Chattanooga, TN
The Sinks Share
Uploaded By: JohnnyWang Hole #9 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #9 Baskets

Strange Attraction

2-4    8/6/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: rphancock1
Pros: All the amenities mentioned in other reviews.. Portolet, benches, multiple tees and multiple pin placements. Driving range with basket, in addition to putting basket. Guy selling discs out of his RV at 10am on a weekday. Very good variety of shots required off the tee. Fair and obvious routes to the pins, but some choices to be made.

Aaaaand.. Sinkholes!
Cons: Sinkholes. Mosquito breeding muddy water-filled sinkholes.

Signs are oddly descriptive.. There are distances from the two tees to the two basket placements, and then like "+50' to C position", with this super weird pro/novice par listed. I don't understand having different pars.. I saw this at Camp Jordan too, and never anywhere else. A par 3 is a par 3; if you got a 4, then keep playing and eventually you'll get better and get a 3. It's absurd to have different pars.

Signs would be better if they listed tees to pins distance and par. It's almost always a par 3 no matter what combo you play, but maybe on two holes with the long to long being over 400' I could see it being a par 4.

Like many southern courses, the rough is unplayable. Unless you're right on the edge, you're lucky to even be able to pitch out. Not a fault of the course exactly, but be prepared if you're sensitive to certain plants and you tend to get off the fairway. No real elevation changes.

Pretty much always crowded unless you go early on a weekday. Even then there were several others playing. And everyone seems to bring a dog, and sometimes the dogs fight. It's an odd place.
Other Thoughts: This has to be the only course I've played where the unique landscape feature is a mud filled hole. That would seem to be a large deterrent, but the course is so much fun that it's more of an interesting but preferably avoided oddity. Again, the sinkholes combined with the red raw landscape make this an odd place to want to be.. It's like playing disc golf in a Flannery O'Connor short story. I kept expecting some tragedy to be taking place around the next bend.

However.. There are some great and difficult holes, and you'll have to pull out pretty much all the shots you have to score well. That said, if you are a more advanced player it will still be a fun course, but not especially challenging. With a few notable exceptions, the holes are short (even from the long tee) and the lines not that hard to hit. It's a fun course, but advanced players will probably break par without too much difficulty.

Again, I really enjoyed the course,and look forward to playing it when I visit the area. Recommended to all skill levels.

Don't Fall In and You'll Be Fine

1    7/18/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Tee pads, signage, benches
Other Thoughts: The Sinks at DuPont Park is certainly unique. Ponds, inclines, and thick woods and undergrowth are the usual disc-eating dangers, but here it's sinkholes, which may or may not have water in them when you visit. These sinkholes add a strange flavor to a course that is otherwise long in amenities but more average in terms of playability.

The pros of this course are the amenities. First is the driving range right there at the parking lot; I'm going on 80 courses played but that's a first for me. Then every hole has nice signage, nice concrete tee pads for both the long and short tees (a big plus in my view), and there are next tee signs in many places. I believe every hole has at least two potential basket placements, and a bunch of holes actually have two baskets. So the potential for course variety between visits is high. Benches at every hole and enough trash cans such that the litter factor is very low are also big plusses.

The most important measurement of a course is the holes themselves, however, and by this metric The Sinks is good, but not great. There's no elevation to speak of, all 18 holes play in the woods, the only water challenges are basically big, deep mud puddles, and while the region is extremely scenic, the course is not placed to take in any of this scenery. The individual holes do have excellent variety, in terms of straight, left, right, doglegs, plus of course the variety of multiple tee pads and baskets, but it's still basically a par 54 course, even from the long tees. Each fairway is totally reasonable, in my view, and several holes have options in terms of approach. Overall, this course is a case of the designer and the local caretakers doing a fantastic job of making the best of what is, other than the sinkholes, an unremarkable piece of land.

Overall, I rate the Sinks Very Good, with that last half point due to my confidence that this is the sort of course that will improve for you with multiple plays due to the moving baskets and varied demands of the individual fairways. If you're anywhere nearby, the Sinks will be time well spent.

sink holes? yes sir!!!

1    6/17/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: jonray82
Pros: The sinks!!!! Yes it ate my disc, but it was well worth it! I had a blast at this place despite the raining on and off.... I had a pretty good round from the long tees for my first time playing.. a two over par... there are plenty of trees so if u like precision then this course is for you. There are nice concrete tee boxes for pro tees and am tees.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is it gets pretty muddy out there after the rain and also if you play this course be sure to bring some OFF spray.. its in the woods and mosquitoes are bad!!
Other Thoughts: If ur driving through you should pay this course a visit...and whats up LEON!!!! Thanks for playing with me!!! Great round!!

New Years Eve Play

2-4    12/31/2011   12/31/2011
Review By: owtdoorguy
Pros: Great tee pads, level. Course well maintained, holds up well after recent rains. Multiple pin options allow for creative hole designs.
Cons: Holes align well to throw into next tee boxes with a few of my errant throws...watch out if I am coming up behind you.

Wooded For Sure

2-4    10/7/2011   10/7/2011
Review By: wabrown23
Pros: The goods about the sinks far out way the bad, it is a great course. Most holes are relativity tough with the exception of 2 or three short ace race holes. Large Parking lot, putting practice area and a driving range! wow. Trash cans and benches at each tee! A guy there while we were playing mowing and maintaining the course! This course is well taken care of and a great place for any skill level with multiple tee pads and various pen locations on each hole.
Cons: Mosquitoes... they were awful. There was no way of telling which pen position the hole was in from the tee on many of the holes with out walking most of the fairway until you could see the pen. Holes 4,5,6 were dog legs that you had to back track back down the fairway to get to the next hole, I could see this causing major back up on a busier day than a Thursday morning. The driving range is only 350ft... warmed my putters and rocs up but then again most of the holes you are not going to bust out a hyper speed disc anyway, unless you enjoy bashing trees.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course was sweet, played multiple rounds and I am sure I will go back. Most of the locals we encountered seem nice and friendly.

Fun wooded challenge

1    4/23/2011   4/29/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through dense woods on a mostly flat piece of land. Several sinkholes come into play, including a deep one that has ladders going down so you can retrieve your disc, and a couple that seemed like they were small permanent water hazards. They made for a different type of obstacle than you usually see, which is fun.

There are dual tees on every hole, and every hole has 2-3 pin positions. This makes for a great deal of variety, especially since several of the long tees offer a slightly different line or an extra pinch point to navigate. The pin positions often change things up quite a bit, if they're rotated reasonably often it would offer a nice change of pace. The set up I played had a great mix of left and right turning holes, and a decent mix of short and long holes with some ace runs and some that required longer controlled shots through the woods.
Cons: The course obviously sees a ton of traffic. It's pretty beat down, which leads to erosion and mud on a rainy day. The sinkholes that have water in them are very murky, and seem like they would swallow discs, it's always nice to be able to retrieve them from water hazards. I loved seeing the tee signs show which pin position was in use, but the washer and screw were missing on several holes.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time playing here, and would definitely recommend it if you're passing through. It offers great options, with dual tees and even a few holes with permanent dual pins, so different levels of players can find an appropriate challenge. True beginners might find it a little tight and punishing of errant shots. More experienced players will find some great accuracy challenges, though there aren't any holes that require all that long of shots to score well.

Excellent course!

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Big parking lot with excellent signage and putting area. Lost disc drop box should be standard at all courses. Very pretty course (cool scenic walk to 13) Nice locals. I liked the baskets. They had thinner chains and really crashed when I hit them.
Cons: Could be more trash cans. Lot of sharp dogleg holes (left or right) I felt like I was shooting around corners a lot.
Other Thoughts: I felt like there was a bit of overlap. When we would walk from the the hole to the next tee, we had to walk through the fairway. I feel like people getting hit by discs is probably a common problem out here. The driving range was basically hole 19. Road on the left and fairway to the right. Thought it would be more open.... Very enjoyable course and I hope to be back soon.

The Sinks

1    3/26/2010   3/28/2010
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: Right away as you get out of your car you'll get the feeling that this is a one of a kind course. First of all just beyond the parking lot you'll enjoy a nice driving range. It has several tee pads of different types and sizes too. You'll find a few concrete ones, natural, artificial turf, etc. The basket was around 250' away but there was enough room behind to stretch out a 350' warm up drive if desired.

In addition to the driving range you'll see the practice basket for putting. It's also a pretty nice addition. It has benches around the perimeter and it's complete with distance markers on the ground as well.

As you walk to the first hole you'll notice little details of hard work and signature items like hand made signs, benches and walkways. You will continue to see those details along the course as you play through complete with some random decorations. You'll notice that every hole has benches with the names of the people who donated for them routed in the seat. It was nice to see a course with a big community feel to it. It is clean, safe, and seems to be well kept too. This course gets lots of love!

Playing the course itself won't leave you disappointed either. It is well designed and flows very well. This is a very fun and challenging course. Signs lead the way with all the pertinent info and they map out the fairways pretty well. Wooded holes and tight fairways are the predominate hole type with a couple that open up a little. You'll find very few that you'll be able to just lob down the fairway if you want to score well. You have to find your line, plan, and then execute, in some cases perfectly. There are left and right sweeping holes, doglegs, hidden baskets, and some strait shots with plenty of obstacles. Oh and the sinks! They are peppered along the course. You'll see a few on the front nine but the majority is on the back half. Number 12 was probably the most memorable sink encounter for me with the twin sinks on either side of the fairway full of muddy water. The sinks seem to very in size and depth, 5' foot wide to 20' wide and depth 1' deep to 10' deep. They probably were equally divided in terms of which ones were dry and which ones were full of water the day I visited. Rakes were available at all major sink holes with water to help with the retrieval but still, you don't want to end up in one.

Duel tees, both being concrete, and multiple basket placements really help mix things up too. Some holes (maybe 4 or so) had two baskets on each hole. I like that. It enables you to choose the course you want to play on any given day. There are lots of possibilities, short to short, long to long, short to long, long to short, etc. It was really nice. I played the long pads to the long pins and found this combo to be a very formidable layout. As I walked past the short tees I noted that they looked to be quite easier even though they were just shorter for the most part. Overall, there is a combo that should please/challenge everyone.
Cons: One of the biggest complaints that I've heard about wasn't an issue when I played. That's the big crowds. I can see how this would be a problem though.

I played after a day of rain and saw a few drainage problems with some excessive mud on some of the worn out areas.

Fortunately, I had a local course guide (thanks Rooster) to help me through the course. I still noticed a couple of problems that might have been fairly annoying without him. First, baskets from other fairways were visible from a few tees and it could be confusing on your first time out. Secondly the baskets are hard to spot in the woods. The duel baskets (which I think are awesome) could be confusing as well. Flags on the baskets would be a great way to help spot them. Some different color flags on the duel basket holes would be a good idea too.

My biggest complaint is some heavy shule off the fairways in many places. In my opinion a bad kick off a tree is punishment enough and is likely going to earn you an extra stroke in the first place. I don't like getting an additional stroke on top of that just because the areas off the fairways leave you no viable options to recover. They may as well be out of bounds. There are a lot of areas like this on the course.

Another reviewer brought up dogs on the course. We also saw three unleashed dogs wondering around the course with their owner just lazily walking behind them. The owners were not disc golfers. Not sure if that is a pattern or not but the park was not busy at all and we still saw them.

Those liking longer courses may be a little disappointed. I think the course makes up for it in its technical challenge though. Those who dislike heavily wooded course should stay away too.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area this is a must play! This is one of, if not the best courses in the Chattanooga area. In my opinion only Heritage Point and maybe Cloudland Canyon are in contention, depending on your preference. This one has been on my wish list for a while and I am glad I finally got to play it. Now it is on a new wish list, I wish it was closer to my house! I absolutely love wood courses and this was no exception. Try to catch Shepherd Rec Center's 9 hole course while you are in town too. I kind of thought of it as the Sink's "little sister". It makes for a great combo. I hope you like the Sinks as much as I did. Enjoy!

first time

5+    8/29/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: the very first course i played. went to chattanooga for a beer festival ,and my buddies introduced me to disc golf... havent looked back since. short technical course with alot of variety. kicked my A$$ the first 7 or 8 times i played it
Cons: its crowded most the time, but moves pretty fast for the most part
Other Thoughts: came back a year later to challenge the course. i live in charlotte and played almost everyday since my first visit to the sinks, first round -2 my second round was -7. from the shorts. love this course, cant wait to come back for my 2 year anniversary

My home course

5+    3/6/2009   3/7/2009
Review By: discwhisperer
Pros: Very tight.Multiple tees and baskets.Signs on every hole.Driving range and putting basket.Overall very clean,CFDC takes pride in this course.
Cons: After 3 very busy most days.Don't even think about Sunday.Some Sunday doubles groups seem to think they own the course.After doubles watch out for tag matches.Groups of 6,8,even10 are not uncommon.Some guys are really cool but the elitest won't even think of letting you play through.Be mindful of people behind you I have been hit by a drive/dangerous,some holes are blind.
Other Thoughts: Chattanoogas best course.Most of the guys responsible for bringing us this course are really cool.Get there early and enjoy it