Odessa, TX
Comanche Trail DGC Share
Uploaded By: BewareOfPenguin Hole #6 (Taken 6/2010)
-- / --   3 / 259ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Comanche- Odessa

1    2/16/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: This is definitely the best course in the area. The locals were friendly and explained where every hole is before I played my round. I loved hole 6 where you shoot out of a tunnel and the basket is tucked away to the left. It reminded me of hole 13 at Bill Allen (colony, TX). I liked the mix of open holes and the more tight wooded holes that you experience from holes 12- 18. The park also has bathrooms and parking. Even though there are no tees signs at least the park has a wooden post painted blue that tells you where to tee off from.
Cons: I would of liked to see some tee signs and a course map. Finding hole 9 could prove challenging if I didn't have a conversation with a local who mentioned where I could find it. Tee pads would be nice because the dirt was extremely bumpy. The park is extremely crowded not from Disc Golfers but from people fishing by the first two holes. It is dangerous throwing in on them and also the walking path that runs threw most of the course. There is plenty of parking but it is used by all the fisherman so space is actually limited.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my time at this course and enjoyed a lot of the shots that the course offered including 6 and the wooded section.

Odessa's Best

1    12/18/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
This review was updated on 1/4/2013
Pros: This is a course that, on the outset, looks like one of your typical open courses found in most parks. And it is, until a player makes it to hole 12. Then the fun begins. But first things first. Holes 1-11 play around the main body of the park facing the freeway and are fairly easy, with the exceptions of holes 6 and 11. This is providing the wind is down and you are having a good throwing day. Hole 6 has a tunnel shot through some trees out into the open and is pretty easy to play from there. Hole 11 has a shot straight to a basket that is lodged in a tree and cannot be aced, only birdied or parred. Hole 12 takes you back into the scrub behind the clear part of the park for all the fun. Holes 12-14 are easy deuce or par holes, but 15 has a slight curve to the left and is in some trees. Fortunately, I was able to tomahawk close to the basket for a par on this one. Hole 16 is in a part of the scrub that is completely enshrouded in trees. I saw no other type of shot that would help on this hole but a roller, which is the only throw I do not do, so I played pinball among the trees and counted myself lucky that I got out with a double bogey. Hole 17 is like 16, just less trees. Hole 18 is pretty open with a little scrub to deal with. Hole 19 is the old hole 16. Holes 20 and 21 are the previous holes 17 & 18.
Cons: The course is mostly open and not many challenges here, excepting hole 16, which is the most difficult hole i have seen yet. The course has restrooms and plenty of trash cans, so that is actually a plus. Navigation is not too difficult, but the course could benefit from a course map up front. Not much else that I can think of here.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course to play as a stop-over on a trip for visiting disc golfers. I can imagine the locals like it. It is the only decent disc golf course within more than 40 miles in any direction. People there were friendly and I even got some pointers from some players I met while there. I liked it. I probably will be back to play again.

5+    10/29/2012   11/9/2012
Review By: KKenyon12
Pros: This course offers several challenges and everyone that normally plays there is nice and respectful of other players on the course. This course reminds me a lot of a course I played a coulple of years back in The Woodlands, Tx.
Cons: All of the fishermen in Winter months. If you are new disc golf and cant control your throws its likely you will go into the pond on hole 1 or 2. East of hole number 3 there is a drainage ditch that has claimed several victims. Very hard to get in there especially after a rain but thats not an issue very often.
Other Thoughts: Wish it wasn't against the rules to drink beer on the course. I could spend 12hrs a weekend out there. Other than that this is a great course for all to play.

1    1/22/2011   1/24/2011
Review By: plackey
Pros: Great distance and obstructions to play around.
Cons: A map is not provided and the holes are not marked well. Luckily I ran across people who had played before and they were very helpful. Not a good course to introduce someone to DG on. My friend hated the disorganization.
Other Thoughts: Will play again just to get to know the course a little better.

1    9/6/2010   9/13/2010
Review By: dchirish123
Pros: Nice variety of holes. Very challenging back side. (Watch out for snakes!)
Cons: Not well marked. No concrete tee pads. No distance markers or directions to pin. Plays on walking path that was a problem when a lot of people are out walking.
Other Thoughts: Liked the course but might not return due to the interference with walkers.

Enjoyable Course

2-4    8/14/2010   8/14/2010
Review By: SKnight579
This review was updated on 8/31/2010
Pros: Great variation of shots, had to use all different types of discs for different shots and really enjoyed that. Real nice park with bathrooms nearby and 21 holes is sweet
Cons: Some shots have you going right next to the interstate, my brother made one bad shot and lost a disc in the middle of the interstate somewhere. Alot of the shots put you skimming the edge of the park, and if your rather inexperienced as I am, you can loose one fairly easily over a fence or in the swamp on hole 3.
Other Thoughts: Overall I quite enjoyed the course, not one that I would like to play daily, but quite nice every now and then. The rough is as others have said is VERY rough, took some time to find a few discs but at least I found them. Take some bright BRIGHT discs to make that easier, the rough made things quite interesting though, I actually quite liked the back 9 that had the more troublesome shots in the rough, watch for snakes and take some OFF to help with the bug bites int he rough.

Nice Variety

1    6/13/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: BewareOfPenguin
Pros: Nice variety of shots. Quite a few "blind" shots. Being familiar with the course will add to the playing enjoyment. The course is set up in an intuitive manner. By that, I mean, finding the next tee pad after a basket is relatively easy. The course starts pretty straightforward for about the first 5 holes. Then on hole #6 (I think) there's a tight, tunnel-type shot off the tee that I've yet to see elsewhere. Holes #12-15 offer quite a divergence from the rest of the park. Hole #17 has a very unique basket placement. The basket was placed right in the middle of a multi-trunked tree. It's inspired. I enjoyed it, despite it's mischievous nature.
Cons: I was a little uneasy with the dirt tee boxes. I've got a gimpy ankle and the lumpy nature of the tee pads made me hesitant to really get into my tee shots. Some areas of the course are prone to ants, so step lively and don't hang out in one spot for too long. Although I didn't see any, I would think that parts of this course would be prime hiding places for snakes. Just something to keep in mind when scanning the rough for lost discs. Also, the occasional horn/beep sound from the water park across the highway can be rather distracting. If you've been there, you know what I mean.
Other Thoughts: This course really surprised me. It was more than I expected. I like the placement of some of the baskets. Although the lake doesn't pose a threat, the baskets are placed so that natural foliage gives the player something to content with. I liked the mix of park-style holes and desert-style holes.

It's "different"...

1    12/17/2009   12/18/2009
Review By: eegor
This review was updated on 9/17/2010
Pros: Nice, well maintained park with restrooms and a nice lake. Playing through a prairie dog town in the second fairway is... different. The brush on holes 12 through 15 is unlike any other course. You can throw over it, you can get out of it, and it makes the holes the best on the course. A good shot puts you under the basket. A bad shot puts you in a strange stance without the ability to step into the throw. A lot of "different" desert vegetation. The open holes play on very well maintained short grass. For those not familiar with Texas, even the fairway will have stickers... the rough is very, very rough.

Not near as repetitious as I thought it was going to be.

Good quality baskets. Holes 3 through 21 are in good places for disc golf.
Cons: Although the rough is very rough, the lack of anything over 20 feet tall to get in your way makes recovery pretty easy. There's no real "scary" water hazard. The one time a basket is placed next to the water, an easy layup next to the water, gives you a 40 foot approach under the basket for an easy par.

The day I played, the families at the lake had no clue what disc golf was... they wandered into the first two fairways... innocently unknowing. People were catching fish (at least the water supports life). The lake is no real hazard.

Natural tees, but they weren't that bad... since the desert doesn't stay muddy for very long. I don't think the dirt would be that bad wet... (considering that I'm from the Dallas area with black clay... slippery when wet and stays that way a long time).

No real difficult hole(s). This is my biggest problem with the course.

You may spend a lot of time looking for your discs in the very, very rough on holes 12-15.
Other Thoughts: Considering the elevation from the highest part of the park to the bottom of the "hazard" on #9 is about 15 feet, you can't fault the designers for "lack of elevation changes". They did a real good job of taking the land they had and putting a playable course on it that isn't boring.

I will play this course again, because it's the only one in Odessa and is "kinda" fun. It's good for a nice round and you get to look at a large variety of desert vegetation and a prairie dog town, up close.

Take bandages and antiseptic for cuts you may get in the rough. Wear good shoes.

Local Ingenuity

5+    3/19/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: CircleC
Pros: Being from Austin, I have the ability to play 25 different (good) courses within an hours drive.(and I do often)-- Comanche Trail course is very unique. The first part of the course is pretty much open with a few trees, played around a nice little lake(saw people catching fish) and over the only prarie dog town I've seen on a disc golf course.Followed by a couple of pretty wooded shots ) . The back part of the corse is pretty natural(lots of sticky stuff). If you know your disc, you won't have a problem finding it. The last few holes are pretty open. The very last hole is pretty long and straight with big pines.(and O.B.) .Overall I would put it up against several courses in Austin (it test your abilities).
Cons: Not good tee signs and directional markers
Other Thoughts: If you don't want to lose your disc (practice)
This course has several great holes.

quite a good course

5+    4/12/2011   8/17/2009
Review By: diskritter
This review was updated on 4/14/2011
Pros: This course is really about as good as it gets for what is available. There are many interesting shots that if you throw well, put you in a good position and if you have grip-lock, could put you in a world of hurt. Pretty decent shot variety. Several blind shots make for exciting rips. The more I play it, the more lines I find to the baskets so it doesnt get old. Well maintained course with few area where you have to walk on tall grass (unless you botched your throw.) Easy access to Mckinney Park across the highway if you want to get in another 9. The addition of holes 15, 16, and 17 in the back set will really help your score or really hurt it. Cool holes.
Cons: I really hated this course when I first moved here because, honestly, for someone who plays this course for the first time, it is easy to lose discs and easy to get cut up and dirty. There is a lot of "west texas/desert" foliage that can, and given the chance, will tear you up so be careful. The natural tee pads are a pain... if it ever does rain here, it muddies them up and people still throw from them making them very uneven as they dry. Concrete Tee pads are necessary and would make this course SOO much more enjoyable. They have recently marked the tee markers with distances for whatever that's worth. People can sometimes be a problem. Ive never hit anyone, but i sure have been close. Winter months they stock the pond with trout and people are constantly out there, so watch where you throw.
Other Thoughts: When i first started playing this course it was a challenging and a down right dirty course that frustrated me with it's lack of variety. After playing it probably 75 times, I have come to realize that it really is a great course and the designers have done everything possible to make it a fantastic course. It definitely could use better markers and some tee pads, but overall it is a very enjoyable course.. muuuuch better than Midland's course (no offense). My advice would be, dont just play it once. It gets more and more enjoyable each time you play it.