Hanover, PA
Codorus State Park - Pines Mini DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg

My First Mini-Course Review!

1    7/20/2013   8/19/2013
Pros: So this was the first official Mini DGC in a U.S. public park. It's set just off the parking area very close to the regular 18 hole DGC here.

The 9 hole course starts with hole 1 in the open and then holes 2-7 play through the Pine trees before coming out into the open again for holes 8 & 9. The course features official SSMDG target baskets (I have no idea what SSMDG stands for? Something-Something-Mini-Disc-Golf??). Anyway, they're nice little baskets.

The hole lengths seemed to be just right for a mini-course, to me? The tees were marked by colored rocks and there were two sets, the red and the blues.
Cons: Hard for me to tell what's a CON on a mini course. I'm hardly an expert.

My biggest concern with a mini course in a public park would be how easy it would be to vandalize these baskets. They're not made as solidly as regular baskets.
Other Thoughts: The course was basically flat, through the Pine trees. I guess it would be a nice change of pace after a grueling day playing Codorus Blue and Red courses. It was nice not carrying my bag over my shoulder!

starryone

5+    10/10/2009   7/30/2010
Review By: starryone
Pros: A mini course in a public park! Nice tee markers. Flows smoothly. the SSMDG targets are sweet. Its always nice to leave the bag in the car!!
Cons: Short ( yes even for a mini course)
Other Thoughts: I won the first tournement held at this course.

Bite-sized fun at Codorus!

1    6/12/2010   6/12/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: - Talk about a relaxing and chill experience after the 54 grueling holes on the rest of the State Park! The grassy lawn and peaceful pine forest help with the serenity.

- A surprising challenge! I only birdied two and had three bogies.

- The pines definitely serve as obstacles. I enjoy how half of the holes are in the pine grove and the other half are out in the open. Slight doglegs are present for both hyzer and anhyzer shots, although I'm starting to wonder if throwing a mini disc with an anyzer angle is even feasible!

- nicely marked tees with the number, but no teepad. (Do you really need a run-up, though?)

- Great for disc golfers of all ages and backgrounds!
Cons: - Only nine holes.

- Wish some of the holes were longer! Maybe a true par 4 in mini golf? And a water hazard (i.e. a puddle?)

- Some of the baskets are getting beaten up. I bet a group of morons probably tried putting their 180 gram discs on the tiny baskets.
Other Thoughts: Before you slam this course for being too small or easy, remember what its true purpose is for: children! That's what the PA state park website for Codorus says, anyway. I think it's really awesome that you can take a toddler here and teach him/her the basic fundamentals of disc golf with a tiny little disc.

Regardless of what your age is, mini disc golf rules! I'm an avid mini disc golfer, although this is my first public course. (I usually just play safari or target with my minis on other courses).

I can't help but chuckle when playing though. I must look ridiculous chucking tiny little minis into a pine forest with baskets that go up to my kneecaps. Oh well, it's still a blast!

I'm going to assume it's average, as it could have been far worse but my mini disc golf utopia would have a lot more.

For Giggles

1    7/15/2009   4/3/2010
Review By: JDaley522
Pros: Nice little mini course...great for kids and true "beginners"
Cons: Not challenging for an avid golfer, but still fun
Other Thoughts: I had played the other Codorus courses, and was standing in the parking lot when I decided to try it. Why not? It was there, and so was I...

2-4    5/4/2009   3/21/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: I love mini golf! This is a great way to wind down a little after playing any of the 54 real holes at Codorus. The course has a good mix of open and wooded holes and has two tee's per hole. The mini course is very well maintained and is a convenient location relative to the rest of the disc golf activities.
Cons: On a few holes it is a little vague which hole the tee's are heading towards. There are only 9 Holes! I know those little baskets are kind of expensive but 18 holes with a little more hole variety would be awsome.
Other Thoughts: Codorus has 54 very nice holes and this little 9 hole mini course is a perfect example of why it is such a special destination for disc golf. It is the perfect extra touch.

Miniture 9 hole

2-4    10/8/2009   11/5/2009
Review By: Joe Hollywood
Pros: Fun little 9 hole. Starts out in the open on hole 1, then holes 2 - 7 are mostly in the woods where it loops around coming back out near where you start, then holes 8 & 9 are in the open again. Nice little layout for some quick matches. Great way to settle a tie on the full size course or just to have a little fun with out carrying around all your full size discs. Two different tee off spots for each hole (red tee & blue tee).
Cons: This is the only mini course I've played so far. That being said I don't find much wrong with it. I don't expect a mini course to have full size tee off boxes. This one had square rocks with a painted red or blue hole number. There wasn't anything to tell you were the hole was in relationship to the tee but then again it's a mini course and you don't really have to walk all that far to see the hole from the tee.
Other Thoughts: All in all it's a fun "mini" course. My brother and I use this as our finishing game to give us another chance to get a win against the other for the day. It's funny, we must look like two little kids running around to each hole throwing are marker disc around and laughing.

Not too thrilling for me

1    3/1/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: Godard
Pros: Most of the pins are in the woods, which is nice. 54 real holes on premises, so you can get some traditional disc golf in. Two tees on every hole.
Cons: Bland. None of the baskets were anywhere other than the open, even when in the woods. Got bored after about 4 holes.
Other Thoughts: Maybe I'm just not cut out for mini golf?