Chattanooga, TN
The Sinks Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #8 (Taken 5/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Strange Attraction

2-4    8/6/2014   8/6/2014
Review By: rphancock1
Pros: All the amenities mentioned in other reviews.. Portolet, benches, multiple tees and multiple pin placements. Driving range with basket, in addition to putting basket. Guy selling discs out of his RV at 10am on a weekday. Very good variety of shots required off the tee. Fair and obvious routes to the pins, but some choices to be made.

Aaaaand.. Sinkholes!
Cons: Sinkholes. Mosquito breeding muddy water-filled sinkholes.

Signs are oddly descriptive.. There are distances from the two tees to the two basket placements, and then like "+50' to C position", with this super weird pro/novice par listed. I don't understand having different pars.. I saw this at Camp Jordan too, and never anywhere else. A par 3 is a par 3; if you got a 4, then keep playing and eventually you'll get better and get a 3. It's absurd to have different pars.

Signs would be better if they listed tees to pins distance and par. It's almost always a par 3 no matter what combo you play, but maybe on two holes with the long to long being over 400' I could see it being a par 4.

Like many southern courses, the rough is unplayable. Unless you're right on the edge, you're lucky to even be able to pitch out. Not a fault of the course exactly, but be prepared if you're sensitive to certain plants and you tend to get off the fairway. No real elevation changes.

Pretty much always crowded unless you go early on a weekday. Even then there were several others playing. And everyone seems to bring a dog, and sometimes the dogs fight. It's an odd place.
Other Thoughts: This has to be the only course I've played where the unique landscape feature is a mud filled hole. That would seem to be a large deterrent, but the course is so much fun that it's more of an interesting but preferably avoided oddity. Again, the sinkholes combined with the red raw landscape make this an odd place to want to be.. It's like playing disc golf in a Flannery O'Connor short story. I kept expecting some tragedy to be taking place around the next bend.

However.. There are some great and difficult holes, and you'll have to pull out pretty much all the shots you have to score well. That said, if you are a more advanced player it will still be a fun course, but not especially challenging. With a few notable exceptions, the holes are short (even from the long tee) and the lines not that hard to hit. It's a fun course, but advanced players will probably break par without too much difficulty.

Again, I really enjoyed the course,and look forward to playing it when I visit the area. Recommended to all skill levels.

Don't Fall In and You'll Be Fine

1    7/18/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Tee pads, signage, benches
Other Thoughts: The Sinks at DuPont Park is certainly unique. Ponds, inclines, and thick woods and undergrowth are the usual disc-eating dangers, but here it's sinkholes, which may or may not have water in them when you visit. These sinkholes add a strange flavor to a course that is otherwise long in amenities but more average in terms of playability.

The pros of this course are the amenities. First is the driving range right there at the parking lot; I'm going on 80 courses played but that's a first for me. Then every hole has nice signage, nice concrete tee pads for both the long and short tees (a big plus in my view), and there are next tee signs in many places. I believe every hole has at least two potential basket placements, and a bunch of holes actually have two baskets. So the potential for course variety between visits is high. Benches at every hole and enough trash cans such that the litter factor is very low are also big plusses.

The most important measurement of a course is the holes themselves, however, and by this metric The Sinks is good, but not great. There's no elevation to speak of, all 18 holes play in the woods, the only water challenges are basically big, deep mud puddles, and while the region is extremely scenic, the course is not placed to take in any of this scenery. The individual holes do have excellent variety, in terms of straight, left, right, doglegs, plus of course the variety of multiple tee pads and baskets, but it's still basically a par 54 course, even from the long tees. Each fairway is totally reasonable, in my view, and several holes have options in terms of approach. Overall, this course is a case of the designer and the local caretakers doing a fantastic job of making the best of what is, other than the sinkholes, an unremarkable piece of land.

Overall, I rate the Sinks Very Good, with that last half point due to my confidence that this is the sort of course that will improve for you with multiple plays due to the moving baskets and varied demands of the individual fairways. If you're anywhere nearby, the Sinks will be time well spent.

sink holes? yes sir!!!

1    6/17/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: jonray82
Pros: The sinks!!!! Yes it ate my disc, but it was well worth it! I had a blast at this place despite the raining on and off.... I had a pretty good round from the long tees for my first time playing.. a two over par... there are plenty of trees so if u like precision then this course is for you. There are nice concrete tee boxes for pro tees and am tees.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is it gets pretty muddy out there after the rain and also if you play this course be sure to bring some OFF spray.. its in the woods and mosquitoes are bad!!
Other Thoughts: If ur driving through you should pay this course a visit...and whats up LEON!!!! Thanks for playing with me!!! Great round!!

Awesome course.

5+    5/8/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: Rockyraccoon
Pros: This is a great course with many perks. Each hole features two concrete tee pads, benches and multiple pin placements.....some even have multiple pins. Great variety of shots requiring straight, hyzer and anny lines. Mostly wooded holes all offer throwable lines although some are tight. The course is well maintained and also has a practice basket and a driving range also with a basket. Several trash cans are located along the course. Small water hazards/sink holes add to the challenge.
Cons: Not a lot to list here. The course can get a little muddy after rains but its not horrible....even after the recent downpours. The sinkholes can eat a disc but most are small and have rakes nearby to help retrieve sunken discs. The brush can be thick if you get off the fairway.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best courses I've played as it is fun, challenging, and has something for everyone with many layout options per hole. The local club apparently does a great job taking care of this course. Well worth a visit anytime your in the area.

Love Hate Relationship....

5+    4/5/2013   4/5/2013
Review By: bulletproof88
This review was updated on 4/28/2013
Pros: The more I play it, the better it gets!!! Has a huge variety of shots. Great location, cool layout, water hazards, lots of tough holes, nice driving range/putting green. Healthy disc trading market. Awesome handling of lost discs!
Cons: Odd backtracking to some tees, slows others.
Not really the best for beginners.
Crowded at times.
Also, the darn trees....
Other Thoughts: When you start to understand disc golf above the level of a recreational player, The Sinks really start to open up to you. My first round, cursing the trees and ponds. Having played it almost daily, more flight paths are opening up and the course is teaching me more every round!!!
Let me know if you are in the area and wanna play! CFDC bag tag #88
I also frequently pull discs out of the waterhazards and return them, put your name on your discs people!!!

My home course

5+    3/11/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Discjunkie89
Pros: This is a course that can humble some of the best players. It is challenging and yet still fun. It taught me very quickly distance isn't nearly as important as accuracy. I have played this course 2-3 times a week at least since I started playing more than a few times a year. I am just now getting brave enough to play the long pads. This course has helped my game a whole lot.
Cons: Hole 11 floods part of the winter (about 50 feet or so of the fairway) right where my drives normally land. Also the longer tee boxes arent too much longer but this really isn't too much of a con because they still change the way I have to play the course.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course. It will challenge your accuracy every throw and make you jump for joy on some shots and kick your bag on others. Its brutal, yet I havent found a course that after a round of shooting under par so satisfying.

It was fun, but could be better

1    7/24/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: LoPan12
Pros: -Baskets in good condition
-Concrete pads
-Informational, but not overwhleming/confusing signs
-Benches at each pad, trash cans every few holes
-Good parking, front 9 ends by lot, making a quick 9 (front or back) easy.
-mostly fair fairways, not overcrowded with trees. The roughage is on the thick side, but didn't have too much of an issue.
-Two pads at each hole, with two pin positions.
Cons: -Some holes had multiple pins, which, for a first timer, can be confusing, but hole 15 had a third pin, that was even closer, which I ended up throwing at.
-A couple holes still had trees that didnt need to be there.
-Lots of partial backtracking from the pin, down and onto the fairway, to get to the next hole. I can see this at worst getting you thrown at. But I see it definitely holding up play, and overall flow of the course if its crowded. People behind you would have to wait for you to hole out, and then walk back. Just a few more seconds, but added up over the course, and then ripple it back down the line of groups, and it could add up.
-The first sinkhole was kind of neat, but after that, they were just kind of gross mucky/wet insect holes...don't know how I feel about them, but its enough to go in the cons..
-Hole 6 was one of those, no line, screen of late trouble trees holes that really annoys me. Makes me want to go with the course designer, ask "what line is intended to be thrown here?" and see him do it. I'll even give him multiple chances at it, but if he tells me that I need to thread "those two" trees, and S-curve around another set, and then make it through a tree trunk screen, I'm gonna call BS on him. Maybe there is a line, or a local route, that I didnt see, oh well.
Other Thoughts: I played short tees to short pins, partly because it was a new course, and partly because my coworker that tagged along wasnt a thrower, just chucking for fun.
Another thing though, the pin on 9 is elevated with tires. This is a pet peeve of mine, but I won't put it as a con, just a note. That and I almost aced it, skipped off the top of the basket.
I plan to hit the long tees tomorrow morning, and I'll update my review accordingly.

Gotta go to work, but I'll finish this review later! Maybe throw the longs tonight if I have some free time.

Nothing but the Kitchen Sinks

1    5/25/2012   7/7/2012
Review By: bpartrid
Pros: *Nicely wooded area
*Cool atmosphere
*Lots of potential
*Couple of sink holes are cool
Cons: *Still too many trees on the actual course
*Some locals will throw upon you even while you are still on the hole
*Lots of squandered potential
*Most sink holes are small and uninteresting and some look like diarrhea toilets
Other Thoughts: The whole concept to this review is the "what could have been" course. It seems obvious that the creators of this course pretty much just cut down the trees of this wooded area to make a DGC, which can be awesome but it wasn't. Too many trees are just left on the holes to where most of the time luck is favored instead of accuracy and skill. There is even a hole where only half the tree is cut down, which sits conveniently 20 ft from the tee pad and directly in the way of the exact flight path you need to take!!!! (somebody, anybody, please just quietly cut the rest of that tree down). This course could be considered technical, but there is better out there to hone your technical part of the game. If this is the best Chattanooga offers, then I am sorry, but just make the drive to Cloudland instead for a better time. Sorry to be so judging, but what irks me most is that this course could have been much, much more. Sweet area for a DGC though.

1    6/30/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: -The Sinks has character that you don't always find on a disc golf course. There are lots of little things that give this course personality that you just have to play to see.

-Excellent course flow! You never have to pick a path and guess where the next hole is, it's either marked by a "Next Tee" sign or was a fairly obvious transition.

-There were 2 concrete Tee Pads on every hole which were plenty long enough for a good run-up.

-The Sinks requires a wide-variety of shots to score well.
-Despite being tightly wooded, the fairways are definitely there. I never walked up to a tee pad and thought, "Wow, this is a plinko hole". Every hole had at least one distinct line and if you hit it well, then you're inside the 30' circle. If your shot is off, you will be punished with a difficult approach. This course does well at taking out luck as a factor.

-This is the only course I have ever seen with a driving range that has a basket. Nice Touch!

-The course area is disc golf only. There are no walking paths or little league to contend with.

-Secluded feel.
Cons: -Despite having 2 tee pads per hole, they were usually close together and were seldom unique from one another.

-We played during the afternoon when it was 103 degrees, so there were not a whole lot of people there, but we were told that this course tends to be extremely busy when the weather is nice. Being the only 18-hole course in Chattanooga (and a good one at that) I would expect holes to be backed up a lot.

-I would be hesitant to play this course after decent rainfall because I would expect lots of put and sink holes filled with water.

-The course could use some maintenance, there were a few stumps that were just left that you could trip over. Also, the sink holes were a probably. Although, they did provide a unique challenge on some holes, there were a couple filled with water when played which is just asking for you to lose your disc in a murky hole. There were a couple that were located near pins where it seemed to be random chance if you ended up in a sink hole or on flat land.
Other Thoughts: This course was fantastic. It's not the longest course out there by any means, but is a gem as far as tight and technical courses go.

Always a fun Course

5+    6/30/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: .DLB.
Pros: •Very challenging layout with all kinds of shots welcome
•Benches at each tee pad make it really nice when having to wait for a group ahead of you
•Multiple pin placements and dual tee pads
•Driving Range and Putting Basket before first hole
•18 Holes
Cons: •Winged gorillas that snatch your discs into trees (read as, trees can be abundant on some holes)
•Sometimes (not usually) the trash cans can overflow and there will be mounds of "soda bottles and cans" around them. But that's not a serious con, just nitpicking.
Other Thoughts: I love playing at The Sinks. I don't get up there as much as most that are close to it, but I have been enough to remember what shots are required for each hole. I know that I enjoy it 10x more now that I can kind of throw versus when I first started. Great course that I always look forward to playing.

There are certainly more good things about playing here than bad. The course is well maintained and it is all done by local volunteers. I would say that the majority of holes certainly favor RHBH throws, but there are several that are anhyzer or RHFH throw friendly. I am sure that those who frequently use tomahawks or thumbers appreciate certain holes as well, I just don't throw them that often.

Given my playing level (I only play total 1-2 times a week) I consider this a challenging course, but not overly hard. There are certainly plenty of birdie opps (playing Par 3), and some holes you just have to play smart. If you really want the challenge though and are a better player, just step back a teepad and play the longer pins where there are multiples. I prefer to play short tees still, as the longer tees are just too taxing on my ability level.

There is a good reason this place always has plenty of players, you can really hone your game here.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6