Eagle, ID
Eagle Island State Park Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #8 (Taken 11/2010)
3 / 464ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #8 Approach

Winter fun

2-4    3/28/2013   12/18/2013
Review By: idahooldguy
Pros: Front (summer) 9 has a safari feel. If you prefer groomed lawns, you won't like this ("Con" for some players).
Challenging holes, hard to score low here.
Water near many holes will force accuracy.
Back (winter) 9 has some interesting holes including a cool downhill signature hole with the basket at the water's edge.
Good workout, front 9 is pretty long for a 9-hole.
Cons: I've only played in winter, but I've heard that the brush is thick in the summer.
Water hazards will punish bad shots.
$5 entry fee (most locals buy the season state park pass for $10)
Winter holes are hard to navigate the first time.
Ice on the pond can create a tough disc retrieval in cold weather.
Other Thoughts: LHBH's would love the front 9. I wonder if a leftie designed this course. I would play this in the winter to avoid the brush and get a full 18 holes. I like to combine it with Settler's Park in Meridian to make a nice day trip. I have yet to score under par on the front 9, but I like this challenge. I'm going to keep trying until I break par here. The back 9 has more birdie chances.

Winter better than Summer

5+    1/1/2012   6/2/2012
Review By: Salki12
Pros: Winter is much better than Summer for this course. Winter is good because it takes 9 of the baskets from Bogus Basin and sets them up in the front of the park, around the water slide area. Some technical shots through trees, a shot up hill, and way down the hill from the water slide to the lake side. The grass for the winter course is very well kept, and it is nice to play on. Lake edge is shallow to retrieve discs in. Back 9 in the winter is nice because the brush is mostly dead and you can find your discs easier. An overall fun course to play in the Winter.
Cons: Course plays the back 9 in the Summer, getting some pretty nasty overgrowth around the back of the lake. Some of the holes have rough that swallows discs, making them very hard to find. The park requires an entry fee, which could be inconvenient, though my family usually has a season pass because of horse back riding. They need to buy 9 more baskets and have an 18 hole year round course.
Other Thoughts: Have 18 holes year round, keep the brush down in the summer, it would make the summer course so much more fun. Take care with the lake, you will lose discs, and someone will find them eventually. I gave the course a 3 because I like the Winter course, I would give the summer a 2 or a 2.5.

Very pleasant and surprisingly challenging

1    4/30/2011   5/7/2011
Review By: cefire
Pros: Challenging: Its not ultra-challenging but several holes do require skillful shots to avoid 'thick-enough' brushy areas. Distance and powerful shots are needed right from the get go with hole one requiring a strong RHBH turnover which cannot fade out. There are also several other holes where a big bomb over smaller trees or down longer fairways will payoff in lower scores and bonus birdies.

Beauty: This course has a certain beauty that reminds me a lot of the midwest - lots of marshy areas, deeper grassy areas, and low trees some of which look like old orchard areas. Eagle Island Park isn't overly scenic, but just enough to enjoy on your walk through the course.

Replay-factor: This is only my impression from playing the course through but the land seems pretty optimal to nice safari layouts with scattered trees, hills, and the lake. Additional pin placements also help ensure to hold the repeat player's interest at least for a few trips out.
Cons: Middling hole distances: There are a few holes at Eagle Island that I feel might be starting to be eclipsed by newer disc technology. On the worst examples, what may have once been a really nice par four hole is now a 'tweener' hole which will nearly always yield an easy three with only massive errors resulting in fours (and a huge arm needed for the rare two).

There is a fairly long walkout which may only apply to the summer course. This isn't really a big problem for me and it is probably worth the chance to play the winter 18 but some folks may not appreciate the extended trip back to the car.
Other Thoughts: It is a bit tough to rate this course after only seeing the winter layout, but overall, I was pleasantly surprised with the challenge and rather nice hole design. This course is definitely worth a play if you are headed through the area and ranks much better than most of the other area courses for players of all skill levels.

Summer Course

1    4/29/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: I played the Summer course (nine holes) while I was here so my rating might be kind of low and my review will only be for the first nine holes. The course plays around the lake and Eagle Island. Many holes have incorporated the lake to come into play to add to the challenge but with that being said I can only see losing a disc if you make a really bad throw, otherwise you should be alright. The course that I played (Summer nine) was more rugged and bushy than the other side of the park that had nice manicured green grass and hills with picnic tables around. Even though the course was a little brushy we didn't have any issues searching for lost discs. Some of the holes like number six which comes to mind right away could have the basket moved back a little ways to create a par four or a more challenging par 3 hole to advanced players but most of the fairways and baskets were chosen wisely. Duel pins and nice baskets are in place that should keep the course fun to you and somewhat challenging, this course is better suited for advanced players. Unlike the previous reviewers I found that navigation was fairly simple just looking for the tee pads and signs I usually found them within a couple of seconds.
Cons: The multiple basket locations are nice but the tee signs do not do a good enough job of showing you where they are as there are a couple of blind pins so you are going to have to walk the hole to see where to go. I really wish that I could have played the back nine holes because judging by the pictures these look like the best of the bunch and more than likely would have made my rating of this course higher. It's a shame that the course gets too busy in the Summer that they have to take our half of the course. $5 to play might not be worth it to some people for only nine holes.
Other Thoughts: While we were there the part of the course where the back nine plays through was being used by Civil War people who had a huge crowd of people watching them as they fired off blank canon rounds toward the water which was pointed our way. You could feel the blast even from several hundred feet away and it was a little scary. Overall this is a decent stop on your way to Boise but if the Summer course is only playable you may want to skip it and head out to Ann Morrison.

1    4/6/2011   4/13/2011
Review By: Trav
Pros: Was able to play the full 18 prior to the TVC. Great layout with couple very unique holes Front 9 (seasonal) are pretty short and wide open. Back 9 is much more difficult with some tough distance mixed in.
Cons: Absolutely horrible to Navigate on the front 9. Flags were out, but it's pretty tight and had trouble knowing which flags were for which holes. Back 9 was much easier to navigate.
Other Thoughts: Many of the tee pads are torn pretty severly. Would like to see them replaced. Overall a fun course.

I quite enjoyed the place

1    10/23/2010   10/24/2010
Review By: doompaul
Pros: - some really nice shots where you can open up.
- hole 16 is a great "off the top of a hill" shot
- the course was fairly well maintained.
- the water hazards were well used and created a challenge, but not an "oh sh*t" moment.
Cons: - there were a lot of shots that felt like luck due to throwing through heavy trees.
- the course design was good, but I could see if it was a busy day where there could be crossed paths.
- a few holes were just...strangely designed.
- $5 per car.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed myself here. The park was empty, joined by some good friends, hey. can't complain.

1    9/10/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: High Flyer
Pros: With the addition of the holes on the south side (late fall through spring), this might deserve an extra star on the rating (I'm partial to grassy hills, what can I say). The north side can be challenging, some tight shots between trees and a water hazard. Good map, pick one up on the way in.
Cons: The water looks a little less than appealing if you ever lost one in there. Plan on getting a little dirty on the north side, but if you're into the nature, I'm sure you won't mind.
Other Thoughts: Plenty of other activities in the park, not just disc golf.

Summer 9

1    7/2/2009   7/2/2009
Review By: blakeob
Pros: Challenging.
Good baskets.
Cons: Access to the park is $4. During the summer when only 9 holes are up it doesn't quite seem worth it.
Other Thoughts: I'm used to Ann Morrison's wide open holes and smooth clean grass, so this was a bit of a challenge. My wife and I are probably higher end rec level players, and we had a heck of a time shooting par on most of the holes our first time through. I would be really interested to try this course in the winter.