Chattanooga, TN
The Sinks Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #1 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #1 Basket to Tee: Position B

The Sinks

1    10/19/2016   10/24/2016
Review By: lazrman778
Has practice basket

Has concrete tee pads

Has tee signs with locations of the various basket placements

Multiple basket placements on every hole

Has many benches and trash cans throughout course

Wooded fairways with some doglegs which will be challenging to the casual player

Almost all of the holes are under shade where this can be really appreciated in the hot and humid summers

Course flows pretty good

Park is exclusive for disc golf and you won't see other parkgoers

Really no water hazards here to lose your disc (currently there's a drought)

Nice split of the front and back nines in case you want to start on hole #10 first

Porta potty

Free Parking
Old tee signs could use some updating - had to use a lot of math in calculating the distance from tee to basket

Multiple baskets on some holes can be confusing for the first timer

Baskets can be hard to locate from tees until you find the orange paint on the poles

Needs more next tee signs at some baskets

Course is mostly flat

Course can get crowded at times as it's popular with the locals

Lots of mosquitos here (even during a drought in mid-October) - bring some insect repellent
This is a nice course that I enjoyed playing while visiting Chattanooga. Seeing the collection of sinks at the putting area gives the course its uniqueness that you won't find at other courses. I went during a Wednesday morning and was surprised to see other players there as well - I can't imagine how busy the course is on the weekends. I wish the course had more of a mix of open and wooded fairways but they're mostly wooded. Also, a par 54 for the long tees is setting the bar pretty high here...should be more of a par 56 in my opinion. Given the length of 561ft and a narrow fairway, hole #15 just seems to be impossible to get a par 3. Definitely a must play if you're in the area.

Get your putters and mid ranges ready!

2-4    5/25/2016   5/25/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Battle your short game technique and consistency! Helps dial in your tight and technical shots, teaches you to use your putter as a driver. Also teaches you how to throw straight.
Cons: Could get boring if you're into a variety of distances and obstacles.
Other Thoughts: You really don't even need a distance driver at all, so if you're into variety, you'll enjoy it, but want more.

Fun Course - Will Be Back

2-4    5/22/2016   5/24/2016
Review By: SuperDave1981
This review was updated on 5/28/2016
Pros: Some courses may feel as though a pin and tee pad were randomly placed and called a hole, but not here! It's obvious that a lot of time and thought were put into the design of nearly every hole. Each hole has not one, but two tee pads (one amateur and one pro). Signage and benches are at every hole, and trash cans are at most, which keeps the course mostly clear of litter. The course is also very well maintained. The fairways are clear and stump free and trenches have been dug to clear areas where standing water may accumulate. Another great feature to this course are the friendly locals. My fist time playing, I ran into a group of 6 or 7 at the first hole. When they found it was my first time playing there, they let me play the entire course with them. This course might be challenging for beginners because some holes require an accurate line through some trees. Others have narrow fairways and out of sight pin placement. Each hole has at least two pins and many aren't visible from the tee pad. Another great feature are the practice pins located near the parking lot. They're great for warming up before playing, or for practicing afterward.
Cons: Each hole has at least two pins - While I listed this as a pro, because I feel it adds variety to the way the course is played, I also feel it adds confusion to the way the course should be played. The signage at every hole indicates a "Novice Par 4" and "Advance Par 3" but does that mean that it's a Par 3 if you play the closest pin and a par 4 if you play the furthest? Is it solely determined by your skill level? Or is it dependent on which tee pad you throw from? I've only been playing a few months, and finished this course 11 - under par according to the Novice Par 4 standard. Had I calculated each hole a Par 3, I would have finished 7 over, which is generally closer to where I finish at other courses I play more often. Some of the holes are in very close proximity to others, which can make it fairly easy to accidentally throw a stray disc and interfere with someone else's game. This seems to be a fairly popular course among the locals, so don't be surprised if its a little crowded at times.
Other Thoughts: The first time playing any course, I expect to finish poorer than I would after becoming more familiar with it - so I was surprised when I finished as well as I did my first time here. I like the fact that there was signage at every hole because not every course offers that, but I think some updating can be done on their design. I also think it'd be nice if each pin had the hole number and direction to next tee on them. Being that there are more than one on each hole, they should also be labeled "A","B", or "C" etc. I try to be hard on my critique because I think pointing out areas of improvement will really help to improve the course, but there's really not a whole lot you can complain about with this course. Can't wait to come back and play again!

1    9/23/2015   9/23/2015
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This course has a feel unlike any other course I have played. It feels very down home, super nice people, driving range and putting area right by the parking and super easy to navigate. There were a lot of people there but they were all very friendly and were good about letting me (by myself) play through. I was concerned that it might be hard to navigate but the course runs all through the woods and it is very well marked so that I only got confused in one spot where I could see 3 baskets all in the same general area. The map wasn't all that helpful because the layout was so easy to follow that I didn't really even need the map.

The fairways are pretty technical with a definite line on each hole that makes an advanced player have a look at quite a few birdies. Everything is pretty short but not in a ridiculous sense. The challenge is in shaping your shot and playing quite a few blind holes. The course is also very flat and I found it pretty easy to find my discs even in the rough (which was pretty rough in a few places).

The driving range and putting area is a huge plus and is a pretty unusual feature for a DG course.

Tee pads were adequate as was the signage...not outstanding but helpful and enough to give you an idea. This is an all around good course with plenty to keep you coming back and convenient access off some major roads. I would definitely play it again on the way through town.
Cons: Spot a snake on 1's fairway and from other reviews and updates looks like there are a fair amount of snakes on the course. No big deal. Hard to know where the nasty puddles were on my first time through. Managed to miss them all but could have easily ended up in them. A few mosquitoes on the course in the rough that surprised me...I think that was around hole 16.

No major cons...nothing major to write home about on the down side.
Other Thoughts: The park could use some updated signs. Other than that I think they did a great job with the space they have. Some great people on this course that are very helpful. Definitely play this if you are in the area trying to decide which course to play.

Very Good Wooded Coarse

1    4/5/2015   4/5/2015
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This is a fine example of a wooded course that has been designed to be challenging, but fair. In my mind the width and shape of the fairways is just right. No so tight as to be ridiculous, but tight enough to require accurate drives. A good mix of straight, left-finishing and right-finishing holes.

Two concrete tee pads for each hole. The pads are good and level, with a nice texture. They are not exceptionally long, but the course doesn't require big run-ups. Tee pads even have mud scrapers embedded next to them to wipe the mud off of your shoes. Nice touch.

Two or three pin positions for each hole. The morning I played there were two, and sometimes three baskets actually in place on some holes. That made it a little confusing for a first-time traveler like myself, but for the locals I can see that it adds flexibility.

Navigation was pretty straightforward, with several "next tee" signs in strategic locations.

Most of the holes are in the 200' - 350' range, and all drives are down a wooded fairway with fairly thick woods on each side. Some of the brush hadn't leafed out yet, but I imagine it gets thicker later in the season.

Nice large parking lot, with a big bulletin board, Practice basket and driving range next to parking give a great spot to warm up.
Cons: The tee signs have seen better days. Much of the detail has been faded off of them, so they are basically there to give hole number, par, and distance info. Many have been "updated" with a sharpie to show line to the basket.

There is a sort of single dimension to the course. I think that the design is very good for the area they are working with, but there was no elevation to work with, really no water significantly in play, and not a lot of length.

The ground can obviously get muddy. There were low spots that were quiet mushy and a little standing water.
Other Thoughts: Hats off to the local club that maintains this course. It was in great shape, with plenty of benches and trash cans. No trash on the ground the day I played.

Strange Attraction

2-4    8/6/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: rphancock1
Pros: All the amenities mentioned in other reviews.. Portolet, benches, multiple tees and multiple pin placements. Driving range with basket, in addition to putting basket. Guy selling discs out of his RV at 10am on a weekday. Very good variety of shots required off the tee. Fair and obvious routes to the pins, but some choices to be made.

Aaaaand.. Sinkholes!
Cons: Sinkholes. Mosquito breeding muddy water-filled sinkholes.

Signs are oddly descriptive.. There are distances from the two tees to the two basket placements, and then like "+50' to C position", with this super weird pro/novice par listed. I don't understand having different pars.. I saw this at Camp Jordan too, and never anywhere else. A par 3 is a par 3; if you got a 4, then keep playing and eventually you'll get better and get a 3. It's absurd to have different pars.

Signs would be better if they listed tees to pins distance and par. It's almost always a par 3 no matter what combo you play, but maybe on two holes with the long to long being over 400' I could see it being a par 4.

Like many southern courses, the rough is unplayable. Unless you're right on the edge, you're lucky to even be able to pitch out. Not a fault of the course exactly, but be prepared if you're sensitive to certain plants and you tend to get off the fairway. No real elevation changes.

Pretty much always crowded unless you go early on a weekday. Even then there were several others playing. And everyone seems to bring a dog, and sometimes the dogs fight. It's an odd place.
Other Thoughts: This has to be the only course I've played where the unique landscape feature is a mud filled hole. That would seem to be a large deterrent, but the course is so much fun that it's more of an interesting but preferably avoided oddity. Again, the sinkholes combined with the red raw landscape make this an odd place to want to be.. It's like playing disc golf in a Flannery O'Connor short story. I kept expecting some tragedy to be taking place around the next bend.

However.. There are some great and difficult holes, and you'll have to pull out pretty much all the shots you have to score well. That said, if you are a more advanced player it will still be a fun course, but not especially challenging. With a few notable exceptions, the holes are short (even from the long tee) and the lines not that hard to hit. It's a fun course, but advanced players will probably break par without too much difficulty.

Again, I really enjoyed the course,and look forward to playing it when I visit the area. Recommended to all skill levels.

Don't Fall In and You'll Be Fine

1    7/18/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Tee pads, signage, benches
Other Thoughts: The Sinks at DuPont Park is certainly unique. Ponds, inclines, and thick woods and undergrowth are the usual disc-eating dangers, but here it's sinkholes, which may or may not have water in them when you visit. These sinkholes add a strange flavor to a course that is otherwise long in amenities but more average in terms of playability.

The pros of this course are the amenities. First is the driving range right there at the parking lot; I'm going on 80 courses played but that's a first for me. Then every hole has nice signage, nice concrete tee pads for both the long and short tees (a big plus in my view), and there are next tee signs in many places. I believe every hole has at least two potential basket placements, and a bunch of holes actually have two baskets. So the potential for course variety between visits is high. Benches at every hole and enough trash cans such that the litter factor is very low are also big plusses.

The most important measurement of a course is the holes themselves, however, and by this metric The Sinks is good, but not great. There's no elevation to speak of, all 18 holes play in the woods, the only water challenges are basically big, deep mud puddles, and while the region is extremely scenic, the course is not placed to take in any of this scenery. The individual holes do have excellent variety, in terms of straight, left, right, doglegs, plus of course the variety of multiple tee pads and baskets, but it's still basically a par 54 course, even from the long tees. Each fairway is totally reasonable, in my view, and several holes have options in terms of approach. Overall, this course is a case of the designer and the local caretakers doing a fantastic job of making the best of what is, other than the sinkholes, an unremarkable piece of land.

Overall, I rate the Sinks Very Good, with that last half point due to my confidence that this is the sort of course that will improve for you with multiple plays due to the moving baskets and varied demands of the individual fairways. If you're anywhere nearby, the Sinks will be time well spent.

sink holes? yes sir!!!

1    6/17/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: jonray82
Pros: The sinks!!!! Yes it ate my disc, but it was well worth it! I had a blast at this place despite the raining on and off.... I had a pretty good round from the long tees for my first time playing.. a two over par... there are plenty of trees so if u like precision then this course is for you. There are nice concrete tee boxes for pro tees and am tees.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is it gets pretty muddy out there after the rain and also if you play this course be sure to bring some OFF spray.. its in the woods and mosquitoes are bad!!
Other Thoughts: If ur driving through you should pay this course a visit...and whats up LEON!!!! Thanks for playing with me!!! Great round!!

New Years Eve Play

2-4    12/31/2011   12/31/2011
Review By: owtdoorguy
Pros: Great tee pads, level. Course well maintained, holds up well after recent rains. Multiple pin options allow for creative hole designs.
Cons: Holes align well to throw into next tee boxes with a few of my errant out if I am coming up behind you.

Wooded For Sure

2-4    10/7/2011   10/7/2011
Review By: wabrown23
Pros: The goods about the sinks far out way the bad, it is a great course. Most holes are relativity tough with the exception of 2 or three short ace race holes. Large Parking lot, putting practice area and a driving range! wow. Trash cans and benches at each tee! A guy there while we were playing mowing and maintaining the course! This course is well taken care of and a great place for any skill level with multiple tee pads and various pen locations on each hole.
Cons: Mosquitoes... they were awful. There was no way of telling which pen position the hole was in from the tee on many of the holes with out walking most of the fairway until you could see the pen. Holes 4,5,6 were dog legs that you had to back track back down the fairway to get to the next hole, I could see this causing major back up on a busier day than a Thursday morning. The driving range is only 350ft... warmed my putters and rocs up but then again most of the holes you are not going to bust out a hyper speed disc anyway, unless you enjoy bashing trees.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course was sweet, played multiple rounds and I am sure I will go back. Most of the locals we encountered seem nice and friendly.