Emory, VA
Emory and Henry College Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #1 (Taken 10/2008)
3 / --   3 / 174ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Let itself go

1    10/13/2012   10/14/2012
Review By: JimDK27
Pros: The course has a decent mix of wooded vs. open holes. It still has a few signs on the course. There were only 2 tee pads I couldn't find. The short holes can still present a challenge.
Cons: Hole 15 is gone. All we found of it was the sign post with no sign laying next to a trail. We had a map and looked all over for the basket before moving onto hole 16. We also didn't find a tee for the first hole that resembled the other tees on the course so we used what I assume to be a golf tee box. The under growth is almost out of control. Unless you put your drive in the middle of the thin walking paths (when there were some) you were going to be in a mix of briars and vines. With most of the tee signs gone and the ones that remain being so vague you'll want take a course map which as noted on the map is still fairly general but is much more helpful than the tee signs.
Other Thoughts: I didn't really have a problem with tee pads like other reviewers have had, but I can understand how the rubber tees can be very slick when wet. Most of the tees were carpet instead of rubber and I don't know how they would work when wet. I thought they were fine though.

I believe that this course could be rated 3 if they cleared out some of the brush and tree or 2 on a few holes. I also didn't encounter much poison ivy, but that is why I like playing this time of year. It can always be gotten rid with spray if it becomes a problem though.

Finding the course is half the battle

2-4    7/31/2010   8/6/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 1/15/2011
Pros: - The Open Holes. The few open holes on this course were definitely the best thing about it. Beautifully manicured grass and the surrounding Ball Golf course make these holes feel more traditional.
- Forced Shots. A few holes on the course forced you to throw specific shots to get them. Hole 17 - A forced anhyzer 30' off the tee to a fairway that's straight for another 200+ feet. Hole 2 - A forced S-Turn through a blind 20' wide gap (perpendicular to you) 150' off the tee.
- Use of Elevation. Almost every hole had some elevation issue… whether in vertical feet gained or lost, or in the opportunity to be punished with vertical feet for poor shots. Not severe, but enough.
- Signage. The signage was remedial at best… but with 9 Blind pins, they were a big help. They also aided in locating the next hole because you could usually see them from the previous pin. There were also some large yellow arrows pointing the way to the tees with longer walks. I didn't have any trouble with navigation.
Cons: - Poke and Hope Holes. Four of the holes were Poke and Hope at best. Just throw at a gap and hope you make it through.
- Unplayed? Judging by the number of spider web facials I took and the overgrowth of the undergrowth, it didn't seem like this course gets too much traffic.
- Tee Pads. The tee-pads were thin, 2' wide, rubber strips laid on uneven ground and were extremely slippery when wet.
Other Thoughts: - Directions. The courses Home Page Directions were OFF. First off all, the directions said Exit 27… there is no Exit 27. You want Exit 26. They also said to go straight on the gravel road after going under the RxR tracks… but, there was no gravel road going straight, only one going left. (Not the road you need to take).

I found some maintenance workers and asked them… they pointed me the way to Hole 10. So I started there (both times I played here).

The Real Directions: I-81 Exit 26. Toward the college. Before going under the RXR tracks, make a right into the school (Gamand Dr). Follow the road as it winds around through the school until it starts flanking the ball golf course on your right… then, memorize the way this pic looks so you can find your way to the correct parking lot http://maps.google.com/maps?q...6968&z=18
Note: I didn't park in this parking lot either time I played here and everything worked out.
- My Score: -6

Timber!

1    10/21/2009   10/22/2009
Review By: Torrible
Pros: Beautiful campus! Great use of elevation changes. Variety of shots are necessary.
Cons: Tee pads were a lawsuit waiting to happen (very slippery on wooded holes), lack of defined fairway on some of the wooded holes, poison Ivy (i know, there is not much you can do about that, just come prepared)
Other Thoughts: This course does have a lot of potential. However, there is work to be done. New tee pads are a must, that or yank out the slippery rubber that is there. I agree with a previous poster, some of the wooded holes are a little too congested. Clearing just a few trees here and there would really define a fairway with out giving up the technical aspect of the course. Easily would be at least a 4 star course with these adjustments.