Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #18 (Taken 6/2013)
4 / 455ft.   4 / 455ft.   4 / 605ft.   4 / 605ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 White/Red Tee Sign

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Versatility and beauty

5+    11/1/2013   1/15/2014
Review By: jtreadwell
Pros: - Huge variety! Distance bombs, tight, technical woods shots, water carries, and everything else in between. You won't be bored or miss out on throwing your favorite shots.
- 4 distinct layouts to challenge every skill level. Even those who dislike throwing over water have at least one layout to cater to their tastes.
- Meticulously maintained. The course is kept in wonderful condition, and there are obvious efforts put in to keeping it not only functional, but also aesthetically appealing.
- Signage is fantastic and highly descriptive. In addition, there are few if any areas where navigation is an issue.
- Amenities are plentiful, with a full pro shop on site (to replace all that waterlogged plastic) and Marshall St. Disc Golf Shop (and another decent course) less than a mile down the road.
Cons: -While there's a lost and found log kept, don't expect much in the way of returned plastic. Between my buddy and I we've lost 8 discs there, and the only one I ever got a call back on was found in Connecticut...
- Personally I found hole 18 to be a bit of a letdown and a gimmicky way to end the course. To each their own however.
Other Thoughts: The pinnacle of Disc Golf in New England. I held off on reviewing Maple Hill until I had a chance to play all 4 layouts, and I'm glad I did. Don't think that just because you're an open level player that you won't enjoy the easier layouts. Every setup has a unique perspective and challenge. From the Gold layout designed to humble all but the best, to the red layout set up to avoid all the water hazards, each has something to offer. The $10 fee (high for disc golf) feels like a steal when you consider the amount of effort and thought that has gone into designing and maintaining the course. While personal preferences may keep some from loving EVERY hole, the course is so varied that there's no way to not enjoy it as a whole, even for the pickiest discers around. There are likely better courses out there, but with 31 courses in 6 states under my belt I have yet to find one myself, and until that day comes, this will hold my sole 5 disc review. Truly a course on which to model others after and one that has fully earned its current top ten placement on DGCR.

Best Course in the Area

5+    9/19/2013   9/19/2013
Review By: Riords
This review was updated on 9/20/2013
Pros: Straight up beautiful views. Best of the best. Four course lay out for all different levels. Water, distance, shorties, midrange shots. Pro shop with drinks, snacks, and all disc stuff. Super friendly staff, and over feel there. Plenty of baskets for practice putting.
Cons: none really.
Other Thoughts: plenty of awesome courses in central massachusetts...but this is the must play in the area.

#1 in My Book

1    5/14/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Countchunkula
Pros: Maple Hill has it all; for all skill levels. Using 2 tees and 2 baskets per hole, along with excellent signage; Maple Hill has 4 different, skill level appropriate, layouts (red, white, blue, and gold) overlaid upon one another. Even though there are 4 layouts, it is always clear where to go, and which basket to play to, due to the color-coded flags on both the tee signs and the baskets. I played the white layout, but scouted many of the other tees, as we somehow were one of only a handful of groups on the course on a beautiful day in May. This course had everything that I look for: Variety in terrain and shot type; elevation change; adequately sized, level tees with good footing; excellent signage; multi-throw holes; water carries; "Appalachian beauty;" challenging, technical greens; and bonus points (as if they were needed) for the proshop onsite. This is a great, wooded course that forces you to hit lines, and punishes you when you miss them. The shots are fair, but challenging for the intended skill level. The water carries are age appropriate (red has none, white is playable for someone who drives 260, and so on.)
Cons: There really isn't anything that this course is lacking. While I prefer concrete tees to the rubber mats used at Maple Hill; I did not have any issues with the tees when I played.
Other Thoughts: This is my #1 course out of 101 played and counting. I will be revaluating my previous course rankings to adjust for what I feel is the closest to disc golf perfection that I have seen. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Maple Hill and need to invent an excuse to return.

Pay to Play -$10/person/day - I'm don't really consider this a pro or a con. I unfortunately only had time for one round, but was fully satisfied with the money spent.

I can still remember almost all of my drives, more than three months later. Don't miss this course.

White course with mild wind.

1    8/5/2013   8/5/2013
Review By: PulsarExistence
Pros: The course has multiple tee and basket positions with
Easy to identify flags. Very challenging but has excellent variety in terrain.
Cons: Costs 10 dollars to play all day but no format to pay per round. So water hazards are difficult to avoid, but the red tees look like they avoided most of it.
Other Thoughts: Best course ive played. Good pro shop.

Everything You Could Ask For

5+    6/28/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: AaronMonier18
Pros: This really is the Pebble Beach of disc golf courses. There is something for everyone and it's without a doubt a destination course. A day at Maple Hill can really be anything you want it to be. If you want to crush drives all day it can accommodate you. If your game is technical it's got you covered. Nothing replicates high stakes disc golf like throwing a beloved disc over a pond. However, if you miss there is a good chance you'll get it back. Dave, Steve, and co. are CONSTANTLY out working on the course. I personally really enjoy the White course. It's most similar to what I understand was the old "Elements" course. It shaves off some distance and time to the round but it's less frustrating for Ams and I prefer the layout on most holes. It's easier to play 3-4 rounds on Whites than the bigger courses. I have also heard from other disc golfers it's "the worst course at Maple Hill". To each his own. I've played Blues and it was apparent I need to work on distance. The teepads/signs/trashcans/amenities are well documented to be pristine. The property is beautiful and it makes the most of the water, tree farm, woods. It blows my mind everytime that this place is literally 10 minutes outside of Worcester. I have nothing against the Pyramids but I often wonder why anybody would play there when this facility is literally a minutes drive down the road.
Cons: I hate snakes.
Other Thoughts: I honestly never really enjoyed/understood why this place was so great until I played the White tees. It's important to put aside any ego and play a course that's appropriate for your level. Being +8 is no fun. Throwing a perfect drive only to have to execute another perfect drive was minimal fun for me. I have been playing disc golf for 2+ years on the tight wooded courses of New Hampshire. Maple Hill is a great opportunity to grow as a player/challenge yourself/have fun.

Should be on every player's list

1    6/22/2013   6/24/2013
Review By: Jmano33
Pros: 1) The Pro Shop - as you walk in, the pro shop is fully stacked with discs from Innova, Discraft, Vibram, and many more! The gentleman running the counter was very pleasant to work with, as he took 10-15 minutes to show us which discs would be good for each member in our group, taking into account our throwing styles

2) Prices - $10 to play for the day is AWESOME. If you want to play two rounds, expect to be there around 6-7 hours depending on your skill level. On top of that, the Pro Shop discs are priced better then any shop I have ever been in, and on top of that the gentleman inside will actually help you find discs (unlike someone at Dicks Sporting goods).

3) The course - When we first got there, the gentleman in the shop said "This is the Pebble Beach of Disc Golf". All I can say he was spot on! This is hands down the best course I have ever had the pleasure to play. It wasn't packed to the point where we waited forever on any holes, there was zero trash on the course, it was mowed, weed whacked, signed perfectly and laid out to the point where it didn't take much to find your pin location. The course was amazingly beautiful, the scenery was amazing, and the course wasn't full of weeds so we could actually play.

4) The divers - The course brings in diver periodically to clean the ponds and retrieve discs. This is great because I lost 3 discs total in the water (oh well). My only thing I can say is that when you have a hole with water, use a DX disc or some other crap disc you don't mind losing...
Cons: Only con I had is that some holes had wrong map on the tee post... but on those, you could see the pin you were going for, so in no way is it enough for me to lower the score..
Other Thoughts: If you live within 150 miles I would buckle up, pack lunch and drinks and come out here for the day!! Definitely bring water and maybe some music with you and get ready for an experience like no other.

Also, on the 14th tee, the sponsor is the local pizza shop. If you call in an order on the 14th tee, they guarantee delivery to the pro shop by the time you finish your round!! So call ahead and save yourself the 20 minutes!

An absolute must play

2-4    5/18/2013   5/19/2013
Review By: the_ox
Pros: -4 different layouts in 1 location
-Pro shop onsite with a great selection of discs
-Incredible variety of shots and different looks from the tee pads
-Excellent use of land with no connector holes. Every hole has a purpose
-Signage is very good, Next tees are marked well
-Great scenery and views abound
Cons: -Hole 8 Blue teepad should be lengthened
-Hole 8 Red teepad should be leveled

Thats it!
Other Thoughts: Played as part of a 4 day disc golf road trip to Massachusetts. We liked it so much we canceled our plans to play other courses so we could play the Golds the next day.

After playing 3 of the 4 layouts (Red, Blue, Gold) I have to add Maple Hill to my top 3 courses, to be joined with Hawk Hollow and Renny Gold.

Believe the hype when people talk about this course and make sure to plan a trip to visit if you're serious about the sport.

Finally, Dave is awesome and makes the entire experience even better!

Great course at any ability

2-4    10/21/2012   4/21/2013
Review By: Xnrbl
Pros: Great upkeep, friendly and helpful staff (and patrons), great signage, superb course layout, high level of visual interest to courses, reasonable pro-shop prices, excellent disc-return system and ethic among users.
Cons: Hole 18 impact hazard for milling throngs near practice tees and pro shop.
Other Thoughts: Spend a whole day there, it's worth it.

1    2/16/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: JC AceHole
Pros: Excellent course. 4 different layouts with several tees and baskets on numberous holes. The plus with this is a high level top pro and a true novice could both find a layout here that they could play and enjoy. This makes it a fun place for everyone and gives the course much variety as alot of these looks are completly different.

Water water water. When playing the upper level tee/pins, you better have a cannon. There are some holes where you have to throw a long ways to clear the ponds. The views from these water holes are amazing. There is a good mix of elevation, wooded and open holes with holes that west test every shot in your bag. Be prepared.

Club house on site with discs and such but I'd recommend going across the road to Marshall street as that place is outstanding. Very well kept course and home to the Vibram open.
Cons: Closed during the Christmas season to sell trees. Can't really fault them for closing then to make more money but I prefer courses that are open all year.
Other Thoughts: This course is worthy of being #1 on DGCR. It's in my personal top 3 and on some days if you ask me I would say its my favorite. It just has such variety and shots that make you say wow when you get up to the tee. I think most course designers would hope for this reaction and maple hill accomplishes this over and over again.

As Good as it Looks on Video

1    10/10/2012   11/27/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- All that I Hoped it Would Be. I have seen enough video of the Vibram Open to have been set up for a huge disappointment… however, Maple Hill was all that I hoped it would be. All the memorable holes from the videos (1, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18) lived up to expectation.
- 4 Options. With each hole having two tee-pads (sometimes more) and two pins, Maple Hill had 4 options for play: red, white, blue and gold. Every tee-pad and pin had two color-coded flags designating the tee/pin for that hole. The system of flags - in combination with the tee-signs - worked really well, and I never had any trouble identifying what was what.
- Championship Level. Maple Hill has it all when it comes to "what a championship level course is supposed to be": long, extremely demanding golf with opportunities for punishment, multiple water holes, several other OB features, numerous Par 4's, and fantastic amenities.
- Pro-Shop. There was a huge pro-shop stocked with nearly everything you could probably ever want. They had a great selection of plastic from all the brands (Innova, Discraft, Lat64, MVP, Gateway, Legacy, DiscMania, etc…), and had bags, straps, towels and anything else DG related. They also had snacks and drinks for sale.
- Pyramids is Down the Street. It's nice to be able to bag two courses in a new state and not have to drive very far to do it. Pyramids DGC is just down the street (apparently the cousin to the owner of Maple Hill). It's a fun course and worth bagging since you're going to be so close to it anyway.
Cons:
- Par 61. My only complaint about Maple Hill was the seemingly low Par as compared to other "championship level" courses I've played and love: Harmon Hills, Idlewild, Iron Hill, Nevin, Renny Gold, Fly Boy and all 3 at the IDGC. I would have loved to have seen three or four more Par 4's, and a few Par 5's out there.
- I was the First Person to Play the New Hole 16. As I was playing the course, I could hear some chainsaw work going on. When I finished Hole 15, I was unable to find the tee-pad of 16. I walked up to the person with the chainsaw (Dave) and asked where the Gold tee-pad was… he told me they had to remove the tee-pad and redesign the Hole… which was a bummer because the hole had a fairly demanding water crossing off the tee. However, he also told me that he had just finished cutting the new fairway and I would be the first person to play the new Hole - Bonus! I went back and played the old hole too… crushed both drives and had birdie looks at both.
- Overall… With all the hype I've heard, and all the video I've seen, I could have easily been disappointed in Maple Hill… but I wasn't. Maple Hill was definitely worth the hype of being one of the best courses in the country. When you combine an amazing piece of private property, with championship level golf, famous holes that live up to the hype, multiple water holes, massive bombers over Christmas trees, old rock wall OB features, a complete package of amenities, beautiful scenery, and more… you get a disc golf destination like no other. Any serious disc golf course bagger would be foolish to be anywhere within 200 miles of this course and not go out of their way to bag it.
My Score: a very proud 63 from the Golds