Dryden, NY
TC3 Panther Highlands Share
Hole #3 Red Tee

Not bad overall, tough for beginners

1    6/25/2011   6/26/2011
Review By: softball29
Pros: On a whim, two of us drove up for the afternoon to play TC3. I had heard good things about the course and was interested in playing it. Though still within my first year of playing, I like getting a challenge and seeing what's out there.

- The course was, for the most part, easy to navigate. The signage is excellent and with most of the course being mowed recently, it was solid. You could see the baskets from most tees, so that also helped.

- Multiple tees. For someone, like myself, who isn't a long thrower or fine-tuned yet, having a shorter tee was nice (though sometimes the difference wasn't that big). The reds are still a very big challenge.

- Terrain. Though not walking mountains, I thought it was a challenge and one got a decent little workout. My pedometer showed walking just over two miles for the round, so that was nice.

- Scenic. Though some of the holes aren't of the great looking variety, some of them are incredible. I loved looking from 16 and over the mountains and into the horizon. Very pretty.

- Hole 2. This is, by far, one of my favorite holes I've played ever. I really loved it. It just has a really cool feel to it.

- The maps in the beginning of the course (in the mailbox) were excellent!
Cons: - Not beginner friendly. Though there are some really solid holes for someone to spray and miss, accuracy and some length is needed on this course. The red tees are more than 5,000 feet long, so it's still a long course.

- The final 4 or 5 holes. It got a little confusing for us. Though the signs were really good, we needed to do some bushwhacking to get to the next hole, or hopped over small streams, muddy areas and all that. Some small "board bridges" would really be helpful and might help make it safer.

- The hike from 16 to 17 is a little ridiculous as we had to duck under trees, climb over fallen trees and go through extremely tight spots. As someone who hikes, I don't mind bushwhacking at times, but this was silly. For a few moments, we wondered if we missed the right trail. Then, we got to an opening (tee for, I think, 15) and had to keep going to 17, down a short, but steep embankment (muddy after rain). The person I played with fell and it could have been bad. This could be dangerous in bad weather and should be worked on to make things better.

- I only remember seeing one or two benches and there were no garbage cans.
Other Thoughts: This was a tough course. I had a tough time several times during the round as it's tight in a lot of spots and if you get into the rough, it can be even tougher.

I'm glad I got to play the course as I've heard a lot about it. It wasn't bad, by any means, and I think the more experienced player would love it (though the person I was with is pretty experienced and was agreeing with my thoughts). It's a pretty course, seems to be well kept and it's a good place to challenge yourself. However, I'm not sure when I'd be ready for the longs as some of those were really long!

I didn't put tee pads in the pros or cons because I didn't mind them, but the person I was with had issues with them a little. They could use a little better work, for sure. But I thought they were OK. I could see where it would be tough if really slick.

Though I wouldn't rush to get up here and play again, I wouldn't veto a trip here, either. I just think I'd want to get some more time under my wings to be able to adjust to situations more. There are a lot of challenging shots on this course and even the easy looking holes can bite one in the rear.

Nice Course

1    9/19/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: elsteveo30
Pros: The Course is definitely the best in the Ithaca area! It has dual tee pads on every hole and wooden posts to delineate where the tees are located. Great use of the natural landscape with some open holes and tighter ones!
Cons: The day we played it was raining off & on and the rubber tee pads were definitely slippery. There are no tee signs but luckily I printed out the score card that had distances as well as the map. The maps on this site are no longer 100% correct b/c the construction is finished. We actually missed hole #17 :( The last few holes are a bit disjointed, but I assume that is because of the reformat.
Other Thoughts: Overall great course and much easier to follow than the Cornell course. I unfortunately lost an orange star destroyer on the left of hole #7 in the rough. Would love to get it back if you find it!

Good stuff but...

1    7/3/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: xalzan10
Pros: Very challenging shots on a number of holes. Variety of approaches necessary, with very difficult pars. Only a few easy par's.
Cons: Tough to follow the course. Even with a map it became pretty difficult. Rough in some places was dense and really tough, particularly on the back 9. Some long walks between holes. No hole maps on the signs, so a lot of guess work involved.

Not Bad...

4/4/2008   5/3/2008
Review By: PsyStal
Pros: Great variety of holes layouts and settings. Course is kept in good condition for the most part, and they did a good job working the space available. For those in Ithaca with limited time/mobility, TC3 is like paradise compared to the other local courses.
Cons: Navigating without a map is difficult. Holes were probably marked well initially, but many of the small laminated signs have fallen over or gone missing and numerous random paths dot the course. Not a great course for rollers. While the hole variety is nice, some of the hole lengths don't jive well with their layout, probably due to the very tight land restrictions. Rubber tee pads aren't my favorite (I actually prefer gravel) and most course accessories (signs, benches, etc) are cheap if not entirely missing in action. Certain holes hold water for several days after it rains.
Other Thoughts: I'm fortunate enough to have three great courses very close to my hometown in PA, so I'm a bit spoiled. TC3 is a decently designed course primarily lacking the final touches that help make a course more accessible. It's not a course I'd want to play in a tourney, but it is great for practicing a variety of shots. With just a little extra investment of time, money, and land this course could really be extraordinary, but it seems like the powers that be cut it off just shy of that point. Again though, if you're in the area this is by far the best course you're going to find. Don't waste your time at the other two Ithaca-area courses.

Do Not Eat the Apples

9/23/2007   9/23/2007
Review By: cayuga
This review was updated on 6/3/2008
Other Thoughts: I played this course today, a 65F Sunday with blue sky and persistent winds. B1 starts it off with a pond to your left. B2 presents a tree hallway. At B3, you will throw between large pines to your left and the college entrance road to your right. I met Bob and Mike at the B4 tee. Strong players, much better than I. B4 is a grassy fairway with medium thickness plant growth on both sides, and its basket is partially blocked by an apple tree. No, the apples are not fit for human consumption. B5 has a similar feel. I enjoyed this course and will play it again. It is not necessary to check-in with the TC3 Fitness Center. There is a waiver sign at B1 tee to inform you that the college is not responsible should you injure yourself. The course layout is good enough that I rarely found myself having to refer to the course map. Next tee signs and tee markers are consistent and correct, although both have a less than permanent quality as they are the "sticks in the ground and duck tape sign to sticks" type.