Orangeburg, SC
Edisto Memorial Gardens DGC Share
Uploaded By: Greg Boyer Hole #13

1    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: Unkles27
Pros: This course is set in a beautiful park, with the front nine weaving through cypress and the front nine in a more open but well maintained field. The signage is excellent, with a map with all 3 tees and pin, and pars and distances for all 3 tees as well. Nice concrete teepads on for all tees as well is a definite plus. Bag hooks on every hole is also a nice touch
The back nine was in a fairly open field had some good variations in length and used the trees available to it pretty well. There were three man-made elevate greens in this part of the course, which although a cool idea, I think three is a bit much.
Cons: The front nine of the course was a mess. The only pins I was able to find was 1, 6 and 8. Everything else was unplayable. I looked at their website and it appears the course sustained some serious damage during an ice storm, and at some point was flooded. I don't know, it was unclear but the front nine is basically unplayable at the moment. Its a shame because that looked like the best part of the course by far. It was also very wet in the front part and I found myself wishing I had waterproof shoes.
There was some confusion on the back nine as well, as I saw a sign saying about a change in the layout of holes 16 and 17, but I couldn't really understand it and was able to play just fine the original way. hole 17 was bordered by a ditch full of very dark and swampy looking water that could definitely eat a disc if you ended up in it.
Other Thoughts: I think that several acts of nature have caused this course to fall upon some hard times, that are not a fault of the course or the local club. A quick visit to their website will show how far they have come since the ice storm, but they still have a long ways to go as the front is essentially unplayable. The website says they have set up an alternative nine across the street from the back nine, and I saw quite a few baskets, but I couldn't figure out where to tee from and where to shoot to as there were no signs anywhere.