Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 250ft.   3 / 300ft.   3 / 300ft.   3 / 250ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #4 White/Blue Tee Sign

championship course

1    9/4/2010   9/12/2010
Review By: eastcoastf
Pros: when i first got there..i thought..this is where they have tournaments? didn't look to great....but once i stepped onto the first hole ..i understood why.

great course..very challenging..and just a great walk

plus i got there early in the morning..only one there..so it was great to get to take my time.

Cons: the 4 courses sometimes confused me..but it was more because my first time playing the course.

I was afraid to throw the holes that had water hazards.

Other Thoughts: you have to play to play (but it's worth it)

pyramids down the street
newton hill 10 minutes away

This is one of the finest course i have ever played!

1    9/4/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: movieguy84
Pros: Absolutely a championship quality course! The whole course plays through woods and around a breathtaking lake. The Tee pads are made out of Vibrium which is a very cool material that give you a lot of grip on your drives. This is a very challenging course
Cons: Lots of water to loose discs in this is not a course to bring a first time player to. Its a private course so its $5 to play but still very worth the money.
Other Thoughts: There is a cool pro shop. I got to talk to the owner for a little bit and he showed me that above the pro-shop there is a club house for the members of the course which was just getting finished when I was there but is very cool if i lived in this area I would be a member of this course.

Great first experience

1    8/8/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: Froboust
Pros: Even though this course is very challenging, we had a great time playing as a family. Awesome variety of sceneries. Eveyone there is so friendly. This was our first time and we will go back.
Cons: Easy to loose discs in the water.
Other Thoughts: Great to know that we can bring our dog next time. Make sure you bring a snack and plenty of water.

Pro-level course with something for everyone!

1    5/19/2010   6/22/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: Pro-level challenge, but with multiple tees/baskets to suit everyone except maybe the beginning player.

Every tee is clearly marked and every basket has color-coded flags to clearly demonstrate which basket you should be shooting at when there are multiple baskets on a hole. Tee pads on the ground are rubber, but done solidly, while elevated tees (on slopes) are of wood construction, similar to a deck. Plenty seats, tables, trash cans, etc throughout the course to make DG'ing easier.

Course navigation was pretty easy, even without a map, most holes had very good marking for the next tee, and a lot had a well worn path right to the next tee. The map (on the scorecard available in the beginning barn) was handy though for orienting yourself while on the course, and helped clear up some confusion for me on exactly where hole 12's basket was.

The scenic beauty of this course is amazing, and the use of the terrain and flora available is nothing short of magnificent!

I also had a chance to chat with the owner for about 30 minutes while waiting for some rain to clear, really great guy. He was even going to loan me an umbrella in case it started raining again while I was playing! I also ended up getting a sweet star Ontario roc with the Maple Hill stamp for a great price! I got to see the lost and found room, and let me tell you, he could make a fortune off the volume of discs that have been found, but alas he is a great individual, and catalogues them and will return them if contacted (I believe a list of these discs is on the course website). There were literally hundreds of discs waiting for their owners. How many private course owners take this much time and effort? I know of only one other that goes to these lengths, Howie at Holler in the Hills.

My memorable holes (I won't write a novel and mention them all, since they were all pretty memorable, but here are my favorites):
1 - I can't not mention this hole. Everyone knows what a beast it is, but I have to restate it. The view from the tee is downright intimidating. A solid 30-40 foot elevation drop, with a good sized pond at the bottom, and the basket perched JUST on the far bank. I went hyzer, lost in the ditch on the right, and still managed a 4.
4 - Downhill shot through the woods, a narrow path to hit. I was so excited to clear down close to the basket until I realized it was not the basket I was shooting for from the tee I was on. Dangit.
5 - Another cool shot through the woods, this time on level ground. The pro route over the water on the left with a right turning path was very tough, especially since my forehand is horrible.
8 - Long-ish carry over the water, basket just on the other side, abutting a hill. This one was a little less intimidating and safer than 1, but still quite a challenge. I dropped into the water RIGHT before the green, so luckily there was a pole there to reach the 5 feet to retrieve my waterlogged disc.
9 - Start with a platform (deck) tee, then throw up a corridor over a hill. Then you have to go down and back right, clear some water to the green. The course site says that 17 people got a three on this hole during the Open, I would love to have seen those, as this hole utterly kicked my rear.
10 - Amazing uphill drive with trees left, a steep rise, then the basket is protect in a castle-like turret at the top that is elevated ANOTHER 5-6 feet.
11 - Another downhill-looking shot, but without the water. The trees however, are a challenge of their own. Being a Christmas tree farm (?) there were tons of rows of fairly tall conifers (6-7 feet mostly). If you find your drive in the thick of these, good luck getting out easily. The basket is on a cool little "ridge" just into the woods (although the anchoring looked like it needed to be redone).
14 - Out over water again, then back left, hard line to hit, even harder basket to reach. It takes a pretty hard hyzer to get there.
16 - CRAZY shot out over some marshy area, then up and left through some thick woods. Pack a lunch for this hole, and whatever you do, don't hyzer out on your drive!
18 - Monster 650 foot par 4. Nothing overly complicated except its uphill, with trees on either side, and some in the fairway. Website again states that 12 people got threes in the Open, I can't imagine!
Cons: I have to qualify my cons. The first is a small con for me, the rubber tee pads. I prefer concrete but these are so well done I can't really detract from my score because of them.

I generally think of pay-to-play as a con, since I've seen so many other free courses that are exceptional, but again this doesn't factor into my rating because well, it is simply more than worth $5 to play this course.

My only other con, which is legitimate, is the nasty soft ground in a few places, most notably on hole 12's fairway. There are a bunch of 1x8 decking boards laid out, but it was treacherous. Filling that area would allow that area to be easily traversable, or perhaps some sort of stepping stones. Anything would help, but I suppose the boards were better than stepping in ankle deep muck. This is literally my only true con!
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 4.5 means just what it appears. This course is almost perfect. I have played the likes of top 10 courses Idlewild and Holler in the Hills, as well as the legendary Renaissance Park, Hornets Nest, to name a few, and this one almost tops my list. I would say it is a close second behind Renny. Like I stated before, the only true thing I found wrong with it was some swampy areas on 2 and 12. Fix or do something to bypass those and it's an honest 5 in my book!

If you are anywhere NEAR this course, and I mean within a few hours' drive, you must make time to play it. For a pay-to-play private course (maintenance on the course is well worth the $5) it probably has the highest bang for the buck I've seen yet.

Keep up the awesome work, and you better believe I'll be back for a second round if I get back to Mass!

Great Course

1    5/23/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: dyland34
Pros: This was an amazing course! This Course has a wide variety of holes and really challenges the player. There are elevation changes and it mixes wooded shots with wide open shots. It was a blast playing this course and was definitely worth the 5 bucks. The view was great and all the holes had great views. I would play this course everyday if I could!
Cons: This course had a lot of wooded sections and you can lose your disc on a lot of holes. A LOT of water and if you overshoot the hole you are going for a swim. Also some holes had some tall grass and took a while to find my discs in the Christmas trees.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and I had a terrific time playing the course. This is a challenging course and cant wait to go back and play again.

Fun & Challenging Course

2-4    3/18/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: rootcanalsarebad
Pros: -Three different sets of tees: Red for Beginners, White for Intermediates, and Blue for Pros.
-Home to the Vibram Open every summer.
-Stunning scenery
-Great tee signs
-Well designed course
Cons: -Very easy to lose discs as there is lots of water (though they do send out dive teams and post their findings)
-One mistake can ruin a round
-Caters more to players with big arms
-Needs some cleanup
Other Thoughts: Maple Hill is a fantastic course with some great holes, from the "Christmas Tree" hole 11, to the daunting hole 8 with the drive over the water. With 3 different skill levels, this course is sure to please players of all ratings.

Make sure to bring some "beater" discs unless you're certain you can clear hole 8 (and hole 1 for blue). While they do send out dive teams on occasion, losing discs is quite easy due to the use of water on much of the course.

This course consistently gets 4.5 and 5 star ratings. I'm giving it a 4, because I prefer courses with more technical elements. There are wooded holes at Maple Hill, but they weren;t overly technical in my opinion.

Still, for $5, this is a must play for anyone in New England. Parking can be an issue if the course is crowded, but it's worth the attempt. Bring some friends and have a great day at an excellent course.

Great, Challenging Course

1    3/18/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: andapos
Pros: Extremely varied holes. Great risk/reward potential on several holes. Some holes are truely memorable and will keep you thinking long after you leave for the day.
Cons: The risks sometimes outweigh the rewards.
Other Thoughts: A truely fantastic course. I recently played it and there was some work that needed to be done to clean things up from the winter weather. There are a few holes that seem very inviting, but looks can be deceiving. An errant throw on this course will often result in 6s and 7s.

There are three separate courses (red, white, blue) which offer challenges for players of all levels. If you can make the trip out, you owe it to yourself to play Maple Hill.

1    10/15/2009   12/19/2009
Review By: DaKineSurfer32
Pros: - three completely different layouts allows for endless combo possibilities
- at least 2 baskets, sometimes 3 baskets (yes, all basket positions filled) per hole
- every hole has at least dual tees
- every basket has a color coded flag on top of it so you know what course it is for, if a given basket is shared it will be checkered in those two colors, instead of one solid color
- just an awe inspiring layout and landscape
- tons of fun water hazards (in the summer there is a paddle boat on hole 1, so you can get your disc back from the lake or watch shots air out over you
- great tee/pin locations
- nice, descriptive signs
- maps can be picked up on your way through the barn. They are on the back of the scorecards, and there are three types of scorecard, one for each course (red, white, blue)
- many tables out on the course, many benches as well
- very technical, and the white & blue courses will wear on you with their length and force you to keep focused for any sort of decent score
- some truly unique holes (like 9, which in the blue position throws nearly 1000' over a Christmas tree field)
- seldom is crowded, maybe sometimes in the mid-summer
Cons: - small parking lot
- not superbly maintained, but i would imagine that it's hard to keep a course like this in pristine condition with no staff
- some of the more difficult holes on the white 7 blue courses could be looked at as a little ridiculous to the average golfer
- no bathrooms
- there are some blind shots, or shots into long grass/over water where you definitely need a spotter
Other Thoughts: *This is the first 5 Star rating that I've ever given*

The basket on the tower by tee 1 is just asking for a photo op.

Maple Hill is a part of the duo of courses that make up Marshall Street. The pro shop is just around the corner at Pyramids and these two courses can provide an endless amount of fun disc golf with Maple Hill as a true gem.

I'd honestly just be regurgitating what most of the other reviewers have said by just singing this course praise, but it truly deserves it. Maple Hill is an elite course, and I hope to see it's recognition grow, and if you're ever ANYWHERE in Massachusetts and don't play this course, shame on you.

Swiming optional

5+    10/3/2009   10/13/2009
Review By: MadChillMojo
Pros: Like they say, Championship Quality with a wide variety of skills necessary to score well. The shorter, Red course is challenging in its own right offering good technical shots and some big open ones as well, without being SO big as to discourage new players.
My brother and I play here quite often and mix it up between the reds and whites to keep it fresh and interesting. Playing combos of basket/tee options really keeps things varied!
Great views and a really well laid out and maintained course. You even get to assault a small castle along the way!
The course markers are clear, concise and even have a shot of the approach and some stats to shoot for. The tee pads are rubber and nice and level. They got hit hard by the ice storms this past winter but have since updated the course and it's actually even better now than it was in previous years.
They have a small Pro Shop and lost and found - with a website posting lost discs that they recovered - and one of the best outhouses I've ever encountered. ;)
Its also just a minute down the road from Pyramids/Marshall Street Disc Golf. So for $10 you can play two outstanding courses in a day AND re-up on your lost discs.
Cons: Water. I mean, while it makes for an interesting and challenging round, it CAN get frustrating and semi-expensive. Often, I will skip the long water-crossing shots in favor of the shorter Red course option on those days where I don't feel I have the guts to go for the glory.
The paddle-boat on hole #1 is a perk I've taken advantage of on more than one occasion.
The fact that they close after Thanksgiving is a bummer for me too since Fall play is really my favorite time to be out throwing plastic. But they have a christmas tree farm to run and honestly, the more of those trees they cut out of the big open field, the happier I'll be.

All that water, which is rather swamp-like, makes for excellent mosquito/black fly breeding grounds. Be prepared.
Other Thoughts: Hole #1. You'll need a good 380' drive to clear the water and a lot of the time there's a breeze to contend with as well. .
I've found that going for the shoreline on the left edge of the pond on the first Tee is a safer bet than trying to go over the water. Its a nice, natural and predictable backhand hyzer after all.
On the Whites, you'll still have a decent approach shot with a possible birdie if your long range putting is good. If you're playing the the Blues, its so far away you don't lose much on your second shot anyway. Sometimes safe play is the smart play.

1    9/29/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: sikaranmonkey
Pros: An all out excellent course with a variety of good shots. Well marked and easy to navigate. There is an equal amount of technical and all out arm busting holes. The course winds its way between tree farm fields using the fields and wooded corridors to great advantage. All of which take great advantage of elevation and water hazards. Bonus on the first pond is it has a paddle boat and is relatively shallow so you stand a good chance of getting your disc back. If not, they have divers go in the ponds once a year and you can find your disc on their website. Complete with recreational through pro tees, this is a course to go back to. Its only 5 dollars.
Cons: Its 5 dollars to get in. Still doing some work from the winter damage. If you don't mark your disc in some of the tree farm shots it can ge confusing. The water hazards can become an annoyance when you lose several discs in a day. Disc golf is cheap but I'm no where near rich.
Other Thoughts: Great layout to the course. Its just a fun play and you can do multiple rounds shooting different pars. I keep going back. Pyramids is 2 minutes down the road, costs the same, is just about of the same callibur, and can make for an all day event that stays interesting.