Odessa, TX
Comanche Trail DGC Share
Uploaded By: BewareOfPenguin   (Taken 6/2010)
Park Sign

Comanche- Odessa

1    2/16/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: This is definitely the best course in the area. The locals were friendly and explained where every hole is before I played my round. I loved hole 6 where you shoot out of a tunnel and the basket is tucked away to the left. It reminded me of hole 13 at Bill Allen (colony, TX). I liked the mix of open holes and the more tight wooded holes that you experience from holes 12- 18. The park also has bathrooms and parking. Even though there are no tees signs at least the park has a wooden post painted blue that tells you where to tee off from.
Cons: I would of liked to see some tee signs and a course map. Finding hole 9 could prove challenging if I didn't have a conversation with a local who mentioned where I could find it. Tee pads would be nice because the dirt was extremely bumpy. The park is extremely crowded not from Disc Golfers but from people fishing by the first two holes. It is dangerous throwing in on them and also the walking path that runs threw most of the course. There is plenty of parking but it is used by all the fisherman so space is actually limited.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my time at this course and enjoyed a lot of the shots that the course offered including 6 and the wooded section.

5+    10/29/2012   11/9/2012
Review By: KKenyon12
Pros: This course offers several challenges and everyone that normally plays there is nice and respectful of other players on the course. This course reminds me a lot of a course I played a coulple of years back in The Woodlands, Tx.
Cons: All of the fishermen in Winter months. If you are new disc golf and cant control your throws its likely you will go into the pond on hole 1 or 2. East of hole number 3 there is a drainage ditch that has claimed several victims. Very hard to get in there especially after a rain but thats not an issue very often.
Other Thoughts: Wish it wasn't against the rules to drink beer on the course. I could spend 12hrs a weekend out there. Other than that this is a great course for all to play.

Enjoyable Course

2-4    8/14/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: SKnight579
This review was updated on 8/31/2010
Pros: Great variation of shots, had to use all different types of discs for different shots and really enjoyed that. Real nice park with bathrooms nearby and 21 holes is sweet
Cons: Some shots have you going right next to the interstate, my brother made one bad shot and lost a disc in the middle of the interstate somewhere. Alot of the shots put you skimming the edge of the park, and if your rather inexperienced as I am, you can loose one fairly easily over a fence or in the swamp on hole 3.
Other Thoughts: Overall I quite enjoyed the course, not one that I would like to play daily, but quite nice every now and then. The rough is as others have said is VERY rough, took some time to find a few discs but at least I found them. Take some bright BRIGHT discs to make that easier, the rough made things quite interesting though, I actually quite liked the back 9 that had the more troublesome shots in the rough, watch for snakes and take some OFF to help with the bug bites int he rough.

Nice Variety

1    6/13/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: BewareOfPenguin
Pros: Nice variety of shots. Quite a few "blind" shots. Being familiar with the course will add to the playing enjoyment. The course is set up in an intuitive manner. By that, I mean, finding the next tee pad after a basket is relatively easy. The course starts pretty straightforward for about the first 5 holes. Then on hole #6 (I think) there's a tight, tunnel-type shot off the tee that I've yet to see elsewhere. Holes #12-15 offer quite a divergence from the rest of the park. Hole #17 has a very unique basket placement. The basket was placed right in the middle of a multi-trunked tree. It's inspired. I enjoyed it, despite it's mischievous nature.
Cons: I was a little uneasy with the dirt tee boxes. I've got a gimpy ankle and the lumpy nature of the tee pads made me hesitant to really get into my tee shots. Some areas of the course are prone to ants, so step lively and don't hang out in one spot for too long. Although I didn't see any, I would think that parts of this course would be prime hiding places for snakes. Just something to keep in mind when scanning the rough for lost discs. Also, the occasional horn/beep sound from the water park across the highway can be rather distracting. If you've been there, you know what I mean.
Other Thoughts: This course really surprised me. It was more than I expected. I like the placement of some of the baskets. Although the lake doesn't pose a threat, the baskets are placed so that natural foliage gives the player something to content with. I liked the mix of park-style holes and desert-style holes.

It's "different"...

1    12/17/2009   12/18/2009
Review By: eegor
This review was updated on 9/17/2010
Pros: Nice, well maintained park with restrooms and a nice lake. Playing through a prairie dog town in the second fairway is... different. The brush on holes 12 through 15 is unlike any other course. You can throw over it, you can get out of it, and it makes the holes the best on the course. A good shot puts you under the basket. A bad shot puts you in a strange stance without the ability to step into the throw. A lot of "different" desert vegetation. The open holes play on very well maintained short grass. For those not familiar with Texas, even the fairway will have stickers... the rough is very, very rough.

Not near as repetitious as I thought it was going to be.

Good quality baskets. Holes 3 through 21 are in good places for disc golf.
Cons: Although the rough is very rough, the lack of anything over 20 feet tall to get in your way makes recovery pretty easy. There's no real "scary" water hazard. The one time a basket is placed next to the water, an easy layup next to the water, gives you a 40 foot approach under the basket for an easy par.

The day I played, the families at the lake had no clue what disc golf was... they wandered into the first two fairways... innocently unknowing. People were catching fish (at least the water supports life). The lake is no real hazard.

Natural tees, but they weren't that bad... since the desert doesn't stay muddy for very long. I don't think the dirt would be that bad wet... (considering that I'm from the Dallas area with black clay... slippery when wet and stays that way a long time).

No real difficult hole(s). This is my biggest problem with the course.

You may spend a lot of time looking for your discs in the very, very rough on holes 12-15.
Other Thoughts: Considering the elevation from the highest part of the park to the bottom of the "hazard" on #9 is about 15 feet, you can't fault the designers for "lack of elevation changes". They did a real good job of taking the land they had and putting a playable course on it that isn't boring.

I will play this course again, because it's the only one in Odessa and is "kinda" fun. It's good for a nice round and you get to look at a large variety of desert vegetation and a prairie dog town, up close.

Take bandages and antiseptic for cuts you may get in the rough. Wear good shoes.

Local Ingenuity

5+    3/19/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: CircleC
Pros: Being from Austin, I have the ability to play 25 different (good) courses within an hours drive.(and I do often)-- Comanche Trail course is very unique. The first part of the course is pretty much open with a few trees, played around a nice little lake(saw people catching fish) and over the only prarie dog town I've seen on a disc golf course.Followed by a couple of pretty wooded shots ) . The back part of the corse is pretty natural(lots of sticky stuff). If you know your disc, you won't have a problem finding it. The last few holes are pretty open. The very last hole is pretty long and straight with big pines.(and O.B.) .Overall I would put it up against several courses in Austin (it test your abilities).
Cons: Not good tee signs and directional markers
Other Thoughts: If you don't want to lose your disc (practice)
This course has several great holes.