Solid, accessible course.
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Great flow. You can almost lose yourself on this course. It seems to move seamlessly from hole to hole. No long walks between holes, No guessing where to go next.
- Very well maintained. My favorite thing about these park courses is that there's minimal vandalism. The course is respected by park users and players alike. older baskets still look brand new. The course is always mowed and looking pretty.
- Very easy navigation. Out-of-towners will appreciate how easy it is to find the next hole, on every hole. No need for a map.
- Ace runs! everyone loves a shot at an ace, and there's a plenty of them here.
- Baskets, 'crete pads, and signs. It's a full service course. The tee pads are well done, the baskets are Mach 3's with plenty of ching, and the signage is adequate and accurate.
- Nice location. Play a round, then go swim at the beach, then jog the exercise course, then go eat at one of the numerous eateries close by. This is a great place to bring the family.
- Competitive. This course has tournament written all over it. There's no real bottleneck holes, and a 90-degree penninsula out in the lake around hole 3-4 would make a temp-hole that even top pros would drool over.
- Loner-no-more. I think I've played this course alone maybe twice, and I frequent this course. There's always people playing it, and I've never been turned away if I want to join a group. The locals are quite friendly.
- Parking. There's a nice, big, central parking lot. I've never NOT been able to park here.
Cons: - Bathroom access. There's 1 port-a-potty. Gotta pee? Find a tree. And in a busy park, hope you don't mind being watched.
- Repetitive. 8 or 9, maybe even 10 holes are all about the same. Straight mid range shot sets up a deuce more often than not. Not a ton of variety.
- No pets. I take my dog with me a LOT. This park does not allow pets. This is always a con in my mind.
- "Pro Tees" not so pro. For the most part, the Pro tees don't add any challenge to the holes. Most of them are the same shot, just 30-40 feet longer. To me, an alternate tee should add a new dynamic to the hole, such as an obstacle or a totally different shot angle.
- You might get wet. 18 is a downhill hole where most people will throw a driver. Sail your drive 10 feet long and you will be swimming to get your disc back.
Other Thoughts: This was my first course played when I moved to the area, and my most frequently played since. It's a busy, fun course that anyone can enjoy in the middle of a very nice park. This is an ideal course for beginners, intermediate players, leagues, outings, and tournaments. It's the kind of course that you can play a quickie round or play all freaking day. This is a great "has it all" course.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Great beginner course
Pros: - Variety of shots
- Some elevation changes to play with
- A little water in play
- The water from the old style well pump is *delicious*
- Tees are in good shape
- Frequent garbage cans make for a pretty clean course
- Well maintained
Cons: - Pretty open for most holes
- More experienced players won't find it challenging
- Goose droppings are EVERYWHERE along the water. Sometimes the pro pads get a bit nasty. So watch where you step.
Other Thoughts: A great beginner course. Nice and open while they learn the game. Scenic, nice breeze blows through on hot days. Trees that you have to skip around add a bit of variety, and the long lefty hole is a great spot to work on your forehand if you are normally a RHBH player.
Great course overall, but intermediate or advanced players might get bored.
0 Helpful / 7 Not
Pros: Nice rolling hills. Water isn't much of a factor in the holes but provides a nice atmosphere. Pro tees add quite a bit of distance to most holes. Lots of trash cans and recycling bins.
Cons: Relatively short course but still plenty of fun. A little hard to navigate some of the holes.
0 of 7 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 3 Not
Short Holes, Nice Course
Pros: -Concrete Recreational and Pro tees are a nice touch.
-Good obstacles, and good overall use of trees, water and landscape at Crystal Lake Park.
-Park is well maintained and the fairway grass was nice and short when played.
-Good hole signage
-Hole 18 is a fun hole to drain your bag of drivers and try to hit an ace (I birdied it).
Cons: -Holes are a bit short, so you don't get to air out your drives a lot.
-Getting from Hole 1 to Tee 2 can be a bit challenging for first timers (same with Hole 9 to Tee 10).
-Even with Pro tees, the course was more of a beginners' course, which I guess isn't necessarily a con.
Other Thoughts: Although it's a fairly short 18 hole course, I found it overall to be fun to play (I scored par over 18).
My 8 year old son loved the course because it was very challenging for him and he could still manage a par or two over 18 holes.
I will definitely be back to play in the coming months.
3 of 6 people found this review helpful.
7 Helpful / 1 Not
Good local course
Pros: Though surrounding a lake, the water really only comes into play on a few holes. Some nice elevation shots, especially the last hole. Some trees, some tight fairways and some open grasslands. Lots of variety makes for a fun afternoon of discin'. Dual tees on all holes increases difficulty if you prefer.
Cons: pretty crowded park when we were there, and pedestrians were a problem on a few holes, but mostly the 'golfing' area is pretty well segregated from the main part of the park.
Other Thoughts: Pretty scenery, nicely maintained, clean park. A credit to the local organization in charge.
7 of 8 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 7 Not
Crystal Lake Park Review
Pros: What makes this course great is the scenery and the surroundings. It was pretty nice playing alongside the lake. Course was easy to follow and fun overall.
Cons: There isn't a whole lot of different terrain here, but still offered enough obstacles to give yourself a good challenge.
1 of 8 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.