Wexford, PA
Knob Hill Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)

Yet Another Solid Pittsburgh Course

1    10/14/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: iacas
This review was updated on 9/2/2013
Pros: The course is nicely marked out and has three good solid tees and three pin positions on each hole, with a variety of options and lines required.

Though every hole is a par three, the course offers a variety of shots. If you're capable, you'll throw forehands, rollers, hyzers, anhyzers, and whatever else you've got.

The baskets are clearly marked with bright orange tape around the pole. I wish more courses had such easy-to-see baskets.

The layout was fairly obvious, but the maps printed on the back of the free paper scorecards at the entrance still came in handy once or twice.

The baskets are in great shape, and the tee signs are all you could ask for - clear and easy to understand. The cement teepads on the white tees were nice.

The fairways are clear of obstructions and debris. Every few holes there were wastebasket AND recycling baskets, which meant there was little to no trash on the course itself.

The course makes good use of the available land, often putting baskets on severe slopes or protecting the basket locations with trees, but rarely both or neither. It's a solid design.

We played mid-day on a Sunday and the course was not crowded. We let a few players through and they were courteous and nice. The holes are just about the perfect distance apart so you feel separated enough from any other groups but groups won't sneak up on you, either.
Cons: These are nit-picks so even though there are a few of them, each individual one has very little weight.

- I read in other reviews that there are "Pindicators" on the tees, but I didn't see any, and on a few holes we weren't entirely sure which way the hole went. Not a big deal - we would walk ahead or sideways until we saw the bright orange tape. (Update: I may have misunderstood what the Pindicators are. Apparently they're like Q codes on the tees. So never mind this one. :D)

- Red tees are natural tees. I bet eventually they'll change that. We couldn't find the red tees on #9. There was no post.

- Could use a little more variety in hole length. Some holes could have been nifty par fours if some lines or length were different.

- The course does not drain particularly well. This is particularly true around #9.

That's it for the cons! And like I said they're pretty small.
Other Thoughts: I played with my brother-in-law, wife, and daughter. We played the white tees while they played the red.

Just outside the parking area to the park there's a nice wooden playground for kids.

Of the three main Pittsburgh area courses, Moraine and Deer Lakes reign supreme. Knob Hill is nice, but doesn't match up to those two. Still a very, very good course. Just not in the upper echelon.

I recommend eating at Monte Cello's in Cranberry after playing. :)

5+    6/29/2012   8/7/2012
Review By: wolfsblood
Pros: Challanging...with elevation changes and blind holes.Fair length with acceptable tee pads.Multiple pin locations.Nice workout with the hills. Descent mix of open and wooded holes.
Cons: Muddy.....very muddy in spring and after rain. Could use better "next tee" signs.Some holes have mud 1 foot thick in places. The complaint i have with the blind holes is with the different pin locations..youll have to look to see in u need a hook or turnover drive.

Great course

5+    7/18/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: hogwild428
Pros: This is probably my favorite course. There is a good variety of long holes to short holes. There are also a good mix of wooded holes compared to wide open ones that you can just rip it. All 18 holes have poured concrete teepads for the white tees.
Cons: Not many cons. The biggest problem might be signs. If you are new to the course, it can be a bit tricky on a few of the holes to get to the next one. Overall it is pretty straightforward to get from hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: Would definitely tell anyone to play this course if they have a chance to. It can be a pretty quick round, especially if you want to sneak in a round on a weeknight after work before it gets dark.

Great Course

5+    7/16/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: timbur3
This review was updated on 8/19/2012
Pros: Has great signs to tell you where the holes are. Has a nice mix of long and shorter holed. The shorter holes are not too easy either. Move the pins around a bunch to change up the course.
Cons: On some holes it is easy to lose your disc if you throw it in the woods, especially on hole #11. Other than some blind throws there are not many other cons.
Other Thoughts: Used to get super wet after rain but since they installed drains it has improved a lot. It is easy to get a decently quick hour hour and a half round in any night. It is a great 18 that will test every part of your game.

A fun and beautiful course

1    6/23/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: Hfactor
Pros: The course is very close to Moraine and deer lake. It is just as the ratings suggest a great course but not quite as good as moraine or deer lakes. The course is not as tiring as the other two either. The shots are a bit more open here and make for more friendly play and more forgiving shots. There are also quite a few birdie shots on this course and ace run holes.
Cons: There are three possible pin placements and you cant tell which one to throw to unless you see the basket or walk the hole.
Other Thoughts: We played a mix of the whites and the blue tees.

The best camping ground we found after 3 hours of driving was Breakneck campground right next to moraine on cheeseman road. It was $8/ night per person with tent. My moraine review gives greater detail on where the campground is.

I wouldn't say any of the three top courses in the area are beginner courses but Knob Hill would be the most beginner friendly in my opinion.

Knob Mountain

1    7/6/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 baskets with multiple pin placements and 3 sets of tees for each hole with natural, concrete, flypad in order of short to long. Decent tee signs on the short tees. Excellent use of the rolling and extreme elevation and terrain. Good variety of woods and open space and calls on some good shot making. Can play fairly easy in the short pins and fairly hard in the long pins. Course is well maintained on fairways and rough is not too bad. Restrooms in parking lot.
Cons: Lacks tee signage for long tees and next tee, and current pin placement. A few fairways play a bit close together. Crossing fairways on 16 and 18. Some blind landings. It did take awhile to find the tee for hole 1. Missed hole 10 and went to 12(go back uphill to tee 10).
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed Knob Hill more than I thought I would. It's hard for me to realize this is an older course because it can play quite long. It was hot as hell(100+) when I played and basically nobody else on the course, so that may have helped the experience. I'd imagine it can get crowded and the close fairways could be an issue. I wasn't quite expecting extreme elevation like that with the hill part in the name, should be mountain, and it was brutal in the heat. Hole 9 was a blast throwing a huge downhill ski slope type shot with woods on both side and overhanging canopy. One of my favorite holes all time. Then hole 10 you play straight back up which is a killer. A lot of great holes and variety here.

Highly Recommended if you're in the area

1    5/26/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros:
Three sets of tees (red =natural w/toe boards, white = concrete, blue = flypad) not only change distance, but some of the blues have tough routes to hit. Course can play differently depending on your choice of tee.
Three pin locations: can impact your game more than which tee you drive from. When I played (from white tees), the pins were in the 'C' config, which were usually the longest and definitely the trickiest, least accessible of the three. IMHO the 'C' pins were a bit LHBH/RHFH friendly. 'B' locations were usually more accessible from all pads and occasionally a bit longer than 'C' depending on the tee. The 'A' pins were unquestionably the shortest and friendliest layout. As a result of these drastically different placements, Knob Hill may offer the greatest variety from round to round of all the courses I played in this area. Factor in the three tees and the result is a course that kind of allow you to custom tune your round (if the pins are in the positions you desire), and you just gotta love a course that offers 9 different ways to play it.
Challenge is HIGHLY variable. Blue to 'C' would be a true championship caliber layout. Red to 'A' would be great for beginners or even an Ace Race.
Mostly wooded with enough open holes to provide a nice balance. Solid design with a pretty good mix of fairway shapes that's largely dependent on pin location. A few fairways really limit you to one or to specific lines, but most holes present a few possible lines from the tee, but pin location and personal preference will pretty much dictate the shot thrown. Rough is nasty enough to make you pay for bad shots, and can really hurt your score or steal a disc.
Course is set on very hilly terrain and elevation is well utilized on both fairways as well as putting greens. There are a few holes where the risk of rollaways.
Nice tee markers. Concrete pads were brushed and spacious. Baskets and were good shape and a non-issue. Scorecard/maps available at near the 1st tee area. I wasn't paying close attention, but I do recall a few benches and trash cans during my round.
Except for a bit of a back-track from basket 1 to tee 2, navigation seemed alright and flow is quite good for the most part. The scorecard/map should clear things up should you run into trouble.
Park seemed clean and well-maintained. Has a nice playground for the kiddies, a couple of pavilions and a restroom (didn't use it, no clue as to condition/cleanliness).
Close to plenty of restaurants and gas/convenience stores if you want to grab a bite or drink before/after a round
Cons: Didn't find much to list here (that happens when they get things right):
Three possible pin placements means you'll have to walk some fairways to see what's in play. A small price to small price to pay unless you're healing up a foot/leg injury.
16 plays across a road. Didn't seem like a major issue, but probably depends on traffic volume.
A few holes are crammed pretty tightly together. Shouts of "FORE!" have to be common on busy days.
Other Thoughts: As a result of some TLC from the local DG community and good maintenance from the city Parks & Rec, this well established course has aged quite gracefully, and remains a gem to play after close to 20 years. Not sure if they ever present a mix of A, B, and C baskets at the same time, but that could really make things interesting.

I highly recommend the trilogy of Moraine (1st), Deer Lakes (2nd) and Knob Hill (3rd) to anyone looking for a great weekend of discing. Coming in behind those two shouldn't reflect poorly on Knob Hill. Really enjoyed this place and after playing 18 here, I can honestly say it's an excellent course.

knobstalgia

5+    6/25/2011   5/7/2012
Review By: Kavie_Large
Pros: Good terrain with some challenging pin placements. A solid course that I started playing in '97 and still try to get back to at least once a year. You never forget your first.
Cons: Signage is lacking in a few spots. Can be a little short and simple.
Other Thoughts: My wife nailed me in the head while I was looking for the hole(which one i don't remember)

Nicely seasoned

1    8/9/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a hilly forest. A few of the holes play pretty open on grassy hillsides, but most play through mature woods with enough rough to make you pay for errant drives but not enough to really be a disc eater. The course is older, and has aged well. There aren't too many erosion problems, and there are still plenty of tight lines despite years of people tramping through the undergrowth. The long tees are nice rubber pads, and the middle tees are great concrete pads, so you have two solid options that change the difficulty level and many of the shot shapes quite a bit.

There is also nice hole shape variety. I played a mix of pin placements, many holes change drastically between the three settings. The set up I played was nicely balanced between left and right turning holes, and had a good mix of hole lengths. Between the three sets of tees and the three pin placements per hole there's a great deal of variety here. The park has some nice elevation changes, and they're used well to add sodun fun and challenging shots. The signage is adequate to follow the course, and shows the hole layout.
Cons: The current pin placement isn't marked, which can get frustrating on many of the longer blind holes. It looked like a system was in place but not kept up to date unfortunately. The short tees are natural and some aren't in good shape. It can also be hard to find some of them, I can't imagine they get too much play. The course plays near a road on the last few holes, definitely a potential safety issue. It's a little tough to find the first tee from the parking lot, another simple sign or two would go a long way.
Other Thoughts: This course has nice variety, and can appeal to many different skill levels. Beginners will find the short tees accessible, with reasonable length and lines to hit. Intermediate players will be tested from the white tees, with a great mix of holes and shots to challenge different parts of your game. From the long tees, especially to a longer pin set up, even top players will have to bring length and accuracy on many different types of shots to score well.

Moraine and Deer Lakes are nearby, and are both great courses. I would make this course my third priority in this area, but it has a lot to offer and stands on its own as a great course.

Tougher but fairer than I expected.

1    8/9/2011   8/9/2011
Review By: fasteddy8170
Pros: The tees were excellent. All tees for all course should be rubber. It gives the most reliable footing in dry and wet conditions. Concrete can sometimes get a little tricky.

A decent mixture of open air and closed air holes. Holes 17 and 18, for example, make up for some of the tree canopy holes.

The terrain--the ups and downs can make it interesting.

Almost lost two discs but the woods aren't REALLY thick so it's possible to find your disc without feeling like you are on a safari.
Cons: The signs could have been more instructive. Twice I found myself teeing off the wrong tees. Granted, I was playing the course for the first time by myself so it's partly my fault.

Playing by myself I found myself having to walk down the fairway to see exactly where the hole was and then walking back to where my disc was. Once again, I think this was partly me but the signage, too.

Having played from the blue tees, I didn't score well--and I'm cool with that but it strikes me that the course could be played with only two discs. A mid-range and a putter. Most of the holes are "throw straight down this hallway and find the hole at the end". Not a lot chances to vary your discs and shot selection.
Other Thoughts: I haven't been playing for even a year but I still played the blue tees because I wanted to see everything the course could throw at me. I essentially threw one over par for every hole and I'm cool with that since I was being overtly safe because a lot of times I wasn't 100 percent sure where the hole was. I am sure if I lived in the area I'd be in the mid-60's, at least, in no time.