Norwalk, CT
Uploaded By: optidiscic Hole #1

Beautiful park

1    8/23/2011   9/21/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through beautifully maintained grounds adjacent to an old mansion. The grassy open holes are mowed beautifully and the wooded holes are nicely cleared. There is great distance variety here, with everything from ace runs to a couple longer holes that are open enough to really rip a drive. The wooded holes provide a great mix of left and right turning fairways, with tight enough fairways to force accurate drives. You'll need a pretty good variety of shots to score well here.

There are two permanent baskets on every hole, a shorter "Blueberry" layout and the longer signature "Cranbury" layout. Both layouts offer a nice mix of hole shapes, and give different skill levels appropriate challenges. It's nice to have the options too if you're playing multiple rounds, especially since the longer pin set has multiple sleeves to keep things changed up. The signage is good, with hole layout and distance for both pins. The tees are nicely laid rubber pads with a good structure underneath to keep them flat and level.
Cons: There are some safety issues here, with a busy walking path running through the course. Many holes bring the path into play, sometimes blindly so you can't see someone coming up the path from the tee. Dog walkers also were using some of the fairways to exercise their dogs off leash which adds to the potential safety problems.

The open holes can provide nice contrast to the technical shots, but I would have liked to see a little more creativity with basket placements. Several of the open holes could potentially be tweaked to have a basket tucked into a tree line or a gap to hit off the tee. I would also like to see indicators for the current placement of the long pin on the tee sign, there are some blind pins that you have to walk up and scout.
Other Thoughts: The long layout here is a nice challenge for intermediate to advanced players, with some distance shots and lots of technical lines to hit. Beginners will find the shorter layout very accessible, there are some tight lines but the punishment isn't terrible for errant shots and the distances are reasonable. The park is beautiful and makes for great surroundings for a round, I would definitely recommend a stop here if you're in the area.

1    8/5/2011   9/7/2011
Review By: Jrider29
Pros: Excellent navigational signage and beautiful scenery make this course a great experience. Good use of natural terrain and well maintained.
Cons: Tee #1 a little tough to find.
Other Thoughts: Thanks! Traveled here from out of state and was not disappointed!

Bring some bug spray

5+    7/23/2011   8/27/2011
Review By: markfohara
Pros: A good variety of shots, on a very challenging course. I'm told that pros play here all the time, and i can see why
Cons: Freaking bugs! Bring some bug spray. Or a bug A-bomb. Also, the course is heavily wooded, and if i had a nickel for every time I hit a tree....
Other Thoughts: Great location, set back from society at a very nice park. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area, there are some really cool shots here

CT Gem

1    5/13/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Convenient location and very easy to find, yet still tucked away from the hustle and bustle of CT suburbia, Cranbury park is situated on a sprawling estate consisting of both open and wooded areas. Driving into the park, the parking lot closest to the disc golf course is adjacent to a Tudor Revival-style English mansion. The level of sophistication doesn't decrease once you get to the course.

Cranbury park is another good example of a course design that makes the most of the land available. The course is mostly wooded with a few open holes. The course features elevation changes throughout and also factors in natural features, such as baskets situation on large boulders, and rustic yet classy man-made features, such as rock walls. There are two baskets on every hole; one fixed (Bluebury) and another longer basket that changes to up to four pin positions (Cranbury). This makes it possible to play two separate 18-hole layouts in the same location. The wooded holes at Cranbury require accurate throws, but they're fair. Discs that stray from the fairway or riccochet off a tree won't typically make for terribly punishing upshots. There is a solid amount of variety with regard to the fairway shape and length and include straight and left and right-turning fairways and a few "S" shaped fairways. Hole lengths range from 178 up to 550, with a nice mix of distances in between.

The course featured very detailed tee signs depicting fairway, pin positions, distances, and possible lines. Bag hangers are available on the tee posts. The fly pads were level and solidly secured to the ground, so tripping on an exposed or raised lip isn't going to happen.

Cranbury park was exquisitely maintained. The lawns were mowed, bushes were trimmed, and there was little-to-no underbrush, briars, or shule. With the exception of an occasional water bottle, the course was clear of litter.

Navigation wasn't much of an issue as the next tee was easy to spot. When the next tee couldn't be seen, the permanent baskets had pavers underneath them with arrows pointing to the next tee.
Cons: Some of the fairways were very close to other public areas, such as walking paths. Any time you have a course in a public park, this is a danger that needs to be negotiated. While I believe that much of this danger was mitigated in the course design, there are still a few holes that could be dangerous for pedestrians, bystanders, walkers, and joggers using the park.

There are very few cons with respect to the layout of the course. For the most part, the non-wooded holes at Crunbury were wide open. With the exception of #18, there wasn't much in the way of obstacles on the "big drive" holes. Overall, there wasn't much in the way of OB or other hazards to push the risk vs. reward aspect of the game. It doesn't appear that Cranbury has much flowing water on the property, so I doubt that this is something that could be incorporated in the future.

The rotating baskets didn't have the next tee arrow pavers like the permanent baskets, so finding the next tee was a slight issue on a few of the holes. This is a fairly minimal inconvenience as the course should be easy to navigate on subsequent rounds.
Other Thoughts: We got to start our round by asking a few of the local players about the course layout and they were VERY helpful and friendly and were kind enough to let us know that after you finish hole #6, you need to walk to the left and backtrack a little to get to hole #7.

There is a lost disc box adjacent to hole #18, but it's wide open. So while it may be easy to return a disc to the box, anybody can just as easily pull their disc or a disc that doesn't belong to them.

I played Cranbury just after playing a championship-caliber course, so to be sure I didn't have any unfair bias I gave myself a week to collect my thoughts before writing this review. I'm glad I did. In that week, I've come to realize what a gorgeous course the folks of Norwalk have and if the site allowed for 0.25 disc ratings, this would easily be a 4.25. I frequently travel along the Merritt Parkway and Cranbury Park makes a fantastic halfway point in my trip. I look forward to playing this course again and recommend it to anyone that happens to be traveling along the I-95 corridor in CT, or anyone that wants to play a course that is both fun and challenging.

Great course

1    12/5/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: Qwikstreet
Pros: It is an awesome course. I can't believe how litter free the course is. All the human built rock walls from colonial times really takes you back. Every hole has well kept tee pads, signs, 2 baskets, and signs pointing to the next tee. The distance is challenging but not too long that only big arms would benefit.
Cons: Not that much of a con but there are a lot of dog walkers out there.
Other Thoughts: Glad this is right off the Merritt Parkway which is my main route for a constant business trip.

nice course

2-4    10/3/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: disc gopher
Pros: some very interesting pin placement including one atop a clustering of boulders. I personally love the use of rocks and walls, this course delivers tons of that. Holes are mostly of a decent length, some short, some that require some more D.

good mix of left and right doglegs as well as a few straight-away shots.

park is very clean.

great practice area near hole one. perfect for practicing putts with elevation. this hole also has a cool shack type thing behind the teepad.
Cons: DOGS. a couple literally grabbed my disc and ran with it. the owners are generally nice and apologize about it though.

Blue pin positions are extraneous and much too easy for any real disc golfer in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: Mostly wooded with a few open-ish holes. As far as difficultly goes, out of 10 i would say its a 7. A couple are much harder and a handful are much easier.

great course overall. go play it if you're in the area.

Cranbury

1    9/24/2010   9/30/2010
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Signage--Beautiful, accurate, full color, clearly defined OOB, shows obstacles and next tee.

Pins-- Nice, red, powder coated and grabby.

Asthetic-- Thise course is absolutely beautiful. I have never played a course that has this much stunning beauty. between the rock fences to the boulder pin to the mansion grounds, just beautiful.

Teepads-- huge rubber pads. not slick at all.

Practice area-- on top of the old cellar, unique and cool.

Nav Bricks-- under each pin there is a brick with an arrow that shows next tee
Cons: Finding your way to hole one-- I wish that there was a sign at the mansion that said disc golf this way. You have to walk a long way from the disc golf sign to where the first tee is.

Multiple Pins-- I expected, perhaps naively, that there would be both blue and red pins in the ground (as there were on hole one). All holes rather had the first red pins in place, but was confusing for the first few holes.

Hole 10-- no pin of any kind in the ground, we played to the big rock in the fairway.

To me these are big dings, I had initially thought about making this a five disc course, but couldn't in good conscience with these negatives.

Other Thoughts: Truly, if you are visiting NYC, this isnt that far away and should be a destination course for anyone.
If you want to play in the beauty of the connecticut woods, this is your course.

Great Woods Course

1    9/7/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: iDuumb
Pros: Very nice basket placement on multiple holes
Creative Layout that flowed very nicely
Good Elevation
Good Variety
Cons: Goes through a dog park, there were multiple times I had to wait for a person walking their dog before I could tee off. I was also worried that I would have a disc chased down by a dog but thankfully that didn't happen
Other Thoughts: Very Nice course overall, and worth the 40 minute drive from my campus. I am originally from Delaware and I am used to woods courses such as Iron Hill and carousel, I would say this is on par with both of those courses if anyone has played those.

Connecticut is apparently french for "awesome".

1    8/8/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - The tee pads at this place are bigger than my house. Which probably says more about my house than it does about the tee pads. And like my house, these tee pads are covered by what appears to be roofing material. This makes for a super grippy surface. Though it didn't make my game any better. I'm not sure a wizard could do that though.
- the baskets at this place are either new or well taken care of, or both. Which makes that "or" a pretty useless bit of wording. Either way, the baskets are marvelous. And while the two baskets per hole confused me at first; I am pretty dumb. So once I got it figured out, I used the two basket thing as an excuse for my poor play. It was nice to have something like that built in.
- This course has more shots than jerry has curls. Wooded, wide open, skill, hyzer, anhyzer and what could be some circus shots if you don't play well. So guess what I did a lot. It's always nice to play a course that has variety and not just a bunch of "throw it as hard as you can" holes or holes that are so hard that you can't even see the basket because of the number of trees. Pretty amazing.
- The signage is great on this course. There are little bricks in the ground near every basket that tell you where the next tee pad is. The signs at the holes are very accurate to each basket that comes into play. And there is a fantastic map at the first hole that shows you where everything is on the course. if you get lost on this course, it's probably because your seeing eye dog ran off and started humping a fence post.
- Two practice baskets on this course really round out the "if one is good, then two is better" theme of this place. Both appear to be brand new baskets. Again, practice doesn't help me, but it was good to have in case it does help you out.
- this park is beautiful. While we don't have anything like this park in Indiana (you generally have to throw around cows and have corn stalks as your obstacle), it was incredible to just look at.
- there was a box at 18 marked as a "disc return". I don't know what it's for, but I'd like to imagine that people at this course have honor. Where as people at my home course will brain you with a cinder block to take your discs from you.
Cons: I had two cons, and they knocked this course down a .5.
1. There were a couple of holes on this course that had fairways that interfered with one another. 14 and 18 sort of intersected. It wasn't that big of a deal, but someone did throw right into me as a I was teeing off on 14. I took his disc and melted it down right there on the spot, then buried it on the tee pad as I laughed maniacally, so it felt OK. That'll learn him.
- There is a LOT of other activity on this course. Dogs were running amuck all over the joint, and pedestrians came strolling into the fairway on four or five holes. There was also a guy hitting golf balls from the shelter house towards 14 and 18. That guy was just a dick. I mean, who hits golf balls in a crowded park anyway? I wanted to stab him in the neck with a rusty bedspring. But since I didn't have one, I just called him a jerkoff and gave him the one fingered salute.
Other Thoughts: I almost aced number one on this course, so that really set the mood for me I guess. There could have been rabid wolverines attacking me for the rest of the round and I don't think that I would have noticed after that shot.
The clubhouse/shelter thing at number one was a nice touch, even if it looked like a scene out of a B horror movie. I always carry a machete with me though, so it was all good.

Awesome course you have there Connecticut. Cherish it and give it soft lil' angel kisses every chance you get.

Gorgeous x2 (Disc Golf and grounds)

1    4/24/2010   5/12/2010
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: The baskets on the Cranbury course are by far the best I have ever seen. They are powder coated red mach V's (I believe). They also have older baskets that are painted blue, this set of baskets is appropriately named Blueberry, it also is much shorter and good for beginners. The course starts out in the open then it goes into the woods for a few holes. The rest of the holes pretty much alternate between wooded and open. There aren't really any technically overbearing holes but the basket positions make you bring your putting A-game. The hole that was my favorite had a six foot elevated basket set atop a large boulder (of course I hit the rim and three putted The tee signs are made by a local company and rival some of the best I have ever seen in sheer information and appearance. There is also space below them for an advertisement (hint hint Tim;). There are also pegs for your bags on the tee signs. The tee pads are completely flat. They are rubber laid over wooden platforms and all are uniformly long at about fifteen feet. There is at least one bench or lawn type chair at every tee, which makes waiting that much more fun. There are also trash cans scattered throughout the course on some various holes. This adds to the very clean kept grounds that the course is on. The grass is very well trimmed and the fairways are clear of any debris. There are also two or three practice baskets on top of an old cellar near hole one.
Cons: The tee pads in the woods are covered with pine needles and are slippery. No brooms are available at the tee pads to clear them away unfortunately. There is a walking trail and dog path that runs adjacent to and cuts into some of the fairways. I only had a problem with two of the twenty or so that I ran into though. The bricks at the bottom of the baskets pointing to the next tee might be the wrong way. There is no way to know which red basket location is current. They are all shown on the tee sign with no designator as to which one to throw to. On one hole, I believe it was ten, there were very low hanging power lines right in the middle of the fairway. I'm not sure if they are live or not but they could easily be a safety hazard.
Other Thoughts: The course is played on the grounds of an old mansion with beautiful grounds. There is also a very nice playground and picnic area on site.