Salt Lake City, UT
Creekside Park Share
Uploaded By: NoahPeterson Hole #16 (Taken 12/2011)
3 / 207ft.   3 / 244ft.   3 / 253ft.   3 / 262ft. Par / Distance:

THE BEST COURSE EVER!!!!!!!

5+    7/11/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: ryan ranes
This review was updated on 7/13/2010
Pros: there are so many psotions on ever hole now the lowest is 2 and the most is is 6 positions on one hole and tight fariways a couple of mandos on 13 long and short and mandy and 11 we have 2 new holes to the course betewwen 3 and 4 they are called 3-A 3-B. there are alot of shots rigth next to the creek so almost the hole course u can risk losing discs the course is a more accurate player in mind and over grown trees and u dont stay on the fairway ur SCREWED. this is my homecourse and im very blessed to live right across the street. with awsome cement teepads and signs we mow it every 2 weeks there is water by the first hole theres a practice basket
Cons: the only bad thing i can say it gets way to crowded
Other Thoughts: play tuesday doubles 5:00- 6:30 some time throught out the year is when we tee off
I have aced 14A 5/6/10 dx viking for my first ace 13Short twice champ groove 167 13th ace then with a discraft impact on 6/28/10 for my 19th ace 13 mandy champion orc for my 3rd ace 8/22/09 gumbputt for my 5th ace 10/09/09 the flx drone for my 8th ace 1/22/10
10A on 1/17/10 with a champion valkyrie for my 7th ace then 3b-a for my 15th ace with a first run cro on 5/31/10

A Solid SLC Option

1    7/1/2010   7/7/2010
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -Course setting and hole design. Parts of the course are heavily wooded with the baskets wedged in the trees (use a guide...some of the baskets are a chore to locate) and other parts are more wide open. The open holes require lots of three-dimensional planning. Many are on the top or side of steep hills. 200' rolls after missing a 30' putt are not uncommon. Not a cheap or easy hole to be found at Creekside.
-Water in play. Moving water. Water that will wisp your plastic away, never to be seen again. Sometimes it's between the thrower and the target. Other times its directly behind the target, making for some interesting up-shot restrictions. The signature hole is a shorty (about 260') with 3/4 of that distance over wooded water.
-Accurate tee signs denoting multiple pin locations. I understand the baskets are rotated regularly.
-Solid, clean concrete tees
-Plenty of parking
-Practice basket near tee one
-Restrooms near tee one
Cons: -Cottonwoods everywhere. Apparently I am highly allergic to them. :(
-Some weird course flow. The area that houses holes 4-6 is a cluster-****. Can't see the people teeing off on hole five until they are actually on the tee due to the hills. There is a real risk of some yahoo cracking you on the back of the head as you tee off on six (said yahoo missed me by about an ear's width). Equally his fault and whom ever decided to put a tee right in the MAIN FLIGHT LINE of the previous hole. Expect a wait here and around holes seven and eight (which, for all intents and purposes, use the same fairway). Serious course flow problems.
-Crowds. Yahoos who throw before one is finished putting and whose dogs start barking at you when you putt, no owner to be seen. This is a popular spot and the crowds weren't as bad as I had anticipated, but the people I encountered were rudely unaware of course etiquette and resistant to learning/practicing it.
Other Thoughts: Creekside has a lot going for it. Medium sized steep hills add a note of texture to the overall flat course. Trees and holes to thread galore. The water is cold and flowing fast, perfect respite from the summer heat.
Play early to avoid the legions of noobz that appear to run the course.
This course contains many really great holes and I struggled giving it the rating I did. The hole design, when looked at individually, hole by hole, is second to none. Elevation changes and tight wooded fairways make for some really fun line selection. To play this course with nobody around is the way to go.
That said, I understand that this course has crowding issues. It wasn't all that crowded when I played it, but the guys behind us were playing up our bums and didn't want to play through. I can't imagine a course full of that type of yahoo. It's actually my vision of the sixth level of hell. Combine that caliber of yahoo with the dangerous course design and I don't see how it can get a better grade than a 3.5 disc.
Do yourself a favor. Play this course at the crack of dawn. Preferably with a guide. But play it. One of the best courses in the area...one best enjoyed in as much solitude as possible.:)

Awesome except crowded

1    5/26/2010   6/26/2010
Review By: Topher
Pros: -great mix of simple and technical shots
-great use of existing trees and brush
-you only have to throw over the creek once, which is good because it can get relatively deep and is quite swift
-my experience was the people were very friendly
-multiple possible pin locations
Cons: -HUGE CROWDS
-kind of hard to locate next tee/basket on some holes
Other Thoughts: I would have rated this as a 4.5 or 5 if it wasn't for the crowds and the layout. I have never had to wait 10-20 minutes to play before.. My group played twice, once early in the morning and we didn't have to wait, and then again at around noon and we had 2-3 groups we'd have to wait on before we could tee off. The layout was a tad confusing about 3/4 of the way through, but I played with a buddy who had played there recently so we didn't end up throwing out of order or to the wrong baskets.

I highly recommend this course to anyone, but I also highly recommend you go in the early morning and on weekdays as this seems to be the best way to avoid crowds.

The Heart of SLC's Disc Golf Scene

5+    6/25/2010   6/26/2010
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: Challenging, frequent changes in basket position, good mix of open and tight, excellent use of elevation and water, weekly doubles tourney (Tuesdays 5:30-6:30 start), jogging stroller friendly (if you can push it up the hill on 4 anyway), nice playground, well-groomed if you stay on the fairway
Cons: Crowded-worst course I've ever played for crowding actually, overlapping fairways create hazards and slow things down more, thick schule in some places for a course in a desert, not too hard to lose a disc in the creek, baskets need numbers on top as multiple baskets are sometimes visible from one tee and with the frequent rotation...I've played to the wrong basket several times, steep drop-offs at end of tee, several cracked/broken tees need replaced, no singles mini-tourneys, minis are fairly disorganized-no plastic payout for lower division- Some of the worst organization I've seen for such a big turnout, little use for overhand throws given canopy on most holes
Other Thoughts: This will be my home course for the foreseeable future. A few improvements like numbers on baskets, position indicators on updated tee signs, fixed tees etc would go a long way to improving the course. Actually, putting up another really good course in SLC would do more to improve the experience than anything else. My biggest beef is everyone plays there, a little like Z-Boaz in DFW. I'm not used to 2+ hour solo rounds and 3+ hour mini-tourneys. Yuch! I played at 9 am on a weekday and there were at least 8 other groups on the course-mostly singles, but by 2 or 3 pm, they'll be much larger groups. Before moving to SLC this summer I had only played it in the winter and it was a much better experience. Less foliage, better chance at retrieving discs out of the river, and most importantly, less people.

Like I said, my home course so I better get to work now I guess. It's still the course to play in SLC if you're just passing through. Could be a 4 with a few improvements.

Favorite hole is 1...love starting off with a long toss off a hill. Not representative of the course though. You'll need much better accuracy on the rest of the course.

2-4    5/26/2010   5/27/2010
Review By: JMONEY
Pros: Strictly a DGC park with large parking lot, practice basket and restrooms next to first tee. Nice manicured fairways and some nice tunnel shots with elevation changes, blind pin placements and very little under brush. Great water hazards are present on several holes. Maintained and kept clean.
Cons: Is crowded on the weekend and a surge of people usually arrives around lunch time (11:30) during the weekdays.
Navigation is challenging with no pin locators on tee signs.
Course layout can be dangerous or causes wait time on the tee pads while others reverse back up towards you or criss cross; like holes # 5&6, 7&8, 9&10
Erosion and course use is evident around most tee pads allowing water to puddle up and same goes for a few baskets.
Some tee pads are cracked or have cracked corners.
Other Thoughts: When I first played this course as I mentioned navigating can be a challenge if nobody is around to help you out. With the lack of pin locators to show where the basket and the integrity of the tee signs being bland it was frustrating. I would see all the different pin placement options and the beautiful terrain in front of me but, didn't know where exactly to throw towards! The second time I played it was much more enjoyable and the locals are friendly and helpful I just happened to show up at dusk the first time I played.
The ground is hardened clay and may hurt your game near the creek or help as in a skip up to the basket.
I did play the course after a very wet stormy day and then again shortly after and realized that the puddles are a problem here and could be fixed up with some D1 or D2 gravel. One basket had a puddle of water that circled the entire basket from about 4 ft out; if you missed it was in the mud. Overall this is a fun course and would highly suggest if you are in the area this is a must play as its one of Utah's many fine courses!

Good - Too Crowded Though

1    3/2/2010   3/5/2010
Review By: themontage
Pros: Multiple tee positions, Concrete tee pads, a wide variety of options for playing shots (rollers, FH, etc).
They usually changes the pins often, while we were playing they changed the layout on us during our second round. Well maintained.
Cons: Not very long, Very crowded, tight adjacent fairways, little or no "heads up" for incoming discs. Improvements to the tee signs would be helpful, some of them don't have the multiple pin positions or distances on them. Next tee signs would be helpful too. Lots of holes had similar shot layout (250-350) left to right shots. Would have liked to have seen more of a mix than a run of similar shots.
Other Thoughts: It was a fun course, but could be played only FH (most players I saw there did), could be a +/- depending how you look at it. The course was just way to crowded, I was there on a tues at 11:00 AM and there were tons of people there and it tends to grow more crowded as the afternoon comes in.
The locals will help out though, with helping you find next tee, pins, etc. The map on tudg.org is somewhat helpful, but is still a little misleading.

Da Crick!

5+    9/27/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: NothinButChing
Pros: The most diverse course Salt Lake has in the city.

Trees, elevation, park goers, passing cars and even water add to the hazards on this course (pros since none are BAD hazards).

Constantly maintained course, possibly the most cared for course in valley.

Holes are re-positioned regularly, so course in always a changing challenge.

Friendly regulars that will help you with new pin locations, areas to search in the river for lost discs, course subtlties, etc.

Parking.
Cons: HUGE groups tend to frequent the course at the same time, which can slow a duo or group of 3 down immensely.

When crowded keep a heads up, not everyone yells fore! Luckily, only cars n trees hit so far.

Basically every tee pad has a significant mud puddle to avoid when throwing. Kitty litter could go long way when spring rolls around.

Trash Cans need to emptied more often, unfortunately. A couple more trash cans should be added too.
Other Thoughts: Has a great "signature" hole where you actually throw over the creekside, not too hard and actually more fun every time you play!

Tuesday nights are restricted to doubles competition, so can't play without fee n doubles partner.

Alcohol fine is astronomical and a narc has been rumored to be on site as well.

Have seen an arrest while playing the course, but was prob for something he was burning not drinking ;)

Boy Scouts need to redo the course signs for each hole. Some damaged, others inaccurate.

Home Course

5+    8/31/2009   9/1/2009
Review By: tstack10
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros: This maybe a little biased since this is my home course.

First off it is very well maintained by the county and many of the locals.

The tee boxes are all concrete which is great but can be slippery when dusty or wet.

Each hole has several differnt locaitons that are moved fairly often to give you a ton of different looks to the course depedning on location.

Makes for a variety of differnt shot from very long to tight mandatory holes through some wooded areas.

Signs made by local boy scouts give little map and distance not sure on accuracy.
Cons: Since it is good course can become very busy with big groups.

Newbies usually let ya play through but some of the locals are not so kind (not all of them, most are great!!)

Fairways can sometimes overlap allowing for fores being yelled though never seen anyone hit.

Need more trashcans and need to be dumped more often.

Other Thoughts: **course has set up two extra holes 3a and 3b after regular hole 3. After finishing 3 head north to dense trees for two tight holes with two different basket locations. A goes north and b comes back to 4. Hope they keep these holes in and not just for tournament this weekend 5/1**

Favorite holes #14 siganture creekside shot over the creek. Can be disc catcher when water is high and fast BE CAREFUL (almost lost my dog)

Some parts of course and boxes overlap which could be confusing but there should be plenty of people there to help ya along the way.

WATCH OUT Seen five-o out there quite often, maybe some narc in green truck at course.Heard of uc's out there never seen and 750 on the spot for drinking.

PLEASE PICK UP YOUR DOGS POOP

Creekside in Holladay Utah

2-4    7/31/2009   8/2/2009
Review By: successwarrior
Pros: The trees and the creek make for some tough approaches. On the day we went, the tee placement for some of the shots made birdies almost impossible, which we liked.
Cons: The course criss-crosses in places and not all the pads are labeled so you might find yourself confused the first time through. There were plenty of locals the day we went so we just asked for directions and they were glad to guide us in the right direction.

Some of the criss-crosses meant that you had to wait for players on one teepad to throw before you could throw on your teepad.

The course is set up tight. "Fore" is yelled a lot because disks end up on other fairways and teepads often.
Other Thoughts: The course is set up to be a challenging par 3 course but it seemed that the holes were too close together and there were a lot of players on the day that we went (which was a Thursday at 1:00 pm). Our second time through, we ended up behind a group of 8 that didn't offer to let the two of us play through.

We had a fun time and the course was challenging with all the low hanging branches.

SLC's Best Park Course

1    7/1/2009   7/3/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course played around a very nice park in a great part of Salt Lake City. The course has great variety with some really interesting shots with most of the challenge being mental. There is a good deal of variety with length and shot selection. There are some longer tees for a few holes. Interesting pin placements made you think about approach shots, specifically those holes by the creek.
Cons: The creek that runs through the park and part of the course was moving very swiftly and would make it difficult to retrieve wet discs, particularly an issue on hole 14 where you have to throw over the creek. It is harder to figure out the long tees unless you know the course well enough to know which tee goes with what hole. There were too many easy par or you should birdie this hole to give it any better of a rating. Only a couple of very minor navigation problems, the worst of which was finding hole 14 which did not have a tee sign. I ran in too a good amount of disc traffic on this course though that only confirms my suspicion that for serious players this is the best course in the city. A few of the holes are built right on top of eachother.
Other Thoughts: This is one of those courses that you just feel like you should have shot better than you actually did because of all the challenge that it did provide you still think you should have shto better. 14 is the signature hole, forcing you to throw over the creek which with all the recent rain was moving really fast. The city parks department does not want anyone going in the creek and have posted signs to make you aware of that fact. Hole one is near the bathrooms.