Donnellson, IA
Denning Conservation Area Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #8 (Taken 2/2010)
3 / 158ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Conversation area + DG Course don't mix

1    6/24/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Secluded country park, located a couple miles down a gravel road off the highway. Very nice playground, open shelter house with picnic tables. Large barn (not sure what is inside), basketball hoop on paving. Porta-potty on site.

Course map on sign next to barn (I took a cell pic for reference if needed later) Nice tee signs with good information (layout and distance). Tee pads were a good size with a good surface texture on them.

Good pin placement throughout course. Several blind pins, sometimes around corners, sometimes behind shrubs and or trees.

Course ends where you started, no excess walking. Course flow isn't too bad, I didn't have any issues finding next tee.
Cons: I know the area has had some rain lately, but there were quite a few areas of standing water. Fairways were too narrow (this is not a skill based comment either, see thoughts below), and lined with prairie grass in most cases. Area is flat, no elevation to speak of. Tree over the tee on 7, was actually into throwing area, it was like throwing out from the rough.

Baskets in the most part were off the ground, but a few of them were leaning. #1 tee sign was missing the sign (post was there) and the course sign - map was laying on the ground, either broken or rotted.

Though probably not needed, I didn't see any trashcans or benches throughout course, but most of that can wait till you finish your round.

"Bridge" to 8 was missing.
Other Thoughts: A couple of holes that I liked. Hole 1 does really pull you in. It's a 294' slight left to right, pin is tucked just past a grouping of bushes and a tree. Hole 2 has a couple of trees that you have to throw between about 30' from the tee, but you want your disc to finish again to the right.

When doing reviews, I don't take skill into account, if the course is too hard for my skill level and I post a high score, it isn't the courses fault, however:
No fun factor here at all other than hole 1 and 2. Everything past that the fairways were so tight and the prairie grass along them was too tall. I had a bad throw on 2 (an open hole) that was my fault and I lost a disc, not the courses fault. As I was looking for the disc, one of my daughters said "wow dad, that grass is taller than you", for reference, I'm 6'5". 8 was completely unplayable, though I managed by throwing out towards another fairway, playing up that one then coming back in.

With that said, I don't see this course being beginner friendly, especially those with only a few discs. I don't feel that the course does Eleanor Denning any justice for donating her land. On the other side, I do understand that the course is a donated conservation area and probably can't cut any more of the grass or food plots down, but with the amount of area available, the two don't work together very well. I wanted to lean towards a half of a disc, but since this is a conservation area and donated land, I'll give a full disc. I most likely will not be making a trip back to this course.

Think twice!

1    6/22/2010   1/23/2011
Review By: DGman
Pros: Nice tee pads and signs. Never busy. Great location.
Cons: Narrow fairways, very tall rough, bugs from he!! Very easy to lose a disc. Baskets in odd positions (ground level?).
Other Thoughts: This was probably the most miserable disc golf experience I have ever had. First off, it was a very hot, humid day with temps in the high 90's and we showed up to play in early afternoon as we were in route to a graduation party. Hole one was the bait, you think "wow, cool course out here in the middle of nowhere" then the fairways narrow down to a channel cut between prairie grasses as tall as my wife. Tree limbs seem to reach out and swat your disc in mid flight sending it as far into the rough as it can go. The horse flies and mosquitoes were so bad I had to tie a t-shirt around my head to try and ward them off. We spent far more time looking for discs and swatting at flies than actually throwing discs. I have never walked off a course, but came very close here, thank God it's only nine holes! If you come to play bring bug spray, a weed whacker, Prozac, anti itch cream for the prairie grass and plenty of expendable discs.