Chattanooga, TN
Hole #5 Pro Tee

Too many trees!

5+    2/5/2009   2/18/2009
Review By: disccrazy
Pros: Trees provide shade in the summer. Well maintained course.
Cons: Basket placement. No wide open holes. Groups who get together to play doubles are often rude and will tee off regardless of whether or not you are done . It's almost as if they are saying, "Get out of my way, I'm playing league doubles"
Other Thoughts: Why did the designers of this course not include a few open holes? Why does every hole have to be in the thick woods?

Wow! Great Course!

1    2/15/2009   2/15/2009
Review By: mcdavis17
This review was updated on 2/17/2009
Pros: Wow -- well laid out course that makes great use of the available terrain. Course flows very well. 2 Concrete pads at every hole, and alternate pin locations marked at the hole info sign. Tee signs gave a good idea of the hole layout and gave good info for distances. Course was well-maintained -- fairways were free of debris and many had a fresh layer of chipped wood/mulch applied. OB was clearly marked on several holes with white paint (looked like what football fields are marked with). Driving range and practice basket offered warm-up opportunities. I've been to a few courses that have practice baskets, but never a driving range -- very thoughtful use of available space for this feature. Course Info board was well-stocked with notices, and the "Disc Drop" box was a nice touch as well. Being from out-of-town, that offers a convenient way to handle any lost discs that I might find. Benches were installed at most, if not all, holes. Restroom facility available in the parking lot.

A rake was left at the one hole with water hazards -- thank you -- I had to make use of it!
Cons: Some holes had multiple baskets in place, so figuring out which pin to throw at based on the marking on the tee sign pole took a minute of surveying -- not a big inconvenience, though. Also, at a couple of the holes, I could not find the arrow pointing to the next tee. Whether that meant they were not there, or if I just missed them, I don't know.
Other Thoughts: There was a sign up that the club had a workday on the day before I played, and their efforts were obvious. Many would consider this course tight, but I was able to see at least 1 clear route, sometimes 2 on every hole. The locals have decorated the course -- I thought I won a Travelocity vacation at one hole, but I didn't. Also -- I love the suspended basket -- I had to take a shot at it for fun, and I nailed it 1st try! I look forward to returning to the area to play this course again.

Updated review on Monday 2-17-09 -- I had made a quick review when I got back to the hotel Sunday AM after playing to get my 1st impressions recorded -- came back today to flesh out more details

Imaginative Course

2-4    1/11/2009   1/11/2009
This review was updated on 8/17/2009
Pros: Very imaginative course. I really enjoyed the gnome positioning! I actually laughed out loud.

Great design, even better maintenance!!!

Great tee signs, perfect explanations for hole locations.

Very tight course, really no open holes. A few specific routes are available, but you still need to execute. Awesome variety of holes. The design of the course works perfectly around certain key trees. Just about any tree they view as integral to the course has drainage tile surrounding it to protect the tree and prevent them from being damaged beyond repair ( Oh and I hit almost all of those)
Cons: Very clay soils leads to an extremely wet course in rain, however, it is obvious that over time these bad areas will get corrected by the diligent work of the guys out there. There was one man out there today working in unfavorable conditions.
Other Thoughts: I would use this course as a model for anyone wanting to install a new course. I don't mean the design of the course per say or the holes, just the way it flows, having multiple locations, getting sponsors for the signs, benches, etc!

I got my first birdie out there today (only played 7 rounds or so in my life all this past week) so I will forever have a bond to the SInks!

Two very different courses

5+    12/28/2008   12/28/2008
Review By: zensuit
Pros: Course is excellent for a control player and rewards only accurate power. My son and I play it from the front pads together and it's a very different course from there.

From the back, it can be daunting but from the front it really lets a novice learn the game without being one of those grass and more grass metro courses.
Cons: None, really.
Other Thoughts: Great place, the Grapevine should be honored for pouring so much energy into supporting disc gold in Chattanooga.

I'm a tree hitter

5+    12/19/2008   12/19/2008
Review By: Cerealman
This review was updated on 1/26/2009
Pros: Excellent diversity of holes -- some short, some long, some wide open fairways, some tight fairways, some favoring left-handed shots, some favoring right-handed shots. The assortment of holes guarantees you won't get bored with this course.

The Sinks offers a nice practice area -- for both drives and putts.
Cons: A few holes have trees in the middle of the fairway that punish accurate drives. What's the point of several huge trees in the middle of the fairway 150 feet from the tee pad? On holes like these, it's better to be lucky than good.
Other Thoughts: I've played at the Sinks several times -- other players seemed friendly and let our smaller group (of two or three) play through.

Post a lookout on Hole #12 to keep tee shots from disappearing into either of the muddy water sinkholes.

Fun Time

1    12/13/2008   12/14/2008
Review By: branden14
Pros: This was a really cool course. I really enjoyed playing around the sink holes, I was scared one of my disks were going to fall in one. I liked all the turns on the course as well, it made for a good challenge.
Cons: I wasn't sure where to go next on a few of the holes. And each hole as an A and B target marked on the map, but a lot of the holes only have one target.
Other Thoughts: This may be a dumb question, but what causes the sinks?

Hey! Let's put the basket right behind this tree!

5+    10/23/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: insane4chains
Pros: Great landscaping quaint woodsy feeling, It has become the place to see and be seen among the "better" disc golfers. Well maintained, Driving range is a perfect addition.
Cons: Basket placement on some holes was done with an almost "LETS SEE HOW RIDICULOUSLY DIFFICULT WE CAN MAKE IT" feeling in mind. The whole course is trees trees vines and more trees. No real open shots here. Would be better if there were a few open holes so one could experience the best of both worlds. The regulars at the Sinks can be quite rude and almost have an elitist GET OUTTA MY WAY demeanor to them, especially during doubles on Sunday. Too many times I have almost been decapitated by a disc from a player who has no regard or concern for others safety. The couse is loaded with 2-4 inch small stumps that cause you to trip and fall. I appreciate challenging courses but some of the holes here are just ridiculous. Need to have disc golf etiquette signs to remind the veteran and beginner players how to act. Very difficult to find the next hole unless you've played the course several times. There have also been a few car break-ins in the parking lot as evidenced by the glass found on the ground. No trashcans near the 1st hole which would have been nice.
Other Thoughts: A great place to test your skills. Needs to be more diverse. Throwing through trees gets boring after a while. At least CC has both open holes and ones that are not so open. Would be really nice if there were some trashcans on maybe 3 or 4 of the holes. It would reduce the amount of debris considerably.

2-4    3/16/2008   10/14/2008
Review By: discflinger
This review was updated on 11/4/2008
Pros: I played this course the first week it was officially opened and thought it was acceptably challenging. I liked the idea of using logs for OB and the uniqueness of the sink holes was tickling, though I sometimes wondered about my safety. I'm sure that the routes are probably more defined by now and can't wait to make a trip back.
Cons: Can't remember being displeased with anything, but it has been 2.5 years since I was there.

Bring your short game

5+    8/4/2007   9/12/2008
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 6/22/2015
Pros: Practice basket
Driving range
Multiple tees and pin placements
Cons: Questionable pin placement on some holes: baskets too close to obstacles or otherwise obstructed.
Other Thoughts: Chattanooga's first real disc golf course and its a stunner. Very tight and very technical, but still somewhat beginner friendly due to the red tee option.
Play is very quick (less than an hour per round)
Better played in winter and early spring where the lack of foliage makes it easier to find discs gone astray.

Gee, I Was Expecting The Sinkholes To Be Scarier!

1    8/19/2008   8/22/2008
Pros: I can see that a lot of work and effort has gone into this course. Two teepads and different basket placements help keep local players from getting bored. The pads were great, the course was well signed. Played it for the first time, our group was able to navigate it very easily. We played on a weekday afternoon and it wasn't crowded, maybe a dozen cars there. We thought the course was well designed, certainly a challenge, even from the short tees that we played. The long tees would be killers. The driving range is a very nice feature. Some fun, interesting terrain for a course. The roughs can be pretty unforgiving here.
Cons: I (we) were a little disappointed in these famous sinkholes. I was expecting, like 12' well shafts or something. Although, I can see how they would make things interesting after a rainstorm. It's not a course for beginners/families. We had a professional baseball umpire from the AA Southern League playing disc golf for just the second time. "The Sinks" pretty much handed him his jock.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed playing "The Sinks". I normally suck on technical wooded courses and this round was no exception. I'd love to go back and challenge it again.