Beloit, WI

It is what it is

1    7/17/2010   7/26/2010
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: the course in a well maintained park with mature trees that does the best it can with the space that is available. The concrete tee pads are very nice, as are the signs that are available. There is a decent mix of hole lengths for a noodle arm like I myself have.

This course is very beginner friendly if no one is on the playground equipment and such. A great place to work on mids and putters.
Cons: this is not a course for advanced players or anyone looking for a challenge. Though the course does a decent job of using the trees to create what they can on holes, there just aren't enough to present any type of fun when repeating a round there.

Navigation here is a pain and made me take way longer than should have been reasonable. Between the crossing fairways, missing signs, and randomly numbered baskets, it get pretty frustrating rather quickly.

There are too many places where throwing at or near a playground or pavilion is what you need to do. One hole has a basket about 20 feet from a tennis court.
Other Thoughts: I had business in town or else I would never have stopped. If I ever play here again, it will by accident as there is no reason to ever come here multiple times unless you a local.

Old school tight little 9 holer

1    11/1/2009   11/1/2009
This review was updated on 11/22/2009
Pros: 1) Cement tee pads are always positive. It kindof surprises me, that this course had them just because of how small the course is, the limited use I expect it gets, although it is the only course in Beloit. Teepads are trapezoidal giving you a 4 foot wide area for your plant foot.

2) Nice descriptive signs where applicable. 3 or 4 of them however are just blank white and have been sharpied with a supposed alternate hole to make an 18 hole course. One sign is missing and an entire sign and sign post is missing on another hole.

3) Has a nice little area for a practice basket with stones set for a practice putting game.

4) Excellent design for the small property. The course uses the mature trees to the fullest extent creating some different lines for different people.

5) Nice exposure to the sport for a small industrial economically challenged city.

6) Very beginner friendly because of how short it is and how almost impossible it would be to lose a disc.
Cons: 1) Confusing layout, also made more difficult because some of the baskets have #'s signs and some do not. It is made even more difficult because the "alternate 9" that someone invented throwing from 1 tee to 3 basket, 7 tee to practice basket, etc etc etc is written on some of the signs that have no original hole layout on the sign to begin with.
I know it would be easy for the locals who play regularly to figure it out, but as a firsttimer I got lost twice. I am not an idiot believe it or not and it is sortof embarrassing it happened twice on a property that cant be more than a couple acres with 10 baskets!

2) Missing tee signs and a handful of blank tee signs.

3) Not sure about the neighborhood, but dont be too worried about your car . . . you are no more than a long destroyer throw from your car anyways, and you can always see it.

4) As others have said a couple of the baskets and tees are awfully close to the pavillion area and picnic tables, so if crowded with other activities, those hole might be tough to play. I can also imagine playing the "alternate 9" would be near impossible. If there were other disc golfers it would be for sure not playable.
Other Thoughts: I wanted to give this course a lower grade because of the layout and tee signs issues, but realized it would only have been trouble the first time through the course. There are some pretty decent holes on the course because of the use of the mature trees. All in all it was an average course. It mixed it up pretty well with shot requirements which is always good.

C+ = average 9 holer

1    7/2/2009   7/3/2009
Pros: This course is crammed into a very small piece of land. Major kudos to the designer for milking every ounce of potential to make several very interesting holes!

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A