Davidson, NC
#7 Tee

This course needs work

2-4    6/20/2013   6/25/2013
Review By: jared18
Pros: Pretty fun the first few holes but they are short. It is a nice relaxing course you dont have to go crazy about it unless your looking for the tee box...
Cons: The basket's have graffiti all over them! It is very hard to find the concrete brick. They do not have tee box's they have roots over where it should be. It took my friend and I about 15 minutes to find the 18th hole brick we had to look at the picture many times. The pars are way to longa 250ft hole is a par 4 in there book I was driving my putter then distance of the par 4's
Other Thoughts: It was a good course it just needs to be worked on you can tell nobody goes picks up the trash and fixes the course. It was a fun course I plan on going and cleaning up the course though so it makes playing more enjoyable.

To bad it looks like crap

1    8/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Well uh hmmmmmmm.......In theory this course would be nice. The design is not too bad. Thats about it.
Cons: So many things where do I begin?

First its hard to find the teepads to start out because they are just concrete bricks in the ground so it took some searching on a few holes

While the course flows decent there are no next tee signs or directional markers until you get to hole 17 where it tells you 18 is across the road. There are a few points where you cross what seems to be a completly fenced in road and nothing tells you where to go. While I figured it out most of the time it was still annoying.

Litter is rediculas with beercans, beer bottles, and just random garbage absolutly everywhere.

The biggest issue with this course however is that it looks as if there has been absolutly no maintenance has taken place on this course. There are multiple trees over the fairways and undergrowth that has taken over. There was even a tree down on 15's tee.

Several of the teepads are nothing but roots and also have no real way of defining where they are.

Graffiti on every basket.

No benches or Garbage cans

Other Thoughts: Well I didnt expect much when I got there due to what I had been told and I was not suprised in any way. It was on my top 5 worst courses list mostly due to condition. It is interesting to me that a college that is as high class as Davidson has not taken care of this aspect of it's campus. This course is not worth your time unless you are a mega courses played junky.

Added length better

5+    5/26/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: Tenniscoach
Pros: Good range of shots. Very tight which adds challenge. Much tougher when everything is grown in. New long tee placement adds length and difficulty.
Cons: Overgrown due to lack of play. No concrete tees. Single chains. Garbage
Other Thoughts: Longer tees add difficulty and length. Check for white marker on the ground. Hopefully better markers soon

It is what it is....

2-4    4/1/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 4/4/2011
Pros: There isnt alot much to say about pros but I will give it a shot....

*Tee markers - this course basically has the par as well as the hole # engraved in these stone blocks which are buried in the ground (See cons on teesigns).
* Tight lines - even though the course is short, it gets pretty technical on a few holes.
* Elevation - there wasnt alot of it but the college made pretty good use of what elevated land they could.
* Seclusion - I only saw 2 other guys out there when I went out there on a friday afternoon. Someone said before that this course can get crowded but I didnt see it: I guess the students just straight up get tired of playing it. (Or was it the fact it was a Friday evening?)
* Innova Baskets - Hey.... at least they aint tone-poles or cheesy homemade bamboo baskets for that matter (See cons on baskets).
* Trashcans - there are only two from what I remember (Sigh.... see cons on this one as well).
* It's SOMETHING! - ...for all those college kids that have nothing else to do but drink and spend Daddy's money at an expensive liberal arts college.
Cons: Several Cons on this one:

A MESS! - I am quite positive there has been NO course maintenance on this course since the 1st time I played it back in 2009. There are huge fallen trees and branches on every hole as well as empty beer cans and bottles from the night before frat parties I'm guessin'. The trashcans were flowing over and there was trash throughout the course: that is a definite CON in my book. Also; the undergrowth is now mostly OVERgrowth. Thorns can lurk around here as well.
*Baskets - the baskets are only single chain discatchers and I had a couple of spitouts: and I aint talkin' about the college chicks. ;-) Several have rust on them as well. I felt like I ran into the TinMan back in those woods sayin', "Oil..ME..." Oh, and some kid wrote, "Kyle - PAR" on the side of #4 basket.
* Teepads??? - What teepads? The "tee" is just a worn out spot in the mud that in some spots has gnarly roots impeding your modified "run-up". I am guessing that these worn-out mudspots are just a general consensus on where everyone throws. What do you call that: natural? I call it bunk!
*Tee-signs - There are no tee signs here which would be so helpful so that you actually know where you are throwing to instead of having to walk up 250 feet to check out the hole..... but I'm just bein' picky.
*The CAMPUS COP! - I was about to tee off on one of the holes when he came mobbin' through on his mountain bike; no doubt lookin' for some misbehavin' student stoners and those co-ed students who would likely use the woods for their little alcohol induced tryst. I have heard you can get kicked off of this course if you are not a student but he didnt say a thing and just rode right on by.
* Too $hort - And no I aint talkin' about that Bay Area Hustla: I think every hole was under 300 feet. I basically used my Star Rancho and my Pro Rhyno on this one. That's all you will need on this course. You can keep the drivers in the bag.
Other Thoughts: Like I said in the title... It is what it is. Davidson College is a fairly technical course for the most part though and you definitely dont want your disc to end up off of the fairway. It has pretty tight fairways on most holes but dont be surprised when you end up with only a par (or maybe even a bogey) on some of those short holes. Your drives have to be pretty spot-on, on most of the holes. I will admit that for how short it is, there is a little variety mixed in with it such as lefty and righty shots, as well as blind holes and up and down elevation on a few. There are plenty of other courses in the North Mecklenberg County area that blow this one out of the woods, and I would recommend passing this course up if you are only in the area for a hot minute. The closest one to this is Bailey's (Mmmmm... Creamy) which is south down the road in Cornelius. If you only have the time for one round in this area; skip Davidson College and go to Bailey Road. You will thank me later.

I think it's great that there is something there for them [students] to be introduced to DG. I mean, I dont know.... they could probably care less about the course (and it shows!) and they just want to move on to more important things: keg-stands, beer-pong and those easy freshman chicks.... Who could blame them? I wouldnt!

*NOTICE!: YOU DAVIDSON COLLEGE FOLK NEED TO STEP IT UP A NOTCH AND CLEAN UP YOUR HOME COURSE.

1    7/5/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - Davidson is certainly what you would call a technical course. It's short, but there are trees aplenty to keep it (mostly) interesting. This is NOT a course where you want to end up in the woods. It has the potential to be an easy course, but it can punish you in a heartbeat if you get off the fairways.

- If you play in the summer or when school is out, you should have no problem with getting kicked off the course. It's actually kind of nice then because the course is deserted and you have it all to yourself anyway.

- I played this course after playing Brackett's Bluff, which isn't too far away. While it paled in comparison to Brackett's - and what course wouldn't? - it was nice to have a couple of courses nearby to play in that area. I would actually recommend playing this course first and then playing Brackett's. If you do that, it should be a good warmup course.
Cons: - My biggest beef with the course was the lack of defined tee boxes. It wasn't that there were no concrete pads - there weren't even adequate dirt areas to throw from. On many holes, you couldn't tell where the tee actually was. You could see on numerous holes multiple worn-in areas where players teed off. I suspect that folks probably just tee off wherever is most convenient within a 5-10 foot radius of the tee marker, and that obviously allows for a lot of variables.

- Along those same lines, the tee markers were confusing because they often didn't even point in the direction of the basket. That's understandable on some holes because of doglegs and such, but others didn't even make any sense because they were straight-line holes from tee to basket and the marker was still pointed at an odd angle.

- Holes 1 and 18 are what they are - they are basically baskets in the middle of the fraternity lawn. Those holes are probably great for the frats or for students that just want to throw the disc around between classes, but it's not good for anyone actually trying to play the entire course when school is in (student or otherwise). Plus, the walk from #1 to #2 is long enough that I'm not sure playing #1 is worthwhile anyway. It almost makes more sense to just play 2-17 and call it a day.

- The course was not in great shape when I played it. There were downed trees throughout and the brush got a little out of hand on some holes. I get the feeling it isn't maintained as well as most public courses, but that is to be expected.
Other Thoughts: - The main thing you have to realize with this course is that it is a college course, obviously designed and intended for the casual player. A casual disc golfer probably doesn't care about the accuracy of the tee box or course design or some of the other qualms that serious players would have. So, keep that in mind when playing this course.

- Again, I have to imagine that this is a great course for the casual Davidson College student. It must be nice to be able to roll out of bed and throw a few discs and/or practice some putting in the front lawn. For their sake, I can appreciate this course.

5+    6/11/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/2/2010
Pros: Challenging, mostly wooded course. It's all about accuracy here. Throwing a driver could do more harm than good.
- Plenty of birdie chances, as long as you keep it in the fairway.
- Higher amount of LHBH holes than most courses. Good change of pace for an often ignored/disliked throw for most players.
- Great scene having it on a college campus. Nice wooded scenery, yet walking distance from campus. It's a great small town, complete with all of the college atmosphere.
- Other than #1 & 18, the rest of the course is isolated from the rest of the campus. It's great being so close to the campus, yet not being disturbed by students.
- Course starts and stops at the same spot. It takes you on a long loop, but it does finish up right where it started. #10 is on the far back of that loop, so no way of just getting in a quick 9 without a long walk.
Cons: - Course needs a lot of the underbrush trimmed back or cleared away. The underbrush was growing over on some paths. On some holes, it's extremely thick, narrowing the fairways. It will grab discs, leaving margin for error.
- Poor signage/direction between some holes. As mentioned #1 & 18 are in the grassy area between the frat houses, across the street from the rest of the course. There's not a true path from #9 to #10. After finishing #9, you're walking along the road, until you finally see an opening in the woods again for #10. Several other holes like this as well.
- Tee areas are only marked by small tee signs in ground. On several holes, these markers were mostly covered by dirt, making them hard to find. Also, without true tee pads, or tee areas, you can take liberties with interpreting where the tee pad actually is. See the photo for #6 to get a sense of how teeing off 10 feet to the left of the tee sign gives you a straighter/easier shot than if you teed off right on top of the marker.
- Too many straight, unimaginative holes. #9 was the quintessential example of this.
- Hole #8 runs alongside town's main road. Any shot that sails too far left may find itself in the road. Throw with extreme caution on the hole.
Other Thoughts: I had marked down this course back in '09 because overall maintance was severely lacking. Playing there again in the summer of '10, most of those problem have been fixed, leading me to improve my rating by a 1/2 point.
- Course didn't have anything really good, or memorable, that stood out about it. Even though there was a decent variety of holes, they all felt the same - throw a mid-range disc in the fairway, maybe have a birdie chance, if not, an easy up and down for par. I just felt the course was missing a true, signature hole; something that would stand out and leave DGers coming back for more.
- My favorite hole was #16. 240 foot shot with 2 paths- a shorter, direct line or longer path that allows your disc to curve back close to the hole. Very good risk/reward hole. Depending on how bad you need a birdie, or how confident you're feeling, probably will determine which path you choose.
It's a college course, obviously not meant for the serious players. I enjoyed the course. It teases you in that if it weren't a private, college course, some of the holes could be lengthened making them truly special.
- I've only played when school wasn't in (summer or spring break), so I've never had a problem with parking and/or anyone questioning me about playing. The best place to park is out of the way of students where you're less likely to be questioned. Before getting to the frat houses (they'll be on your right), there's a small parking lot on the left (it's almost straight ahead because the road curves) that has a bunch of 18-wheeler trailers parked in it. If you park there, you're next to #2, so you can avoid students altogether if you don't play #1 or #18.
- When school is in, there are probably times when you'll have to avoid #1 & 18 because of students being in the grass. You're actually not missing a whole lot on those holes, so you can be fairly confident in giving yourself 3s on them.
- The course is worth checking out to give your mid-range game a good workout. It reminded me of a shorter version of the wooded holes at Sugaw or a flatter version of Reedy.

5+    5/27/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: honeycu4
Pros: Decent layout and much accuracy needed. Many ace runs. All holes driveable off tee except 18.
Cons: Short course with some very out of place holes for filler to complete 18 holes.
Other Thoughts: Cool that Davidson College (beautiful campus) has an on-campus course but it is private to students only. I've heard campus security will ask you to leave but I've never had any problems.

B+ = Interesting and addicting

5+    4/20/2009   4/20/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: kinda fun, a lil approach and putt. beginners course. chance for some aces
Cons: students only, you do get told to leave by security, and its not that challengeing with no concrete tees.
Other Thoughts: dont waste your time. kinda pointless.

Short

1    4/25/2008   1/13/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
This review was updated on 1/14/2009
Pros: Enjoyable technical (though short) course. Very well manicured fairways go thru and around the woods of Davidsons Campus. There is only one hole that will require a distance drive, but the other 17 make up for it by demanding good accurate throws. There is no hole on the course that cant be deuced but several could humble you with taking a bogey on a 250' hole.
Cons: Could use better teesigns and arrows pointing toward next hole. Also, as listed on this site I hear its currently student only.
Other Thoughts: At the time I went I wasnt aware that it was students only, however I wasn't questioned or asked to leave while playing it. I would reccommend playing this course, though I would suggest checking with Davidson or playing with the knowledge that you may be asked to leave.