Davidson, NC

It is what it is....

2-4    4/1/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 4/4/2011
Pros: There isnt alot much to say about pros but I will give it a shot....

*Tee markers - this course basically has the par as well as the hole # engraved in these stone blocks which are buried in the ground (See cons on teesigns).
* Tight lines - even though the course is short, it gets pretty technical on a few holes.
* Elevation - there wasnt alot of it but the college made pretty good use of what elevated land they could.
* Seclusion - I only saw 2 other guys out there when I went out there on a friday afternoon. Someone said before that this course can get crowded but I didnt see it: I guess the students just straight up get tired of playing it. (Or was it the fact it was a Friday evening?)
* Innova Baskets - Hey.... at least they aint tone-poles or cheesy homemade bamboo baskets for that matter (See cons on baskets).
* Trashcans - there are only two from what I remember (Sigh.... see cons on this one as well).
* It's SOMETHING! - ...for all those college kids that have nothing else to do but drink and spend Daddy's money at an expensive liberal arts college.
Cons: Several Cons on this one:

A MESS! - I am quite positive there has been NO course maintenance on this course since the 1st time I played it back in 2009. There are huge fallen trees and branches on every hole as well as empty beer cans and bottles from the night before frat parties I'm guessin'. The trashcans were flowing over and there was trash throughout the course: that is a definite CON in my book. Also; the undergrowth is now mostly OVERgrowth. Thorns can lurk around here as well.
*Baskets - the baskets are only single chain discatchers and I had a couple of spitouts: and I aint talkin' about the college chicks. ;-) Several have rust on them as well. I felt like I ran into the TinMan back in those woods sayin', "Oil..ME..." Oh, and some kid wrote, "Kyle - PAR" on the side of #4 basket.
* Teepads??? - What teepads? The "tee" is just a worn out spot in the mud that in some spots has gnarly roots impeding your modified "run-up". I am guessing that these worn-out mudspots are just a general consensus on where everyone throws. What do you call that: natural? I call it bunk!
*Tee-signs - There are no tee signs here which would be so helpful so that you actually know where you are throwing to instead of having to walk up 250 feet to check out the hole..... but I'm just bein' picky.
*The CAMPUS COP! - I was about to tee off on one of the holes when he came mobbin' through on his mountain bike; no doubt lookin' for some misbehavin' student stoners and those co-ed students who would likely use the woods for their little alcohol induced tryst. I have heard you can get kicked off of this course if you are not a student but he didnt say a thing and just rode right on by.
* Too $hort - And no I aint talkin' about that Bay Area Hustla: I think every hole was under 300 feet. I basically used my Star Rancho and my Pro Rhyno on this one. That's all you will need on this course. You can keep the drivers in the bag.
Other Thoughts: Like I said in the title... It is what it is. Davidson College is a fairly technical course for the most part though and you definitely dont want your disc to end up off of the fairway. It has pretty tight fairways on most holes but dont be surprised when you end up with only a par (or maybe even a bogey) on some of those short holes. Your drives have to be pretty spot-on, on most of the holes. I will admit that for how short it is, there is a little variety mixed in with it such as lefty and righty shots, as well as blind holes and up and down elevation on a few. There are plenty of other courses in the North Mecklenberg County area that blow this one out of the woods, and I would recommend passing this course up if you are only in the area for a hot minute. The closest one to this is Bailey's (Mmmmm... Creamy) which is south down the road in Cornelius. If you only have the time for one round in this area; skip Davidson College and go to Bailey Road. You will thank me later.

I think it's great that there is something there for them [students] to be introduced to DG. I mean, I dont know.... they could probably care less about the course (and it shows!) and they just want to move on to more important things: keg-stands, beer-pong and those easy freshman chicks.... Who could blame them? I wouldnt!

*NOTICE!: YOU DAVIDSON COLLEGE FOLK NEED TO STEP IT UP A NOTCH AND CLEAN UP YOUR HOME COURSE.