Wexford, PA
Knob Hill Park Share
Hole #16 from White Tee (#18 basket in right foreground)

5+    10/1/2013   10/2/2013
Review By: Jabumbo
Pros: The different pin placements on each hole can drastically change how you play it making for great replay value. I enjoy the variety of open and wooded holes that go in and out of the woods. The tees and signage are in solid condition and the course is typically well maintained.
Cons: A number of the holes are prone to being very muddy if you catch it at the wrong time. Typical with most par 54 courses, the hole lengths don't stretch too far.
Other Thoughts: This course is a slight step up from the courses I play the most (Schenley and Phillips) so I enjoy making it a point to come out at least a few times. Usually the pins are varied enough to keep me just out of even par range, which is what keeps me coming back.

While the course isn't the longest, it makes it up with the variety and is at least worth a solid warm up round for some of the more challenging courses in the area.

Tougher but fairer than I expected.

1    8/9/2011   8/9/2011
Review By: fasteddy8170
Pros: The tees were excellent. All tees for all course should be rubber. It gives the most reliable footing in dry and wet conditions. Concrete can sometimes get a little tricky.

A decent mixture of open air and closed air holes. Holes 17 and 18, for example, make up for some of the tree canopy holes.

The terrain--the ups and downs can make it interesting.

Almost lost two discs but the woods aren't REALLY thick so it's possible to find your disc without feeling like you are on a safari.
Cons: The signs could have been more instructive. Twice I found myself teeing off the wrong tees. Granted, I was playing the course for the first time by myself so it's partly my fault.

Playing by myself I found myself having to walk down the fairway to see exactly where the hole was and then walking back to where my disc was. Once again, I think this was partly me but the signage, too.

Having played from the blue tees, I didn't score well--and I'm cool with that but it strikes me that the course could be played with only two discs. A mid-range and a putter. Most of the holes are "throw straight down this hallway and find the hole at the end". Not a lot chances to vary your discs and shot selection.
Other Thoughts: I haven't been playing for even a year but I still played the blue tees because I wanted to see everything the course could throw at me. I essentially threw one over par for every hole and I'm cool with that since I was being overtly safe because a lot of times I wasn't 100 percent sure where the hole was. I am sure if I lived in the area I'd be in the mid-60's, at least, in no time.

Nicely Seasoned

1    11/21/2010   11/24/2010
Review By: 1978
Pros: Very nice course with a lot of variety. I felt like I had multiple options with plenty of room to manuver on most of the holes. Elevation changes made you think. Do I throw BH through the widest open but then flair down hill or sidearm. That kind of golf is what I prefer. There were some open distance holes and tight wooded holes. Course was relatively clean . There are 3 sets of tees. the longer tees add a whole other level of risk. They were well thought out, and not your typical (hey lets put a long pad here because it is longer. The concrete white tees are for a strong Intermediate level player, Advanced level players will feel challenged on the long pads. The shorts are for beginners and are marked with colored boards. Concrete tees were almost too large, I found myself starting in the middle of the pads. This is a good thing. I liked that there were 3 pin positions for each hole too. For a course so often playedm erosion was controlled with this 3 placement setup. Tee signs were nice, however sometimes didnt completely explain the hole to me. There were various types of signs at every location. Players were friendly.
Cons: There were a few issues with this "old style course" that had me rating it at 3.5 stars for a "Very Good" rating. You definitely get the old style tight course feel here. 18 holes "crammed" into a smaller area. Fairways on at least 8 holes were just way too close. If used in tournament play, this could get a little dangerous. I played in the winter and it was very confusing for me to find which hole was next. A few "next tee" signs would really help. Fly pads on the longs aren't ideal. One of hole 16's placements has you playing across a road. It was difficult to find hole 1 without asking. The bathrooms were closed for the winter. This was a problem for me as I was stopping in the middle of an 8 hr drive. Had to go back into town and wasted 30 minutes. There weren't many other con's in my opinion, but its's just not a 4* course compared against other 4* courses that I have played even with addition of some signage at the parking lot and between holes.
Other Thoughts: I didnt feel a hole by hole review was necessary. The important part was that the course is a must see. If you dont have time for Moraine or Deer Lakes. I will stop again on my way through the area from Charlotte to Pittsburgh. I would totally reccommend this course to anyone in the area.

Decent Course

1    10/2/2010   10/11/2010
Review By: Slicktm
This review was updated on 6/28/2011
Pros: Great layout. Good Challenge and cool placements of Tee and Holes. Good variety of wooded and open holes. I liked the use of terrain to make the holes more interesting.
Cons: Lots of underbrush, my friend lost his driver (though it was getting dark at the time). There are a few areas that you can lose a disc with a off throw as with any course but there are some spots that you dont see that are deep spots etc.

Stalwart of the Pittsburgh Region

1    9/5/2010   9/14/2010
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: Three Tees: blue/rubber/long - white/concrete/medium - red/natural/short
Tee signs at white tees
Multiple pin positions available
The balance of heavily/moderately wooded & open/semi-open holes combined with available elevation made for a sensible flow and required a variety of shots to score well.
Easy to navigate even without a map
Course well used and broken in so very little punishing rough (except for ridiculously errant throws on some holes) resulting in low disc loss possibilities
Clean & well maintained
Park is multi-use and has bathrooms, etc.
Cons: Finding first tee not obvious - disc golf sign has you going over bridge through some woods to a path that splits with no directional info on which way to go. Would be easier to point players up gravel pathway away from parking area as first tee is just up there a short distance. There's a map at the info board for reference however.
Not crazy about design of holes 16-18 which are fairly close to one another and play near to/over the road leading to DG parking lot. Saw many non disc golfers walking up/down this road so caution is warranted.
Three pin positions per hole but no way of telling what position pin is in (most pins you can see from the tee, others you'll have to scout)
Red tees on some holes are wood boards on the ground so players using these may find them difficult to locate
Other Thoughts: With 25 reviews on site, going into detail here seems unnecessary and excessive so I'll stick to some general thoughts:

It's always interesting playing a mature, well established course designed in the early 90's and seeing how it withstands the test of time. Knob Hill seems to be enduring quite well as it appeals to a wide range of players, is challenging but not overly long or technical & has extremely strong support from the surrounding community -and for good reason - this is a fun place to enjoy a relaxing, low stress round in a pleasant park setting. If I lived in the general vicinity, I'd be playing this one regularly.

Some of the reviews/ratings on the site seem to be somewhat inflated as the course doesn't quite have all of the qualities I would have expected to justify the rating. Even so, it's a more than solid course and I cannot fault those who play it regularly for showing their devoted appreciation.

Therefore labels like 'championship quality' or 'a must play destination' are not applicable here. Nevertheless, it's totally worth a play if in the area.

Well kept and close

5+    11/14/2009   11/22/2009
Review By: HarkeyPuck
This review was updated on 9/19/2010
Pros: Well designed and well maintained course, that has a good flow and variety of holes.

Course gets a lot of use so paths between holes are well defined.

Cement pads on white tee and rubber fly pad on the blues.

3 pin placements per hole.
Cons: Can get very crowded.

Finding some tees are a bit hard the first time around.

Even in A pin placement, not very beginner friendly.

Red tees are a board in the ground and almost non existent.
Other Thoughts: This course is the best par 3 in Pittsburgh. The Park is very pet friendly as many take their dogs golfing with them.

C pin location can be VERY challenging.

If you're looking for a fun, challenging round, take the time to play 18 at this great course.

Pittsburgh's Original Favorite

1    5/11/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: So many devoted and friendly players here. Multiple tees and alternating basket locations. Perfect combination of field holes, moderate woods and tight woods. Elevation is evident but is never too much or too little. Concrete tee on each hole. It's an old course but is aging nicely due to the designs emphasis on elevation and trees to temper disc technology. I particularly enjoyed the uphill climb of hole 5? (Picture seems wrong on this site) The rollercoaster drive down hole 9. (funny the best hole on course is not on the photos here). Not many bad holes here and there really is a good variety to shot and disc selection here. Fairways are well groomed and undulating terrain comes into play on many of the holes which is fun. Alternate tee position for hole 16 looked pretty wild I wish I played that one.
Cons: It's not as World Class as I expected based on this site. I was prepared for something amazing. I was mildly disappointed. I think there is a great Pittsburgh Scene and many there must cling to this course and hence it gets a lot of points based on reputation which was probably established years ago. Still a quality course and if you have time while playing Deer Lakes and Morraine, please play here. But don't dare skip Morraine or Deer Lakes to play here. Holes 1 and 2 are shorties that faceoff at one another. Hole 16 and 18 criss cross one another's fairways. Hole 15 is a technical hole, but c'mon I mean really is it more luck or skill to get a deuce? Often the long tees seemed to just stretch the drives without really adding anything to the shot. Kind of like just requiring a midrange placement shot off the tee because a drive from these tees would be too reckless? Maybe I'm just not that good. fairways are nice but shule off to the sides of these are often quite thick and unforgiving. I don't mind trees but bushes, thorns, and overgrowth make for a frustarting afternoon.(OK I lost my Star Valk on Hole 9 I'm negatively biased) A bit muddy/soggy in places but that occurs on all wooded and hilly courses.
Other Thoughts: I really felt like I trashed this course. It's a fine course indeed. I was just expecting so much more based on all of the 4 ratings and above I saw on this site. Knob Hill has a bit of everything and you won't get bored at all here. You just won't remember it as an amazing course because chances are if your in the region you will have played Morraine and Deer Lakes which blow this place away. If I lived near Knob Hill I would love to play it on a regular basis. It's just not a destination course and I don't feel the attraction to return here like I do with World Class courses. Hole 1 is beyond the rear of the lot and a walk way up the gravel path. Ask a local it can be tricky to find.