Chattanooga, TN
The Sinks Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #4 (Taken 5/2011)

Fun and Challenging

5+    4/4/2007   11/4/2010
Review By: KevinDMoses
Pros: Well-maintained, great amenities, challenging course (which makes it fun when you hit a good shot!
Cons: Tons of trees and hazards, but it's not too discouraging. Can be crowded
Other Thoughts: You need to play it! It's one-of-a-kind!

Excellent course!

1    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
Pros: Big parking lot with excellent signage and putting area. Lost disc drop box should be standard at all courses. Very pretty course (cool scenic walk to 13) Nice locals. I liked the baskets. They had thinner chains and really crashed when I hit them.
Cons: Could be more trash cans. Lot of sharp dogleg holes (left or right) I felt like I was shooting around corners a lot.
Other Thoughts: I felt like there was a bit of overlap. When we would walk from the the hole to the next tee, we had to walk through the fairway. I feel like people getting hit by discs is probably a common problem out here. The driving range was basically hole 19. Road on the left and fairway to the right. Thought it would be more open.... Very enjoyable course and I hope to be back soon.

Technical but Fun

1    7/7/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: pastorfrf
Pros: Very well laid out.
Love the driving range.
The People are very nice!
Challenging...multiple pin placements and Tees.
Cons: Very tight quarters.
Busy.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course. Coming from Florida, i am used to more open holes. Sure, we have our tight shots around trees and water but this was a bit different. I did not see an open hole. This made it challenging. I highly recommend this course!

Not just a clever name

1    7/6/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Sinks has almost everything you could ask for in a disc golf course. Two concrete tee pads on each hole. At least two pin placements on most holes. Some holes had baskets in both positions. A driving range along with multiple tee boxes. A putting practice basket. Benches and signs at every hole. Water when it's hot outside, a gnome, and the kitchen sink. This is a very versatile course containing a good mix of shots at any distance. Through woods without much elevation (unless you land in one of the "Sinks"). One of the most well equipped courses I have had the pleasure of visiting.
Cons: The sinkholes scattered through the course looked very intimidating (some of them had ladders to climb out of them). I showed up just before a league tournament that played everything from the short tees to the short pins, and was able to avoid them. I'm sure the longer layouts would make them more prominent. Water was in play on two or three holes when I played, after a dry spell. I heard it gets a little more messy after rain.
Other Thoughts: The group I played with at the weekly were good guys, and I enjoyed the local wisdom imparted by the TD Josh, and Jim and Russ. Finding the park was sort of tough, but the directions posted are as good as I could do if asked to describe them. If you make it through the traffic circles on the right path, be looking to the left for the park entrance across from the plant.

A nice wooded course

5+    12/18/2010   5/25/2010
Review By: JSurmann
This review was updated on 1/30/2011
Pros: Baskets are all Chainstar baskets and appear to be in good shape for the amount of use that they get. There are multiple pin positions on many holes that get changes 4-5 times a year. These changes actually change the whole hole and don't just add on a couple of feet. These alternate pins were well thought out and are a delightful challenge when they are changed.

Tee pads are concrete and are of average size. All holes have pro tees and vary in distance behind the am tees from 20-50'. Tee signs are by the am tees and list distance and pars. (4 from am, 3 from pros)

The front 9 and back 9 each make a loop and makes it easy to just play 9 and get back to the parking lot without a long walk. Upkeep on this heavily wooded course is great. Ivy is sparse and schule is kept to a minimum. Most of the fairways have wood chips down. Each tee has a bench and trash cans are about every 3-4 holes on the course.

Most of the holes are very technical, requiring hyzer and anhyzer shots to do well. This course will test your patience the first few times you are out here but it wouldn't be Chattanooga's top rated course if it was easy. Hole length varies from ~150'-450' depending on which tees you throw from.

Access to the park is easy enough with plenty of parking a port-a-john, a practice putting green, and a 350' driving range. Doubles events and weekly tourneys go on throughout the summer and every single person that I have met there have been super friendly.
Cons: The course can get a little bit crowded on the weekends but rarely during the week before 4pm. After a good rain, a few holes will have standing water for a day or so but nothing too bad. Closest place to get discs would be Play it Again Sports and they are a little overpriced I think.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course that I ever reviewed and I realized that I needed to be a little more objective in my review so I updated it.

The sink holes though out the course are pretty cool to look at, particularly the one to the left of tee 9. It is about 20' deep and 40' across. But don't worry, there is a ladder in case your disc goes in.

The Signature hole I think is hole 12 on the far pin which plays blind up hill with about 15' rise in elevation with two sink holes that are almost always filled with water on either side of the fairway at the top of the hill. The pin is then 60' past the sinkholes, slightly downhill.

In the summer, bring your bug spray!

Sweet

5+    5/4/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: TreeBurner
Pros: Driving range with basket and "putting green" are one of a kind. All teepads are concrete. Multiple teepads on each hole. Well-maintained course ie: mulch/gravel placed to eliminate muddy trails, weeds/poison ivy cut back and sprayed, trash cans on a good number of holes, pin placement is changed often. Plenty of "conveniently located" trees force a variety of shots. Most holes are separated by heavy woods, so they are rather secluded. Very little wind.
Cons: Crowded, especially on weekends. Needs another 18 holes added or another course to open nearby to thin out the masses. Crowds can turn a 1hr round into 3hrs very easily.
Other Thoughts: Tree Love!

From the Pros

5+    4/23/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: SirRaph
This review was updated on 6/9/2010
Pros: The course is well designed, especially for the allotted space, with a variety of shots required.
The sink holes add a very unique element, especially when they're holding water. It's about as close to a sand trap as disc golf gets. Tees are placed creatively when sinks come into play.

From the short tees, the course will allow newer players (and wives, in my case) to enjoy the course without feeling overwhelmed, yet still allow more regular players to be challenged, without feeling overwhelmed with big D holes.

From the long tees (and especially to the long baskets) it's a very challenging course. It's amazing how much tighter a window gets when you move 40' back to the longer pad.

The "driving range" is a nice touch, as is the putting practice pin.

Though this can be said of many courses, I think it's especially true at The Sinks, simply because there's no other high caliber course options in the area--the community of players here is great. There are some very, very good players that frequent this course, and the doubles play on Sundays lets newer players mingle with the local bad asses. Also, the Chattanooga Flying Disc Club does a lot of good work for the inner city kids.
Cons: No long, air-it-out holes. This is understandable, considering there's not enough real estate to allow for one. But it would be nice to have a breather, and get "out of the woods" once.

It can be crowded at times. A lot of newbie players. I've been stuck behind a large group or family with a stroller a number of times.
One more 18 hole course in the area would/will really help this issue.

Driving range terminates in trees and brush after 350 ft.

Tee signs are outdated from time to time, as pin location changes.

Other Thoughts: Best course in the Chattanooga area. It has quickly gained a special place in my disc golf heart.

The Sinks

1    3/26/2010   3/28/2010
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: Right away as you get out of your car you'll get the feeling that this is a one of a kind course. First of all just beyond the parking lot you'll enjoy a nice driving range. It has several tee pads of different types and sizes too. You'll find a few concrete ones, natural, artificial turf, etc. The basket was around 250' away but there was enough room behind to stretch out a 350' warm up drive if desired.

In addition to the driving range you'll see the practice basket for putting. It's also a pretty nice addition. It has benches around the perimeter and it's complete with distance markers on the ground as well.

As you walk to the first hole you'll notice little details of hard work and signature items like hand made signs, benches and walkways. You will continue to see those details along the course as you play through complete with some random decorations. You'll notice that every hole has benches with the names of the people who donated for them routed in the seat. It was nice to see a course with a big community feel to it. It is clean, safe, and seems to be well kept too. This course gets lots of love!

Playing the course itself won't leave you disappointed either. It is well designed and flows very well. This is a very fun and challenging course. Signs lead the way with all the pertinent info and they map out the fairways pretty well. Wooded holes and tight fairways are the predominate hole type with a couple that open up a little. You'll find very few that you'll be able to just lob down the fairway if you want to score well. You have to find your line, plan, and then execute, in some cases perfectly. There are left and right sweeping holes, doglegs, hidden baskets, and some strait shots with plenty of obstacles. Oh and the sinks! They are peppered along the course. You'll see a few on the front nine but the majority is on the back half. Number 12 was probably the most memorable sink encounter for me with the twin sinks on either side of the fairway full of muddy water. The sinks seem to very in size and depth, 5' foot wide to 20' wide and depth 1' deep to 10' deep. They probably were equally divided in terms of which ones were dry and which ones were full of water the day I visited. Rakes were available at all major sink holes with water to help with the retrieval but still, you don't want to end up in one.

Duel tees, both being concrete, and multiple basket placements really help mix things up too. Some holes (maybe 4 or so) had two baskets on each hole. I like that. It enables you to choose the course you want to play on any given day. There are lots of possibilities, short to short, long to long, short to long, long to short, etc. It was really nice. I played the long pads to the long pins and found this combo to be a very formidable layout. As I walked past the short tees I noted that they looked to be quite easier even though they were just shorter for the most part. Overall, there is a combo that should please/challenge everyone.
Cons: One of the biggest complaints that I've heard about wasn't an issue when I played. That's the big crowds. I can see how this would be a problem though.

I played after a day of rain and saw a few drainage problems with some excessive mud on some of the worn out areas.

Fortunately, I had a local course guide (thanks Rooster) to help me through the course. I still noticed a couple of problems that might have been fairly annoying without him. First, baskets from other fairways were visible from a few tees and it could be confusing on your first time out. Secondly the baskets are hard to spot in the woods. The duel baskets (which I think are awesome) could be confusing as well. Flags on the baskets would be a great way to help spot them. Some different color flags on the duel basket holes would be a good idea too.

My biggest complaint is some heavy shule off the fairways in many places. In my opinion a bad kick off a tree is punishment enough and is likely going to earn you an extra stroke in the first place. I don't like getting an additional stroke on top of that just because the areas off the fairways leave you no viable options to recover. They may as well be out of bounds. There are a lot of areas like this on the course.

Another reviewer brought up dogs on the course. We also saw three unleashed dogs wondering around the course with their owner just lazily walking behind them. The owners were not disc golfers. Not sure if that is a pattern or not but the park was not busy at all and we still saw them.

Those liking longer courses may be a little disappointed. I think the course makes up for it in its technical challenge though. Those who dislike heavily wooded course should stay away too.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area this is a must play! This is one of, if not the best courses in the Chattanooga area. In my opinion only Heritage Point and maybe Cloudland Canyon are in contention, depending on your preference. This one has been on my wish list for a while and I am glad I finally got to play it. Now it is on a new wish list, I wish it was closer to my house! I absolutely love wood courses and this was no exception. Try to catch Shepherd Rec Center's 9 hole course while you are in town too. I kind of thought of it as the Sink's "little sister". It makes for a great combo. I hope you like the Sinks as much as I did. Enjoy!

Trees, Trees, and giant sink holes

1    1/29/2010   1/29/2010
Review By: sdervan
Pros: Pros: The Baskets are in very good shape and the multiple tee pads/pin locations were awesome. The course is very well laid out and a lot of work went into making this one of the most challenging courses i have played.
Cons: Cons: There were far to many trees and no holes that you could just let it rip. No open holes deep sinks holes means that you will more than likely be looking for a lost disc. You can't even see the sink holes until after your first shot and then sometimes it's too late.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course again and would recommend it but would not make it a regular stop.

first time

5+    8/29/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: the very first course i played. went to chattanooga for a beer festival ,and my buddies introduced me to disc golf... havent looked back since. short technical course with alot of variety. kicked my A$$ the first 7 or 8 times i played it
Cons: its crowded most the time, but moves pretty fast for the most part
Other Thoughts: came back a year later to challenge the course. i live in charlotte and played almost everyday since my first visit to the sinks, first round -2 my second round was -7. from the shorts. love this course, cant wait to come back for my 2 year anniversary