Warrendale, PA
Knob Hill Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #3 (Taken 9/2010)

up and down we go

2-4    8/10/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: hotdam
Pros: A great course it asks alot of you ...you need to be on top of you game the wind and the hills well make you smile or cry but it's a fair course in all words
Cons: well cons none on buy me
Other Thoughts: it's a great park just to walk around in ..Me and my wife walked around the park for about 5 hours it's just a great park

Pittsburgh's Original Favorite

1    5/11/2009   6/13/2009
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: So many devoted and friendly players here. Multiple tees and alternating basket locations. Perfect combination of field holes, moderate woods and tight woods. Elevation is evident but is never too much or too little. Concrete tee on each hole. It's an old course but is aging nicely due to the designs emphasis on elevation and trees to temper disc technology. I particularly enjoyed the uphill climb of hole 5? (Picture seems wrong on this site) The rollercoaster drive down hole 9. (funny the best hole on course is not on the photos here). Not many bad holes here and there really is a good variety to shot and disc selection here. Fairways are well groomed and undulating terrain comes into play on many of the holes which is fun. Alternate tee position for hole 16 looked pretty wild I wish I played that one.
Cons: It's not as World Class as I expected based on this site. I was prepared for something amazing. I was mildly disappointed. I think there is a great Pittsburgh Scene and many there must cling to this course and hence it gets a lot of points based on reputation which was probably established years ago. Still a quality course and if you have time while playing Deer Lakes and Morraine, please play here. But don't dare skip Morraine or Deer Lakes to play here. Holes 1 and 2 are shorties that faceoff at one another. Hole 16 and 18 criss cross one another's fairways. Hole 15 is a technical hole, but c'mon I mean really is it more luck or skill to get a deuce? Often the long tees seemed to just stretch the drives without really adding anything to the shot. Kind of like just requiring a midrange placement shot off the tee because a drive from these tees would be too reckless? Maybe I'm just not that good. fairways are nice but shule off to the sides of these are often quite thick and unforgiving. I don't mind trees but bushes, thorns, and overgrowth make for a frustarting afternoon.(OK I lost my Star Valk on Hole 9 I'm negatively biased) A bit muddy/soggy in places but that occurs on all wooded and hilly courses.
Other Thoughts: I really felt like I trashed this course. It's a fine course indeed. I was just expecting so much more based on all of the 4 ratings and above I saw on this site. Knob Hill has a bit of everything and you won't get bored at all here. You just won't remember it as an amazing course because chances are if your in the region you will have played Morraine and Deer Lakes which blow this place away. If I lived near Knob Hill I would love to play it on a regular basis. It's just not a destination course and I don't feel the attraction to return here like I do with World Class courses. Hole 1 is beyond the rear of the lot and a walk way up the gravel path. Ask a local it can be tricky to find.

EXCELLENT 'A MUST'

1    4/26/2009   5/5/2009
Review By: calcuttajoe
Pros: Very nice course. Easy to walk. Hills are just right. Good hole locations. Right amount of trees and open fairways. Rewards good shots. Family friendly even pets.
Cons: A little wet. "It's spring"
Other Thoughts: Easy to get to. Alot of ameneties.

A great course

5+    4/25/2009   5/4/2009
Review By: tistoude
Pros: The Course has a very nice layout, holes with varying lengths and elevation. The long Tee pads are perfect for a good run up. Also the multiple pins can greatly change the holes, even changing some from a par three to a very difficult par 4.
Cons: Wet! The entire course is covered in natural srpings so where something waterproof.
Other Thoughts: The entire park is a great visit, lots of amenaties, playgrounds, bathrooms, and ball fields.

Another Great PA Course

1    4/26/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: • Lots of hole variety
• Beautiful park
• Multiple tees/baskets
• Secluded park
• Minimal overlap on other park activities
• Well maintained
Cons: • Seems like mud could be a problem during rainy times
• Course flow could be a bit confusing for first-timers
• Some tee signs missing placement markers for the current basket placements.
Other Thoughts: Another great course in western Pennsylvania. Knob Hill takes full advantage of the rolling hills and wooded areas of the park.

Great balance of technical wooded shots, open long-bomb drives, uphill and downhill.

Overall the course flows nicely and is easy to follow, but could be a bit confusing your first time out. There is a bit of a walk from basket-to-next-tee on some holes, but that is made up for by the well thought out course--the extra hike was done to create a great hole.

This course will work a good portion of your throwing skills, and you will employ a wide range of discs from your bag.

A challenging course, but nothing that would be off-putting to a novice or casual player.

I just played the long concrete (white) tees, and so cannot comment on the red/blue tees. Blue tees seemed more obvious, and had the rubber mats instead of concrete pads. Both the mats and the concrete pads were plenty long, and in good shape.

Locals were very friendly. It was a beautiful day and the course seemed busy with players, but not too crowded.

Park has full amenities, playground (with a castle!), baseball field, grills, shelters, bathrooms, etc. I didn't seek out water fountains, but I am sure they are there somewhere judging by what I did see of the rest of the park.

The park is not very far off the freeway exit, and easy to find--just follow the main road into the park all the way to the end, where you will see the DG kiosk. Follow the gravel path to the hole #1 tee.

I suggest bringing/wearing a pair of light hiker boots, as the course has some mud & muck throughout (at least in early Spring) and I can see it getting muddy in places if there was recent rainfall.

As of this review, the only other nearby course I have played in the area was Moraine State Park, and if you are making a trip out the Knob Hill make time to hit Moraine as well.

My home course

5+    3/12/2009   3/13/2009
Review By: SBVT2012
Pros: Long concrete tees allow for a long run up if you'd like. Also, the blue (pro) tees are a thick rubber material that makes a nice tee. Multiple pin locations make the course fun to play over and over again. Good variety too, with some long open fairways, and some wooded, sloped fairways.
Cons: Although the white and blue tees are very nice to play on, the beginner and/or women's tees (red) are not marked very well. Also, finding the next hole may be confusing such as going from #2 to #3 (you would think that you would walk straight when done with #2, but instead you walk to the right into the woods to get to #3).
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, so I play it all the time. Its definately worth the time to play.

Something for everyone here

5+    6/16/2006   1/29/2009
Review By: craigg
Pros: There really is something for everyone here.
-Multiple Tees and Pins
- Nice elevation
-Nice Mix of woods (both tight and sparse) and open shots
- Nice distance/skill change between short and long tees, offering a challenge for all skill levels
- Ample parking
- Bathrooms
- Covered shelter Area
- Dedicated local golfers make for excellent tournaments and an overall welcoming DG Community.
- A Parks department that loves DG!!
Cons: The only real con to this course is after a rain, there are a few holes (3 or 4 total) that turn into mucky mud pits. This really can't be helped as those holes are at the base of a fairly steep hill.
Other Thoughts: Haven't been back in a couple years - I'm looking forward to returning to Knob Hill this summer for the PFDO.

45 min drive for us, but worth it

7/25/2008   7/25/2008
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: Lots of variety. Good use of multiple tees. Excellent challenging hole placement. The grassy areas were very well cut. Relatively easy walking for so many hills. I especially liked 5, and 12 - to the right side basket, 13, and 14 (even with the swampy tire tracks cutting through it). My 10-year-old daughter had a great time from the reds. The rest of us found it very tough using the whites - not too surprising at our skill level.
Cons: Some of the holes and tees were hard to find for a first visit. Red tee lines were hard to find on some holes. Area might get very messy after strong rains. Sign at Tee 16 is misleading, but it's kind of obvious to guess where it's going.
Other Thoughts: Not too long from whites - didn't wear out my arm before the end of 18. Water hole on 15 isn't much of a water hole any more. That suited my family just fine. 11 to the C basket was a monster uphill for us. My worst round of the summer score-wise, and I still had a good time. More clear signs to first tee would help, or maybe we missed something. The first visible tee is 18, so we parked before it. That was a mistake. We ended up walking about half the course backward, just to get our bearings and find #1. Next stop will be Deer Lakes.

7/1/2007   7/23/2008
Review By: b13ecker
Pros: Cement teepads, more of a open course, trees have sum corrugated piping on them incase of discs hitting wont really damage
Cons: When it rains or day after it is a mud pit, also everything is par 3 some should be par 4s but its a hard course very challenging

Good one!

7/19/2008   7/19/2008
Review By: disconsolator
Pros: Definitely one of the best courses I've played. Options everywhere, which is what I like. Rolling hills, good distance and well groomed. Two sets of tees makes it ultra challenging.
Cons: There seem to be a lot of pin positions and there really isn't a way to tell where the pins are unless you run all the way down the fairway.