Fairhope, AL
Fairhope Municipal Park Share
Uploaded By: catiadude69 Hole #9 (Taken 11/2009)
3 / 172ft.   3 / 276ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3
Loved this course...

1    5/23/2014   5/23/2014
Review By: hammerhead611
Pros: *Nice tee setups (tee boxes, markers, etc)
*Nice open throws to start off with before making it into the shaded woods (which was needed today around lunch time)
*Nice elevation changes on several holes
*Benches on nearly every hole
Cons: *Traffic could get hectic around the ball fields when there are ball games being played
*The "island" basket looks like it could be trouble when the parking lot around it is full of cars (signs say not to park on island, but I'm sure there are drivers that park there anyway)

Other Thoughts: Played the course for the first time today and really enjoyed it, as did my 8 yd old daughter and niece (I gave them each a disk and let them go to town throwing them). I really liked the layout of the course. There were several holes that had elevation changes (both uphill and down hill).

The course starts out with several open field throws among pine trees. Then, the course moves into the wooded area, with several straight fairways, and several that end to the left (I think there was 1 hole that ended to the right). After playing the wooded holes, play moves back out into the open field, with a 300'+ throw downhill (the only restroom I remember on the course was located at this teebox). Play continues between a baseball field and a road, so I'm sure this area can be hectic when there is a ball game being played. Then comes the one hole that I didn't care for (it was labeled as "A")...it plays either around the left field corner of the same baseball field mentioned on the last hole or over the corner of the field. Hole 17 is across the road past the skate park. Hole 18 plays behind the football stadium up to the field that you start off in. The course finishes up with a 385' "Mack" hole that plays back toward the parking lot.

Great course in a great park!!!!

2-4    2/23/2014   2/27/2014
Review By: Kometsfan2007
Pros: Great course with several wooded holes and open-field holes. Great course for all skill levels.
Cons: Plays through a couple of areas that could be high-traffic areas at certain times of the year.
Other Thoughts: I love playing this course. It is very close to where I live and the people that play this course regularly are extremely friendly.

Fairhope Fun

1    5/6/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: 1. Tee Pads - "Pro" tees are cement with enough length and smoothness for confidence in footing for almost any throwing style. Recretional tees are natural and pretty well defined.
2. Cages- Cages were pretty easy to locate and in good shape with the exception of a couple that are in the darker wooded areas and no extra paint or markers applied. Does not affect playability just takes a bit to locate sometimes.
3. Layout- Starts out with some nice "open" holes to allow the arm to warm up with some precision required for approach/putting to score low. Then it goes into to the "Enchanted Forest" where trees seem to reach out and grab your disc at every opportunity. Creativity and precision is the name of the game in here to score low or expect at least a couple of bogeys until you get out of the trees. Once you exit the trees, the course opens up a bit again and offers up some good scoring opportunities. The course is pretty easy to navigate and starts and finishes in the same area. There was no water that came into play while I was there, but hole 15 might have a pond that comes into play after a big rain.
4. Variety of shots- This course does require a degree of skill and a variety of shot/throw types during the "Enchanted Forest" to score low. Outside of the trees, this course is fun for all ages and skill levels. Coupled with the technical holes there is an equal amount of grip and rip holes and the 382' MACK bomber hole for #19 if that's your thing.
5. Scenery- Nice green scenic park with almost no trash and LOTS of other activities.
6. Amenities- I'm not from the area, but I think I saw a full blown Disc Golf store nearby(within 5mi) and there was a flyer on the 1st tee bulletin board. Benches, trash cans on almost every hole.
7. Friendly locals- I happen to show up about 45min after a doubles tournament had done a shotgun start. I was playing by myself and caught up to 2 seperate large groups that immediately let me play through with no hassles. They gave me some pointers on the best ways to play the wooded holes and even helped me find my disc after an errant throw or two.
7. Signage- There were signs for all holes with a general hole layout and distance, but sometimes finding the next tee took a minute to figure out. Not a huge deal and doesn't affect playability.
Cons: 1. Amenities- I didn't see any bathrooms except a bush/tree. I'm sure there were some in the area as there are sporting fields and such, I just didn't notice them. No bag holders if you're into that sort of thing. No drink/snack shop in the area so bring what you need/want.
2. Biologics- While I was there Park goers were not a problem, but I can see them being a huge one during ball games and busy skate park days.
3. Water- This is a personal like/dislike, but I wish this course had some water on it.
Other Thoughts: This is off the beaten path of I-10E/W, but worth the trek to Fairhope as the town is beautiful and has a lot to offer. Careful there are two parks with MUNICIPAL in the name and the DG course is NOT the one by the bay. This was my first time playing this course and would definitely suggest it to anyone looking for DG around Mobile. The trees are just enough to challenge a person, but can get frustrating if you are having a bad luck day. I wanted to give this course a higher mark due to how much I enjoyed it, but due to the above cons and a wierd feeling as though there was something missing I just found a 3.5/4.0 unjustifiable.

Nice Quick Round of Golf

1    3/30/2012   4/24/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: Great tee signs which appear to be accurate in terms of distance and showing hole location. Tees are concrete which given the relative lack of distance required to play the course aren't essential but always nice. Decent mix of shot types with some left and right fairways. One always nice aspect is that the course provides both open and wooded holes which flow pretty well. There is some elevation change to add some variety especially on the last few holes after you leave the woods. The wooded holes are fair. While they are not long typically the fairways are actually playable without cluster---- trees and the greens are puttable which is not always the case with some woods courses. The course itself flows nicely with the rest of the park and with the exception of a few holes stays out of the way of the other patrons of the park. If you're intermediate or below this is a nice intro course into woods play and I would definitely recommend it for that purpose.
Cons: Relative lack of variety with relatively straightforward shots required off the tee. The first 3 holes are all simple, avoid one tree and throw 280 to park the pin holes. After that the variety kicks in. With the exception of holes 6 and 18 not much distance is required to play. If you're a good advanced/pro player expect to score low. Not a lot of trouble (even in the woods holes because they're so short) means easy recovery shots. Holes 13 through 20 play around the baseball fields and skate park which during busy summer days may make them difficult to actually play.
Other Thoughts: I'll be moving to Mobile this summer so this was a scouting trip for me to find a new home course as well as just grab a quick round. I played this course one evening just looking to get in a quick round. It probably took me around an hour and 20 minutes to play, fulfilling my goal. This course won't go on my favorites list but its worth a play if you're in the area and I'll definitely play it again once I move. During my round there was a softball event going on but fortunately most of the other patrons were out of the fairways allowing for me to play the entire course without issue. I can defintely see how during big baseball/softball tournament weekends this could be a huge issue.

Fun Course

5+    3/25/2012   3/28/2012
Review By: DC2FTW
Pros: + Good mix of elevation change
+ Good course to bring people to to get them into the game; very fun, but not overly challenging
+ Decent mix of wooded and wide open shots
+ Clearly marked guide signs to next tee
+ Nice tee pads
+ 2 extra holes - one with a challenging OB right next to a baseball field, and another that's 380 ft or so, on the way from hole 18 towards the parking area.
+ Clean and well maintained
+ Awesome locals
Cons: - Many of the shots curve to the left - this is because the course curves through and around a park with other amenities (baseball fields and the like
- It's likely that on a few of the holes, there will be either too much foot traffic or parked cars to play through. (I believe hole 14's pin is in a grass island directly next to a parking lot, and gets parked on during baseball and football events)
Other Thoughts: This course is well maintained and well played. People are always willing to play through with you and give you pointers and tips. Sometimes the proximity to baseball and football fields can give pucker factor to your shots (don't want to go OB into the field while they're playing ball!)

Overall, great course. I play it whenever I have the chance.

Fairhope

1    3/26/2012   3/26/2012
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: I really enjoyed playing this course, it provided a good challenge. Fairhope is a nice park with many available activities. Dog park, football stadium, ball fields, pool, tennis courts, gym, skateboard park and two separate restrooms. With all this the disc golf rarely interferes with the other activities. Welcome and refreshing change to many other parks I have played. There are plenty of warning signs and the locals seem to actually know what disc golf is.

I found the course to be a very nice mix of wooded and open holes. Good use of the available terrain and trees, every hole has some type of obstacle to test your skills. The fairways in the wooded area are tight but there is a discernable line to play for every hole. The wooded area will definitely test your accuracy. Hole 14 uses an island created by the roads of the park to create an island green. There are concrete pads for all of the blue tees. The red tees are natural marked with two round markers at ground level painted red. There are signs at every tees with many "next tee" signs that help navigate the course. There are score cards with a course map in a mail box by hole #1. The benches by almost every hole are a very welcome touch and there are trash cans by many tees. The course and park was exceptionally clean and all the locals were friendly and helpful. Even the skate boarders helped me find 17, which was the only hole I had problems finding.
Cons: The only negatives I can see is it would be nice if the location of the "red" tees were on the signs.
The other issue is if you make the mistake of parking someplace other than the front parking lot as I did. Finding hole #1 in that case is difficult.
Other Thoughts: This is a course worth playing if you are in the Mobile Al. area.

good course

1    9/24/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: chrishank
Pros: Course layout is probably the easiest layout I have ever played. The flow of the course goes perfect and even if you could not figure it out there is a map b4 hole one. All holes have concrete teepads with an alternate teepads, shorter and not concrete, but easy to tell. The course was well kept up and freshly mowed. A lot of garbage cans placed throughout the course with benches. A very family friendly course.
Cons: The baskets are not updated but still work. Hey I actually like the vintage goals. Course is fairly long with some holes 100 ft plus away from each other. Other than that not much to complain about. A few holes throw close to other stuff, like a dog park and baseball field.
Other Thoughts: I am from chattanooga tennessee and took a trip to the beach. My family and I decided on this course for it was the closest to our motel room. If I ever come back I will play this course again! It would be my favorite if it was not so far away.

5+    8/18/2011   8/24/2011
Review By: aupatking
Pros: Nice Length, all holes can be birdied, some require absolute perfect tee shots to do so. As it should be. Good mix of straight, Hyzer and Anhyzer holes. Nice wooded and open holes.
Cons: Undergrowth is always an issue.
Other Thoughts: Great new signage. Thanks Jim

Nice

1    6/12/2011   6/13/2011
Review By: Manson
Pros: Very nice park with amenities (bathrooms, water) that has an enjoyable 19 holes (someone tell me where 20 is). Nice, large concrete tee pads at each hole. Park is very well kept up. Excellent signage with hole info and several "next hole" arrows.
Cons: Wooded holes were a bit too tight. Lots of pedestrian traffic even early on a Sunday morning. Group of 3 shirtless hillbillies playing a round with their pit bull that wasn't on a lead was annoying, but not the fault of the course. Large group of serious discers also on the course. Holes are mostly short but challenging.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my first time playing here and would gladly play again. Course was well kept up and was interesting enough in variations to want to make me come back and master a few of these holes. Almost had two aces first time there! Missed by a hair! I enjoyed my experience here and intend to come back when it's cooler. It was right around a hundred degrees when I was here and it about killed me. I like Fairhope as it's a pretty town and this course did not disappoint. I read some of the earlier reviews and they are wrong. I never went when the course apparently sucked. No more suckage, I give it a thumbs up and intend to go back and hit one or two of those possible aces!

Has Been much improved apparently

5+    1/27/2011   1/30/2011
Review By: AvengerTruth
Pros: Tee boxes on all 20 holes along with a very detailed layout on each hole. Great mixture of wooded and open holes. Very challenging course, you really have to think about your shot. I am not a super long driver (probably avg 275-300) so I like the distance of the holes. Easy to navigate and just a very pleasant place to play
Cons: I would like to see some of the brush cleared out, it can be difficult to find your disc at times. Not a neccessity, but it would be nice to clear the lanes of a few trees. I like the challenge, but it would help a little I think.
Other Thoughts: For all the people who had bad experiences in the past, try it again. I am very new to the sport so I have only had the good course. All the cons I have read are all things that have apparently been fixed. Give it another shot, I am there at least once a week

< Prev 1 2 3