Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #18 (Taken 6/2013)
4 / 455ft.   4 / 455ft.   4 / 605ft.   4 / 605ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Basket to Tee (White/Red Layouts)

best i've played

1    7/3/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: jayman33
Pros: - description: best course i've ever played! beautifully kept property. moderately hilly and lightly wooded with stone walls around the course. incredible variety in holes and also has 4 different configurations/courses. played the white course, which was a blast. also had a great tour guide, solomon.trenton
- tees and signs: great rubber tee pads with excellent signs. each basket has a high, easy to spot colored flag that matches the name of the course (we played to the white flags)
- variety: long and short holes, holes over a pond/lake, holes in woods, open, uphill, downhill, right and left. you'll need every shot you have and definitely need to shape them as well. also, there are 4 very different configurations intended to provide 4 layouts.
- basket locations: on the side of hills, by water, on the edge of a wall. great placements.
- favorite holes: hole 1 is 355 wide-open downhill over a pond with the basket only a few feet from the edge of the water. hole 4 goes 300 feet very steeply downhill through the woods with a narrow fairway and the lake/pond in the background. hole 11 is a let-it-rip hole, 670 feet over the tops of small Christmas trees with the basket on the side of a hill/wall.
- difficulty: moderate for the white course. red is easier than white, blue is higher, gold the toughest. love this set-up.
- store: awesome store. discs, shirts, souvenirs. very cool to browse after your round. workers were very nice.
Cons: - ticks. no one in our group got any, but we all sprayed up really good.
- besides that, nothing. disc golf heaven.
Other Thoughts: - with water, bring a floater or play the red course to stay dry.
- private pay was well worth it. we drove from rochester, ny and played 6 courses in 2 days along the way. really wish we had played two rounds here instead of heading off to the next course. my favorite ever!
- if this course was in my town, i'd definitely be a member. felt very professional. this course is the gold standard.
- this course would be ideal to get non-disc golfers a chance to play and get hooked!

1    8/13/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: MrHighlandPark
Pros: Stunning property, with numerous ponds, streams, hills, and varied wooded areas. Great tee pads and baskets. Clear signage. Tremendous variety and re-playability with four layouts, as well as variety within each individual layout. The guys at the pro shop were friendly, and let me know about upcoming events, as well as other courses in the area that I should try.
Cons: I honestly don't see any. This is a wonderful course.
Other Thoughts: I held off on trying Maple Hill for a long time because of its reputation for eating discs. However, the new red "beginner" layout removed that excuse, and I'm really glad it convinced me to test the course out. The red course isn't easy to the point of pandering to beginners - it's actually just a normal course with a difficulty level akin to Tully Lake or Barre Damn.

For $5 you can play multiple rounds and make a day of it. That's an unbeatable value, and surprisingly even cheaper than nearby Pyramids.

Thanks for the feedback!

5+    7/18/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: StevenDodge
Pros: We have completed our signifcant redesigns of the courses, thanks for the feedback. We utilize DGCourseReview.com as a way to see what people like and don't like and try to enhance the positives and correct the negatives.

Red course - it is now truly beginner freindly. I just played it this morning and was inside 50 feet for birdie on every hole (I'm a 960-970 rated player). There are no shots over water, the walk is much shorter, and we are excited to be able to host beginners and families that want to play Maple Hill but used to be afraid of it.

White course - no changes that I can think of. The first hole is over the pond (you need a 300' drive to clear it). If you can manage hole 1, you'll be fine and have a fun challenge ahead of you.

Blue course - this used to be a quasi-tweener course. We redesigned several holes and this is now a truly challenging and different course. Tom and I are not sold on hole 9, but Dave loves the risky shot down the road, so we'll keep it for now. Other than that, we are all very proud of the Maple Hill Blues. Regarding the "tweener" holes mentioned below (10, 17 and maybe 16), 10 needs about 400 feet of distance to reach. Every course needs to reward big arms at least once. 17 has a very fast green and a dog leg. IMO, there is much more challenge to it than a boring up and down for 3. 16 is quite reachable but requires a well timed end of flight fade to get a look at the putt. It is a nice (and picturesque) challenge.

Gold course - we made a few holes harder, more scenic, and potentially signature. I can't wait to see the top pros give it a try at the Vibram (Labor Day weekend, 2011). Watch it live at maplehillopen.com.

Ticks - we released 10 quail on the hole 11/13 hill (aka, the Cutler Place). Hopefully they will fill their bellies with ticks.

Upkeep - we are doing a much better job at keeping the grass shorter and the course prettier thanks in large part to Dave Jackson who is working full time on the course and in the pro shop. This also helps to keep the ticks down as they like tall grass.

Water - If you don't like water, play the Reds. If you want a challenge, the water will test you mentally. Two other notes - we've got loaner discs if you want to chuck one of our discs over the water instead of your own and we hire divers to retrieve discs and we will give you a call if and when we find them.

So, thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming. We will continue to improve the course. Stop by and give the new configurations at Maple Hill a try, and keep posting your reviews here.
Cons: I picked up five or six cigarette butts during my round this morning. We should get more trash cans on the course.

Variety abounds!

1    7/2/2011   7/4/2011
Review By: dugmar
Pros: Fantastic layout, great variety of shots from Red, Blue, White and Gold tees. Beautiful views with some challenging water crossing shots. I love water-crossings. Cool little nooks and crannies to walk though, neat access paths. Very detailed, color hole diagrams. Great pro-shop with a nice selection of discs, bags, food and beverages. Finally, this course is stroller friendly. I pushed my 1 year old around the course with a large-wheeled stroller with no problems - and was encouraged to do so by the staff.
Cons: Not many except for... ticks. I hate ticks. Not much you can do about them though.
Other Thoughts: The staff in the pro-shop is super friendly and more than willing to help with questions about the course or disc selection. $1.00 for a giant jug of Poland Spring water, very cool! You can be a hero or a zero on hole 18 as the basket is right between to the pro shop and the parking lot, basically where everyone gathers before or after a round.

State of the Art

2-4    6/20/2011   6/21/2011
Review By: vslaugh
This review was updated on 8/20/2012
Pros: Outstanding disc golf shots on a championship caliber course with unique gold/blue/white/red layouts. The Christmas tree farm setting actually gives a good disc golf equivalent for rough, as you must hit fairways on the open holes or face shots challenged by small trees. OB defined by ponds and rock walls make for many dramatic shots. Well defined fairways give a nice frame to the wooded holes with good shots generally having good results and bad shots landing in trouble.

In addition to great aesthetics and course maintenance, the goal seemed to be to tailor the course's difficulty to gold (1020), blue (980), white (940), and red (?) level players. I wholeheartedly applaud this goal. To execute this, each hole has multiple baskets and multiple tees--both marked by the colored flags, which look great! This must have been difficult to plan and much work to accomplish, but the layouts were fun to play and very easy to follow. The different tee/baskets combination also mean that playing the blues vs. the whites, for example, give very different looks at the course.

In the week after I played and lost a disc to one of the ponds, someone from the course took the time to call me and offer to return the disc when it somehow turned up.
Cons: Just nitpicking...with as much effort as what went into unique gold/blue/white/red tees/baskets, I played a few of the holes and sort of scratched my head at if they were really properly calibrated to get a good scoring distribution. For the blue tees, there seemed to be a few 350-400' slight uphill holes that the longest arms might occasionally get a 2 but everyone else will almost always take a 3 (I'm thinking of 10, 17, and maybe 16 and one or two on the front nine). It's frustrating to stand at a Par 3 designed for your skill level and not be able to find a shot in your bag to reach the basket, or even the circle. But a sign was posted that layouts are being tweaked currently, so we'll see how things work out.
Other Thoughts: Prepare for a long grueling round and for a couple risky water shots, not necessarily because of the length but because of trees guarding the near or far bank. Play the course appropriate for your skill level, and note they're a little more difficult than PDGA standard ratings for each color.

Navigation was very easy, especially with the flags and next tee markers. Wildlife was abundant and diverse (we ran across three types of snakes: garter, black, and water).

Now that I look at other reviews, I think this course is underrated. It will probably be miserable if you're <900-rated and try to play blue or gold (or maybe even 940-rated white tees). Also, I see many other reviews cite maintenance as an issue, but everything looked great when I played it in June 2011.

I really loved the feel of the course and view it as a leader in what a disc golf course should be. If some of the blue Par 3s were a little more manageable in terms of distance, I think this course would get a '5' and surpass Deer Lakes for top slot in my book.

1    10/12/2010   10/12/2010
Review By: boneehead16661
Pros: There are options for most players, beginners will have trouble.
The store has a good variety of discs and has decent prices.
Hole 18 is very unique.
Cons: Water! Way too much water. Especially for folks unfamiliar with the course, LHBH shooters, and beginners. I thought I was an OK player, but I hit the water on three separate holes. One was within reach, the second I got with a stick and a wet foot, and the third is waiting for their crew to dredge it up.
I got confused/misdirected several times the multi pin/ multi tee layout is not conducive to a good game flow. I can see several spots where someone could get hurt if they are not paying attention (especially 15). There were three intersecting fairways from three tees to three pins.
There was garbage, pop cans, and beer cans sitting at almost every pin that didn't have a can (and some that did). I know it was the end of the day, but it seemed like they hadn't cleaned up from the weekend ( it was Tuesday).
Other Thoughts: although the pin to tee trails were marked, I still got confused.
Very cool volunteer thank you setup.

Maple Hill

2-4    2/2/2013   10/2/2010
Review By: adlacro
This review was updated on 2/2/2013
Pros: 18 challenging holes with multiple tees (all of which in stupendous shape), baskets (all in pristine shape), and offers different challenges to different types of players. Red tees offer the birdie/ace runs with next to no water interference (barring an extremely errant throw of course). White adds a little more challenge and water, blue adds more length and elevation and gold is the best of the best pro wise. There's something for everybody. Awesome usage of the course surroundings. Off the fairway most of the time and most of the holes are forgiving, unless your disc is in the drink. Great pro shop with drinks inside. Friendly locals and not far from other disc golf courses as well (but why would you want to leave?) Plenty of tournaments year round as well as a fair amount of parking. Not far from other spectacular courses.
Cons: Some people have the gripe about pay to play courses, and I am really starting to turn a new leaf over as far as that goes. I really don't think it is a con anymore.
Other Thoughts: Maple Hill has something for every disc golf player, and is quite the thrill, especially for those who play it for the first time. Memberships here are 150, so if you're a local, get one and make it worth it. Your money is getting poured back into the land and the course that is on it, and trust we it is every bit worth your 10 dollar fee. Can't believe this is only an hour from my house!

championship course

1    9/4/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: eastcoastf
Pros: when i first got there..i thought..this is where they have tournaments? didn't look to great....but once i stepped onto the first hole ..i understood why.

great course..very challenging..and just a great walk

plus i got there early in the morning..only one there..so it was great to get to take my time.

Cons: the 4 courses sometimes confused me..but it was more because my first time playing the course.

I was afraid to throw the holes that had water hazards.

Other Thoughts: you have to play to play (but it's worth it)

pyramids down the street
newton hill 10 minutes away

This is one of the finest course i have ever played!

1    9/4/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: movieguy84
Pros: Absolutely a championship quality course! The whole course plays through woods and around a breathtaking lake. The Tee pads are made out of Vibrium which is a very cool material that give you a lot of grip on your drives. This is a very challenging course
Cons: Lots of water to loose discs in this is not a course to bring a first time player to. Its a private course so its $5 to play but still very worth the money.
Other Thoughts: There is a cool pro shop. I got to talk to the owner for a little bit and he showed me that above the pro-shop there is a club house for the members of the course which was just getting finished when I was there but is very cool if i lived in this area I would be a member of this course.

Great first experience

1    8/8/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: Froboust
Pros: Even though this course is very challenging, we had a great time playing as a family. Awesome variety of sceneries. Eveyone there is so friendly. This was our first time and we will go back.
Cons: Easy to loose discs in the water.
Other Thoughts: Great to know that we can bring our dog next time. Make sure you bring a snack and plenty of water.