Devens, MA
Devens - The Hill Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 5/2015)

1 2 3 4 5 Next >

1    6/1/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: gwillim
The first thing that struck me when I started playing this course was how well the designer(s) incorporated the natural landscape with the DG Course. It seems often that course designers will try to fight the landscape and things don't always mesh well. I would put Deven's Hill probably in the top 3 of best "meshed" courses I have ever played! After playing the round, I don't know that I could have improved much of anything in terms of design.

- Baskets in excellent shape
- Excellent signage along the course
- Fantastic terrain!
- Challenge! If you're tired of easy multiple under par types of courses, Deven's is a breath of fresh air.
- Very well thought out course design
- Wonderful tee signs that incorporate elevation gain/loss (very helpful on a mountain course)
- Very clean, hardly any trash
- Along with the signage leading you around the course, the designers placed the teepads far enough out of harms way, without leaving you any crazy walkouts, which is quite difficult given the terrain.
- Looking at the courses website, they seem to have a strong local contingent maintaining the course regularly.
- There is a huge multi-sport field at the parking lot to warm up your arm at.
- Porta-John at the parking lot to do your business at (and the cleanest porta-john I've ever used!)
It is kind of hard for me to come up any real "Cons". There were surely some out there, but from an overall standpoint, they just don't seem too important.

-Teepads: The teepads are all natural dirt. They didn't bother me too much as there aren't too many shots where a full power run-up is justified. However, some of the teepads had roots popping out of them in bad places, some had boulder tips, etc. I think the course could benefit from elevated teepads with maybe rubber flypad style pads on top, similiar to some of the holes at Maple Hill. Hole 18 especially could use some help. The front half of the pad had a big root AND a large boulder tip sticking out.

-The course could be a bit dangerous if you're not careful while you traverse down some of the hills. I would suggest that ppl don't play the course and drink too much, it might lead to a serious accident trying to get down some of the declines.

-I can't remember trash cans on the course, but I also don't remember any trash lying around?! Maybe the ppl of Deven's have figured out the "pack in, pack out" rule better than the DG community as a whole?

-I didn't see any water fountains near the course. It'd be a good idea to bring a snack and some water with you during the round.

- Deven's is not a good place for golfers that who are not in good physical shape. I wouldn't suggest it for anyone suffering from a heart condition either.

-Also, I can see A LOT of ppl having a problem with how difficult the course is. That is legitimate, I suppose. To those ppl, I would suggest that they refrain from playing Deven's, and go play one of the other 95% of courses that are, frankly, too simple.
This is the kind of course where they need to send a professional photographer out there to get shots of the holes, including tee shots and greens. I think that proper, professional fotos would do way more justice than someone just writing about the course.

I've played nearly a hundred courses around the nation, and Deven's just made my top 10 list after only one round. That's pretty good considering I have a serious distaste for natural teepads.

Normally, I won't vote any course with natural teepads above a 4, but with how well this course was designed, and how much I enjoyed just about everything about it, I'm rating it 4.5.

like a hike through the forest

2-4    5/30/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: GrandCactus
Pros: This course has two distinguishing characteristics: its heavily forrested and it is located on a hill. As such, it favors control over distance, and requires an understanding of throwing with the changes in topography. Additionally, the forest and protruding rocks are beautiful and the course is nicely isolated.
Cons: Not the easiest to find, elevation is a bit much for a casual stroll--expect to be scrambling up and down the hill a lot.
Other Thoughts: This is a really fun course that challenges you to practice different shots. Most of the holes have decent lines requiring controlled shots, but a few are just an adventure in tree avoidance. While I can't say that tossing uphill is my favorite throw, this course rewards you with several long, downhill shots, where the disc glides forever as it esses itsway through the trees.

What a hike

1    3/6/2009   4/13/2009
Review By: shamroc333
Pros: It is a accuracy course. Distance is not needed. It will calenge you every time you play it.
Cons: It is a hike. You know it is a hard course when there are holes you need to hold a rope to get from tee to basket. Just so you tumble. I didn't like the deversity of the holes they where all up or down. Nothing open and unbelievable amonts of obsticles.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course. Won't play it every day but it was an experience.

What a course

2-4    10/17/2008   11/7/2008
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Beautiful woods, especially in the fall. Great elevation changes forces some fun shots. Had to use a lot of hammers on this one.
Cons: Tough to find, although that also keeps it from being too busy. Could use better signage, but we found our way all right. A lot of holes aren't visible from the tee, so you're guessing a bit the first time you go.
Other Thoughts: Really fun course to play. A lot of shots will result in shouts of joy or shouts of frustration, separated by inches. I love when people think to put a course in a place like this. Can't wait to get back.

Devens is a gem

1    10/7/2008   10/9/2008
Review By: whitewaterhelix
Pros: Great layout with huge boulders to work around, up and down on a big hill, scenery is great, very challenging, great workout, some steep, long mult-tiered downhill drives
Cons: Lots of trees, very challenging for beginners, not easy to find, a few 'fairways' aren't really fairways, did I mention trees? Could use more signage, especially at the entrance or parking area.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course that will challenge anyone. Not super long, but it makes up for it with technicality and some short uphills that play much much longer. It is unique and rewarding to play, despite the fact that you will most certainly dink plenty of trees and I agree with another reviewer that some of the shots are just a matter of luck to miss the trees (unless you're pro, then maybe not). Props to the folks who built this course, well done.

"The Hill"

1    8/25/2008   8/26/2008
Review By: Crazyguy
Pros: Hilly terrain tests skills - Easy to find stray discs - Nice Hike involved - Trails to next hole well marked - Good place to work on tight fairways and aim- Fun to play even for me a beginner
Cons: -Tee tocation not crystal clear - No open fields here - Course is pretty hidden could be hard to find for people outside the area(my brother works in Devens and didn't even know it was there and he had to drive by a couple times just to find it)
-Free to play
Other Thoughts: Thank you for the course to use

7/27/2008   7/28/2008
Review By: Markgs22
Pros: Intense elevation changes, awesome variety of looks, and some of the funner tee shots you'll ever take. One of the few courses where I've literally had to use every shot I know and then try a few new ones all in the same round. Is very challenging, but at the same time, has some ace-able holes and opportunities for great shots. 18 holes of this is a full meal.
Cons: No tee maps, course location could be more well marked.
Other Thoughts: Outstanding course. Have played it 3 times. Have played 10 or so courses in New England, this is easily in the top 3. Tests strength and accuracy. If you like downhill shots, some narrow lanes, having to use many different styles of shot and an overall challenge, this is a great course.

Devens Disc Golf

4/22/2008   4/23/2008
Review By: Hovey1127
Pros: Challenging course, thoughtfully laid out to work your different shots. Not far from Rte 2.
Cons: Up and down the steep hill. A bit too tight in some places. A couple holes are on the line of needing too much luck to be successful instead of just skill.
Other Thoughts: I have grown to like this course more the more I play it. I would have a hard time doing two round in a day because it is such a workout.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >