Grand Junction, CO

1 2 Next >
 Fun course

5+    7/30/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: Brad T
Pros: Very challanging for the beginner. Great course for experienced golfer. Lots of ups and downs. Great workout if you jog it. Nice view of the valley off #13 tee. Excellent to play and watch awesome sunsets year round. Nice tees big cement great job GVDG!!
Cons: Hot in the middle of the summer and it is muddy after a storm...but it hardly ever rains in GJ. City took out the water faucet last fall (08) so pack h2o.
Other Thoughts: The course is next to my back yard so if your out of town or first time email me for directions or help. If I am not busy maybe play a round with you.

Not played under Ideal conditions...But will separate the Men from the Boys

1    6/27/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: McMarkD
This review was updated on 7/1/2009
Pros: This course is a great test for EXPERT/Advanced disc golfers. There are HUGE risks on a lot of holes. The punishment for a bad drive can be strenuous, and costly in strokes. This is a great course to throw grenades! You can be in one revine and the basket in another and you have to get your disc down to the basket!!!
Cons: Walking around on this course is very difficult The ups and downs between the holes or retreiving errant throws can be scary. I played this course the day after a rain and there was water flowing on the normal paths, so we had to detour a lot. I was EXTREMELY glad I was playing with locals to help me around.
Other Thoughts: I was pretty paranoid about my footing and loosing my discs, that I didn't watch the sky good enough. When starting there were storm clouds off in the distance but they didn't seem a threat. On hole 11 about the farthest away from the parking lot, we got hit by a huge Hail storm. This made an EXTREMELY tough muddy, shoe killing long walk out. Keep an eye on the weather here! I fixed the Latitude and Longitude on this site so you won't have as much trouble finding this course as I did.

So hot

1    8/15/2007   6/15/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: This course does pretty well for itself without many trees. It has elevation, cliffs, brush, and water hazards. The cliffs and hills are much deeper than they appear at first glance. When I played the water was clear so disc retrieval was very simple. The views are amazing, Grand Junction offers a rare chance to see desert landscape within the borders of Colorado. The course is pretty unique. I have not played many courses like this one. I didn't see the drinking fountain but I think its great and necessary that they have one in the middle of the course. There are large paved tee boxes. One design characteristic that I liked was that it loops so you can decide to skip the last few holes if you desired.
Cons: When I played in August it was very hot. My playing partner kept throwing in the rough, which is much more extreme than it appears at first glance. A few of the holes were wide open and boring. It was dry when I played but I imagine that when the course is wet it can be very muddy. The first few and last holes play in or near an area that is separate from the main course by a lot fence, it was pretty confusing. There were no signs to help with navigation issues so be sure to bring a map. Even with a map we were lost a few times.
Other Thoughts: I'd take this unforgiving and rough terrain over a park course. Bring water, when I finished my car's thermometer read 110, it got pretty hot as it sat there without shade. I was tore up in the end from the combination of oppressive heat, distance, and cliff scaling. Probably due to the heat, I had the course all to myself. I would recommend this course to players who are down for an adventure. In that sense, I really enjoyed this course.

Good if you can find your way around

1    8/20/2008   6/9/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course is set on very unique terrain, with ravines and streams running through the course. There are great views from many of the tees, especially on the 13th hole. The design makes great use of the terrain, shooting along and over the ravines, and using the scattered trees well to protect the pins.

The baskets were all in great shape, and the tee pads were large and concrete. There is a great variety of shots required here, and the holes offer many unique challenges. There is a nice mix of shorter and longer holes, and some holes that do a good job testing accuracy.
Cons: The navigation on this course is extremely difficult. There are no tee signs, and no way of knowing where the next tee is, or where to shoot when the basket is not easily visible. I would not recommend this course without a guide or map (or both!), it took us more than twice as long as it should have to play the round due to time spent wandering around and searching.

This course is not beginner friendly, as it is easy to lose a disc in the vegetation along the bottom of the creeks and ravines. This is not a major con for more experienced players, but does present an added hazard.
Other Thoughts: If this course were well marked and easy to navigate, it would be a great and unique place to play. As it is, the course gets very frustrating to a player who is not familiar with the course and doesn't know their way around. If you can find a local to play a round with, this course is worth a trip, otherwise I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to play it.

This course will be more rewarding for more experienced players with a variety of shots to draw on. The risk of losing discs with inaccurate shots, along with the challenges presented on many holes will make this a difficult place for beginners to have fun.

matchett

5/6/2008   5/6/2008
Review By: martinb
Pros: great layout. tough course, advanced/pro level.
Cons: cant play when wet. no tee signs. no bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: the one and only time i played it was when the ground was wet. i felt like frankenstein in those huge clompy boots, at least three pounds per foot of extra mud to carry. i was playing with some locals though and was able to navigate the course fairly easily. otherwise it would be tough to get around. A long course with risk/reward shots throughout most of it. I liked the design, and if it was dryer when i played it would have been a much better experience. at least three hours to play the course, not a lot of elevation changes but lots of little hills and dales, with a small creek on some of the holes to deal with. not much vegetation on the course so watch out for long skips on your drives. If there were teesigns i would give it a 3.5

Machette Park

6/10/2007   7/10/2007
Review By: mesaranger
Pros: A long fun course. I have heard it said it's like playing on the moon....I dont know about that but it is a challenging course. Alot of elevation shots over creek beds and small valleys.
Cons: No signs, no maps. Hard tp play with out someone who knows the hole locations.
Cant play on rain days or the day after, because of the mud. No restrooms.
Other Thoughts: If you can get out to this course early in the morning and with someone who knows the layout, this course provides a good challenge. Long holes through and over valleys. It will take around 3.5 - 4 hours to play. Signiture hole is 13. So if you get the chance to and wanna play contact us on the local club site. www.gvdiscgolf.org

1 2 Next >