Leicester, MA
Maple Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 230ft.   4 / 370ft.   3 / 330ft.   4 / 520ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #10 Basket to Tee (White Layout)

Maple Hill

1    4/20/2009   4/21/2009
Review By: Huff
Pros: Oh my. This was my 1st course I've played out of my home state, and what a beautiful course to do it on. The course offered multiple Tee/Pins for levels of difficulty with red/white/blue layouts. From what I could see the red looked like a realistic course for beginners. The blue course layout had me in awe of the arms needed for it. I played the White and found it a good middle ground of the other two levels. The course makes excellent use of the natural land scape with a variety of elevation changes and multiple water hazards. Plenty of variety of wooded and open shots, doglegs, and risk reward shots. The tee pads were the nicest I've ever played from in both form and function. The signage was very nicely done and made it easy for me to find each hole and identify the red/white/blue layout for each hole.
Cons: My only complaint on this course is one I hate to make, as its not the course or owners fault. It looks like the course took some major damage this past winter. Many many blow downs. However most of the blow downs in the fairways have been delimbed and sectioned up some. There was a crew out working on this problem with saws and a chipper, but they have a lot of work ahead of them, and I hope lots of locals are pitching in. Once this work is done I would rate this course a 5.
Other Thoughts: I was rushed for time while I was there, and will definitely go out of my way to get back to this course and play it again. It was fun, challenging, scenically beautiful and its clearly well maintained. Whats not to love?

B+ = Be too long for me to fully enjoy

1    12/19/2006   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B+

My favorite course

2-4    10/13/2008   4/13/2009
Review By: shamroc333
Pros: Very beautiful course. All different types of holes. Good for beginners and experts. You have to play smart like another person said in there in there comment. So it is a nice place to help you advice your game.
Cons: There are none!
Other Thoughts: You have to play it!!

One of the best around worcester

5+    8/1/2008   4/1/2009
Review By: frizgolfkiller
Pros: Two sets of tees and baskets for each hole. The shorter tees aren't that much easier like they tend to be at other courses. A perfect mix of wide-open fields, wooded, and challenging shots. I forget which hole it is but I love throwing over the lake. Letting 'er rip over the christmas trees on the 800ft shot is very satisfying. This is definitely in my top 5 courses in MA.
Cons: Closed during Christmas tree season. You have to pay to play.
Other Thoughts: I can't say enough to people about the marshall street disc golf store...I love that place. This is right down the road so if you are going to the store but don't feel like playing pyramids you gotta play this course.

Pretty darn amazing

2-4    3/28/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: solomon.trenton
This review was updated on 6/25/2010
Pros: Where to start? Such a wide array of shots and difference in hole length. Three sets of tees; red (short), white (medium), and blue (long). Each hole has at least two tee pads or two baskets. Some holes havthree of each! The red holes vary from 195-455, white from 195-666, and blue from 280 to 785. Fairways are easily defined and well laid out. The course offers all kinds of variations in water shots (ponds and over-the-lake shots), elevation changes, and technical vs. grip and rip shots. The course is very open and even on a very busy day (like the one I played) it seems like the course is almost there just for you. The test of risk/reward will get you wondering just how big of a canon arm you have or whether it is really a noodle. There are colored flags on top of the baskets so you know which one to shoot at. The tee signs are in full color, easy to read and show the ideal path to the basket. The pathways between the holes have color coordinated arrows on them to point you to the right tee. There are really nice rubber teepads on every tee. OB for all the holes is clearly marked by colored rope, even on the rock walls. Some benches and trash cans are also scattered throughout the course.
Cons: There are no public bathrooms: although Marshall Street has a porta pottie. There arent any brooms on the teepads in the woods. Some of the basket flags are either tattered beyond repair or totally missing. I don't like to lose my discs so the possibility of losing so many discs is a con to me. Although all the discs that are found are posted to their website:
Other Thoughts: I gave Maple Hill a 4.5 due to the current conditions of when I played. I.E. the missing flags, busted tee signs, and the super long grass.

The course itself is amazing nonetheless and a must play if you are visiting New England.

Drop zones are provided for over-the-water shots.

I would recommend playing it near the Vibram Open as it is optimal condition then.

Drop zones are provided for over-the-water shots.

Update: Most of the ice storm damage has been cleared. The course is now a 5.0!

Top of the list

5+    8/16/2008   1/29/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: So many good things to choose from.
Excellent scenery, excellent use of both elevation and water on the course. Nice mix of distance and technical shots. And a number of unique obstacles and variety offered by multiple tees and pins. Not so much a test of physical endurance (even though it is a pretty hefty walk) but definietly a test of mental endurance and of your course management skills. There are rewards to be had by going for it in a number of locations - but the punishment is equally available for errant shots.
Cons: Hard to find much in the way of cons for this course. Other than being 500+ miles away from my house. I guess the only peeve I have is that in the couple of locations where boardwalks have been built for tees - they are a little short (I'm thinking holes 12 and 13, the one on 18 is awesome)
Other Thoughts: This is a place that draws you back, time and again. Once you've played Maple Hill, it's hard to imagine how you get a better piece of property for a DGC.

Maple Skills

5+    11/20/2008   1/22/2009
Review By: Hoey
Pros: Maple Hill has got everything you look for in a championship calibur course. Ponds, lakes, streams, elevation variation... and big 'ol trees along with rock wall ob's nicely define fairways. 3 different layouts also provide whatever level of challenge you're ready for. You really must play smart on the Blue's and to a certain extent, also on the Whites. You may get away with going for it a couple times, but unless you're cashing at the Vibram Open, the course finds a way to punish you, and punish you big. There are no gimmies, and no "deuce or die" type holes on the blues as well, unless you're amazing. So, if you disagree, congratulations for being awesome, I still need alot of practice. I may have not played 100's of courses, someday... but I have a hard time believing this course (and I've said this for years now) isn't in the top ten in the country. You come here, and you'll agree, it is a five star course all the way.

What I also like about it is that because it is so big, the course can be fairly busy, and you feel like you have the whole place to yourself.
Cons: Water hazards can be tricky for some. Dropzones provided.
Other Thoughts: This is one of those courses that makes you better, because you must throw that shot just right in order to nail the gap or fairway, or tricky putt, and so on. Get your Hill on.

Do you have the skill to play Maple Hill?

2-4    8/15/2008   1/12/2009
Review By: jivedude
Pros: Good variety of wooded and open holes as well as short technical shots and long bombs.. Well designed and very well maintained. A very challenging course for a neophyte such as myself!
Cons: Easy to lose discs on a few holes.

this course should be in the top 5

5+    1/10/2009   1/10/2009
Review By: central mass
Pros: maple hill cannot be explained in words. it should be in the top 5 if not number 1. it can be a really tough course. also very rewarding when you have a good round. i've played many course's and its a better course than warwick.
Cons: you can lose a couple disc's to the pond's during a round, but they have an great lost and found and swim for disc's from the pond's .
Other Thoughts: come play it, you will want to move here.

Absolute must play

5+    11/11/2008   1/9/2009
Review By: PageParkDG
Pros: Excellent piece of property, and very well used. Great variety, open holes, tight holes, big bombs, short technical shots, elevation, lots of water, lots of OB. The tee pads are second to none, allowing lots of run up room and nice and flat.
Three separate layouts to cater to all skill levels. Red course is the most beginner friendly, the white course is excellent and challenging, though not as vicious as the blues. The blue course will challenge even the best of the best to make smart shots on every hole, or pay with strokes.
The people are very friendly and seemingly always working on the course. You can even pick up some plastic while there.
The course always leaves you wanting to go back for more fun and punishment.
Cons: Closed for a few weeks in the late fall/early winter to sell Christmas trees. Only a con because the course is so good!
Other Thoughts: Just go play it and become a better golfer.