Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #16 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 225ft.   4 / 540ft.   3 / 340ft.   3 / 510ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #16 White/Blue Tee

I love you

2-4    6/6/2009   7/1/2009
Review By: Mergz
This review was updated on 7/3/2009
Pros: Multiple Tees & baskets per hole. Beautiful layout. Variety of elevation, terrain. Nice Vibram tee pads and great signage. Nice People running the show. It does not get crowded. Very organized lost & found system. Practice basket. As others have said good Risk/ Reward factor. If you play smart (not necessarily big arming it), you'll do well - over the course of three outings I shot ten strokes fewer than each previous round.
Cons: It's easy to lose discs.
Other Thoughts: The Ice Storm created a huge clean up job.

A good course

1    6/13/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: GrandCactus
Pros: I liked this course because it challenged me to throw long, and with both hands. A real pet-peeve of mine is the tendency of some courses to favor RHBT (the basket is somewhere off to the left or the fairway curves); Maple hill has a pretty even mix, which was quite enjoyable.

Some of the holes were just plain fun. There really is no comprable feeling to throwing over a lake(8) or bombing it down over a christmas tree forest (11).

As a pay to play, it was great having the entire course to ourselves. Occasionally we could hear other groups whooping, but mostly it was conducive to a pleasant walk through the woods. While it may not appeal to others, I thoroughly enjoyed looking into the ponds and watching the frogs, tadpole, fish, and newts swimming around. We also ran into a turtle, booking it across the 13 fairway, which was odd, because we weren't really near any water.

Excellent signage.
Cons: Not many birdie opportunities. This course was really designed with distance in mind, so if you can't throw very far (or spent the last 6 months locked in your office finishing your master's thesis, as your muscles slowly atrophied and your skin turned a ghastly shade of white from lack of sunlight), its going to be a long day. Of course, that's also a Pro, but the occasional birdie feels good (I got 1).

While I'm sure others will disagree, I didn't find the course to be particularly well-cared for. I realize there was icestorm damage in december, but no one hole was taken care of the way some public courses are when they get adopted. Sure, there were piles of logs and sticks everywhere, and someone was running the woodchipper near 2, but some of the paths and fairways were pretty well overgrown, and the whole "lets throw some 2x6's in the mud some people can walk through" is good as a stopgap measure, but looks pretty ugly when you find it on almost every hole, and there isn't actually any mud (just dirty lumber).

Amenities: maybe I missed it, but water and a bathroom are on my expectations for a course, especially if I'm paying. The empty water coolers in the entrance barn(garage?) crushed my soul in desolation after promising the sweet elixer of life for a dehydrated and exhauster golfer.
Other Thoughts: Finding discs in even rows of christmas trees is not exactly fun, since they all have thick low branches that you can't see around (duh). I would also love to fish some of these ponds.

1    5/23/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: abelrod
Pros: this course is world class. With the ICE STORM they had THIS WINTER (2009) they have come a long way from the damage. this course makes you think about every shot, great risk reward course.
Cons: Closed from Thanksgiving to Christmas while they sell Christmas trees.

not sure what the fuss is about

1    5/16/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: invidious
This review was updated on 9/12/2012
Pros: Nice scenery, 3 difficulties to chose from, mix of long and short holes, a technically challenging course. Several very memorable shots which is something that I really appreciate.
Cons: Several holes are basically in the woods with no fairway.
Other Thoughts: I drove 2.5 hours to play here with the expectation it would be a world class course and I was a little let down. The overly wooded holes I mentioned above soured what would have otherwise been a good overall experience. I would give it another chance except it is so far away.

The best I've played

5+    4/28/2012   4/26/2009
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 5/3/2012
Pros: This is one of the most complete courses I've seen.

1. Configurations. There are four configurations, newly revised in the past year. The red course no longer requires any shots over water, so you can finally bring a true beginner to the course. The newly installed gold course is similar to the old blue course but with some new kinks, and the new blue course is only slightly less challenging. There is really a course for everyone. Every hole has 2-3 tee pads and 2-3 baskets to accommodate.
2. Variety. It's rare to find a course with this sort of elevation, shots over water, open holes, and wooded holes…and Christmas trees!
3. Fairways. I've never thought of this as a pro, but the course creators have done a great job with fairways. A lot of the holes look fairly straightforward, and if you can throw 300 feet with accuracy, they are. Holes 3, 4, 6, and 7 are good examples. You really need to focus on the succession of your shots, and if you end up off the fairway, you probably won't be looking at par. The open holes, like 1 and 11, force you to hit the landing zones. If you end up in the Christmas trees, you'll need a creative escape shot. There are some serious distance holes, but you may be better off discing down to make sure you have a good second shot.
4. Signage. The signs clearly show birds-eye views of every tee and basket location and the paths to the basket. Not the best I've seen, but close.
5. Manicuring. There is some obvious love that went into this course, from the bridges over the swampy areas to the impressive"castle hole" on #10.
6. Risk/reward. Can I make it over the pond on #1 or do I bail out? Do I trust my forehand/anhyzer on #5, or should I just take the safe route through the woods for the bogey? Can I really hit the island green on #18, or do I need to lay up? Lots of this sort of thing. I don't think you can have a great course without it.
Cons: 1. The ponds. The risk of losing a disk is very real, especially if you are really testing the risk/reward on holes 1, 5, or 8. I lost two, one on a poor shot in the wind, another on an unlucky shot that clipped a tree and splashed into the cold shallows. The ponds can get in your head, which I think adds to the game (you know you can throw 250 feet straight on dry land, but do you trust yourself over water?). The good news is they send divers down periodically to retrieve discs, and if you order something from Prime Discs, they'll send you back your lost discs. I've gotten back several.
2. It's in the middle of nowhere. This is also a pro, since the course is never crowded. I was there on a Sunday, and I only saw three other groups. It does take some effort to get to.
Other Thoughts: This is the most well thought-out course I have played. The four configurations play pretty seamlessly, and it's cool to see how the fairways intersect and give completely different looks to the same hole.

There is a new sap house just off of the 18th hole where you can buy discs or equipment and pay for your round (yeah, it's $5) and chat with Steve Dodge.

This course was devastated by the ice storm in late 2008. It's cleaned up now and is a testament to the volunteers that care about this course. But it was a mess for some of 2009, so bear that in mind when reading reviews from that period.

There is a real sense of serenity here when you have the place to yourself. The ponds are placid, and there is something pretty special as you stare out over a valley of Christmas trees on #11 and think, "Huh. Well this is different than my local course." Don't miss the chance to play here.

Update:
I played the course again on the busiest day I've seen on the course (maybe 5-6 groups out there). I will say that the various configurations can get confusing around holes 10-16. We played through one group that was on the reds (we were on the whites) and then had to play through them again around 16 and couldn't figure out when it was fine to tee off since the red 15 and 16 overlay the white 16. Not a big deal at all, but it could be rough if the course ever gets really busy.

That said, I have played dozens more courses since I first reviewed Maple Hill, and it is still the best I have played.

Maple Hill

1    4/20/2009   4/21/2009
Review By: Huff
Pros: Oh my. This was my 1st course I've played out of my home state, and what a beautiful course to do it on. The course offered multiple Tee/Pins for levels of difficulty with red/white/blue layouts. From what I could see the red looked like a realistic course for beginners. The blue course layout had me in awe of the arms needed for it. I played the White and found it a good middle ground of the other two levels. The course makes excellent use of the natural land scape with a variety of elevation changes and multiple water hazards. Plenty of variety of wooded and open shots, doglegs, and risk reward shots. The tee pads were the nicest I've ever played from in both form and function. The signage was very nicely done and made it easy for me to find each hole and identify the red/white/blue layout for each hole.
Cons: My only complaint on this course is one I hate to make, as its not the course or owners fault. It looks like the course took some major damage this past winter. Many many blow downs. However most of the blow downs in the fairways have been delimbed and sectioned up some. There was a crew out working on this problem with saws and a chipper, but they have a lot of work ahead of them, and I hope lots of locals are pitching in. Once this work is done I would rate this course a 5.
Other Thoughts: I was rushed for time while I was there, and will definitely go out of my way to get back to this course and play it again. It was fun, challenging, scenically beautiful and its clearly well maintained. Whats not to love?

B+ = Be too long for me to fully enjoy

2-4    12/19/2006   4/19/2009
This review was updated on 7/3/2014
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B+
Other Thoughts: 7/3/14 - updated rating. Might update review verbiage later.

I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor…more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

My favorite course

2-4    10/13/2008   4/13/2009
Review By: shamroc333
Pros: Very beautiful course. All different types of holes. Good for beginners and experts. You have to play smart like another person said in there in there comment. So it is a nice place to help you advice your game.
Cons: There are none!
Other Thoughts: You have to play it!!

One of the best around worcester

5+    8/1/2008   4/1/2009
Review By: frizgolfkiller
Pros: Two sets of tees and baskets for each hole. The shorter tees aren't that much easier like they tend to be at other courses. A perfect mix of wide-open fields, wooded, and challenging shots. I forget which hole it is but I love throwing over the lake. Letting 'er rip over the christmas trees on the 800ft shot is very satisfying. This is definitely in my top 5 courses in MA.
Cons: Closed during Christmas tree season. You have to pay to play.
Other Thoughts: I can't say enough to people about the marshall street disc golf store...I love that place. This is right down the road so if you are going to the store but don't feel like playing pyramids you gotta play this course.

Pretty darn amazing

2-4    3/28/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: solomon.trenton
This review was updated on 6/25/2010
Pros: Where to start? Such a wide array of shots and difference in hole length. Three sets of tees; red (short), white (medium), and blue (long). Each hole has at least two tee pads or two baskets. Some holes havthree of each! The red holes vary from 195-455, white from 195-666, and blue from 280 to 785. Fairways are easily defined and well laid out. The course offers all kinds of variations in water shots (ponds and over-the-lake shots), elevation changes, and technical vs. grip and rip shots. The course is very open and even on a very busy day (like the one I played) it seems like the course is almost there just for you. The test of risk/reward will get you wondering just how big of a canon arm you have or whether it is really a noodle. There are colored flags on top of the baskets so you know which one to shoot at. The tee signs are in full color, easy to read and show the ideal path to the basket. The pathways between the holes have color coordinated arrows on them to point you to the right tee. There are really nice rubber teepads on every tee. OB for all the holes is clearly marked by colored rope, even on the rock walls. Some benches and trash cans are also scattered throughout the course.
Cons: There are no public bathrooms: although Marshall Street has a porta pottie. There arent any brooms on the teepads in the woods. Some of the basket flags are either tattered beyond repair or totally missing. I don't like to lose my discs so the possibility of losing so many discs is a con to me. Although all the discs that are found are posted to their website:
Other Thoughts: I gave Maple Hill a 4.5 due to the current conditions of when I played. I.E. the missing flags, busted tee signs, and the super long grass.

The course itself is amazing nonetheless and a must play if you are visiting New England.

Drop zones are provided for over-the-water shots.

I would recommend playing it near the Vibram Open as it is optimal condition then.

Drop zones are provided for over-the-water shots.

Update: Most of the ice storm damage has been cleared. The course is now a 5.0!