Donnellson, IA
Westview Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #4 (Taken 2/2010)
5 / --   5 / 359ft.   5 / --   5 / -- Par / Distance:

Little of this and that

1    6/24/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Ballfield park with an in-season concession stand and bathrooms. Soccer fields on west side of park. Swings for the kiddies, along with a couple other kiddie activity areas. Walking trail into park, looks like it comes from town.

Maintenance was very good for the park. Everything looked mowed and trimmed. Park was clean.

Tee signs at each tee area. They looked to be recycled county road signs, nice idea recycling them. Baskets had orange flagging tape on them to distinguish them from the background, I really appreciated this.

Though the holes were mostly open, there was a pond shot and two wooded holes. Elevation was used nicely, as most of the holes had some sort of elevation present.

Beginner friendly except maybe for hole 5 (water hole).
Cons: Though the tee's were supposed to be gravel, all were overgrown with grass and weeds (though cut), so I don't think they can be called gravel anymore.

Baskets were a bit on the "light" side. Not only the rod used in the basket construction, but he chain seemed like a lighter thickness too. I could see a disc coming in hot may squeak out.

Though the tee signs were recycled and big, the information could be re-written as many of them were faded and hard to read.

I showed up during two games that were being played. A vehicle was parked on the tee for hole 1, and cars were parked alongside hole 2, caused us to wait until the games were over and most cleared out. We could have played anyway playing safe, but not being familiar with the rest of the course, I wasn't sure how much other interference there would be.
Other Thoughts: Note: I think they changed hole 8 due to the added soccer fields.

A couple of holes to note: Hole 4, though open, had a little downhill elevation, allowing your drive to carry a bit further. Hole 5, of course the water shot hole was fun, really a great bonus for a course this size.

I was impressed by the course once I got into it. There was enough elevation that it came into play slightly on most holes. The pond hole and the wooded holes were a nice addition to the other holes, completing the layout and adding a nice variety to the course. If I were in the area, I would stop and play again.

Westview Park

1    2/1/2010   2/1/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 8/29/2010
Pros: Nice "Rec" course for a small Iowa town. Located in a local sports complex, with two baseball diamonds.
-Plays Counter clockwise around the Ballfields. (Except Hole one)
-Concession stand, (Open seasonally)
-Varying terrain shots, up and down hills.
-One hole is a healthy throw over a pond.
-Two holes throw throw through the woods, Nice and tight.
-Five of the holes are good distance shots, throwing over 300ft in an open field.
-Good for beginners, Introducing new players and being a local small town course.
-Donnellson is along 218, exit Hwy 2 follow through town. maybe 2 miles. Easy to access from the Highway. Look for Westview Park sign on the right.
Cons: -Navigation started out a little rough, but wouldn't be an issue after playing here once.
-Tee pads were labeled as Gravel, but I Only saw gravel on the first tee. The rest were natural.
-There is no course map. (It would be a big plus, if they were to get one. But then again, once you've played here navigation shouldn't be an issue.
Other Thoughts: This course didn't have a big fun factor for me, but it was interesting and had it's challenges. The elevation does vary, and offers a wide open distance shots on the first few holes. Holes 5,6, and 7 were interesting, with a pond shot, and two wooded shots. I wouldn't drive out of my way for this course, but if I lived here or nearby I would definitely enjoy playing here.
If you are traveling, this course is easy to find. It's only a couple of miles off 218, and good for a quick round.
Address for you GPS:
approximate according to Google maps
1732 Hwy 2
Donnellson, Iowa 52625

If you go west out of Donnelllson on Hwy 2, you'll see westview park on the right. You can't miss it.

*Update: In retrospect, I think that I had suffered from "First time frustration" when I played here. Thinking back, I think that this course was better than I had initially said. It is a small course, but there are some good distance drives here. To help with the navigation for others, I have made a map and uploaded it under the "Links/Files" tab on this course page.

1    11/18/2008   1/16/2009
Review By: Keokuk Discer
Pros: Variety of shots including that pond shot. Well maintained baskets.
Cons: Too many open field holes and not nearly enough trees. Some signs missing
Other Thoughts: Overall not a bad little course. Good for a beginner to play and enjoy themselves with.