hear Me Yelling "Fore".

1    7/22/2014   7/31/2014
Pros: Anne Morrison is a very large and beautiful park in Boise. It's mostly flat and features a variety of water hazards, from small easy to cross creeks to a larger drainage ditch to some kind of ponds on both sides of holes 11-14.
The course has nice, extra long concrete tee pads. Many are grooved for winter weather play. The signs are small fiberglass ones showing the pin positions but with no way of telling which position the basket is currently in.
There were a couple of holes I especially liked. # 6 is just a little 260' throw across a creek but the basket was set in some trees adding to the challenge. There was a yellow mando?? ribbon tied to one of these trees but I didn't know which way the mando was so I ignored it.
I also liked # 12. It's very narrow with the walking path OB on the left and the canal on the right. This is one of the few really cool basket placements with the basket in this small thicket of trees on a hill. There was a yellow mando ribbon here which I ignored again. Making the mando either direction would make sense to me.
I played early in the morning and there were few golfers on the course. However, the sprinklers were going great guns and the geese were out in large numbers. On 2-3 holes I just had to throw into the flocks of grazing honkers. Yelling "Fore" didn't help as a couple of times my disc went sailing merrily close by nearly conking a Canadian. They just looked up with a look of amused bewilderment on their little goosie faces. Just keep eating your grass and fowling the course for all, boys.
Cons: Course navigation was a little confusing here and there. I didn't get the fax about # 2 being pulled so that was a little confusing. I missed # 5 and then when I figured it out, opted not to go back. It was also puzzling at times to figure out which position the basket was currently in. I tried asking the deaf geese and just got a honk in return.
The mando ribbons weren't clear as to which way the mando was.
I didn't exactly appreciate throwing into the flocks of geese, didn't appreciate walking through them getting to my discs or shooing them off the tee pads and I especially didn't appreciate their goose crap fowling much of the course.
Other Thoughts: Very nice park which is overran with the geese. The water hazards are compounded by the fact the water is dark and murky, to say the least. Avoid these water holes like the plague which is what you might end up with if you do decide to go disc diving. It's just recently been medically proven that the black plague in Europe WAS NOT caused by rats as previously believed BUT was indeed caused by, you guessed it, direct descendants of the Boise Canadian Geese flock.

Crowd pleaser

5+    11/2/2013   12/17/2013
Review By: idahooldguy
Pros: Good variety of hole lengths and obstacles,
Up to 6 different basket locations on some holes
Well-maintained park setting.

Cons: Very crowded unless you play at sunrise.
Lots of duck/goose poop.
Water hazards will swallow discs (bring your floaters and/or retriever
Other Thoughts: Boise needs more summer courses to keep Ann Morrison from getting so crowded. There are many more winter courses to spread out the players. If it weren't so crowded, I would have given this course a 4+..

Flat with Risk/Reward

5+    9/29/2013   9/29/2013
Review By: Ocelotl
Pros: Played multiple times 3 days in a row on a recent work trip.
-Location, course is just a short walk away from where I was staying in downtown, seems like a great central location. I initially walked into the park from the far side, but locals got me to tee 1 with little trouble.
-Maintenance, very well taken care of course, grass was close cropped lending to some awesome rollers on some of the longer holes. The pads are well done, in general a pretty "manicured" feel.
-Signage, there were a couple missing signs but the ones that were there are descriptive and helpful.
-DD truck parked in the lot, Not sure how often the dynamic Discs truck is there but pretty cool to have that parked near hole 1.
-Risk/Reward, a number of the holes that play in and around the waterways offer a couple of cool holes, play the direct path and flirt with water, play safe and have no chance at a bird.
Cons: -Transitions, a couple of longish transitions (especially with out hole 2 being in play) first time around I spent a bit of time lost.
-Duck crap, only a problem on a few holes but never pretty to have a disc land in any type of poop.
-Chuckers, every round I played I had to try and play through at least 1 group of 10+ folks with one disc, not a huge deal but most of the time they weren't very aware of their surroundings, really slowing down a round.
Other Thoughts: A very good course with a mix of different looks/shots. All of my rounds were played with baskets in the same position but some of the alt pins on the signs looked fun. The course is very flat, while not really a con in my book it is always something that adds to the fun.

Overall a place I will for sure play again next time I'm in Boise.

Good Stuff

5+    5/16/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: Casually_Dismissive
Pros: Well executed course. My buddies and I always use this one when we play in Boise as a group.
Cons: They took out the 2nd hole for awhile but added it again for the Masters tournament they had there on Saturday. Hopefully they leave it in.
Other Thoughts: Great place to find discs! Of course we call if there is a number but often there isnt.

My Home Course

5+    10/20/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: Harvy B.
Pros: -Well planned and executed, the pads, pins, and placements are varied and fun.
-Close proximity to downtown Boise and BSU
-Close-ish to my house.
-There are a ton of really cool locals and club members who will let you throw-in with them if you want to throw with a group, or play through if you are in a hurry.
-Varied length of holes and a lot of obstacles to throw around/over/through.
-Very well maintained course, grass is regularly mowed, park is pretty clean (thanks to those who pick up after themselves and the many who pick up after others), trees are healthy and maintained.
-A great course to challenge all of your shots, having the ability to throw a forehand, a backhand, and an overhead shot isn't essential to play this course, but there is definitely a need for all three if you want to throw par or less (playing all par 3).
-Active GSDG (Gem State Disc Golfers) club members are usually around usually really cool and usually willing to play a round.
-Multiple pin placements for every hole.
-No shortage of disc golf shops in Boise, there are two less than a 4 minute drive or 15 minute walk from the course.
-Adult beverages are allowed in cans, sorry no glass bottles.
-Awesome pizza/sandwich shop (Papa Joe's) at the entrance/exit of the park. A very mellow spot to grab a pre/post-round bite or beverage.
Cons: -WATER AND O.B. ARE TREACHEROUS AND WILL STEAL YOUR DISCS. Seriously the water can be pea soup murky or glassy, some O.B.'s have "no trespassing" signs, or worse poison ivy, the mud in the water areas will absolutely consume your leg let alone your disc. One area of water around #12 and #13 is a festering cesspool of goose crap and staff bacteria. Bring a retriever, a buddy, and some hand sanitizer.
-It gets crowded on the weekends and after work hours during the summer. I don't mind usually because I like the opportunity to throw-in with different people, but it can suck if you are trying to squeeze in a quick round.
-There are some inconsiderate turds who leave beer cans and trash on each tee as they play.
-Bums who will hassle you for beers/money/beer-money.
-Some GSDG club members can be self-important friggin jerks.
-Flat
-Some pins placements never moved this summer, most rarely moved. (Hole 15 was in the long position 90% of the summer season) In previous years the club had a pretty clockwork rotation schedule that didn't happen this year.
Other Thoughts: I really love this course, it ain't perfect but it is fun. My con list may read like a "keep-out" banner but I play here several times a week so I have developed a few pet-peeves. This however is the course I learned to play on, so I have a soft-spot for it. I would give it a 3.5 to a 4.0 rating if the course didn't eat so many discs.
In all seriousness if you come to boise come play this course, it rocks.
Also, it is no longer a 20 hole course because of issues with the hotel that runs the length of the old hole #2, and a mysteriously missing basket it is now a 19 hole course.

A Walk in the Park

5+    9/18/2012   9/28/2012
Review By: PSPerkins
This review was updated on 9/29/2012
Pros: A variety of shot shaping holes where most will play best to those with a long arm who can also exercise considerable control.

Park is very accessible for people of all ages and abilities.
Great signage at every tee, which are conrete and built long which is great for sprint-throwers who like a long run up.

Fun obstacles on almost every hole. Sometimes they look much more innocent and innocuous than they actually are.

Multiple routes from the tee to basket on most holes.

Park is well maintained and manicured. Beautiful scenery. Playing this course is indeed a "walk in the park" as they say.

Most hazards have been hit many times by others and there are usually long pointy sticks conveniently placed around them which make fishing your disc out of the ditch pretty painless in most cases.

Multiple basket positions keep the course fresh.
Cons: Two words: bike cops. They can be zealous at times too so keep your eyes peeled if you are *ahem* consuming anything. Beers are ok in cans but no glass allowed in park. Please be considerate with your trash.

It can get pretty crowded on the weekends, but people are for the most part very considerate. We play this course almost every weekend without fail and have only had an encounter with uncooperative people once, maybe twice. Most large parties are happy to let you play through, I know we let others play through all the time if we have a group.

The water can be both murky and extremely glassy, depending on what time of day it is. Either one can make it difficult to find your disc if it goes into the pond. Bring a retriever if you have one and you'll feel a little safer in quite a few places.

This is a multi-use park and they do all sorts of functions there - concerts, balloon lightings, etc etc. You might have your game interrupted by some function or another that draws "outsiders" into the park where they sometimes park their fat asses in the middle of the fairway to eat their McDonalds or whatever, totally oblivious to your game. I have had to skip a hole a couple times due to this. Maybe if I were more willing to be rude myself I would just play through them but I always try to be considerate of others using the park no matter how annoying I sometimes find it.
Other Thoughts: I don't mind the goose poop so much - it's only a couple holes and I usually do not play barefoot, though a lot of people do here.

There are quite a few tourneys played here which can be both a pro and a con. A con if you are looking for a saturday afternoon game and there's a tourney in progress. A pro in that if you like entering them it seems there is about one a month there.

In the evening the pond gets very glassy and reflective. If you lose a disc in there it can sometimes be recovered the next morning when the sun is not on it. Or better yet, take the safe route to the hole as there is in almost every case a safe way to get there and avoid the hazards. Most hazards are situated in a risk v. reward position and the difference is generally birdie v. par - meaning it usually only takes one additional throw to play around them if you choose to.

I have seen players on this course much better than me as well as some not quite as good. The course suits both kinds of player very well. I personally like watching other people throw, especially if they are better than me. I almost always let them play through if for no other reason than to watch how they throw and what line they take.

This was the first course I ever played and over the course of a summer have taken my game down to an average of 3 under par for the whole course.
I will also mention that there is a great casual Italian place on the east side of the park that is great to have a beer and a sandwich on the patio after a good round.

Over all a very nice park and a very playable course that will provide whatever level of challenge you feel like playing to - it's pretty flexible and up to you in most cases.

Personally I like more densely wooded courses with more elevation change but really this course is highly recommended for a nice round in a nice setting with friendly locals.

P.S. Don't let the homeless people frighten you they are mostly harmless and for the most part they stay out of the way. Multiple reviewers mentioned them so I thought I would add some perspective and say that they really are not a problem. It's a nice park and they like to hang out there. I don't blame them one bit.

** added: they removed hole #2 - and put in a practice basket. 19 holes currently. Course skips 2 last few times I played.

Fun long course

5+    7/27/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: ChillyWilly002
Pros: -Well maintained
-Easy to read course map
-Easy course layout so its a course for beginners and people that have been playing for years.
-tee pads are in great shape
-hazards are ponds so no running water so easy to retrive discs
Cons: -Lots of homeless people and creeps hanging out in the park
-People leaving beer cans and trash all over.(when there are trashcans at every other tee)
-Geese can be grouped up on some holes so it can be annoying.
-Hazards can be really murky at times so it can be hard to spot discs
-If you play past noon expect delays because the groups will pile up and you will have people cut in front of you.
-Drunk college students and older folks can make your round annoying with getting in the way and being loud and rude.
Other Thoughts: Overall its a fun course you have to atleast try and its easy for all ages and skill level so bring the family out and enjoy a good soild round.

Great despite the crowds

5+    5/30/2012   5/30/2012
Review By: DoOgSauce
Pros: Well placed tees and trees make shot shaping necessary on most of the holes. Lots of pin placements. The first time I played it was still set up for a recent tournament and it was killer. lots of long holes. Lots of laying up (for me anyway).

I come from the woods of Flagstaff, AZ, so this course is a lot different than what I am used to, but I love that I can throw rollers now!

This course is a great challenge for an average player like me.
Cons: The crowds. It is great that disc golf is getting bigger and more people are playing, but this course has a lot of beer swilling inconsiderate litterers. I pick up at least a half dozen beer cans every time I play. An afternoon round can easily take 3 hours or longer to play.

The geese. they are stinky and annoying.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Go early in the AM to avoid crowds. I wish there were some small nine hole courses in town to provide options to Boise residents.

Home Course

5+    5/1/2011   5/16/2012
Review By: DiscCoulter09
This review was updated on 5/21/2012
Pros: This course has everything for anyone. Some holes are wide open, others are near water, and some use the trees perfectly. The holes range from LONG par 4s to SHORT par 3s. And there are 21 holes and a putting basket. All the wholes have concrete tee pads and each whole has a map with the various basket locations. Basket locations usually change once every 2 weeks and some changes will change the entire whole.
The best time to play is in the spring, but it does get windy. The course is gorgeous then and there are less crowds. the course is well marked with directions to the next wholes. Each whole has a information sign showing the distance, par, and the various locations of the baskets.
The entrance to the summer course is off of Broadway, or you can enter at the main entrance and go all the way through the park, leave the park and then come back in (kind of confusing - go past the Pizza Hut).
The course utilizes the marsh, creeks, trees, and openness of the park wonderfully. Some wholes require a finesse shot and others require to bomb a drive. Also, I am not sure if they are still there, but on the holes along the pond there used to be disc retrievers (they may not be there any more)
Cons: There can be TOO many people, on weekends or summer afternoon expect to wait a long time. Lots of geese and geese poop.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice to see a big map of the course in the center of the park.

Dances with Geese

5+    10/4/2011   1/20/2012
Review By: ohtobediscing
This review was updated on 9/15/2013
Pros: My firebase this summer was near Boise and Ann Mo looked like the only noteworthy course. On Google Earth it looks like a placid park with open fairways, mature trees and an innocuous creek, so I brought 2 drivers, 2 mids and a putter and left my bag in Portland.
After 2 rounds both my drivers were gone.
The course, however, is a lot of fun, with the mostly open fairways letting you air it out, most of the lines playing straight with fades left or right to the basket, freewheeling locals who are happy to show you around, and just enough obstacles to keep things interesting. Grass is well-maintained and so dense that barefoot is wonderful in the summer[though damp in the morning, and Southern-humid midday], and discs rarely skip except in winter when the grass is brown and frosty. Baskets are excellent and moved often[at least 2 placements/hole], and there's a practice basket that collects some of the talented locals. There's enough shade on most tees or near baskets to not suffer too much on those 98+F days, and there's a giant fountain near # 11 that's excellent for temperature relief. Benches are everywhere, and during summer festivals often get moved far from the tee. Portapotties at #1 and bathrooms near #s 8/18, which is the ONLY place to get drinking water [!] in the whole park.
Cons: Its the most popular course in Boise, so after 3 pm weekdays/ noon weekends it gets very crowded. And then there's the creek and ponds.
The creek is only 1-2 ft. deep and 6 ft. wide, but it moves slowly and instantly turns shit brown and reeks if you stir the silt up. The two waist-deep ponds that sideline #s 11-14 are almost always silty. In addition, waist-high grass and tule reeds line the creek 10 ft. to each side. In the 40-50 rounds I played during the summer, I found no less than 100 discs in the creek, woods over the fence at # 16 and roof of the hotel at #2; I was able to return 80 or so. At least two guys make a business of finding and reselling discs, and the local homeless have even gotten into recovering them for drinking cash. On #s 12-14 the Canada geese keep the fairways covered in fresh poop, which is what comprises the 1-2 ft. of silt in the ponds and creek[thus its stench when disturbed].
Trying to stay out of the creek and ponds will make you a better golfer, as they're in play on almost every hole. Wind is an occasional factor on #s 10-14.
Other Thoughts: A couple of summer festivals put a two-day dent in regular play, but it only seemed to make a difference for a few hours or a few holes. An excellent library, Tablerock Brewery and Papa Joe's Coffee and Pizza[Sunday $2 Bloody Marys!] are all within 1/2 mile of the park. Boise Disc Golf is just south of the park on Vista.
***Hole #2 has been removed, due to conflicts with the adjacent residence hotel.

< Prev 1 2 3