Grass Valley, CA
Uploaded By: humchris85

A MUST PLAY

2-4    3/30/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: JMONEY
Pros: This is a challenging course and not for your beginner level players. The tee pads are concrete and angled proportionately towards the basket regardless of pin locations. There are tee signs at all holes giving distance and multiple pin locations. Next tee signs are placed accordingly where needed. The locals are friendly and it never seems crowded. The park is dog friendly and there are restrooms near the parking lot. Benches and trash cans are throughout the course
Cons: No current pin location on signs. This made it hard to locate the basket unless you walk down and looked for it, since some baskets were blind holes!
Other Thoughts: A very clean and challenging course! The hard clay can play a part of your game here either skipping or rolling away. This course has some incredible pin locations that will always challenge the most experienced DG'er, like hole #11. I brought a friend along and after hole#2 he said" this is my favorite course"!

1    12/26/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: LocalsRoute
Pros: My favorite course of all. Has great shots. So many trees nice cool running water and the smell is jus that good.
Cons: some holes need some updating because of all new plastic.
Other Thoughts: As the popularity continues to grow in dg I hope all that find this piece of heaven cherish it.

Quickly becoming my favorite

5+    12/14/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: renotahoedg
Pros: Great concrete tee pads
Benches on each hole
Great signs showing where the next tee is
BEAUTIFUL SCENERY
Tight, technical course, which suits my stlye of play
Cons: Althought the signage is adequate, they need to find a way to show which placement the basket is at. Something like Penn Valley would work, but the spinners that Truckee, Bijou, Zephyr, and Reno use would be ideal.
Very busy on weekends
Other Thoughts: This is quickly becoming my favorite course. It was very frustrating when I was starting out as it is very tight which is tough for beginners.

I now love it because almost every hole is just as easy to deuce as it is to double bogey. Every shot must be on or your score will suffer

My experience with Condon

5+    10/16/2009   10/23/2009
Review By: Shaggles
Pros: Great to sharpen your medium to short range game shots. This course is also a very good course to practice technical shots on.Has a lot of gaps and or obstacles on every hole through out the course. Not an easy game for the begginer. I like this courses layout its well designed and the signs to the next tee are clear and visible. I also enjoy the fact that hole 9 and hole 18 both end at the parking lot. One of my favorite tee offs is hole thirteen, which is the first hole you tee off over the creek. Hard in the fact that if you don`t throw far enough your disc rolls down the steep hil into the creek. I think this is a good "short game" course and can be played in aout an hour. When I want a good challenge I lay at Condon. You`ll alwaysfind your disc when you throw off thefairway because there are alot of foot paths through the bushes which is very convienant.
Cons: This course has a lot of thick manzanita and trees so if yourtrhow is off your in the bush lookin for your disc and it can be tough to get out ofsometimes. I think a major downfall of this course is the approach tothe pin on hole 11 its only got a narrow 8ft. wide hallway to throw down so If your of even by a little your bush wackin. Hole 3 can be a little frustrating aswell the pins far down the hill and up the next one and the fairway runsaway from it to the right generally. So you got to throw hard and long otherwise your in the bush. The tee off signs show where the pins are but they don`t mark which spot the pins at so that can be sloghtly confusing to someone who is playing for their first time there. Very crowded almost everday after 12 noon :(.
Other Thoughts: GREAT course to sharpen your technical throwing capabilities on. The firstcouple times I played throguh it I hated it because of allthe trees on the course. But then after playing for a while I got better came back and was more successful at getting the pins in par or birdie. Definately a course for someone who knows howto manipulate thier disc through complicated/ noarrow gaps. All in All I give Condon two thumbs up. I invite you to try it out if you are ever in Grass Valley.

1    8/27/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: WilltheNurse
Pros: Best course I have played. A definite destination course. An excellent mix of holes. A great flow over the entire course. A beautiful location to have a disc golf course.
Cons: It is all the way in grass valley. besides that, not sure what to complain about.
Other Thoughts: Great course, definitely my favorite i have played

A gem in the foothills

1    2/2/2009   2/2/2009
Review By: JHern
Pros: Moderately hilly, many older mature trees, a fantastic pine scent everywhere, pine needles and deciduous leaves carpeting the ground, a creek that comes into play in the back 9, and fairways cut through manzanita undergrowth provide the backdrop for a very enjoyable 18 holes. This place feels very rural and outdoorsy but is surrounded by a quaint town.

This is a technical course, where accuracy reigns supreme. While some may find the shorter holes to be a drawback, it is kind of refreshing to play at a course that rewards well-thrown slower flying discs. I took out my Glide and used it on many holes, a disc I don't use nearly as often elsewhere. Putters also play well on most holes. The locals were friendly, and very welcoming.

Many of the holes are tantalizingly short, and you'll find that you play the course thinking that you could get an ace on just about any hole. Only trick is to find a route through the trees, which is usually tight. I recall hearing many more discs chopping wood in the ambient background sound than the sound of chains.

A moderately good player could probably rack up a lot of birdies on this course. But to be competitive with others you would need a balanced game, throwing both backhand and forehand (or right and left handed) in a controlled way to get through the trees.

The park was very clean and well cared for, and there was a maintenance worker there who appears to be a full-time caretaker.
Cons: Some markers are missing or vandalized, and your first time it might take a little time to find your way from some of the holes to the next unless you follow a group of locals.

If you are a big distance freak and little else, you probably won't like this course.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice course, and well worth the drive. You could easily play this course as well as Auburn (or another course in the area) in a single day.

I didn't find the manzanita to be all that bad. It is not very dense, especially for manzanita, so it is easy to get in and out of every grove to find your disc.

Fun and Challenging

2-4    5/1/2006   1/2/2009
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Great variety, fun, challenging and creative layout. No apparent lefty/righty bias, and not excessively long.
Cons: Lots of blind shots and the dreaded Manzanita which is bloody awful.
Other Thoughts: Another course that always leaves me hungry for more. I never shoot as well as I think I can, this course always finds a way to humble me.

Awesome

2-4    12/10/2008   12/22/2008
Review By: pineappaloupe
Pros: Tight fairways, lots of scrub, but due to heavy use and maintenance it is reasonably easy to find discs.
Very interesting holes, lots of hidden alleys that the locals know well. Numerous hole locations.
Lots of variety, nice locals.
Cons: The hole locations are not identified well on the signs.
Other Thoughts: I will be traveling to this course a lot this winter, as my local one will be snowed in (hopefully for awhile).

Wow

1    10/26/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: J.Koeberlein
Pros: Good setting loads of trees elevation changes and water. The course is laid out nice and easy to find. We only had a few seconds of confusion on two holes.
A challenge and sometimes a tree can be your friend.
Cons: A few very mean spirited holes.
One has a long right hand curve and then the pin is in a thicket of Manzanita. Our new players had fits. Speaking of Manzanita disks will not blow through this stuff, if you hit it you stop and crawling through a thicket will get you scratched. Very busy let smaller groups play through.
Other Thoughts: I want to play this course again it really kicked my a$$.

Grass Valley ... Need I Say More?

1    5/10/2005   8/21/2008
Review By: JerryChesterson
Pros:
- Great Course, Great Design.
- Good mixture of hole types
- Good Community of Golfers
- Nice Elevation changes and water in play
- Good facilities too (bathroom, other park amenities)
Cons:
- Busy Busy Busy
- Other than that a really nice course to challenge players of all levels.
Other Thoughts: Played this on my NorCal disc golfing adventure in 05. Great course!