Monterey, CA
Don Dahvee Open Space Share
Uploaded By: jumbs Hole #12
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #12 Basket: Tree no longer there.

Play it with the MSJDG Club!

2-4    9/19/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: ***Disclaimer*** I played this course with the Monterey Stinging Jellies DG Club. Otherwise my rating would be much lower from the first time I played it.

Layout- With hand placed portable cages/baskets put in very strategic locations and locals to show me where to tee off from and how to play the holes it was pretty awesome. Huge variety of shots required to score low. Trees and elevation changes make for some fun, challenging and interesting play.
Locals- All the guys I played with were very friendly and super helpful.
Location- Great location in relation to "downtown" with a liquor store across the street for pre/during round liquid refreshments and close to Hwy 1 freeway.
Cages- The Mach5 cages that are permanent are in excellent shape.
Family Friendly- The "Open Space" can be used for a short easy round with beginners or kids.
Cons: Playability- This course is not consistently laid out the way I played it with portable baskets which means there is typically only 7-9 permanent baskets in a pretty open field, thus the name. Definitely look for the DG club meet-ups for a chance to play this course at its best.
Signage- There isn't any. That is all.
Tee pads- There isn't any. You can spot some where people tee off regularly, but it's loose dirt or small grit gravel that makes for inconsistent footing.
Homeless- This can be a problem, but a disc flying at them usually gets them to move.
Parking- Can be an issue during school hours at the near by college, but can usually be found within 200 yards of course just maybe not hole #1.
Amenities- No restrooms other than "nature". No benches or bag holders if you're into that thing, but since there would never be a wait it's not a problem.
Other Thoughts: This is not a destination course unless you are coming for a DG Club meet up at which point its actually a can't miss. They set up what I would call 2 signature holes (one under the del monte shopping center bridge and one across the rivine road). If you are in the area and jonesin' for a quick pitch/putt practice session this could placate that.

Practice area or course?

1    4/30/2010   3/23/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: First off, the land that this course occupies has TONS of potential to be a really nice course with rolling hills, interesting sections of trees, some manmade obstacles - it could probably never be an 18 hole championship style course; but with a careful evaluation of the available area and the foresight to reduce the number of holes, this place could be a great stop-off in between Ryan Ranch and the CSUMB courses.
Cons: Good luck finding the course! In case the picture wasn't quite clear from previous reviewers, this place is a navigational nightmare. We ended up walking around for around 30 minutes trying to get a sense for what the course was supposed to play like before just playing safari to all of the different pin positions. In addition to navigation problems, the area itself is just in disrepair with neglected teeing areas and fairways. This place has GREAT terrain for a disc golf course although it seems that trying to fit in so many holes has led to an unmanageable, mostly unplayable course.
Other Thoughts: Don Davee has really suffered the consequences of the one-too-many redesign and a really nice nearby course at the Ranch. With a little TLC, I think this course could again be suited to serve a nice purpose either as a short family-friendly course with 9-12 holes or, with a longer, more technical layout, perhaps a really good 7-9 hole tester for more advanced players. As it stands right now, the course is good for neither group!

Neglected and it shows

1    12/18/2010   12/22/2010
Review By: Joe_Maumy
Pros: Its a disc golf course with ocean views. Not much else
Cons: I could write a bunch here but I will sum it it as overall lack of caring by the locals. We stayed right across the street and I could see the course from my hotel. Saturday morning the rain stopped and I ran over to play. I got through a few hole and gave up. No signs, had to find tees and a bum had set up camp on what I think was the #11 tee pad.
Other Thoughts: At this point and time its not worth the visit. If you staying at one of the many hotels across the street you can get in some practice but good luck playing a complete round. Also, watch out for the bums.

This Course Has That Neglected Feel!

1    8/22/2010   9/2/2010
Pros: Hi, my name is Tiffany Dan Dahvee Open Space but my friends (The Monterry Bay Stinging Jelly Fish) called me Tiffi. They used to like me and would take pretty bitchin good care of me. They would groom me. I used to have 18 baskets, nice concrete tee signs, on-line maps that told players where to play my voluptuous holes and even a cool signature hole under a tunnel. I was a pretty popular with the discin crowd in the MB area.
Cons: Then this new tramp called Ryan's Ranch suddenly appeared. She had bigger hills, bigger gullies, more room for parking. Suddenly, she's the new hottie course around the bay, getting all this attention. Everybody's spending all their time with her. She even got some of my baskets. Took all my players! They haven't even bothered to change my on-line information or map. They don't care about me anymore. I'm old news!
Other Thoughts: The only ones who visit me anymore are the homeless dudes hanging out or the course baggers who haven't heard my sad story. Maybe an occasional family I'm lame as wing tips. I'm as cool as my parents. I'm so yesterday. I'm not popular anymore.

Back after a Couple Years

2-4    8/26/2010   8/26/2010
Review By: jetasun
Pros:
*Scenic park when fogged in.
*Quick 9 holes or can do a couple a quick passes with ease.
*Lots of birdie opportunities
*Good course for newbies
*Poison Oak no longer an issue.
Cons:
*Signature "under the bridge basket" is gone!
*Only 9 baskets (instead of the 18 that I remembered from a couple years ago)
*Lacking challenging shots
*Tricky Route Finding - I could not locate any new maps, so it was about 30-45 minutes of hunting around (no fellow DG'ers playing). The good news is that most of the baskets have the right number on them, even if the boxes are not marked correctly, if at all.
I'm an out-of-towner with family in tow. Haven't been here for a couple of years. After scoping out different boxes and lines, the flow of the course eventually revealed itself. The next day, I brought my wife and child back....a short nine was just about right for keeping their interest alive the whole round.

revised to 9 hole course

1    1/28/2009   1/31/2009
Review By: jumbs
Pros: New 9-hole Layout:
this layout is a quick play with no hikes in between holes, mostly open fairway shots, great for beginners, plenty of parking on munras st.
Cons: the signature holes are gone, no more full pulls, some baskets are close to one another and the tee pads, hole 9 fairway crosses a couple others (luckily it is hard to find a crowd at monterey courses, other than the bums who are always at DD and claim to be sandtraps)
Other Thoughts: this course was revised to please the requests of the city forester to save some trees. this being the case, I don't see that some of these new holes will last very long with freshly planted saplings, the original layout was technical, fun and challenging this one is more of a pitch and putt

Lay Out Guide

5+    12/7/2008   12/7/2008
Review By: Hwy1DG
Pros: #1 is on the corner across the street from Jack 'n the Box(eldarado st.), parking can be done here or in the first lot for the park just up Monras Ave. Long tee to pads walks are 6-7,10-11 go under bridge to 11 ,14-15 across street to 15, going up hill. And 17-18 you can also play a 17a to #10 basket on the way back.
Cons: Have to use course map (at links files page.)
Other Thoughts: I like the creative layout and tee pads that are constantly being fine tuned and adjusted on the course.
Safari on the way back to the car?

after seeing these, I had to agree and write my own even though it's been awhile

1    11/19/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: The one shot under the cement ceiling was nifty.
Cons: Every other aspect. It seems like it should not even be listed, like someone's special pet project just for them and a few of their buddies. Hard to find, hard to find parking, hard to navigate. No tee signs, dirt boxes, incredibly wrong layout with many unmarked long walks and cross-overs. Homeless people sleeping in the fairways. Man with dog mentioned below WAS THERE months ago when I played it too, creepy.
Insane poison oak levels- you cannot play more than a hole or two without getting covered in it.
Other Thoughts: Just don't waste your time.

Don Dahvee

1    10/12/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: hagar
Pros: Nothing comes to mind.
Cons: First, it's hard to find the course. Considering that it's near MPC and a shopping center and could see baskets once adjacent to it, I spent a good solid half hour riding around trying to find parking and where to start. That's was with a map. I found the tee for hole 1, and the basket was dead ahead, very short. After that, I had no idea. I asked the one other group I saw, they pointed out the first 5 holes and said it would be obviius after that. It wasn't. I spent several hours trying to get through the course and finally gave up because it just wasn't fun wandering around trying to figure out where to go next. I did encounter one hole that had a homeless looking guy and his dog that could have interfered with play, so I passed not wanting to throw in to him.
Other Thoughts: I was exteremly disapointed with this course. This was my first foray into scouting a course on my own, and I guess I must have been spoiled by the 2 courses that I have played with freinds. I imagine it could be a fun and challenging course if you know it, but it was neither on the first time with no guide or group to follow. There is some decent terrain change once you get away from the first 7 or 8 holes - if you vcan figure out where to go. There is a walking path that interferes with a good portion of the first 7 or 8 that can be problematic. Tee boxes are not well defined. Would not recommend it without a guide.

This one is rough

5+    9/21/2008   9/21/2008
Review By: blackskies
This review was updated on 2/9/2009
Pros: I don't really have any. And I'm really sorry for that, honestly
Cons: Course is hard to navigate. Markers are broken. Tee boxes are no obvious at all.
I have not been able to play #3 because of the homeless people who refuse to move away from the basket.
At one point you're in a ravine where you have no idea where to throw. It's about 5 feet wide. If you are outside of 5 feet you are in a ton of poison ivy. It seems as though it wasn't well thought out.
Other Thoughts: This course is great for people who know the course and are extremely talented. If you are new to the course or sport.....good luck.
Go online and download the course map. Even that is confusing. Also wear pants because of the poison ivy where some of the baskets are located.