Glenwood Springs, CO
Colorado Mountain College, Glenwood Share
Uploaded By: bobmcnelly Hole #10 (Taken 8/2012)
3 / 347ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
One of my favorite courses!

2-4    7/21/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: discgolfe
This review was updated on 7/25/2014
Pros: I played this course with my dad and we both really liked it. It is definitely my favorite course in Colorado that I have played
- All of the tees are concrete and are in good shape
- The course is well laid out, we were able to find the next tee no problem after every hole
- None of the holes were too hard, I would say I am a beginner-intermediate player and I honestly felt like I had a chance get a birdie or a par on every hole. The holes were challenging but not to the point of "eh this hole isn't for me".
- There was no real danger of having a disc rolling away, as is a risk on other mountain courses.
- The scenery is magnificent, Mt. Sopris is a perfect backdrop.
- Hole 2 is a phenomenal hole that I can't wait to play again. Sopris and the crater are awesome!
- I really liked the vegetation, there were tumble weeds and desert brush, but I was always able to locate my discs with ease.
- Good signage throughout
- The course designers did a great job with what they had
Cons: All of these cons were not a big deal and are some what nit-picky
- Lack of any trash cans - I understand why they don't have any but I prefer to have them on courses :)
- The Tee signs were pretty faded, could be replaced but I could figure out where the holes were.
- On hole 12 we messed up and threw into hole 10's basket, (So what I'm getting at is sometimes its difficult to find out what basket is for that hole)
Other Thoughts: This is a great course! I highly recommend it! Go play if you are in the area, you won't regret it!

Beautiful, and Technical

1    6/23/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: HontechJR
Pros: * Tees are wide at the back and taper toward the front, making it nice for throwing at a off angle from the end of the tee and giving you good space for a run up to throw.
* Clean course
* Well laid out course brings you back to the parking area nicely
* Post at each Tee that gives you an Idea of where to throw, even if you can't see the Pin (Basket)
* Multiple Pins (Baskets) (usually 2 - 4) makes it fun to throw multiple times
* Pins (Baskets) are bright Yellow and some have flags of orange poles out the top making it a little easier to spot where you need to throw.
* Most (if not every) Tee has a bench or Place to sit
Cons: * Some of the Pin (Basket) locations make it so you have to cross back through the filed of play to get to the next hole (only a Con if the course is busy)
* Some of the posts markings showing the pin (Basket) locations have gotten wet making them hard to read.
* Even with the post markings, some of the holes lead you to throw almost blind in a general direction since you can't see where the Pins (Baskets) are located.
* Even with the signs point toward a next Tee, Sometimes it is tricky to see where the next Tee is located (on the flip side, you can see where others have left a trail which gives you a good idea as to where it is)
* Wind in the High altitude can be a challenge on many holes where height is needed.
Other Thoughts: This is a Favorite course for me. Forcing me to use different throws and different discs to make it through the course.
Hole 2, was a great way to use a crater (the pins when I played were all on the ridge on the other side), adding a challenging twist to the beginning of the course.
I wouldn't have a beginner try this course, due to the technical holes making it hard to hit par. Yet as my first time playing this hole, I had 1 birdie, and was usually 1 or two over (I played all holes as a par 3).
The thin air (high altitude) makes for a tough play, for me it seemed my discs just did not have the float time that they normally have at lower altitude making it hard for longer shots.
I highly recommend this course, and if you have someone to spot discs and Pins (Baskets) with you, it makes for a great place to throw.

2-4    7/2/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: skeeter308
Pros: The course is very well laid out. Maps with pin placement and distances at each hole Great use of terrain to challange you to consider shots.
Cons: Unable to come up with any at this point
Other Thoughts: I absolutely love hole 2 the way the crater is used. I look forward to playing it again.

1    5/31/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: RibDaddy
Pros: Course is in good shape, 1st time played. They have tried to do a good job of good course sign and next tee signs. Course was nicely layed out with some good variety.
Cons: Several holes were similar, Drive in the open then basket was protected in the trees 30-50 back.

Fun technical mountain course

2-4    5/30/2013   5/31/2013
Review By: Xiou
Pros: Nicely laid out course, pretty easy to follow the signs to the baskets. We didnt know about the extra holes and went from 2 and played a few more holes before we ended up on 4 however. Technical shots for a lot of holes and a few wide open ones to let you see how the wind wants to help (or hurt) you.
Cons: I found some holes were a little too technical with no good way to effectively make it to the hole. Wind can carry your discs away with the high wind and changes of elevation.
Other Thoughts: It was one of my favorite courses in colorado so far (i prefer technical over open) and the views from the course are amazing.

One of Colorado's Best

2-4    8/25/2012   8/26/2012
Review By: Wise Fool
Pros: -Very nice long concrete tee-pads
-Bright baskets that are easy to see
-Very large vareity of holes that will challenge the different types of shots in your bag (wide open bombers, wooded, elevation changes, etc.)
-All of the holes have at least 2 or more different pin positions
-The course has a large variety of distances on it (the distances range from about 250 to about 600 feet depending on which pin positions are currently in)
-The holes are well-designed and some of them present quite a challenge
-The tee-signs are very nice as they show all the pin positions, give the distance from all the pin positions and also show an overhead view and from the tee-box view of the hole
-Almost every hole has a bench on it or somewhere to sit and take a break, which is nice because this course gets warm and is a bit of a hike
Cons: -There are a few spots on this course where it can be hard to navigate to the next hole especially when certain pin positions are in (There are signs that point to the next tee-pad but they don't always point in the right direction)
-On some holes if the basket is in a certain pin position you have to walk back up the fairway to get to the next holes, which could lead to some safety issues if the course is crowded
-Some of the teepads are raised slightly above the ground and have a bit of a drop off (Hole 2 has a major drop-off in front of the teepad) that if you are not careful could lead to a twisted ankle or something like that.
Other Thoughts: This course is one of the best courses I have played in Colorado. It is an absolute blast to play and has a ton of fun really well designed holes that will definitely challenge you. This course is definitely worth driving too and playing no matter the distance.

Destination ,destination ,destination !!!!! Amazing!!!!!

1    8/20/2012   8/25/2012
Review By: cat5
Pros: Where to begin??? This coarse is amazing! Each hole is very well defined, minimal confusion. Really challenging and fun shots. Amazing views of surrounding Aspen,Vail,and Snowmass. Very clean and well maintained. Met a bunch of really cool fellow disc players as well.
Cons: None for the most part. There are 2 or 3 holes with thick trees, but that's what they have the tomahawk throw.
Other Thoughts: This is an amazing coarse!!! I would for sure consider this a destination coarse. If your really all about it, you could make it a weekend trip. Play this coarse on Saturday and then drive 45 minutes up the road and play Snowmass. A lot of fun and the local disc community are great people.

Home Sweet Home

5+    6/25/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: Tucker Calhoon
Pros: I'm a local player, and volunteer for the local club. That being noted, this is my favorite course I've played anywhere in the country. I feel so lucky I get to play here everyday. The views of the mountains to the south are dramatic and awe inspiring; sunsets are a like a dream. Each hole has 2 or 3 positions, which are moved around regularly so its ever changing. Great lengths have been made to create signage for each hole at the tees with accurate distances, and as of this past week each hole has a "to the next tee" directional sign in order to make it user friendly for folks on their first visit.

Favorites are #2 which is over a huge crater, and #8 which is long and open with a technical ending zone. I love the whole course actually; each hole is well thought out. Many holes end left, and just as many end right. Bring a full bag, and a big arm.

Cons: I don't know; wish they weren't so strict about the "dogs on leashes" thing. The campus police are all over you if they see your dog running around off leash. The course itself isn't lacking anything I can think of.
Other Thoughts: I give this course a 5 with complete sincerity. I can't think of anything its lacking, comparing to other big courses I've seen. I played De Lavega last winter, and this one isn't lacking anything they have there in Santa Cruz; actually our 12' concrete tee pads are better than theirs, and our signage is better too! I'm just saying. I did love De Lavega, and many others that I've played, but this course is my all time favorite.

1    6/15/2012   6/21/2012
Review By: MightyJeff
Pros: -Breathtaking views. Mt. Sopris is visible throughout the course, and the mountain setting is pretty much unbeatable in terms of ideal surroundings for a round of disc golf
-Just the right amount of elevation change. While you won't be hiking thousands of feet up and down mountains, you'll get a nice little workout with the topography of the course.
-Really good mix of types of holes. There are open holes, tight wooded holes, doglegs, blind shots, uphill, downhill, flat...
-Pretty hard to lose a disc for such a challenging course. The wind, shrubs, and trees may give you hell here and there, but you'll find your plastic.
-Detailed signs, trapezoidal concrete tee pads, and benches made of either logs or snowboards at each tee.
Cons: -It can be tricky to navigate at certain points for first-timers. I got lost once or twice. One time I asked for help from a local on another hole, and he said "you're playing this alone for the first time? If I were in your situation I'd probably have given up and started hunting deer". It wasn't that bad, but take a good hard look at the course map before you make your drive on hole 1.
-The wind is brutal on this course. More times than not I was driving with my Whippet, which only gets pulled out of the bag rarely, because it was the only thing that could handle the random but frequent gusts.
-The mountain vegetation will eat up your plastic. The sandy dirt is almost like a pillow for a falling disc, but the shrubs will tear your pro-D and DX discs to shreds.
Other Thoughts: If you are even remotely near Glenwood Springs, you really owe it to yourself to play this course. It's challenging without being ridiculously hard, it's in a breathtaking locale, and you'll need every shot you know to get through it. What else could you ask for?

1    5/6/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: bobmcnelly
This review was updated on 6/4/2013
Pros: Good Tee boxes and baskets. Some real good tech trees shots. Really easy to find you way around the course. Great photos at all the tees showing possible pin locations. A real good variety of shots.
Cons: No trash cans on the course at all. So make sure you hold on to your trash.
Other Thoughts: This is a really good course the multiple pin locations keep the course fresh i just wish I could play the course more often.

< Prev 1 2 3