Tolland, CT
Cross Farms Share
Uploaded By: KazamaSmokers   (Taken 10/2009)
Take a left at this sign to get to the course

1    11/2/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is a good use of public land. The course is in the woods just next to a park filled with baseball fields. It is pretty intermediate friendly, with most of the holes being in the 250-350' range. All of the tee pads are rubber.

Navigation was pretty easy, and I never consulted the map. The bricks with the next tee arrow beneath the basket were plentiful (this should be standard on courses, more so than it is).

I enjoyed holes 5 and 6. Hole 5 throws into a clearing to a blind basket just over a little hill (since I didn't know where it was, of course I nearly aced it). Hole 6 is a long hyzer shot with a generous fairway but danger on either side with the woods. The rest of the holes are exclusively wooded.
Cons: Some of the teepads are slightly dangerous. Twice I stepped off the end and stumbled. They aren't huge drop-offs, but the pads are short enough that even a slow X-step will put you in danger of falling off the end.

Baskets are gray and aren't always easy to see from the teepad. On several holes I threw down the fairway rather than walking to locate the basket beforehand. There are also old, yellow baskets here and there, and I don't know how they fit in with the rest of the course (they aren't the main targets).

There is no elevation here.

My biggest complaint would probably be the number of fairways that had gaps but a few too many thin, spindly trees here and there or had no obvious landing zone. I usually looked at the fairway and thought "well, I'll try to get it 175 feet down the fairway and then hope it gets through whatever is in the way." The design wasn't bad but wasn't top notch either.

Lastly, the tee signs are tough to read because they are about 8 feet off the ground. Odd.
Other Thoughts: In spite of the number of cons I listed, I did enjoy my round. If you are in the area, this will keep you interested. If you are heading up 84, there are other courses within an hour that I would recommend first. That said, this is a surprisingly pretty area (surprising because I never hear anyone talking about the middle of Connecticut for natural beauty), and on a crisp fall day it was nice to spend a morning among the fading foliage.

1    7/31/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: MrHighlandPark
Pros: Close to Wickham, allowing for a convenient 36 hole day trip from the bordering states. Signs at every tee, and an easy to follow layout from basket to next tee pad.
Cons: This course was tightly wooded to the point that many holes appeared to have no fairway at all. It was as if it were an undeveloped woods waiting to be turned into disc golf course. We had a lot of trouble spotting the baskets from the tees, and in many cases ended up just throwing to where we thought the sign indicated the basket would be.
Other Thoughts: A wooded course with no fairways would really benefit from colorful, well marked baskets. The sign at hole one says that this course is only four years old - perhaps as it ages, some more playable lines will open up. I wonder if the local parks department disallowed tree cutting?