Norwalk, CT
Uploaded By: optidiscic Hole #1

Wonderful course

2-4    7/28/2013   7/29/2013
Review By: polishedmarvel
Pros: Great tees, multiple pins, beautiful course, nice variety.
Cons: Finding the next hole can be a challenge. Some holes have bricks with arrows, some don't. The signs help, if you remember to look at them before throwing.
Other Thoughts: Pretty short holes, I thought I would throw a personal record but the holes can be challenging.

Technical with lots of elevation

1    12/11/2012   12/11/2012
Review By: Buchajs1
This review was updated on 8/21/2013
Pros: Good variety- shot shaping is required and there are multiple lines that you can throw on each shot. Tight gaps and different lines are in abundance here. The open holes balance the wooded holes very well.

Two baskets on each hole- this creates two different layout options. The blueberry course is more of a beginner while the cranbury layout will provide a challenge for even the best disc golfers that play this course

Elevation- almost every hole has an elevation change whether it be used in a small or dramatic way. One hole is like 260 straight uphill plays like 400

Amenities- practice basket near parking lot. Great tee signs that display accurate information.

Rock walls and the castle- its pretty cool to be surrounded by a 18-19th century mansion. The rock walls mark ob and add something special to remember about this sweet course
Cons: The whole place seemed to be a dog park. On the longer layout there was no way to tell the pin position.

Hole 15- you have to throw a ridiculously perfect roller to make it even close to the basket. The trees are too high for your average person to be able to throw over.
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a great course and I was pleasantly surprised

Great Course!

1    10/2/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: gassal01
Pros: It is at a freaking mansion! Beautiful course with both open and wooded shops. Plays both Cranbury (Long) or Bluebury (Shot). So it is great for beginners and advanced players. Well maintained with some beautiful stone walls. Challenging shots and a wide array of holes.
Cons: People walking their dogs down the middle of the fairway. If you are in a rush, this can be kinda annoying. I was however with my girlfriend who loves dogs. So it entertained her.

Got lost a few times because you had to double back if you were playing the Long baskets. The trails were covered with a lot of leaves so it may be hard to figure out where to go next if you don't have a map.
Other Thoughts: I had a hard time finding the first tee. It is behind two practice baskets down by some old barn. Walk away from the mansion. If you have a hard time finding it. The old lady in the welcome center is very friendly (she will talk your ear off. Be careful) They even have maps! (pretty sure they printed them off from this website though. So you may be able to do that yourself.)

I played this course the day after the Cranbury classic so it was in wonderful shape with out of bounds marked well.

5+    9/15/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: nnelson42
This review was updated on 10/1/2012
Pros: Amazing course! Not much to add in addtion to what has already been said.
Other Thoughts: *** Hole 10 on the red baskets has been moved back another 100 ft or so making the hole much longer. it is still listed as a par 3, but IMO should probably be changed to a par 4.

Thought I would point this out as it really changes how you play the hole.

This might be in preparation for the Cranbury Classic in a couple weeks though...

**Update (10/1/12)**

Course is looking clean and clear for the Cranbury Classic next week. Woodchips added on several holes, tee pads are clean and clear and most of the overgrown vegitation has been cleared out leaving the rough a little more foregiving

Worth the stop in CT.

1    6/24/2012   6/24/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: 2 baskets on every hole make it basically 2 courses in one: Cranberry and Blueberry.

Practice area and Kiosk with map.

Tee areas near perfect. spacious rubber teepads with excellent signage and even bag hangers and benches.

Dog friendly for those of you who disc with your dog. There is even a water station at hole 15.

Bright red/maroon baskets were easy to spot.

A few memorable holes: 4 was a nice 377 downhill tight tunnel shot with a dog leg left over the stone wall.
9 is easily a signature hole with the basket perched on a large boulder.
15's basket is on a mound basically requiring a 20 foot putt.

Elevation, good variety of holes, clear fairways that can prove fatal to your perfect shot.
Cons: No way to tell what pin position the basket was in for the Cranberry layout holes with multiple pins.

Rec tees are old, unmarked, and difficult to see.

Lots of dogs on the course. Hole one smelled strongly of urine. I also had to wait several minutes for a large group of dog walkers to leave the fairway.

Bugs were horrible, but I can't blame the course for that.
Other Thoughts: This course has a little bit of everything feel it is a solid 4.25, however I have to give it a 4 or 4.5, so I had to go with the 4.5, when else can you play disc golf around a mansion.

Great Woods Course

1    9/7/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: iDuumb
Pros: Very nice basket placement on multiple holes
Creative Layout that flowed very nicely
Good Elevation
Good Variety
Cons: Goes through a dog park, there were multiple times I had to wait for a person walking their dog before I could tee off. I was also worried that I would have a disc chased down by a dog but thankfully that didn't happen
Other Thoughts: Very Nice course overall, and worth the 40 minute drive from my campus. I am originally from Delaware and I am used to woods courses such as Iron Hill and carousel, I would say this is on par with both of those courses if anyone has played those.

Connecticut is apparently french for "awesome".

1    8/8/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - The tee pads at this place are bigger than my house. Which probably says more about my house than it does about the tee pads. And like my house, these tee pads are covered by what appears to be roofing material. This makes for a super grippy surface. Though it didn't make my game any better. I'm not sure a wizard could do that though.
- the baskets at this place are either new or well taken care of, or both. Which makes that "or" a pretty useless bit of wording. Either way, the baskets are marvelous. And while the two baskets per hole confused me at first; I am pretty dumb. So once I got it figured out, I used the two basket thing as an excuse for my poor play. It was nice to have something like that built in.
- This course has more shots than jerry has curls. Wooded, wide open, skill, hyzer, anhyzer and what could be some circus shots if you don't play well. So guess what I did a lot. It's always nice to play a course that has variety and not just a bunch of "throw it as hard as you can" holes or holes that are so hard that you can't even see the basket because of the number of trees. Pretty amazing.
- The signage is great on this course. There are little bricks in the ground near every basket that tell you where the next tee pad is. The signs at the holes are very accurate to each basket that comes into play. And there is a fantastic map at the first hole that shows you where everything is on the course. if you get lost on this course, it's probably because your seeing eye dog ran off and started humping a fence post.
- Two practice baskets on this course really round out the "if one is good, then two is better" theme of this place. Both appear to be brand new baskets. Again, practice doesn't help me, but it was good to have in case it does help you out.
- this park is beautiful. While we don't have anything like this park in Indiana (you generally have to throw around cows and have corn stalks as your obstacle), it was incredible to just look at.
- there was a box at 18 marked as a "disc return". I don't know what it's for, but I'd like to imagine that people at this course have honor. Where as people at my home course will brain you with a cinder block to take your discs from you.
Cons: I had two cons, and they knocked this course down a .5.
1. There were a couple of holes on this course that had fairways that interfered with one another. 14 and 18 sort of intersected. It wasn't that big of a deal, but someone did throw right into me as a I was teeing off on 14. I took his disc and melted it down right there on the spot, then buried it on the tee pad as I laughed maniacally, so it felt OK. That'll learn him.
- There is a LOT of other activity on this course. Dogs were running amuck all over the joint, and pedestrians came strolling into the fairway on four or five holes. There was also a guy hitting golf balls from the shelter house towards 14 and 18. That guy was just a dick. I mean, who hits golf balls in a crowded park anyway? I wanted to stab him in the neck with a rusty bedspring. But since I didn't have one, I just called him a jerkoff and gave him the one fingered salute.
Other Thoughts: I almost aced number one on this course, so that really set the mood for me I guess. There could have been rabid wolverines attacking me for the rest of the round and I don't think that I would have noticed after that shot.
The clubhouse/shelter thing at number one was a nice touch, even if it looked like a scene out of a B horror movie. I always carry a machete with me though, so it was all good.

Awesome course you have there Connecticut. Cherish it and give it soft lil' angel kisses every chance you get.

Gorgeous x2 (Disc Golf and grounds)

1    4/24/2010   5/12/2010
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: The baskets on the Cranbury course are by far the best I have ever seen. They are powder coated red mach V's (I believe). They also have older baskets that are painted blue, this set of baskets is appropriately named Blueberry, it also is much shorter and good for beginners. The course starts out in the open then it goes into the woods for a few holes. The rest of the holes pretty much alternate between wooded and open. There aren't really any technically overbearing holes but the basket positions make you bring your putting A-game. The hole that was my favorite had a six foot elevated basket set atop a large boulder (of course I hit the rim and three putted&#61516; The tee signs are made by a local company and rival some of the best I have ever seen in sheer information and appearance. There is also space below them for an advertisement (hint hint Tim;). There are also pegs for your bags on the tee signs. The tee pads are completely flat. They are rubber laid over wooden platforms and all are uniformly long at about fifteen feet. There is at least one bench or lawn type chair at every tee, which makes waiting that much more fun. There are also trash cans scattered throughout the course on some various holes. This adds to the very clean kept grounds that the course is on. The grass is very well trimmed and the fairways are clear of any debris. There are also two or three practice baskets on top of an old cellar near hole one.
Cons: The tee pads in the woods are covered with pine needles and are slippery. No brooms are available at the tee pads to clear them away unfortunately. There is a walking trail and dog path that runs adjacent to and cuts into some of the fairways. I only had a problem with two of the twenty or so that I ran into though. The bricks at the bottom of the baskets pointing to the next tee might be the wrong way. There is no way to know which red basket location is current. They are all shown on the tee sign with no designator as to which one to throw to. On one hole, I believe it was ten, there were very low hanging power lines right in the middle of the fairway. I'm not sure if they are live or not but they could easily be a safety hazard.
Other Thoughts: The course is played on the grounds of an old mansion with beautiful grounds. There is also a very nice playground and picnic area on site.

Worth the trip, watch your step!

1    10/7/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: This is a very nice disc golf course. 18 great, very different holes. Two basket options on each hole. I played with a local and he wanted to play the longer holes. Otherwise I would have likely played the shorts on a first visit. No matter, great fun. Nice rubber tee pads. Today was wet after the rain last night and the pads had good grip. Nice tee signs on posts. There are pegs to hang your golf bag while teeing off. Nice added feature. Par, distance, pin location maps, major obstacles all indicated. Many holes have benches at each tee and some have trash cans. Woods are very clean. No trash. Baskets have an arrow to lead you to the next tee. Most are close. A few were tougher to find. Great use of woodsiness and elevation. There are holes here for every disc and every shot you have in your bag… and all the ones you don't have too. There a few narrow woodland tunnels here where a misplaced shot will punish you badly… golf disc pinball as I call it. Fortunately, every once in a while one of these trees returns a bad shot to the fairway for you as a gift. Hey, disc golf Karma, I guess. I'll take it. 16 and 18 play a bit odd as they are out in the wide open and feel weird after the 15 other holes in the woods. No real long grip and rip drive bombs here. The far baskets mostly play medium and the dog legs are more about lay it up and play for good par. Not too many real opportunities her for aces. All holes are par 3 so birdies will likely be limited to very good drive/set-up shots and well made, longish putts. If your approach game is strong you can par all day here… My suggested strategy here is: decent, focused drive, very accurate approach shot and a nice, short putt. Not too many opportunities here to use long distance drivers. This is a solid mid range and putter course.
Cons: Few. There is a lot to like here. Just one small thing and, sadly, 2 bigger, scary issues. It is hard to find the first tee as the course location is not well indicated, Small thing. With a local tour guide this was not an issue. The bigger issue(s), The course plays amongst and in some places, through a dog park. Most owners are considerate, but, there are no small dogs here. Most are the size of small horses. Owners and the dogs obviously enjoy the fact that leashes are not required. The dogs here run free as nature intended. Great if you are the dog. Not so great if you are out and about throwing brightly colored things. If I wanted to break in a disc by chewing on it I would chew on it myself. A big dog sprinting after you or your disc from around a blind turn on a trail will scare the crap out of you. Speaking of crap… The large size of the dogs here should provide a hint as to the size of the poop piles you will encounter. Tread carefully. I would have rated this course as a 5, but the dogs and the poop piles cost it a full point.
Other Thoughts: My review title says it all. Well worth the trip, but, watch your step. An added bonus is the extra baskets near the first tee for putting practice. Nice. O.K. I will give 'em back a ½ point so they get a 4 ½. Best course I have played thus far. Too bad I live 800 miles away.

Creme de la Creme

5+    9/14/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: Taino
This review was updated on 1/22/2012
Pros: All of the tees are rubber; no dirt or roots. All of the holes are well marked, with arrows at the baskets pointing the direction towards the next tee. The holes make good use of natural terrain, and the narrow fairways either frustrate you or make you a better player. Play the advanced/expert course for added difficulty.
Cons: Way too many loose dogs. The tee the 15th hole is right near the "dog park" area, and can be quite busy. Also, no one puts their dogs on leashes; I've been rushed several times, and had my disc chased a couple times. On fairways, you frequently have to wait for dogwalkers to stroll by with their leashless dogs. I love dogs, truly - but seriously, folks.
Other Thoughts: Best course in the Westchester area, based on Waveny Park, Leonard Park, FDR Park, and Cranberry Park.