Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 230ft.   4 / 370ft.   3 / 330ft.   4 / 520ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #10 Basket to Tee (White Layout)

A good course

1    6/13/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: GrandCactus
Pros: I liked this course because it challenged me to throw long, and with both hands. A real pet-peeve of mine is the tendency of some courses to favor RHBT (the basket is somewhere off to the left or the fairway curves); Maple hill has a pretty even mix, which was quite enjoyable.

Some of the holes were just plain fun. There really is no comprable feeling to throwing over a lake(8) or bombing it down over a christmas tree forest (11).

As a pay to play, it was great having the entire course to ourselves. Occasionally we could hear other groups whooping, but mostly it was conducive to a pleasant walk through the woods. While it may not appeal to others, I thoroughly enjoyed looking into the ponds and watching the frogs, tadpole, fish, and newts swimming around. We also ran into a turtle, booking it across the 13 fairway, which was odd, because we weren't really near any water.

Excellent signage.
Cons: Not many birdie opportunities. This course was really designed with distance in mind, so if you can't throw very far (or spent the last 6 months locked in your office finishing your master's thesis, as your muscles slowly atrophied and your skin turned a ghastly shade of white from lack of sunlight), its going to be a long day. Of course, that's also a Pro, but the occasional birdie feels good (I got 1).

While I'm sure others will disagree, I didn't find the course to be particularly well-cared for. I realize there was icestorm damage in december, but no one hole was taken care of the way some public courses are when they get adopted. Sure, there were piles of logs and sticks everywhere, and someone was running the woodchipper near 2, but some of the paths and fairways were pretty well overgrown, and the whole "lets throw some 2x6's in the mud some people can walk through" is good as a stopgap measure, but looks pretty ugly when you find it on almost every hole, and there isn't actually any mud (just dirty lumber).

Amenities: maybe I missed it, but water and a bathroom are on my expectations for a course, especially if I'm paying. The empty water coolers in the entrance barn(garage?) crushed my soul in desolation after promising the sweet elixer of life for a dehydrated and exhauster golfer.
Other Thoughts: Finding discs in even rows of christmas trees is not exactly fun, since they all have thick low branches that you can't see around (duh). I would also love to fish some of these ponds.

not sure what the fuss is about

1    5/16/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: invidious
This review was updated on 9/12/2012
Pros: Nice scenery, 3 difficulties to chose from, mix of long and short holes, a technically challenging course. Several very memorable shots which is something that I really appreciate.
Cons: Several holes are basically in the woods with no fairway.
Other Thoughts: I drove 2.5 hours to play here with the expectation it would be a world class course and I was a little let down. The overly wooded holes I mentioned above soured what would have otherwise been a good overall experience. I would give it another chance except it is so far away.

B+ = Be too long for me to fully enjoy

1    12/19/2006   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B+