Norwalk, CT
Uploaded By: optidiscic Hole #17

CT Gem

1    5/13/2011   5/20/2011
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Convenient location and very easy to find, yet still tucked away from the hustle and bustle of CT suburbia, Cranbury park is situated on a sprawling estate consisting of both open and wooded areas. Driving into the park, the parking lot closest to the disc golf course is adjacent to a Tudor Revival-style English mansion. The level of sophistication doesn't decrease once you get to the course.

Cranbury park is another good example of a course design that makes the most of the land available. The course is mostly wooded with a few open holes. The course features elevation changes throughout and also factors in natural features, such as baskets situation on large boulders, and rustic yet classy man-made features, such as rock walls. There are two baskets on every hole; one fixed (Bluebury) and another longer basket that changes to up to four pin positions (Cranbury). This makes it possible to play two separate 18-hole layouts in the same location. The wooded holes at Cranbury require accurate throws, but they're fair. Discs that stray from the fairway or riccochet off a tree won't typically make for terribly punishing upshots. There is a solid amount of variety with regard to the fairway shape and length and include straight and left and right-turning fairways and a few "S" shaped fairways. Hole lengths range from 178 up to 550, with a nice mix of distances in between.

The course featured very detailed tee signs depicting fairway, pin positions, distances, and possible lines. Bag hangers are available on the tee posts. The fly pads were level and solidly secured to the ground, so tripping on an exposed or raised lip isn't going to happen.

Cranbury park was exquisitely maintained. The lawns were mowed, bushes were trimmed, and there was little-to-no underbrush, briars, or shule. With the exception of an occasional water bottle, the course was clear of litter.

Navigation wasn't much of an issue as the next tee was easy to spot. When the next tee couldn't be seen, the permanent baskets had pavers underneath them with arrows pointing to the next tee.
Cons: Some of the fairways were very close to other public areas, such as walking paths. Any time you have a course in a public park, this is a danger that needs to be negotiated. While I believe that much of this danger was mitigated in the course design, there are still a few holes that could be dangerous for pedestrians, bystanders, walkers, and joggers using the park.

There are very few cons with respect to the layout of the course. For the most part, the non-wooded holes at Crunbury were wide open. With the exception of #18, there wasn't much in the way of obstacles on the "big drive" holes. Overall, there wasn't much in the way of OB or other hazards to push the risk vs. reward aspect of the game. It doesn't appear that Cranbury has much flowing water on the property, so I doubt that this is something that could be incorporated in the future.

The rotating baskets didn't have the next tee arrow pavers like the permanent baskets, so finding the next tee was a slight issue on a few of the holes. This is a fairly minimal inconvenience as the course should be easy to navigate on subsequent rounds.
Other Thoughts: We got to start our round by asking a few of the local players about the course layout and they were VERY helpful and friendly and were kind enough to let us know that after you finish hole #6, you need to walk to the left and backtrack a little to get to hole #7.

There is a lost disc box adjacent to hole #18, but it's wide open. So while it may be easy to return a disc to the box, anybody can just as easily pull their disc or a disc that doesn't belong to them.

I played Cranbury just after playing a championship-caliber course, so to be sure I didn't have any unfair bias I gave myself a week to collect my thoughts before writing this review. I'm glad I did. In that week, I've come to realize what a gorgeous course the folks of Norwalk have and if the site allowed for 0.25 disc ratings, this would easily be a 4.25. I frequently travel along the Merritt Parkway and Cranbury Park makes a fantastic halfway point in my trip. I look forward to playing this course again and recommend it to anyone that happens to be traveling along the I-95 corridor in CT, or anyone that wants to play a course that is both fun and challenging.

Great course

1    12/5/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: Qwikstreet
Pros: It is an awesome course. I can't believe how litter free the course is. All the human built rock walls from colonial times really takes you back. Every hole has well kept tee pads, signs, 2 baskets, and signs pointing to the next tee. The distance is challenging but not too long that only big arms would benefit.
Cons: Not that much of a con but there are a lot of dog walkers out there.
Other Thoughts: Glad this is right off the Merritt Parkway which is my main route for a constant business trip.

nice course

2-4    10/3/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: disc gopher
Pros: some very interesting pin placement including one atop a clustering of boulders. I personally love the use of rocks and walls, this course delivers tons of that. Holes are mostly of a decent length, some short, some that require some more D.

good mix of left and right doglegs as well as a few straight-away shots.

park is very clean.

great practice area near hole one. perfect for practicing putts with elevation. this hole also has a cool shack type thing behind the teepad.
Cons: DOGS. a couple literally grabbed my disc and ran with it. the owners are generally nice and apologize about it though.

Blue pin positions are extraneous and much too easy for any real disc golfer in my opinion.
Other Thoughts: Mostly wooded with a few open-ish holes. As far as difficultly goes, out of 10 i would say its a 7. A couple are much harder and a handful are much easier.

great course overall. go play it if you're in the area.

1    9/24/2010   9/30/2010
Review By: apdrvya
Signage--Beautiful, accurate, full color, clearly defined OOB, shows obstacles and next tee.

Pins-- Nice, red, powder coated and grabby.

Asthetic-- Thise course is absolutely beautiful. I have never played a course that has this much stunning beauty. between the rock fences to the boulder pin to the mansion grounds, just beautiful.

Teepads-- huge rubber pads. not slick at all.

Practice area-- on top of the old cellar, unique and cool.

Nav Bricks-- under each pin there is a brick with an arrow that shows next tee
Cons: Finding your way to hole one-- I wish that there was a sign at the mansion that said disc golf this way. You have to walk a long way from the disc golf sign to where the first tee is.

Multiple Pins-- I expected, perhaps naively, that there would be both blue and red pins in the ground (as there were on hole one). All holes rather had the first red pins in place, but was confusing for the first few holes.

Hole 10-- no pin of any kind in the ground, we played to the big rock in the fairway.

To me these are big dings, I had initially thought about making this a five disc course, but couldn't in good conscience with these negatives.

Other Thoughts: Truly, if you are visiting NYC, this isnt that far away and should be a destination course for anyone.
If you want to play in the beauty of the connecticut woods, this is your course.

Great Woods Course

1    9/7/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: iDuumb
Pros: Very nice basket placement on multiple holes
Creative Layout that flowed very nicely
Good Elevation
Good Variety
Cons: Goes through a dog park, there were multiple times I had to wait for a person walking their dog before I could tee off. I was also worried that I would have a disc chased down by a dog but thankfully that didn't happen
Other Thoughts: Very Nice course overall, and worth the 40 minute drive from my campus. I am originally from Delaware and I am used to woods courses such as Iron Hill and carousel, I would say this is on par with both of those courses if anyone has played those.

Connecticut is apparently french for "awesome".

1    8/8/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: numbernine
Pros: - The tee pads at this place are bigger than my house. Which probably says more about my house than it does about the tee pads. And like my house, these tee pads are covered by what appears to be roofing material. This makes for a super grippy surface. Though it didn't make my game any better. I'm not sure a wizard could do that though.
- the baskets at this place are either new or well taken care of, or both. Which makes that "or" a pretty useless bit of wording. Either way, the baskets are marvelous. And while the two baskets per hole confused me at first; I am pretty dumb. So once I got it figured out, I used the two basket thing as an excuse for my poor play. It was nice to have something like that built in.
- This course has more shots than jerry has curls. Wooded, wide open, skill, hyzer, anhyzer and what could be some circus shots if you don't play well. So guess what I did a lot. It's always nice to play a course that has variety and not just a bunch of "throw it as hard as you can" holes or holes that are so hard that you can't even see the basket because of the number of trees. Pretty amazing.
- The signage is great on this course. There are little bricks in the ground near every basket that tell you where the next tee pad is. The signs at the holes are very accurate to each basket that comes into play. And there is a fantastic map at the first hole that shows you where everything is on the course. if you get lost on this course, it's probably because your seeing eye dog ran off and started humping a fence post.
- Two practice baskets on this course really round out the "if one is good, then two is better" theme of this place. Both appear to be brand new baskets. Again, practice doesn't help me, but it was good to have in case it does help you out.
- this park is beautiful. While we don't have anything like this park in Indiana (you generally have to throw around cows and have corn stalks as your obstacle), it was incredible to just look at.
- there was a box at 18 marked as a "disc return". I don't know what it's for, but I'd like to imagine that people at this course have honor. Where as people at my home course will brain you with a cinder block to take your discs from you.
Cons: I had two cons, and they knocked this course down a .5.
1. There were a couple of holes on this course that had fairways that interfered with one another. 14 and 18 sort of intersected. It wasn't that big of a deal, but someone did throw right into me as a I was teeing off on 14. I took his disc and melted it down right there on the spot, then buried it on the tee pad as I laughed maniacally, so it felt OK. That'll learn him.
- There is a LOT of other activity on this course. Dogs were running amuck all over the joint, and pedestrians came strolling into the fairway on four or five holes. There was also a guy hitting golf balls from the shelter house towards 14 and 18. That guy was just a dick. I mean, who hits golf balls in a crowded park anyway? I wanted to stab him in the neck with a rusty bedspring. But since I didn't have one, I just called him a jerkoff and gave him the one fingered salute.
Other Thoughts: I almost aced number one on this course, so that really set the mood for me I guess. There could have been rabid wolverines attacking me for the rest of the round and I don't think that I would have noticed after that shot.
The clubhouse/shelter thing at number one was a nice touch, even if it looked like a scene out of a B horror movie. I always carry a machete with me though, so it was all good.

Awesome course you have there Connecticut. Cherish it and give it soft lil' angel kisses every chance you get.

Gorgeous x2 (Disc Golf and grounds)

1    4/24/2010   5/12/2010
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: The baskets on the Cranbury course are by far the best I have ever seen. They are powder coated red mach V's (I believe). They also have older baskets that are painted blue, this set of baskets is appropriately named Blueberry, it also is much shorter and good for beginners. The course starts out in the open then it goes into the woods for a few holes. The rest of the holes pretty much alternate between wooded and open. There aren't really any technically overbearing holes but the basket positions make you bring your putting A-game. The hole that was my favorite had a six foot elevated basket set atop a large boulder (of course I hit the rim and three putted The tee signs are made by a local company and rival some of the best I have ever seen in sheer information and appearance. There is also space below them for an advertisement (hint hint Tim;). There are also pegs for your bags on the tee signs. The tee pads are completely flat. They are rubber laid over wooden platforms and all are uniformly long at about fifteen feet. There is at least one bench or lawn type chair at every tee, which makes waiting that much more fun. There are also trash cans scattered throughout the course on some various holes. This adds to the very clean kept grounds that the course is on. The grass is very well trimmed and the fairways are clear of any debris. There are also two or three practice baskets on top of an old cellar near hole one.
Cons: The tee pads in the woods are covered with pine needles and are slippery. No brooms are available at the tee pads to clear them away unfortunately. There is a walking trail and dog path that runs adjacent to and cuts into some of the fairways. I only had a problem with two of the twenty or so that I ran into though. The bricks at the bottom of the baskets pointing to the next tee might be the wrong way. There is no way to know which red basket location is current. They are all shown on the tee sign with no designator as to which one to throw to. On one hole, I believe it was ten, there were very low hanging power lines right in the middle of the fairway. I'm not sure if they are live or not but they could easily be a safety hazard.
Other Thoughts: The course is played on the grounds of an old mansion with beautiful grounds. There is also a very nice playground and picnic area on site.

Nice New England Course

2-4    12/4/2009   12/6/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: A very nice park to take a stroll with broad lawns and trails winding through thick woods. Very clean with very nice tee pads, signs and baskets.

The challenges exist throughout as you will have to keep on tight fairways on all but 4 holes. On these wooded holes, hitting a tree early can make it a bogey hole due to thick spindly trees in the rough. The key is 80% power on 80% of the holes. The flow is decent, and is mixed with some modest elevation changes and doglegs in both directions.

A few holes are memorable to me - #4 because of it's narrow difficulty factor. # 9 has a pin mounted beautifully on an outcropping of stone. #13 twists uphill to the left then flattens and turns right and has an OB rock wall on the left, thick trees on the right, and trees within the fairway- two very accurate shots will get you to the pin on this one and make you feel you've accomplished something.

Cons: It's a nice relief to have some open holes in the fields. They are actually SO open, they have almost no obstacles on the way to the pin. I thought those holes would have benefitted from more protection around the pin, at least.

The course suffers from winding directly through major pedestrian pathways (primarily off-leash dog walkers). I like people, and I like dogs but it it got a little redundant running into this traffic. Many of the paths run the entire length of the fairway! I realize the designers may not have had a choice, but I'm just expressing the frustration these delays create. It really is best to seperate the disc golf from other park users- especially furry ones that like to chew discs.
Other Thoughts: There are arrows located on bricks at the base of most of the pins that point to the next tee. This was quite helpful, but a couple were missing that created a little confusion.

Sweet Cranbury Park!

1    10/19/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 10/28/2009
Pros: Connecticut has the 2 best maintained public courses I have ever encountered in Cranbury and Wickham. Cranbury Park is set on the beautifully manicured grounds of an old mansion and estate. If courses were rated on amenities this place would get a perfect 5 disc rating. Perfect huge level rubber grippy tees, precise tee signs, 2 baskets per hole(cranbury red longs and blueberry shorts) The open holes 1,14,and 18 play over golf course quality green grass and provide a chance to warm up on #1, provide relief from the technical woods on #14 and take out your frustrations and air it out over 500 ft on #18. The mansion and estate grounds are groomed beyond what you will see at most ball golf country clubs. Theres a water fountain between hole 14,15,17, and 18 area. After you park your car on a huge cobblestone lot and next to a Mansion take a short walk to the warm up area, it is one of the best I have ever seen w/2 baskets set atop a preserved 200 yr old cellar. Then you see the clubhouse and tee "complex" for #1. Loaner disc slots, returned disc slots, Great info kiosk and a huge sheltered clubhouse that looks like a Yankee version of Paw Paw's barn! They even have a foot wipe at hole #2, a first for me! The course while not providing any truly epic holes is still both challenging and fun. Beginners will be challenged by the shorter blueberry baskets, yes they are deep blue colored and experts will enjoy the more difficult cranbury reds. The course amps up at hole #4 and from there it is winding up and down hills, utilizing tight fairways, interesting rock walls and boulders to provide a truly eastern technical feel. Several fun holes in the woods featuring R and L doglegs, floaters down hills, crushes uphills, and straight low canopied fairways. Some memorable shots were a basket perched atop a boulder formation on hole 9, a split fairway on #10 that finished fast downhill, a downhill then uphill dogleg R, an interesting historic stone walls that serves as OOB on holes 12&13 and finally a huge open 500+ crush across a roller friendly manicured lawn to a low ceiling approach to finish your day on #18. the woods for whatever reason were free of thorns and heavy I was penalized for bad shots with having to be creative and not tortured by lost discs and painful thorns.
Cons: It's a busy and beautiful place with many pedestrians and people walking dogs and enjoying the dog park area throughout the course and near #15....I don't mind friendly people and happy dogs but some people do. There are no truly signature drop your eyes out of your sockets types of holes that will remain etched in your mind once you leave. Just lots of fun and varied solid shots here. No water for hydro fans. Really difficult to label a con here, it's evident why this course is rated so highly.
Other Thoughts: This course would be the perfect place to take a GF, Wife, Mistress or anyone who otherwise would not enjoy your Disc Golf hobby due to the gorgeous estate, gardens, sculptures, mansion and preserved architecture that is so apparent here. After parking your car in the lot walk with your back to the mansion and the warm up area and clubhouse will be to your right at about 0200 beyond the white cottage.

Worth the trip, watch your step!

1    10/7/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: This is a very nice disc golf course. 18 great, very different holes. Two basket options on each hole. I played with a local and he wanted to play the longer holes. Otherwise I would have likely played the shorts on a first visit. No matter, great fun. Nice rubber tee pads. Today was wet after the rain last night and the pads had good grip. Nice tee signs on posts. There are pegs to hang your golf bag while teeing off. Nice added feature. Par, distance, pin location maps, major obstacles all indicated. Many holes have benches at each tee and some have trash cans. Woods are very clean. No trash. Baskets have an arrow to lead you to the next tee. Most are close. A few were tougher to find. Great use of woodsiness and elevation. There are holes here for every disc and every shot you have in your bag... and all the ones you don't have too. There a few narrow woodland tunnels here where a misplaced shot will punish you badly... golf disc pinball as I call it. Fortunately, every once in a while one of these trees returns a bad shot to the fairway for you as a gift. Hey, disc golf Karma, I guess. I'll take it. 16 and 18 play a bit odd as they are out in the wide open and feel weird after the 15 other holes in the woods. No real long grip and rip drive bombs here. The far baskets mostly play medium and the dog legs are more about lay it up and play for good par. Not too many real opportunities her for aces. All holes are par 3 so birdies will likely be limited to very good drive/set-up shots and well made, longish putts. If your approach game is strong you can par all day here... My suggested strategy here is: decent, focused drive, very accurate approach shot and a nice, short putt. Not too many opportunities here to use long distance drivers. This is a solid mid range and putter course.
Cons: Few. There is a lot to like here. Just one small thing and, sadly, 2 bigger, scary issues. It is hard to find the first tee as the course location is not well indicated, Small thing. With a local tour guide this was not an issue. The bigger issue(s), The course plays amongst and in some places, through a dog park. Most owners are considerate, but, there are no small dogs here. Most are the size of small horses. Owners and the dogs obviously enjoy the fact that leashes are not required. The dogs here run free as nature intended. Great if you are the dog. Not so great if you are out and about throwing brightly colored things. If I wanted to break in a disc by chewing on it I would chew on it myself. A big dog sprinting after you or your disc from around a blind turn on a trail will scare the crap out of you. Speaking of crap... The large size of the dogs here should provide a hint as to the size of the poop piles you will encounter. Tread carefully. I would have rated this course as a 5, but the dogs and the poop piles cost it a full point.
Other Thoughts: My review title says it all. Well worth the trip, but, watch your step. An added bonus is the extra baskets near the first tee for putting practice. Nice. O.K. I will give 'em back a point so they get a 4 . Best course I have played thus far. Too bad I live 800 miles away.