Orangeburg, SC
Edisto Memorial Gardens DGC Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #10 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #10 Short Tee

Great Disc Golf Only Park

1    3/9/2015   3/9/2015
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 3/13/2015
Pros: There really are a lot of pros to this course.

28 well manicured holes divided into 3 separate layouts. All 3 nines represent very different play styles that overall are an in-depth test of disc golf. The Cypress nine is a narrow, technical Lowcountry style course which emphasizes tight lines and precision. The Fireant nine has some open holes but is noteworthy for some more demanding green complexes with the manmade elevations on 13 and 17 as well as some baskets guarded in the trees. The River nine is mostly a wide open bomber's paradise. Between the three, you have short technical holes, some difficult greens, and some really long ones where you can let it fly.

Multiple holes that I would consider "signature holes." #8 on the River nine is a really nice narrow hole that plays on an elevated fairway with a canal lining the left. The mound holes on the Fireant nine are definitely the signature of that layout, as well as hole 15 (6th on the side) which is a sharp dogleg left which has a really neat risk-reward window through the trees. Probably the prettiest hole is 25 (#7 on the River nine) which plays right along the river.

The course has a nice kiosk which shows the entire layout with a portajohn on site and multiple shelters available in case of storm. Benches aplenty and great tees and teesigns. Navigation is a breeze with very good signage. There are even posts by the tees to be used for writing on your scorecard (unfortunately no scorecards were available when I went by).

Course was in very good shape when I played with plenty of active maintenance going on. I would love to see what this place looks in its prime.
Cons: A lot of the course seems to be in lowlying area, especially the Cypress nine, and much of it was flooded when I played. There were some attempts to use palettes as bridges but they were a bit rickety.

There are a few throwaway holes on the Cypress nine (1 and 7). Also, the mando on #6 is uncomfortably tight for something that close to the teebox.

The Fireant nine is in desperate need of cleaning in the areas of holes 15-17. 15 is actually dangerous with the amount of half buried trash (including broken glass and rusted metal jutting out of the ground).

The canal/pond thing that borders #8 and #17 is disgusting. It desperately needs some cleaning.

The River nine seems like a bit of an afterthought. Only 1-2 sets of tees and a lot of holes out in the open. I think a bit more work would help it be a much more entertaining layout. The mando on #7 on that side unfortunately takes the threat of the water out of play which may actually make the hole easier overall. Maybe it was put there to keep discs away from fishers or people enjoying the water, but it seems a bit unnecessary.

A few of the baskets have remnants of old hole numbers on them which can make things confusing the first time you play.
Other Thoughts: It is actually pretty cool to see all of the signs that say Disc Golf Only. Its not often that you see that in a park. Most of the time DG is an afterthought in big parks, but here it is center stage.

With some cleanup of the Fireant nine and a bit more time invested into the River nine, this would easily be a 4 rated course, but it is still a very nice place to come play.

Not sure why hole 17a exists...seems like an unnecessary addition to the course. I wonder if it is there for beginners to be able to play a 9 hole layout without major water threats by skipping hole 17.

Easy like Sunday morning

1    2/8/2015   2/12/2015
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: - Nice, LONG teepads :)
- An older bench and a couple hooks to hang your bag is at every hole, it seemed.
- Fairly easy to navigate (though I wasn't sure of the basket's location while standing on the teepad on a few holes).
- Good variety of hole layouts.
- Three 9-hole loops to choose from. (I wish more courses were designed like this.)
- Signs on the bordering roads direct you to the course.
Cons: - A little bit of trash on a few holes.
- The disgusting stream next to the Hole 8 and 17 fairways will make you choose your shot very cautiously.
- A few of the holes were pretty wide open without obstacles.
Other Thoughts: The course has apparently been changed since the photos were taken. I played on a cool Sunday morning and the course was in really nice shape -- very little mud, no mosquitoes. I'm glad I didn't judge by the older photos when deciding to play this course.

There is a "bonus hole" (17A) in between holes 17 and 18. Birdie this hole because you might need that extra shot on Hole 18.

Disc Golf

1    8/2/2013   8/2/2013
Review By: S.Cann
Pros: -This park is ginormous and is Disc Golf only!
-This course had a little bit of everything with the 3 distinct 9's. The Cypress 9 is decently wooded and well shaded, The River 9 is very open and makes for some longer shots, and The Fire Ant 9 is lightly wooded with a few mounds to add elevation.
-Nice DISCatcher baskets
-Interesting variety of shots challenge most parts of your game.
-Port-a-potty located by course sign.
-Signs galore! Every hole has a sign with a map and everything is clearly labeled.
-Pretty secluded. I had the course to myself on a Friday evening.
-The 9's play as 3 separate circles that all meet next to the pavilion.
Cons: -The lack of trees on 2 of the 9's make the course feel somewhat redundant.
-There are TONS of mosquitos in the woods where holes 15,16, and 17 play. The bugs are so bad that these holes are nearly unplayable.
-The wooded holes listed above are littered with garbage. I found myself questioning if the course was put in on top of an old landfill.
-The Cypress layout was very flooded! It was nearly unplayable.
Other Thoughts: Such a large park devoted completely to Disc Golf is amazing. I think this was the first time I have ever seen signs that said, "This area is for disc golf only". I would be ecstatic if this was my home course. Unfortunately this course does not come without issues (namely those listed above. If the flooding, trash, and bugs were taken care of this would be a solid 4-Disc Course.

In my opinion, this course is definitely worth a visit.

Weekly Player

5+    11/4/2012   11/6/2012
Review By: Meteorite
This review was updated on 2/25/2013
Pros: Very clean course. Has an active play group. Also a varity of challenges: water, distance, obstacles, etc.
Cons: Can be soggy on front 9. Very bad ditch on 8 + 17. Some fire-ants and mosquitos.
Other Thoughts: There is also an alternative hole for 17, making it a 28 hole course. Many of the problems have been fixed and the layout has changed since past reviews. Progress is being made.

1    2/20/2011   2/23/2011
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This is a mostly open course with short distances but there are multiple tees if you want a longer challenge. The actual park is very clean but there is plenty of trash in the swamp areas. From what I've read, the course has had layout changes to avoid wet spots. I only ran into 1 other disc golfer while I was out there.
Other Pros:
- several elevated baskets
- multiple concrete tee pads
- nice signs
Cons: They did well with the land they had provided but it is mostly flat and open.
Other Cons:
- the ditch on the back 9 has a steep bank with black, garbage filled water, the bank it also filled with broken glass and rusty metal, so try to avoid it!
-confusing hole numbers, we just played the next logical hole
Other Thoughts: The park (not the course) is on both sides of Andrew Dibble Street, there was a sign which tells you which side has the disc golf course but it only faces one way of traffic. It was a fun course but there really isn't a signature hole or anything that is too memorable to write home about. I was just happy to be playing some disc golf on a 75 degree, February day!

Good Course, Definitly Worth the Drive

5+    7/4/2011   11/29/2010
Review By: lxdawg25
This review was updated on 7/30/2011
Pros: The course had a lot of different challenges. When we played it was under the new layout and there were some monster holes. This made it so that the two sides of the course played very differently, which made for a nice contrast between front and back 9. We played on thanksgiving morning and the course was barren which was very nice. Some of the woods made seemingly simple holes very challenging. The back nine was very well labeled. The signs and concrete tee pads made the course wonderful...

Update 7/30/2011: I just played this course again while in town and the original front nine was opened and the new third 9? all have cement tee pads. I would love to see some signs up for these, but all in all this is an awesome course with 27 distinct holes. My favorite part about it, is each set of 9 holes plays very differently. With that being said if you only have time to play 18 you can mix and match to get completely different playing experiences. I originally had it listed at 3, but with the front 9 open I'd give it and easy 3.5 signs and making sure all the basket numbers are right makes this an easy 4 borderline 4.5. What a great little course.
Cons: ...the front nine is temporary and the lack of signage made it hard to play. Twice we played to the wrong basket, and had to go restart the hole. We skipped nine because even though I knew it played around the house and was able to find a basket I was never able to find the tee box. Since we did play on a holiday the course was dead but I could easily see how if there were other cars avoiding them could be difficult.

Update 7/30/2011: Just played this course in the summer time, make sure not to go near dusk as the bugs will eat you alive. Best bet is to go in the morning, or take lots of bug spray.
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to my parents house, about 30 minutes away. I will definitely drive to play a round or two when visiting, but will also consider a longer drive to explore some new courses. It's not quiet good enough to keep me satisfied. I also have mixed feelings about some of the "elevated" baskets. I've never seen a basket built up on the top of a mound solely to elevate the basket. It added a challenge but also resulted in a lot of missed putts ending up much further away than I started. I'd rather they just tucked the basket behind a tree if they really needed to add a challenge.

Finally got to play Orangeburg

2-4    5/21/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 6/20/2012
Pros: Addendum: I haven't played here since it became a 27 hole course. Next time I'm back in the area I plan in sneaking up for a round on the new 27 hole layout. I'm looking forward to it and will updates review at that time!

I played on the New relocated front 9. It was relocated due to the water issues on the front 9. The first tee is still the same, but you cross the road and go to the left for number 2. Look for the Blue/White markers.
-Tee's: Concrete Tee's, Maps w/Signs (Back 9 only at the moment)
-Multiple Tee's
-Well maintained and manicured.
-This course had a good "Fun Factor", I'm looking forward to play here again.
-Good for beginners, and the multiple tees will offer a challenge for the advanced player.
-Garbage cans located throughout the course.
-Porto near first tee
-Excellent distance shots, with an 125ft Ace run on the first hole. (Nice way to start a round)
-Course layout is figure 8 style back to the parking lot. This allows for a quick 9 hole play on either front or back 9. As well as a stop off at the car for a break.
-Front 9 houses the distance holes. Wide open, "Let her rip" shots. Plus a Mando around a house on 9. (Which I thought was fun challenge!)
-Back 9 requires more strategic approaches. 3 targets on are on tall mounds, which require a specific placement. Finishing out with an narrow but not overly tight 505ft shot.
-There was a place for scorecards at the billboard, but it was empty. This may be due to the transition. I'm assuming it will be refilled once the changes are finalized.
-The back 9 has signs that alert people that Disc Golf is being played, this should reduce the "Wandering park goer"

FWIW:
-Places to fish here
-Playground available
-Places to eat nearby
-I put a bug in the ear of the CVS next door, that they should consider selling discs. Feel free to help the cause by stopping in and asking. The more people that ask, the more likely they might be to start carrying Disc Golf discs and equipment.

Cons: -People tend to park there cars in and along the #2 Fairway.
-16 and 17 can get a little confusing. The old narrow 16 tunnel shot, has been relocated. I didn't learn this until after I played the hole. The tee signs were still in the old location. This was kind of frustrating.

I'm not holding the following against the course, because I realize that the front 9 is in a transition phase. I do feel it is worth noting.
-A map would be very helpful for the front 9 for first timers. But once you play it, it'll be easy to remember.
-No tee signs or teepads on the front 9 yet. Look for the Tee markers. They're usually Blue and white, with a red marker for the shorter tees.
-The tree on 9 needs a mando sign on it, because the arrow that was spray painted on is faded. I just barely saw it. Plus a Mando sign will make for a nice touch.

Other Thoughts: I drove about 50 miles to play here, and I personally felt like it was worth the drive. This was a fun course, I had a great time and I felt I was met with a challenge. If you happen to be in the area, this course is worth the stop. I'm not sure if I'd go out way out of my way to play here, but the nice thing about Orangeburg is that its right off I-26. So if you are traveling up or down 26, it would be a convenient stop.

The last time I tried to play here, I was shocked to learn that the front 9 had been submerged. This has been remedied by relocating the front 9 to the other side of the road. The new front 9 offers good distance challenges. I would love to see the measurements once they are posted. I'll post the holes I had a little trouble locating.

*Tee 2: Standing at the first basket, face the shelter house, and look towards the left (around 10 o clock). Look for the Blue and white tee markers. (I posted a photo with directions)
*Tee 3: The Tee's are located on the left side of the house, across the road from the 2nd basket.
*Hole 9, I've seen where this one throws people for a loop. You'll see the basket, but the tee faces 90 degrees opposite the tee. This hole is a Mando, where you have to throw around the house, in a horseshoe fashion. Look for the faded arrow on the tree near the back of the house.

Estido MG DCG - Not 2 Bad!

1    4/1/2010   4/1/2010
Review By: rpitt08
Pros: I had heard this course if always very wet but it had not rained significantly in two or three weeks so it was dry as a bone. The front was covered in low weeds so it was very hard to skip so you could really go at the basket on drives and upshots. Where it hit was where it finished.

The first hole was only like 100 ft so I was like wow!... this is gonna be a joke. Then things got a little longer. I am a 905 rated player (perhaps I am a bit better than my rating) and I was 1 down playing all par three) after the front nine. There is really only one hole that is a tough par (3) for me. There is a righty and lefty rout for many of the holes A long arm is not required but you are definitely at a disadvantage if you cant throw 300+.
Hole 9 is completely screwed up. We found the basket bit could not find a definitive tee, so we used the only tee that did not play on the front but did not face the basket (actually it was perpendicular). There were many birdie opps...

The back is much, much harder than the front and feature two or three legit par 4s. I'd say par on this course would be 57 or 58 as there are 3 or 4 holes that are unaceable. Hole 10 you throw over a swamp. Its a straight shot and don't even try to go over if you cant throw 300 straight line. The safety shot is a hyzer around it which I ponied out and opted for. (I didn't feel like loosing a disc on a practice round... MEOW!!!). There is one really sweet hole on the back where you can throw 300ft through an outwardly telescoping tunnel straight at it or do a monster hyzer shot (if you have it). Water plays on the aforementioned shot and at least two other holes on the back.

Cons: Tee signs are few and far between. You can tell the course does not get a lot of play. Hole 9s tee is hard to find if it exists. If it has rained recently wear Seal-Skinz or something. I'm sure you need plenty of Deep Woods Off in the summer as it looks like a heavy mosquito breeding area.
Other Thoughts: Don't hate the course, hate the game! Worth a stop if you are passing by. Though I have never played a course I didn't love ('cause I live the game) I wouldn't go out of my way for this one.

1    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: Unkles27
Pros: This course is set in a beautiful park, with the front nine weaving through cypress and the front nine in a more open but well maintained field. The signage is excellent, with a map with all 3 tees and pin, and pars and distances for all 3 tees as well. Nice concrete teepads on for all tees as well is a definite plus. Bag hooks on every hole is also a nice touch
The back nine was in a fairly open field had some good variations in length and used the trees available to it pretty well. There were three man-made elevate greens in this part of the course, which although a cool idea, I think three is a bit much.
Cons: The front nine of the course was a mess. The only pins I was able to find was 1, 6 and 8. Everything else was unplayable. I looked at their website and it appears the course sustained some serious damage during an ice storm, and at some point was flooded. I don't know, it was unclear but the front nine is basically unplayable at the moment. Its a shame because that looked like the best part of the course by far. It was also very wet in the front part and I found myself wishing I had waterproof shoes.
There was some confusion on the back nine as well, as I saw a sign saying about a change in the layout of holes 16 and 17, but I couldn't really understand it and was able to play just fine the original way. hole 17 was bordered by a ditch full of very dark and swampy looking water that could definitely eat a disc if you ended up in it.
Other Thoughts: I think that several acts of nature have caused this course to fall upon some hard times, that are not a fault of the course or the local club. A quick visit to their website will show how far they have come since the ice storm, but they still have a long ways to go as the front is essentially unplayable. The website says they have set up an alternative nine across the street from the back nine, and I saw quite a few baskets, but I couldn't figure out where to tee from and where to shoot to as there were no signs anywhere.

Couse in Disarray, atm

5+    6/14/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: trentdk
Pros: It -was- a great course. Back 9 still playable.
Cons: The front 9 was moved? Half of the baskets are missing, and the other half are in 1 foot of water and mud.
Other Thoughts: Its fine if you just want to play the back 9, but there is barely anything left of the front 9.