Ashtabula, OH
Hole #7 White/Blue Tee

Over the Hills and Far Away

2-4    6/8/2014   6/10/2014
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) Concrete tees
2) 3 sets of tees on many holes
3) 2 sets of targets on some holes
4) Numerous elevation changes
5) Stunningly scenic
6) Beach with bikini clad babes everywhere
Cons: 1) High park goer traffic
2) Lack of true dog leg holes
3) Goose poop
Other Thoughts: Wow. I traveled quite a distance to play this course blind at the Shoot the Breeze Open and I'm glad I did. What a course. Over two days, I got to shoot red tee to short target, white tee to long target, and blue tee to short target, so I got a good taste of the whole course.

The first thing I noticed upon entering the park were the hills. This course has an amazing amount of elevation changes, especially for one right on the shores of Lake Erie. These hills make up for the lack of severe dog leg holes that make other courses get high ratings. The hills add the challenge that the dog legs would normally provide. You could have a great drive, but your disc rolls down the hill. Or you could try a putt on a target perched on the crest of a hill and have it roll 50' away if you miss. This adds excitement and challenge.

The next thing I noticed was the expert placement of the tees. Because this course is on rolling hills with scattered deciduous trees, it's kind of an open style course; however, the tees are placed in such a way to force shot shaping through the trees that are there and with the shape of the hills as well. Hole 3 comes to mind.

The next huge draw for this course is the scenery. The course is located on very hilly property, but in between the course and the water is a flat strip of land with a beach. This allows for some incredible views of Lake Erie while you play. Hole 16's basket is perched high up on a hill with a breathtaking view of Lake Erie in the background. Hole 17's tees allow for a similar view. Hole 1 has you starting right by the beach, giving you optimal views of the hot babes that are present during the warmer months.

My only real complaint with the course is that on a few holes you are a little close to the public for my taste. Hole 3's blue tee is right next to a road. Hole 11's basket is right next to a road. Hole 13 has walkways alongside and criss-crossing through the fairway, hole 18's red tee is right next to a picnic shelter, etc. Just be careful and aware and you should be fine, but you might have some distractions to deal with (When I was teeing off on hole 17, some guy started leaf blowing the shelter right beside me to use for some family outing) and some time to wait for people to get out of your way.

The other complaint is the huge amount of goose poop. Not going to ding the course rating a whole lot for me, but I certainly don't like walking through it and don't relish the idea of my disc landing in it.

All in all, I would rate this course a 4.25 if they had 1/4 point ratings, but since they don't, I'm bumping it up to 4.5/5. Great course. Will be back again someday for sure!

Well Worth the Drive

1    8/7/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: trumpetman330
Pros: -Beautiful course on Lake Erie
-Great hole layout
-3 well constructed and marked tees per hole
-Interesting hole designs
-Each hole had a Par marker and general hole layout
-Secluded from the rest of the park (for the most part)
Cons: -Some holes were difficult to navigate to.
Other Thoughts: Easily my favorite course I've played at. The hole landscaping and maitenance is phenominal. Many of the holes are on the sides of hills, which adds the aspect of landing shots flat, adding a new aspect to the game. I love this course and would easily drive 2 hours to be able to play there!