Devens, MA
Devens - The Hill Share
Uploaded By: optidiscic Hole #1
Hole #1 Basket to Tee (tee to the left in the field)

A true Sloppydisc favorite!!

1    8/17/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: A true technical wooded course with great elevation. It's not just a round, it's a workout. The whole course plays in a hilly wooded area, and makes great use of everything.

There are down hill shots through the woods and uphill shots through the woods. I'm talking steep uphill and downhill. Fun, fun, fun.

Signs at tee pads are very good. Not only do they show you the hole layout, they tell you how far downhill or uphill you must throw.

Navigation was easy. No map needed. Everything flowed and made sense. Even to me.

Lots of shot shaping and gap hitting. It's a wooded technical course. You need to be accurate.

A very secluded feel to the course. It almost had the feel of a secluded mountain course. But you're very close to everything. Kinda cool.
Cons: Natural and rubber tee pads. Concrete is always better in my book.

No wide open, long holes for those that like to throw their drivers and watch them fly. You could play a round without a driver at Devens very easily.
Other Thoughts: This is instantly one of my favorites. Don't let the walk to #1 or the look of that first hole fool you. This is a great course. If this was up in the mountains somewhere everybody would rave about the elevation and technical lines. The design and fun factor here are top notch. Big hills, trees and boulders. Beautiful land and disc golf. I usually put a star by any hole in my notes that stands out and my final tally here was 9 stars. That's pretty high on the Sloppydisc scale. My 4.5 disc rating is probably a little high compared to how a lot of people rate courses, but since this is a subjective review anyway I think it more than earns the 4.5. I played Hyzer Creek in NY and this has a very similar feel, but with more elevation. It's not only a great course, it's a great workout.

While there are not real long distance holes here, the elevation and steepness make many of the uphill holes play longer than their stated distances. You don't get to watch discs fly 600' here, but you do need to be able to throw well to score well.

Being a born and raised New Yorker, I hate all things Boston, but this course has me rethinking that view. I'll definitely be back at Devens any chance I get.

Wooded Refuge

2-4    7/26/2011   8/12/2011
Review By: Evilhippy
Pros: Good mix of terrain with some exceptional downhill shots, not too long but not too short either.
Cons: Trees, Trees, and more Trees, don't get me wrong I like trees as much as the next guy but there are a few too many on this course IMHO.
Other Thoughts: Owner of Killer Bee runs the course, really nice guy. Bring bug spray and good shoes are a must.

Great workout, great course!

1    4/10/2011   4/10/2011
Review By: Everett Evans
This review was updated on 4/13/2011
Pros: Wow, what a course! I had read about the terrain on DGCR and thought I would be prepared, but it can be really brutal in places. Parts of the back nine, when you are already tired, almost make you think the designers were as interested in wiping you out as they were in creating a great course (seriously? another #%@&ing stairway???). All in all, one of the best I have played in New England.

It is extreme disc golf, very focused on uphill and downhill shots, with only a few holes with less than 10' of elevation either way. Even #3, with technically 15' of elevation down, is a workout because the hole actually plays 50' down and 35' back up.

Many, many memorable holes, fun holes, extremely fair fairways, good opportunities for deuces and bogies, and I suppose a few 5s and 6s if you really get stuck.

The signage is perfect, showing you the line, elevation and distance at each tee and guiding you from one hole to the next tee, without overkill or ugly spraypainted arrows everywhere. I think most if not all of the baskets had high orange flags to mark their position, which came in very handy on a few.

Very little trash, just a few pieces of bottle glass here and there where some jerk must have thought throwing a bottle was a really cool thing to do, and might get him women.

All of the teepads were fine, some were awesome, some were just OK, but none were a trip hazard, and the couple that were OK I threw forehand and didn't need a run up anyway.

Speaking of forehand, I threw about 75/25 BH/FH, which I was not prepared for. I usually rely on anhyzer RHBHs to do the trick on left-right holes, but the fairways and tree placement on most of the left-right holes at Devens ruled out a sweeping anhyzer. Much better shot was a low, straight RHFH which faded right at the end. Seeing as I don't throw a lot of those, it was a little refreshing.

Elevation, elevation, elevation!!!! 30', 50' 70'!, 90'!!?!?!?! of elevation on holes under 400'?? And on some holes under 300'?????? Just awesome and a lot of fun.

Portable toilets down at the parking area.

This course is about 70 minutes from me, but I will definitely be back. Well done!!!
Cons: Only three cons I can think of, all relatively minor:

1) Hole 9 finishes in the middle of the woods, so if you have to break for lunch (like I did), you have to walk quite a ways to get back to the car, then back to 10 to finish up. Not much of a con if you plan on playing 18 holes.

2) Due to the awesome and rugged terrain, your discs may take a beating, which may change your disc selection. There were a few times where I brought out a trusty favorite disc, thought about it, then put it back in and picked another with a slightly different shot in mind, because I didn't want to risk gouging a favorite disc. I often throw an SE Leopard, but never threw it once, although I had opportunities. So, if you are concerned about bashing your favorite Roc on one of the 17 million rocks on the course, leave it home. DX plastic will SUFFER!!

3) Some of the stairs and paths were in rough shape and, in a couple cases, were more dangerous than just clamboring down the hillsides. One stairway in particular (the really steep one on the back 9, #16 I think) had various missing chunks and exposed rebar supports and took some careful navigating to make it down. Honestly, that hole was worth it though.

Other Thoughts: Bring water, really, really good solid shoes or hiking boots, and take your time. Don't throw your favorite 15 year old DX whatever unless you're looking to replace it.

There were a few missing amenities that you might find at higher-end or private courses (snack bar, tee brooms, bag hangers, etc), but I don't factor them in as Cons, just missing Pros.

Killer Hill

5+    11/21/2010   11/23/2010
Review By: N8malibu
Pros: I love the fact that I can get my heart rate up clamoring up to the second hole. The layout was well planned to put the hill to it's best use. I like the fact that it's a technical course and there aren't any real bomb shots to be had.
Cons: Not a great course for the beginner, some tight tree littered shots. To far from me to play on a regular basis :(
Other Thoughts: New Killer B pro shop located behind hole 12 has a fine selection of discs, bags and other necessities for the golf nut. Friendly and helpful staff, check 'em out!

pretty neato

1    10/11/2010   10/15/2010
Review By: smalcome
Pros: -excellent signs- not only were they easy to read and in great shape, but they had distance and elevation noted
-elevation changes- it made the course pretty unique, there's one hole that is like throwing your disc off a five story building, and that made disc choice pretty tough
-nice terrain
-quality baskets in good shape
Cons: -very wooded, it is still fun, but if you start playing pinball off the trees, it is easy to get frustrated
-not much fun when its wet, as slipping along a rocky wooded path can be dangerous
Other Thoughts: i had a lot of fun playing this course. it is too far away from me to play regularly- so i think this fact makes it better. it would be a very challenging "home course," which would make you 'better' but also might cause people to not stick with it if they are a beginner- i suppose it's all how you look at it. i'll definitely play it again- it's well maintained, though that's because of the locals who pick up and carry out trash from other a-holes who leave it there. there are no baskets, so you need to carry out your garbage. and avoid glass bottles as i saw a few broken ones that weren't going to be picked up anytime soon- a great use of land. it'd be sweet to build an 'open' course on some of the flat land near by with some open distance shots of 400 feet or so... maybe even a 9 hole-er to play with this one.

loved it

1    9/25/2010   9/25/2010
Review By: eastcoastf
Pros: what a great course.. well laid out and mapped.

very challenging and fun holes to play...i had a blast..wished i lived a little closer.

this is what i wish more courses were like.
Cons:
nothing bad to say about it.

but bring a drink..it's a workout
Other Thoughts: park at the soccer field parking lot and cross the street where the american flag on the fences is..first hole on the left.

1    9/20/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: kanekasey9
Pros: This course is very challanging. If you don't like hills and alot of trees ( all woods ) it is not for you. Loved the challange of this course.The course is very well marked and very well layed out.I think hole 16 is the most challanging. It is marked that it goes down 90 feet, and they mean it. The walk down is a little ruff but they have steps and a rope to hold on to.
Cons: The course is behind a school and on hole 18 a class was out there, could not finish my shot, and they picked up my husbands disc and gave it to him. Other then that I liked the course.
Other Thoughts: Veyr easy to get to and will go back again.

Devens Heavens

1    7/21/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: FrankieDG
Pros: Well marked, well laid out, challenging course. Crazy dog legs around big boulders. Intense long tees. Great variation from hole to hole.
Cons: Only cons I can think of is the distance the course is from NJ and it was a little difficult to find. If it was closer I'd play it often.
Other Thoughts: Please respect your fellow golfers and not litter the course. Thanks!

Where the 17th Tee?

1    6/15/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: Jeffro Skull
Pros: Short overall distance 1.6 miles makes for fast play, if uncrowded. Lots of trees and elevation, but well played drives leave plenty of birdie opportunities.
Cons: mosquitoes
Other Thoughts: If you are visiting the Boston area, make sure to add this to your wish list.
If you use your GPS (Garmin, specificly) to locate, use the city of 'Ayer' instead of 'Devens'

Love this course!

2-4    4/1/2010   4/7/2010
Review By: spinderella
Pros: One of the best laid out courses out there! Big elevation changes, challenging shots, and beautiful scenery!
Cons: No negatives on this course, unless you count the toll it takes on your legs!
Other Thoughts: This course is an hour plus travel time for me, but well worth the drive, by far one of my favorites! Wear good hiking shoes and bring a water!