Dubuque, IA
4 / --   4 / --   3 / --   3 / 375ft. Par / Distance:

Kicked my butt

1    9/5/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: koogs
Pros: Excellent variety in a very hilly, wooded setting. Seemed like almost as many right turning holes as left turning. Big uphill and downhill holes. Narrow and straight as well as more wide open with well placed obstacles. The more throws you can make, the better. Even your lesser used shots like rollers could come in handy here.
Concrete pads, decent tee signs, baskets were all in good shape. Trash cans and benches were seen often enough.
Cons:
Some of the tee pads were sloped badly, maybe the worst I've ever played on. I didn't think this would be as much of a problem as it turned out to be.
Navigation was definitely not easy. Crisscrossing fairways and shared fairways and sometimes there were baskets seemingly in the fairways other than the basket you're shooting for. Not a great layout.
If you throw into the rough, be prepared to get scratched up a little. Everything seemed to have thorns on it.
Other Thoughts: I played this course with my son, which really helped as far as spotting on the blind holes. Playing it solo would be a nightmare.
Another reviewer said that every hole could yield a deuce, but I can't see that at all. This was a very tough course. Maybe I just had a bad day, but according to my scorecard, this was the toughest course I've ever played. But, despite how poorly I played the course, I really liked it and if it weren't so far away, I'd play it again, soon, to try and get my revenge on it.
If not for the sloped tee pads and the confusing layout, I would give it a 4, but those issues made it a 3.5 for me.

Great design great challenge, but requires too much luck

1    8/28/2010   8/29/2010
Pros: 1) Large concrete tees are necessary on this course.

2) Discatcher baskets are in good shape and catch well.

3) Benches and garbage cans available in sports throughout the course.

4) Nice bridge and steps going from #2 to 3. Well dont craftsmanship for a disc golf course.

5) Nice big concrete sign pointing to the disc golf course is a welcome sign as you pull in.

6) Practice basket is available in the valley near #1 tee.

7) This course will challenge all skill levels. There are many places where beginners will struggle. Some really tight fairways surrounded by really thick buckthorn ons loping fairways lead to a whole bunch of trouble.

8) You will need to bring every shot in your bag. some short holes, some long, some range from fairly open to really tight. You need to work the discs both directions so have a straight throw, hyzer, and an anny or flick will go a long ways here.
Cons: 1) Buckthorn along the fairways is thick and creates all sorts of problems. If you don't keep it in the fairway be prepared to search for your discs and also be prepared to just throw out a few times around. In my opinion this is the biggest issue I have with this course.

2) Sloping compacted soil fairways create all sorts of rollaways. This is also a big issue on a lot of shots. This creates a situation where controlled mid range shots are going to do better than threading the needle with your drivers. While this is ok, it becomes a negative in my opinion because it makes luck too much of a factor in scoring here.

3) Many of the teepads are on uneven surfaces. They have slopes which really alter your arm angles. It is something I am not really used to, nor do I know how to adapt to sloped teepads.

4) There are many places where you could easily get lost on your own. Directional signage would be helpful in multiple locations because of the confusing layout in a few spots. Fortunately they do have tee signs that you can at least figure out where you are.

5) I had to walk down fairways to find some baskets because they are blind and I wanted to know where I was throwing. Blind holes are ok on occassion but it is nice to have maps on the tee signs that help you figure out where the baskets are. Alternate pin positions are also not indicated.

6) There are a few locations where there are tees and baskets in close proximity to throwing lanes. SOme are on errant teeshots but there are also some shots that on the intended line you might be in danger on another hole.

7) Erosion around some teepads and other areas on this course are a problem. There are some major dranage issues in a few spots.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course because it presents a challenge for everyone. Beginners might not want to play here because they will be very frustrated by errant shots, searching for discs, and just the overall challenge. The maintenance of the fairways was sufficient especially since the area has had a lot of rain this summer.

I wanted to give this course a 4, because it is well designed, fun to make the required shots, but the luck issue plays too much of a role in your score here. The teepads and some of the erosion problems are also enough to force me to give this a 3.5 The locals won't like this rating, but it will means it is in my top 50 or so courses (out of 200). I simply think that the issues are enough to knock this course down.

Backyard fun

7/9/2008   7/16/2008
Review By: lharris
Pros: Challenging, long course with many opportunities to hone skills.
Cons: Easy to lose discs. Extremely dense forest and narrow fairways that aren't always kept trimmed back makes this course even more difficult when vegetation grows out.
Other Thoughts: Right in my backyard, really nice course and fun to play!