Dryden, NY
TC3 Panther Highlands Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 5/2011)
Hole #11 Red Tee Sign

I Wanna Be at TC3

2-4    5/2/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: esdubya
Other Thoughts: From purely a hole design standpoint, TC3 Panther Highlands is probably a 5 star course. Where it loses some of its lustre is all of the other pesky things, like long walks from basket to tee-pad, and the lack of concrete tees. I really enjoyed playing here, and look forward to my next round at TC3 Baby! Looks to be a good challenge from both sets of tees, although I played the black layout the first time.

Destination For Sure!

2-4    8/5/2011   8/18/2011
Review By: LSC player
Pros: -Great tee pads.
-Signage is very good.
-Nice variety of throws and distances.
-Scenery is a plus!
-Great overall layout.
-Holes 3 and 16 are extremely fun. Especially 16, long downhill throws are always exciting.
Cons: Very little cons... only gripes are even with a map, you can get a little confused at times. By far the worst is the walk from 16 to 17. Serious bushwhacking req'd. Also, as a bit of a DG purist, I'm not a huge fan of walking over the tee pad of 3 to get to another hole. In fact, there are a couple of other spots where the layout is a bit wonky (aka walking close to fairways of one hole to get to the tee pad of another. You might want to consider playing with a friend or two so you can spot each other. A couple of holes (hole 9 especially) almost requires one if you want to get aggressive.
Other Thoughts: Really cool course! I'd definitely recommend this course to anyone in the general area. If a couple of bridges were installed and a little bush cutting was done I could see upgrading my rating to a 4.5.

Not bad overall, tough for beginners

1    6/25/2011   6/26/2011
Review By: softball29
Pros: On a whim, two of us drove up for the afternoon to play TC3. I had heard good things about the course and was interested in playing it. Though still within my first year of playing, I like getting a challenge and seeing what's out there.

- The course was, for the most part, easy to navigate. The signage is excellent and with most of the course being mowed recently, it was solid. You could see the baskets from most tees, so that also helped.

- Multiple tees. For someone, like myself, who isn't a long thrower or fine-tuned yet, having a shorter tee was nice (though sometimes the difference wasn't that big). The reds are still a very big challenge.

- Terrain. Though not walking mountains, I thought it was a challenge and one got a decent little workout. My pedometer showed walking just over two miles for the round, so that was nice.

- Scenic. Though some of the holes aren't of the great looking variety, some of them are incredible. I loved looking from 16 and over the mountains and into the horizon. Very pretty.

- Hole 2. This is, by far, one of my favorite holes I've played ever. I really loved it. It just has a really cool feel to it.

- The maps in the beginning of the course (in the mailbox) were excellent!
Cons: - Not beginner friendly. Though there are some really solid holes for someone to spray and miss, accuracy and some length is needed on this course. The red tees are more than 5,000 feet long, so it's still a long course.

- The final 4 or 5 holes. It got a little confusing for us. Though the signs were really good, we needed to do some bushwhacking to get to the next hole, or hopped over small streams, muddy areas and all that. Some small "board bridges" would really be helpful and might help make it safer.

- The hike from 16 to 17 is a little ridiculous as we had to duck under trees, climb over fallen trees and go through extremely tight spots. As someone who hikes, I don't mind bushwhacking at times, but this was silly. For a few moments, we wondered if we missed the right trail. Then, we got to an opening (tee for, I think, 15) and had to keep going to 17, down a short, but steep embankment (muddy after rain). The person I played with fell and it could have been bad. This could be dangerous in bad weather and should be worked on to make things better.

- I only remember seeing one or two benches and there were no garbage cans.
Other Thoughts: This was a tough course. I had a tough time several times during the round as it's tight in a lot of spots and if you get into the rough, it can be even tougher.

I'm glad I got to play the course as I've heard a lot about it. It wasn't bad, by any means, and I think the more experienced player would love it (though the person I was with is pretty experienced and was agreeing with my thoughts). It's a pretty course, seems to be well kept and it's a good place to challenge yourself. However, I'm not sure when I'd be ready for the longs as some of those were really long!

I didn't put tee pads in the pros or cons because I didn't mind them, but the person I was with had issues with them a little. They could use a little better work, for sure. But I thought they were OK. I could see where it would be tough if really slick.

Though I wouldn't rush to get up here and play again, I wouldn't veto a trip here, either. I just think I'd want to get some more time under my wings to be able to adjust to situations more. There are a lot of challenging shots on this course and even the easy looking holes can bite one in the rear.

Endless possibilities

1    5/23/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes with 2 tee pads for each hole. Great signs that show distance and hole layout. Small arrows on the baskets help direct you to the next tee. There are also a few signs in key locations directing you tomthe next hole.

A well maintained course with a ball golf feel. The freshly mowed grass fairways made me feel like I should have been wearing a collared shirt.

Fairways were well defined and trails and walkways were clear. No interference from other activities or campus users. Just nice, neat and clean. A beautiful course.

Course has trees and woods, but plays mostly in the open.

2 holes near the pond and several that use small creeks to add risk.
Cons: Rubber tee pads that were uneven and sometimes slick with dried grass. Concrete pads would be nice.

While there is trees and woods the fairways for the most part are open or wide. You are usually not
forced to hit a certain line or angle. There is a pretty wide margin for error on most holes.

Basket positions could be used better in some areas to add challenge or risk to the holes. Several of the baskets are in very open areas. While there are 2 holes that play near the pond, 1 and 18, neither is close enough to the water to add risk to the hole. Only a truly errant shot will take a swim.

A couple long walks between holes. Transitions could be better. In a couple spots I think I saw the chupacabra beast hidden in the woods. Bring water, food, and something to do while you're wandering down the paths. From hole 10 to 11 and from 16 to 17 is where you get to wander through the woods.
Other Thoughts: There were a few holes that really stood out as fun at this course.

#3 is a nice, long 520' shot off a small hill. There are some scattered trees in the fairway and an OB road to the right. Pretty cool

#7 is a blind 460' hole that tightens toward the basket which is perched on a small hillside.

#9 could be the most challenging hole on the course. It is 560' and forces you to hit a narrow gap about halfway down the fairway. And both side are lined with a very nasty rough. Get off the fairway and you are in trouble. Just a really good hole.

#16 is a fun 385' shot off a big hill that let's you watch your disc fly through a fairway of small trees toward the basket. Feel free to empty your bag on that one. It's a blast.

Over all I was pretty impressed with this course. With a few minor tweaks and improvements this could be a true championship caliber course. Just beware of the chupacabra on those long walks through the woods.

Nice Course

1    9/19/2010   9/29/2010
Review By: elsteveo30
Pros: The Course is definitely the best in the Ithaca area! It has dual tee pads on every hole and wooden posts to delineate where the tees are located. Great use of the natural landscape with some open holes and tighter ones!
Cons: The day we played it was raining off & on and the rubber tee pads were definitely slippery. There are no tee signs but luckily I printed out the score card that had distances as well as the map. The maps on this site are no longer 100% correct b/c the construction is finished. We actually missed hole #17 :( The last few holes are a bit disjointed, but I assume that is because of the reformat.
Other Thoughts: Overall great course and much easier to follow than the Cornell course. I unfortunately lost an orange star destroyer on the left of hole #7 in the rough. Would love to get it back if you find it!

A gem mid state NY

2-4    6/11/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: simpletwist
This review was updated on 6/16/2010
Pros: This is a true gem of a course in a very nice setting. It has something for everyone except the most casual of players. It was the recent setting for the NYS Senior Games. And the course was in excellent shape. Very well defined fairways but this grooming may have been specifically for the games. I believe the new construction is complete and all baskets are in their final locations.

- This course puts accuracy at a premium. If you are off the fairway you are in the rough, and I do mean rough. Very thick vegatation with hidden creeks, bogs, ditches and more. There are some out of bounds and if you are in the rough, you'd wish you went out of bounds.
- Nice mix up of tight and open holes with plenty of opportunities to grip it and rip it.
- Number 9 is the hole from hell. A par 10 and maybe I'll birdie some day. Seriously, this is a tough one. Up hill and long. There is a hidden creek/ditch just off the fairway to the left and the fairway shinks to less than 15 feet wide in places.
- With well placed shots there are a lot of dueces to be had and there are some ace runs.
- No crowds, and based on the lack of damage to the trees and shrubs this course is very under utilized.
- There are some homemade benches throughout the course.
- Tees signs were helpful if not completely accurate.
- Very nice score cards and maps at # 1.
- Rubber tee pads are like new.
- Some nice elevation changes; excellent use of the available terrain.
Cons: - Not sure if the course is finished yet.
- The tee signs are informative but do not look permanent.
- Not an accurate distance listed for number 17, the tee sign says 246 from the short tees but looks more like 500.
- No garbage cans, but there is almost no litter.
- Some long traverses between some holes and the trek from 17 to 18 is almost impossible to follow for a first timer.
- Not sure what the triple mando is on # 2. But no one else knew either.
- Many, many woodchuck, gopher or other critter holes throughout the course. VERY dangerous.
Other Thoughts: This is a beautiful course in a very relaxed setting. And you owe it to yourself to check out this gem in mid state NY.

Home

5+    1/7/2010   1/9/2010
Review By: alx133
Pros: - Dual tees that actually change the feel of the course substantially
- Beautifully maintained course; even through the summer when classes are not in session
- Big, and challenging holes
- 17 is a huge bomb of a hole off of some serious elevation
Cons: - without a guide the first time through will be difficult for most to follow.
- the walk from 17 to 18 or old 16
- tee pads are not level
- no wooded holes
Other Thoughts: -This course is only getting the 3.5 because of the disruption in its flow that was caused by the expansion of TC3's buildings. The walk between holes 17 and 18 is truly asinine.
-I have been hearing about expansion at this course for years now, no doubt there is plenty of room for it, not to mention expansion would hopefully fill the gaps between some of the holes.
-Old 16 is still in the ground and is a sweet hole.
- It is rare to see other players out on this course which is a shame. this course is excellent and worth playing to be sure. I have never met a student playing disc golf here in my 4 years of playing this course.

- this course is definitely worth playing even if technical courses are what you desire. one of the better courses in the CNY/Finger Lakes area

Good stuff but...

1    7/3/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: xalzan10
Pros: Very challenging shots on a number of holes. Variety of approaches necessary, with very difficult pars. Only a few easy par's.
Cons: Tough to follow the course. Even with a map it became pretty difficult. Rough in some places was dense and really tough, particularly on the back 9. Some long walks between holes. No hole maps on the signs, so a lot of guess work involved.

my baby

5+    7/8/2009   1/24/2009
Review By: 80playedin10states
This review was updated on 10/15/2009
Pros: well groomed and great baskets, 2 sets of tees..you will need all your shots here. some nice use of the elevation(hole 17 is now 525' and reachable with a great shot) and there is a pond and a little creek that runs thru a few holes..
Cons: lack of signage and cement...still "under construction"..rubber pads arent the best but they are better than dirt/mud.may need spotter(holes 5,7,9,13) if you find yourself off the fairway...very dense rough(disc eating)...could be a little confusing to follow for a first timer but the baskets are numbered and there are next tee arrows on the bottoms of the baskets..
Other Thoughts: i play here often so im biased, but could use some tlc(money) to make the course a true 4-5..of course the pictures dont do it justice. if you start on hole 2, you will finish your "front 9" after hole 10(both holes are within yards of the parking lot). there are a few longer than short walks from hole to hole, but for me this isn't a con.. there is a path completed from 17's basket to 18 as of 7/11/09...still kind of rough..it comes out behind 14's basket...a short stroll to 18's tees..course records are 44 and 50..SIGNAGE ON THE WAY

Best course in the Ithaca area

1    10/14/2008   10/16/2008
Review By: metis314159
Pros: Well groomed and signage is okay, but not great. The course has decent elevation changes and most of the holes have their own unique feel (you are not just playing the same hole with different distances every time).
Cons: Certain tees are bumpy, not flat. Rough/OB is pretty punishing in areas. Hole 16 - the fairway is basically the walking path, but it is so short that you can recover almost any shot and still get par.
Other Thoughts: The current hole 17 is excellent with lots of elevation change, though the hole could be further away.