Billings, MT

Very memorable

2-4    10/6/2007   7/6/2009
Review By: Moffwicket
This review was updated on 8/4/2009
Pros: Breathtaking scenery. I would have a good time climbing and hiking all over this place even if I wasn't playing dg. Very challenging overall. Very unique basket placement. Easy to spot baskets due to the bright yellow tops. I love how some tee "pads" are just the edge of a cliff.
Cons: Very poor signage. Even with a map I printed out before I got there, we couldn't really find our way around. First day we played the first nine. Last day we managed to find all but one hole on one of the back nines. Needs signs on tee boxes and directions to the next hole. Very easy to lose a disc here. Lots of bushes and brush to lose them in.
Other Thoughts: I will never forget this course. Where I live in MN, there are dozens of great courses, but none are anywhere as unique as Diamond X. It's almost ridiculous when you play the first time. Seems impossible to keep going up, and then you're at the top throwing off the edge of cliffs. Safety be damned, but that's what makes this park so awesome. Don't even think of playing this course if you're not in shape, because you need to rock climb your way to your discs and to the next hole. I played in early October, so it was too cold for rattlesnakes and I didn't need tons of water.

A couple things I'll never forget:
One the hole with the basket bolted to the side of the cliff, I landed directly under the basket. below the cliff. It was crazy-windy that day, so I measured the wind and tossed my disc standing on edge straight up. The wind caught it like a sail, and slammed it "chink" right in.
Then on one of the holes traveling to the left along the top of the bluffs, my friend threw a terrible hyzer shot when he didn't mean to. The second he let it go I knew we'd never see it again. It sailed up and way left on its own, then the crazy wind grabbed it and sent it way, way , waaaay off the cliff to the left and continuing to turn left all the time. When it finally landed, it was about 200 ft below us, 200 ft to the left of the cliff wall, and 400 ft BEHIND us. We looked for half and hour but never found it. I did find two other discs I gave to him, so you know other people have done the same thing.

I would gladly give this course a 5-star rating if it had signs with maps at each tee and something to point to the next hole near the baskets.

I was wandering, thirsty, lost, and amazed

1    7/23/2003   12/31/2008
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 12/18/2009
Pros: Scenic Vistas. Wonderful views from above on the cliffs looking down on the valley below, cool looking up at those Wile E. Coyote cliffs from below, and gazing out across the endless Montana plains/desert from the high plateau above. Unparalleled elevation changes. Often throwing straight up as if mountain climbing and then dropping straight down as if repelling. Throwing across the cliffs with true danger for errant throws. Diabolical but beautiful basket locations; tucked behind huge boulders, perched on cliffs, bolted to tops of boulders and mountainsides. Never have I seen/played anything like it. Disc golf park mostly. An access trail intersects the course but is barely traveled, does not interupt play and those who use it are familiar with disc golf. The chance to throw off a real mountain to a wide open desert below. Home of the 726 foot ace! There are no man made structures to impede the wide open throwing experience. No power lines, poles, ski lifts, wires, highways, water towers, pipelines, etc that usually accomodate such wide open elevated terrain back east. Woodsy Easterners know what I am talking about.
Cons: I played in July. It was hot and dry. There is no water. No water to play over, no water to drink, no water period. I ran out of water 9 holes in. Do not underestimate the effect this can have on your enjoyment factor. Running out of water was my fault. Being Lost most of the day was not. The course is poorly marked and with 2 back nines rather than a 27 hole loop it is very confusing to a first timer. Since there is only low scrub brush and it is everywhere there are no defineable fairways to give you a hint. I more or less scanned the horizon for a basket then aimlessly walked around and stumbled upon a teepad and guessed perhaps they went together. I was wrong a few times. I know I did not play the course properly. Oh well. The hard rocky surface induces shots to skip and beats up your discs and body. With the open sky I would have enjoyed some huge bomber type holes other than the dream off the cliff throw. Not real technical outside of the difficult approaches.
Other Thoughts: Despite all of my previous whining, I played on. I was inspired by the dramatic scenery and the almost comical extremeness of this course. I was deliriously dehydrated and laughing to myself......"theres a basket up there bolted to that cliff..hahahaha".....Whoever dreamed and dared to create this course, Thank You! Many of the holes would never be built where I come from. They would say it was too ridiculous or too hazardous. Not here, it seems anything goes and I loved it. I can't forgive/forget about the frustration about being lost. That kind of gnawed at me all day and spoiled my fun. This should be no reason to not play this course. If your in Eastern Montana, bring a map, lots of water, plenty of premium discs, your sense of adventure and be prepared to leave with a skyful of memories!

Best Course Ever

2-4    10/6/2008   10/6/2008
Review By: erichyde
This review was updated on 12/2/2008
Pros: As far as scenary and extremely unique holes, you will never find a better course. This course has the coolest terrain I have ever seen on a disc golf course. Went two summers ago and I can still remember every hole vividly. Multiple cliff shots, the tee pad at hole 18 is on top a 250 ft cliff and the hole is over 700 feet away, it takes 10 minutes just to walk down to get your disc!!!

note: there are to back nines, they share the same #18 basket. front 9 works up to the top and the two back nines play on top the cliffs and then down.
Cons: Hard to find holes, I lucked out and found a local who came with us.
Other Thoughts: I love courses with unique terrains, if you can find one more extreme then this I would love to see it but I doubt there are any out there. Be prepared for some intense hiking.

Oh, I wish I had a guide...

7/15/2008   7/19/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: This course is spectacular, as far as scenery, location, and some of the tees and holes, and I imagine it would have been better if I could have figured out the whole thing.
Cons: There is a large map near the course start, but it has been vandalized, and is nearly completely unreadable. Small course maps would have been great, or at least the stickers on the baskets pointing you toward the next tee would have been helpful. I wish the tee boxes were marked with numbers also.
Other Thoughts: Of all the courses I have played, ever, this is the course I would most like to play again. I would love to play with a local, so that I could actually play the whole course. I could only find the first 10 holes, and then 18. The main page says there are 27, but since 18 is back near where the course starts, I have a feeling that is all there is, though I don't know. This is definitely a course for the dedicated. Although the first 3 or 4 holes play around the hillside, the fifth through 10th are brutal in the climbs necessary to play them. I actually lost 2 discs , one on the 8th and one on the 9th. The one on the 8th was brutal. It is a hole playing along the side of hill, and I actually thought my tee shot had ace potential. I flew over the whole by about 10 feet and the disc wedged in between some rocks. I climbed above it and could actually see it, but without 10 foot arms, or a fishing pole, I just couldn't get it out. I lost another disc on the next hole. This is definitely a course where a spotter could be helpful. I was playing by myself in the early morning, on a weekday, while on vacation, so I, unfortunately, didn't have a chance to hook up with some locals to play the entire course, but I am already trying to figure out a way to get back here and do just that.
Of all the courses I have played, giving this one a rating was the toughest for me. I have put this course into my favorites, and yet, it was so frustrating to try to figure out, that I ended up balancing the two factors and giving it a 3.5, but hopefully with some maps, and a few markings, on my return, I would be able to upgrade it to a higher score.

1 2 3 Next >