Grand Junction, CO
Matchett Park Share
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

I was lucky to play with...

1    11/2/2013   11/4/2013
Review By: dust4tears
Pros: This is for the advanced player.

Plenty of challenges.

A great coarse to challenge your accuracy

Plenty of huge risk/reward shots
Cons: If you arent a more advanced, be prepared to lose discs....or spend a lot of time looking for them if you miss your aimed shot. Use a spotter!
Do not play by yourself.

This coarse can be a disc eating machine

No signs or anything to help orientate where you are on the coarse. Remember if you are from out of town playing, I-70 runs east/west...it can be confusing...especially in the desert.

No bathrooms/ and could use a lot of water fountains.

If you have kids in tow...not very kid friendly.

It is a looooooong hike, be prepared.

I WOULD NOT WEAR SANDALS. I would wear closed toed shoes.
Especially if it has been raining....or starts raining.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky enough to arrange a 'lesson' from one of our local pros and we just happened to meet at Matchett instead of the park where we were originally agreed too.

This older (50+) man knew that coarse inside and out and watching him navigate it was amazing.

After spending hours with me and my wife working on driving, he invited us to play the coarse with him.
Since he knew the coarse, the no signage didn't come into play with me...but, if I were trying to figure it out on my own it would be very confusing.

I expected him to spend an hour with him and he spent the entire afternoon with me and my wife, with 5 year old kid in tow. So, after hour 2 of lessons...he then invited us to play a around with him. After that, plus the coarse...the kid got bored and tired. There is a lot of elevation changes. She can normally handle hiking an 18h coarse, but this one kicked her ass. It is NOT kid friendly.
There are better family friendly 18h coarses' that I would prefer to go to in the Grand Valley just because my kids are almost always with me, rather than play here.

BRING H2O!!! IT IS THE DESERT. IT CAN HURT YOU IN THE SUMMER AND WINTER.
90+ plus is bad enough and in the summer it commonly gets to 110+...under the direct sun it can feel like 130.
In the winter it can get windy and the temp can get below sub-temps. That can dehydrate you just as easy as the hot.

Overall, I think it is a great coarse. However, I believe that this coarse is too advanced for me to play and enjoy. And I had the designer showing me how to do it.

There are plenty of people who can go shoot it all day long. I just know it is too advanced for me at this time.

**On a side note, I live here and I am tired of the desert. There are a lot of coarses around here that you do not have to go directly into the desert that I would rather play at. And if you want to play in the desert and want something really pretty to look at....Moab is 1 hrs away. But, that is biased because I am tired of the desert.

1    4/26/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: bobmcnelly
Pros: -Concrete Tee Pads
-Good use of elevation
-Interesting terrain, lots of small canyons throughout the course
-Good variety of shots
Cons: -Bring a crappy disc you don't mind loosing, and maybe wear shoes you dont mind getting wet.
-Hole one is missing
-Poor use of a lot of land, the layout could have had 27 holes on it
-A lot of walking between holes
Other Thoughts: Good course, it just has alot of walking in between holes, be ready for a hike.

What a course!

1    2/11/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: jugglerbri
Pros: Where to begin... This course is TOUGH! The risk reward relationship is huge here. Make a good shot and you're loving life. Make a bad shot and you spend 15 minutes finding your disc. The course runs through a bunch of gullies/arroyos/washouts or whatever you want to call them. There is a stream that runs through the middle of the course that is pretty much a small canyon. Shoot into the canyon and you're looking for your disc.

On almost all of the holes, the stream comes into play (with the exception of the first few). You either shoot over the stream or along it. One of my favorite holes you actually play down along the bottom of one of the arroyos towards the stream.

All of the holes I played (hole 1 seems to be missing) had excellent concrete tee pads and the number 13 tee is on top of a tall hill shooting out over the stream. What a great hole!

Bring a map, the map posted here was perfect. I got turned around finding the 11 tee but that was my own fault for following what I thought was a trail to the tee but wasn't. Other than that, I didn't have any problems navigating the course.
Cons: Hole 1 seems to be missing. I looked and looked but couldn't find it anywhere. I did see what I thought looked like an old tee pad where the tee was marked on the map so perhaps it was removed. It did look as though there was some earth moving activities recently so that might have been the reason.

I played in the winter so the weather was perfect (a little on the chilly side, just the way I like it) but I can definitely see this course being a scorcher in the summer. Bring lots of water! There weren't any facilities and no where to get water during the round.

The stream/canyon can be a doozy if your disc goes in there but, that's one of the things that makes this course interesting. After rain, this place would be crazy muddy to try and navigate. I would recommend avoiding it when it's muddy (I stepped in a couple muddy spots and it was really slick).

Playing across the stream can be challenging as you have to cross the stream several times to get to the next basket or tee. It wasn't too bad if you can find the path most people use but if you have to go down there to find a disc it can be treacherous.

There wasn't a single sign along the entire course letting you know where you were or what hole you were on which is why the map is critically important.

If you are out of shape, it's definitely a work out. Take your time and catch your breath and enjoy the exercise.
Other Thoughts: All in all, I really enjoyed the course and if in the area again with time to play, I would definitely go back to it.

Take your time, place your shots well, and enjoy.

Decent Course

2-4    10/16/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: DustinRobirtis
Pros: Very challenging if your looking to see how good your game has got, also if your looking for exercise play this course.
Cons: This course is a disc eating maching. If you wana loose some discs play this course. The terrain is super hilly and one hell of a workout to get through, After playing the whole course and looking for discs that fell into the rivers and such it took us 3 hours to play, Pretty nuts

Not worth it

1    9/6/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: Happyguy
Pros: Not too much to say here. Decent elevation gains/losses. No one plays here.
Cons: Impossible to navigate. Discs are easily lost. Rough terrain. Hot and dry. No drinking water. Impossible impossible to navigate. No tee box for the first hole so just skip it. Difficult course to find. Without a map you're doomed. No markers for anything. This course will take you hours to finish especially if you don't know it. River crossings are very dangerous as the bridges have collapsed. Dangerous terrain. You must wear hiking boots.
Other Thoughts: Not worth playing.

Challenging Par 3

1    6/17/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: dmbfan
Pros: -Extremely challenging. Definitely the hardest par 3 course I've played yet.
-Great use of space and the surrounding geography.
-There were no garbage holes. Each one seemed to be thoughtfully designed and required careful shot selection.
Cons: -Not a good place to take a beginner as this course is very unforgiving to misplaced shots, especially tee shots.
Other Thoughts: YOU MUST USE THE MAP! I followed mine religiously and never once had to wander around for the next tee pad. I did have to search for a few baskets that weren't visible from the tee. I appreciated those basket locations though because it made for fun and challenging tee shots. I suppose that a basic sign at each tee pad showing the location of the basket would be helpful for the first timer (like myself). But after playing the course once no signage is needed.
Overall I'd say that this is a great course and I can't wait to get a chance to play it again.

Lost in Space

1    9/9/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: markjfun
This review was updated on 2/14/2013
Pros: This course's strength and allure is its challenging layout across treacherous terrain. The gray eroded land beneath your feet, which has been aptly likened to the Moon's surface, is completely devoid of vegetation and was probably repurposed from some type of industrial operation. Many of the baskets are in extremely unforgiving locations where anything and everything can go wrong if your throw is a couple feet off target. Scraggly trees along an odorous stream can suspend a disc beyond reach in their thin, wispy branches. The middle of the course follows this creek. The designer made obvious use of elevation changes from one hole to the next. On the high side of the creek, your main objective is to land your disc atop the ridges of mini-ravines so that your next toss is not a blind one from the depths below. While you're not combing the land for your disc, running around in search of the next tee pad, or scouting ahead for the next basket, the panoramic views are pretty rewarding. Large mesas, mountains and arid plains spread out in three directions opposite the fenced backyards of a residential area.
Cons: On nearly every hole, there is zero indication of what cement tee pad you're on, or which basket you're throwing toward. On one tee pad, an ever-so-faint number clung to the lower left corner in paint. As a first-timer here, get used to the idea of traversing ridiculously steep and crumbly ravines (some harboring the unpleasant surprise of trickling, rank water) to read the number on baskets just to be sure you're playing the holes in the correct order. It's possible to throw at the wrong pin and not realize it until you're standing at the next pad scratching your head.
Other Thoughts: Absolutely, positively do yourself the favor of printing off the course map provided in the Links/Files tab, or get a hold of a friend who's navigated Matchett, before journeying out for the first time. If you own a pair of closed-toed sandals or river shoes, they may be worth their weight after rummaging around for discs down by the creek.

This course has huge potential. The concrete pads are laid professionally and the baskets are in good condition. With an investment of around $250 in numbered signposts at each pad and a raised flag atop the baskets, this could be a super fun lunar disc playground.

It will fool you!

1    6/10/2011   6/10/2011
Review By: Bohica1010
Pros: First 2 holes are nice warmups which can give you a false sense of security. Starting on 3, anyone who can throw 250+ and their disc goes right to left has to worry about the sharp drop and creek on the left side. The map is great! The tee pads are excellent and point pretty much right at each pin. Great use of elevation and distances. 13 has a great view, but when you look around from most tee pads or pins, it is great.
Cons: Some baskets could use flags due to elevation changes and trees/bushes hiding the pins. Paint on tee pads has faded and the baskets could have arrows paingted to help point to next tee pads. If you haven't played before, you probably should take a spotter for a couple holes. We couldn't find the water faucet by the 13th hole. We looked south of the creek by the unfinished building and the foundation next to it. A dot on the map or better directions would be great. Directions to get to course could be better. It says it is a right if you are going East, but you want to go left (North) into the dirt lot. We had to U-turn at the light at 28 3/4 to go back. First tee is near the "dog waste" bag station.
Other Thoughts: A number of the pins between 3 and 8 are set next to the creek where some might consider it high risk/ high reward, however I felt like it was just high risk since the areas around the pins were pretty tight. River bottom dirt/sand that are small to medium hills throughout, so wear hiking boots.

Great course that needs signage.

1    4/24/2011   5/4/2011
Review By: ryyedogg
This review was updated on 5/16/2011
Pros: This is the true "badlands" course on the western slope. You start hole one playing uphill around some big bushes, then you play over dry desert terrain that includes rolling dirt hills that merge into a narrow arroyo that plays on most of the holes. I really enjoyed playing this course because it has some good challenge avoiding the arroyo. You play over and down the dirt hills and even have to avoid some steep cliffs that drop down to the creek. The pads are nice big concrete slabs that are perfect for driving.
Cons: There is no signage for the course at all. It's somewhat difficult to navigate and even find the course for the first time. There's no parking lot and we didn't see any designated areas. We just picked a spot to park in the dirt. Be prepared because this course is pretty isolated from any facilities.

I wouldn't recommend this course for beginners or rec players due to the technicalities of the holes. If you can't throw 250' to clear the arroyo on most holes, you will have a long round searching in the thick brush.

Although conditions were fine when we played it, I can see why it would be nearly impossible to play in wet conditions. A few holes require you to walk down into the arroyo to cross the ditch to the other side. When the ditch fills up, it may be risky to cross it.
Other Thoughts: I liked the feel of this course and would play it again if in the area. If it had decent signage of any kind, I might have given it a 4 out of 5.

Favorite holes: #3, #5, #8, #13

A Great Course

1    4/4/2010   4/5/2010
Review By: wentzl
Pros: An amazing course. Varied and interesting terrain and nice views. Tucked in an unlikely and out of the way place, this course is full of surprises that will terrify the novice and thrill advanced players.
Cons: Do not attempt when wet. Appears to be only three holes until you figure out most of the course lies beyond the fence that seems to mark private property. Bring a map, it isn't that hard to follow.
Other Thoughts: I was told Riverbend Park in Palisade was the "premier course" in the Grand Junction area. Not bad if you like long drives and open fields. But this park rocks. FIND IT!