Bettendorf, IA
Devil's Glen Share

Fun shorter course

1    10/7/2013   10/7/2013
Review By: lddake
Pros: I really like the layout of this course. It has a wide variety of different types of shots for it being a slightly shorter course. Amateur friendly also, the pars aren't ridiculously unobtainable.
Cons: My only real complaint about this course is that while a lot of the holes have signs for them, a lot of them don't. They were rather artistically done, and I suspect that is why they have fallen victim to vandals and thieves. Because of this, sometimes the next tee can be a chore to find.
Other Thoughts: I rated this a 3, but I would have given it a solid 4 if I wouldn't have struggled so much finding some of the tees. Maybe sometime they will add a course layout map?

5+    10/9/2010   5/9/2011
Review By: rhettro
Pros: Very fun and sometimes frustrating course. There is a great mix of hazards including a little bit of water and a lot of woods. The tee signs (not all were present) are the coolest i have ever seen, probably led to the getting stolen. It is also nicely secluded and few of the holes interfere with one another.
Cons: In the summer there is a lot of prickly weeds that go uncut, you must wear pants after june. Really muddy after rain. A lot of hills.
Other Thoughts: First course I ever played, right after it was built. Since then it has undergone a major overhaul for the better.

Chipmunks From a Misty Planet

1    3/10/2011   4/13/2011
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: A nice city park boasting a nice disc golf course featuring elevation and mostly wooded holes.

Amenities. Shelters, Bathrooms, Walking trails and plenty of parking.

Variety. Decent variety of holes with many tight technical lines requiring accuracy and a decent number of left to right and right to left lines, good elevation changes, water comes into play on a couple holes, and there are a few mostly open holes.

Relatively Clean. A bit rough around the edges in areas, but it felt mostly clean and well maintained with sporadic garbage cans and clear tee pads and fairways.

Local Scene. Local tournaments and leagues available, all of the locals I met were friendly and helpful.

Tees. All of the tees were either rubber or concrete (I believe in transition to all concrete), they were level and performed as expected.

Signage. Though a couple of signs were missing or broken and the rough map wasn't entirely helpful, I'll still leave this in the pro section as they were some of the coolest looking signs that I've seen. They included Hole number, par, distance, and the rough map.

Navigation. In a couple spots I had to take a moment to make sure I was going in the correct direction, but I was never frustrated finding my way around.

Scenery. For being in a city park it felt relatively isolated in a nice wooded "natural" feeling area.

Access. In the city, not far off the freeway it is not difficult to get to this course in the mecca of DG that is the Quad Cities area.

Replayability. This is another course that was challenging and enjoyable enough that I feel a draw to go back and face the challenge again.
Cons: Beginner Friendly. Overall I'd say this is a great place for more advanced players to work on tight lines and elevation shots. Someone new to the sport may get frustrated with these shots.

Other Users. Mostly it seemed to be primarily a Disc Golf area, but I had to wait for several pedestrians on the paths that wind through the park. Fisherman may also become a problem.

Map/Scorecard. Print one out beforehand if you want one along, I couldn't find one available on site.
Other Thoughts: In the Quad Cities disc golf mecca this is an average course, I'd make it a point to play several of the other higher rated courses in the area before this one, but if you have the time, this course is definitely an enjoyable round.

Devily

1    7/19/2010   9/14/2010
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Multiuse park, picnicking, walking path, ball field, fishing, shelters. Maintained well in the open holes and down by the creek. Elevation here surprised me; I wasn't familiar with the area and after pulling in was surprised by the actual size of the park. Multiple pins. Really creative signs, wish all courses had something similar. Several different hole types; open, wooded, water. Some of the more open holes still had enough trees to make it difficult. Some of the wooded holes started out in the open then led into the woods, some others stayed in the woods, and a couple you tee'd up in the woods and threw out. Nice variation there. Wooded holes had VERY tight fairways. A couple of nice holes along the creek which adds to the pucker factor.
Cons: Not a fan of the rubber mats for tee's, though it looks like they are preparing for concrete. A few of the pads were tore up and had holes and divots under them you couldn't see unless you stepped in it, nothing to cause injury, but could make you throw badly if not aware and stepped into one. Only 12 holes, which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it. I don't mind an occasional 9 holer, so this really didn't bother me. Not all holes had the locators on the tee signs locating which pin was active. Some of the wooded holes needed cleaned up a bit, just need a little love and "cleaning" of brush and downed limbs. I felt there was a hole or two that were fillers, yeah the ace or deuce chance was nice, but it felt out of place, 10 comes to mind. Navigation was a little difficult the first time playing. I played a few holes twice because I threw the wrong direction; I thought hole 5 was up the hill, not off to the right. May not be an issue next time though, but walking that steep hill twice = not fun.
Other Thoughts: Lots of OB, not sure how I feel about that, though it does make you think harder about shot placement. I really enjoyed hole 2, I ended up throwing a line drive thumber, and parked just outside putting distance of the pin. Water holes along the creek, take it or leave it. Let's just say on # 4 I am lucky we hadn't had any rains lately :-) I liked hole 11, as a RHBH dominate thrower, it forced me to use an anny, which actually worked for me here. A fun course I would be willing to hit again, but since it is so close to Middle, I'd probably play that one instead, unless I was in a hurry and only had time for 12 holes. You could bring the family along and let them do other stuff in the park, but probably not a park I would bring a new player to introduce them to the game, I'd stick to Eastern for that.

Devilish Design

1    8/29/2010   9/14/2010
Pros: 1) Practice basket is available at the south end of the parking lot.

2) Nicely done signs wirh Distance, Hole #, Par and a general layout. This layout on the sign though could be more detailed. Apparently there are colored washers to indicate hole placement. I never saw them so they were either there and I am an idiot, ot there had been removed or vandalized. I am leaving this as a positive because a local told me they were there.

3) 3 pins on most holes if not all. I really enjoy a course that can be played many different ways, I didnt see the supposed washer indicating basket placement, but they were supossedly there. Sometimes I would just throw up what I thought was the middle and if I executed well, I may be totally off angle.

4) Nice concrete tees are appreciated at this course with the slopes on many of the teeing areas. Rubber tees must have recently been replaced. Some were visible but concrete on every hole was in!

5) I really like the view of the cutaway rock along the creek on holes #3 and 4. That is an awesome geologic formation from massive glaciers or floods in the past. SO what I AM A NERD!

6) Shot shaping is essential here because there are all sorts of shots needed. You need to work the disc both directions so if you are a sidearm and forehand thrower you are in better shape than I was. I had to anhyzer a lot of shots that brought a lot of risk into play (like the creek on #3). I never was in the creek but I came darn close to going into the water once. The hyzer route on #4 is the obvious choise but if you play the skip off the road you might overshoot the basket too and end up in the water. None of this is a negative you just need to plan correctly.

7) The holes in the woods are awesome especially #6, #7, and #8. #9 is a shorter tighter shot and I like it too, but the epicness of 6, 7, and 8 are the key to this course!

8) There is an awesome amount of variety here with tighter wooded holes, shot shaping goes all directions, the open holes still have some obstacles to avoid, and there is even some good elevation change here.

9) Elevation change is used well here as seems to be the purpose of all Quad Cities courses. There are some that go up some that go down and some that go along the slopes. What a great design to bring into play all of the elevation changes on this property. It isn't even a tough walk though which is kindof nice.
Cons: 1) Baskets definitely need some sort of bright paint. They are so hard to see when shooting from the grassy open area into the darker tight woods. Fairways aren't defined enough to find the basket easily especially with multiple placements. The practice basket could also confuse people on #12 so it should be different from the rest, perhaps painted a different color.

2) Routing seems ok, but there is no sign near the parking lot so you better have a map or you won't find #1.

3) Sign is missing on #2 which really would be helpful since it is a blind basket from the tee.

4) The concrete tees are a little slick. I like a little more grip on the teepad so my footing is a little more sure.

5) # plates are not always facing the teepads which is an issue for me when they are there for a reason. It isn't that hard to install at the correct angle.

6) Walkpath comes into play on multiple occassions. There isn't much way to avoid this from happening here unless they rerouted the holes slightly.

7) More defined fairways needed in the woods. It is simply to hard to tell where the hole goes. I suppose this is also partly because of multiple basket locations, but the three fairways should be more defined. There also seems to be a fair amount of deadwood and undergrowth making the fairway definition difficult.

8) #5 was annoying because you cannot see the hole. It looks like the basket could easily be over by #6 tee which I assumed is where it was, threw straight and it ended up being about 100 yards to the right. That was bothersome.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course but not knowing where the pins was made me dislike my round. It doesn't make me dislike the course but the multiple pins makes it stronger. It simply was tough my first time through. This course has all sorts of variety, elevation change, tighter wooded holes, open holes with obstacles, water in play on 2 holes. It has just about everything I look for in a well rounded course. There simply were too many negatives for this course to be considered awesome. I think that some improvements could make this course better but it might be limited to a 4 disc course even if the improvements are made. Right now in its current state I think it is a 3.

Fun and tough

1    4/10/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a multi-use park with lots of nice elevation changes that are used well on many holes to add some challenge and interest with some nice downhill shots and some tough uphill holes. Some of the park plays through mature trees with grassy fairways, some plays through denser woods with thick underbrush, and a couple holes play along the river for some nice risky shots out over the water.

There is pretty good variety here with some shorter ace run holes and some with some pretty good distance, especially with multiple pin placements that often change the hole quite a bit. The holes force a decent variety of left and right turning shots throughout the course, and it felt pretty balanced for a righty or a lefty.

The signs that were still there were great with hole layout and distance, with a marker for the current pin position. The baskets were in good shape and caught well.
Cons: The course felt neglected. The wooded holes had brush fallen on the fairways, and definitely needed some clearing and cleaning up. Many of the signs were broken or missing.

The tees were temporary rubber ones just laid on the ground, so many were not level or smooth. It looked like preparations were in place for concrete tees, that will make a big difference, but at the time the wooden forms were in the way of many tees. The navigation was a little bit tricky in spots, especially without signs to see from a distance on many holes.
Other Thoughts: This is another nice little course in the quad cities area that's worth a stop if you're in the area, but don't go out of your way for this one especially instead of one of the many better courses in the area. It's a little tough for beginners, especially the rough holes in the woods. More experienced players will find some good challenges here, and some nice risk-reward holes by the river.

Awesome 12 Holer!

2-4    4/2/2010   4/2/2010
Review By: xsjunkie
Pros: -Great picnic area with shelter and grills
-Great Smallmouth fishing if you're into that. I watched a guy land a decent fish while playing #3
-This course offers some of everything, ob, tight fairways, woods, hills, water, and some fairly open shots
-Great signage
-Every hole has 3 possible pin placements
-Pin placements are color coded and there's a washer hanging on the post by the tee pad telling you which placement is being used
-soon will have concrete tee pads
Cons: -worn rubber tee pads (forms are in place and it looks like tee pads will soon be concrete)
-there is quite a bit of fallen timber in the woods portion and some brush piles. Could be cleaned up a little bit
-Some signs are missing
-An errant shot could hit a pedestrian, aim carefully
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. I wondered if it would ever be expanded, but not sure there's room. My favorite holes are #2, #3, #4 and #10. Something about a good hyzer, the water, the scenery and a tight wooded fairway that make those stand out. Come play the Duck Creek courses, it makes for a great day. Besides, even if you have a bad golf day, that's better than a good day at work!

shot placement essential

1    8/23/2009   9/21/2009
Review By: tallpaul
This review was updated on 4/13/2011
Pros: As already mentioned tee signs are awesome; especially the washer to let one know what pin placement is in (all courses need to incorporate this eventually).
All 12 shots require different style throws; and offer variety of delight to the eye.
I happen to like o.b. play. This course forces one to think sincerely about where your shot will land and even what the disc will do after it hits the ground.
Combined with Middle and Eastern; gives you the full effect of Duck Creek. The two water holes here may be the best of all offered by the three courses. The view on the one with the rock wall is simply amazing.
Cons: I honestly didn't find many. There are some slight grounds keeping issues; and you will have to scout for the next tee a bit; but, not that difficult to find. Tees are rubber mats and not in perfect shape.
Other Thoughts: Long pins make a difference here. In the longs, this course seems to me, to be an earn your deuce kind of course for blue level players.
We came here after Eastern, which is a rip it and chuck it course, from longs; nearly all holes over 400 feet. Devil's was a welcome relief from Eastern. Holes are long enough that you must earn your reward; but you don't have to throw it as hard as you can, shot after shot. Very rare that I would give a 12 hole course a 3. We played course twice; and I reiterate that I found this one most enjoyable and thought the Duck Creek holes may be the best two of all offered for the three courses using this waterway.
I nearly gave this a 3.5; unheard of for a 12 hole course with only one course on site (for me). But, I liked it a lot.

dastardly

1    8/20/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: first off, the signage is badass. the graphic for each one has a devil coming out of a chainstar holding some discs, and his earrings say "Q" and "C" for quad cities. fukken sweet. holes are layed out nicely, a few against the bank of duck creek, a few going through some woods. elevation definitely comes into play as with any of the QC courses.
Cons: only twelve holes. holes along the river are dangerous; if your disc hits the drink, it's done for. no fishing it out. R.I.P. Star Boss. so that's 14 bucks i have to spend again. some of the signs were ripped down, which was a shame. course guide signs would have been nice; i had some trouble finding some tees, but in the end it made sense where they were.
Other Thoughts: hard to give this one more than 2.5. I dunno; the other courses in the area are just better. there's nothing really wrong with Devil's Glen. it is a tough course, and i played well on it, but it didn't grab me like Middle Park or Eastern Avenue. I met some locals out there and we played the round together. Zach, Nick, and Eric: this Keystone Light is for you!

A hair short of being a good course

2-4    7/4/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: hognosesucker
Pros: Lots of pros here
-park has good amenities i.e. shelters w/elec., good bathrooms, drinking fountains, ample parking for the little bit of traffic the course receives.

-three pin placements per hole really diversify the types of shots thrown...shorts are pretty easy, some of the longs are crazy hard. Pin placements are all layed out on the excellent sweet signs and the current pin location is marked with a washer on the sign post...really cool setup.

-good use of elevation and natural settings- hole 2 is a short downhill, 3 and 4 play along duck creek to the players left, watch out rightys :), 5 starts at the bottom of the hill and plays over the crest and down, 6 and 8 play down and up a ravine 7,9,10 are tight woods shots, 11,12 are placement shots, so to say this course is relatively flat is not correct. It has good elevation changes.
Cons: A LOT of O.B. 1,2,3,4,11 and 12 all have it. I don't mind O.B. but on some of the holes the difference between a good shot and an OB shot is several feet. Also on 2,3, and 4 the bike path that runs along the creek is in play so BE CAREFUL, especially on 3, and 4 where you have OB creek on the left and OB bike path on the right. Errant shots can be dangerous for pedestrians.

-Tee pads are rubber flypads. When threy are wet they are dangerous. Many of them are torn up or uneven and very short. They need to be replaced and reset.

-The layout in the woods can get a little hairy...lots of nettles and I don't think the stuff is usually kept short even in the fairways, although some of it was when I was there for a tourney. I have no problem with nasty vegetation in the rough , it is disc golf after all, but not in the fairways.

-Layout can be hard to follow in some places. No arrows between baskets and tees. 2-3, 4-5, 5-69-10 could all be a problem, but I just looked for the cool signs the first time I played the course
Other Thoughts: Really nice 12 hole park, one of three dg courses along the same creek (see Middle Park and Eastern Ave.) I would say this falls into the middle of the QCA DG courses there are quite a few better courses and quite a few worse courses. But if you have time after playing the signature courses (West Lake, Camden 1 & 2, Middle) and you are in Bettendorf it'd be worth your while. Just be prepared to be frustrated by discs in the creek and nettles irritating your skin.
I feel like this course could deserve a better rating because it is challenging, especially in the longs, but the cons outweighed the pros for me at least, it could easily be rated a 3.0 though for some people.