Fairhope, AL
Fairhope Municipal Park Share
Uploaded By: catiadude69 Hole #8 (Taken 11/2009)
3 / 166ft.   3 / 249ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Fairhope Fun

1    5/6/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: Ninja_Disc_Master
Pros: 1. Tee Pads - "Pro" tees are cement with enough length and smoothness for confidence in footing for almost any throwing style. Recretional tees are natural and pretty well defined.
2. Cages- Cages were pretty easy to locate and in good shape with the exception of a couple that are in the darker wooded areas and no extra paint or markers applied. Does not affect playability just takes a bit to locate sometimes.
3. Layout- Starts out with some nice "open" holes to allow the arm to warm up with some precision required for approach/putting to score low. Then it goes into to the "Enchanted Forest" where trees seem to reach out and grab your disc at every opportunity. Creativity and precision is the name of the game in here to score low or expect at least a couple of bogeys until you get out of the trees. Once you exit the trees, the course opens up a bit again and offers up some good scoring opportunities. The course is pretty easy to navigate and starts and finishes in the same area. There was no water that came into play while I was there, but hole 15 might have a pond that comes into play after a big rain.
4. Variety of shots- This course does require a degree of skill and a variety of shot/throw types during the "Enchanted Forest" to score low. Outside of the trees, this course is fun for all ages and skill levels. Coupled with the technical holes there is an equal amount of grip and rip holes and the 382' MACK bomber hole for #19 if that's your thing.
5. Scenery- Nice green scenic park with almost no trash and LOTS of other activities.
6. Amenities- I'm not from the area, but I think I saw a full blown Disc Golf store nearby(within 5mi) and there was a flyer on the 1st tee bulletin board. Benches, trash cans on almost every hole.
7. Friendly locals- I happen to show up about 45min after a doubles tournament had done a shotgun start. I was playing by myself and caught up to 2 seperate large groups that immediately let me play through with no hassles. They gave me some pointers on the best ways to play the wooded holes and even helped me find my disc after an errant throw or two.
7. Signage- There were signs for all holes with a general hole layout and distance, but sometimes finding the next tee took a minute to figure out. Not a huge deal and doesn't affect playability.
Cons: 1. Amenities- I didn't see any bathrooms except a bush/tree. I'm sure there were some in the area as there are sporting fields and such, I just didn't notice them. No bag holders if you're into that sort of thing. No drink/snack shop in the area so bring what you need/want.
2. Biologics- While I was there Park goers were not a problem, but I can see them being a huge one during ball games and busy skate park days.
3. Water- This is a personal like/dislike, but I wish this course had some water on it.
Other Thoughts: This is off the beaten path of I-10E/W, but worth the trek to Fairhope as the town is beautiful and has a lot to offer. Careful there are two parks with MUNICIPAL in the name and the DG course is NOT the one by the bay. This was my first time playing this course and would definitely suggest it to anyone looking for DG around Mobile. The trees are just enough to challenge a person, but can get frustrating if you are having a bad luck day. I wanted to give this course a higher mark due to how much I enjoyed it, but due to the above cons and a wierd feeling as though there was something missing I just found a 3.5/4.0 unjustifiable.

Nice Quick Round of Golf

1    3/30/2012   4/24/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: Great tee signs which appear to be accurate in terms of distance and showing hole location. Tees are concrete which given the relative lack of distance required to play the course aren't essential but always nice. Decent mix of shot types with some left and right fairways. One always nice aspect is that the course provides both open and wooded holes which flow pretty well. There is some elevation change to add some variety especially on the last few holes after you leave the woods. The wooded holes are fair. While they are not long typically the fairways are actually playable without cluster---- trees and the greens are puttable which is not always the case with some woods courses. The course itself flows nicely with the rest of the park and with the exception of a few holes stays out of the way of the other patrons of the park. If you're intermediate or below this is a nice intro course into woods play and I would definitely recommend it for that purpose.
Cons: Relative lack of variety with relatively straightforward shots required off the tee. The first 3 holes are all simple, avoid one tree and throw 280 to park the pin holes. After that the variety kicks in. With the exception of holes 6 and 18 not much distance is required to play. If you're a good advanced/pro player expect to score low. Not a lot of trouble (even in the woods holes because they're so short) means easy recovery shots. Holes 13 through 20 play around the baseball fields and skate park which during busy summer days may make them difficult to actually play.
Other Thoughts: I'll be moving to Mobile this summer so this was a scouting trip for me to find a new home course as well as just grab a quick round. I played this course one evening just looking to get in a quick round. It probably took me around an hour and 20 minutes to play, fulfilling my goal. This course won't go on my favorites list but its worth a play if you're in the area and I'll definitely play it again once I move. During my round there was a softball event going on but fortunately most of the other patrons were out of the fairways allowing for me to play the entire course without issue. I can defintely see how during big baseball/softball tournament weekends this could be a huge issue.

Fairhope

1    3/26/2012   3/26/2012
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: I really enjoyed playing this course, it provided a good challenge. Fairhope is a nice park with many available activities. Dog park, football stadium, ball fields, pool, tennis courts, gym, skateboard park and two separate restrooms. With all this the disc golf rarely interferes with the other activities. Welcome and refreshing change to many other parks I have played. There are plenty of warning signs and the locals seem to actually know what disc golf is.

I found the course to be a very nice mix of wooded and open holes. Good use of the available terrain and trees, every hole has some type of obstacle to test your skills. The fairways in the wooded area are tight but there is a discernable line to play for every hole. The wooded area will definitely test your accuracy. Hole 14 uses an island created by the roads of the park to create an island green. There are concrete pads for all of the blue tees. The red tees are natural marked with two round markers at ground level painted red. There are signs at every tees with many "next tee" signs that help navigate the course. There are score cards with a course map in a mail box by hole #1. The benches by almost every hole are a very welcome touch and there are trash cans by many tees. The course and park was exceptionally clean and all the locals were friendly and helpful. Even the skate boarders helped me find 17, which was the only hole I had problems finding.
Cons: The only negatives I can see is it would be nice if the location of the "red" tees were on the signs.
The other issue is if you make the mistake of parking someplace other than the front parking lot as I did. Finding hole #1 in that case is difficult.
Other Thoughts: This is a course worth playing if you are in the Mobile Al. area.

5+    8/18/2011   8/24/2011
Review By: aupatking
Pros: Nice Length, all holes can be birdied, some require absolute perfect tee shots to do so. As it should be. Good mix of straight, Hyzer and Anhyzer holes. Nice wooded and open holes.
Cons: Undergrowth is always an issue.
Other Thoughts: Great new signage. Thanks Jim

Typical, Tight and Fun

1    4/23/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: amanandhisdiscs
Pros: Front 9 holes are mostly open, while the back 9 are mostly tight, wooded shots requiring a good deal of accuracy. Woods are not too dense, so losing discs is not an issue.
Cons: Holes 17 and 18 are a little confusing as they have recently built a skate park that changes the layout. Hole 18 starts in between the building and the stadium bleachers.
Other Thoughts: Very little human activity. However, the course does play out and around the maintenance building, street and other activity areas, so beware.

Way to go, Fairhope.

2-4    8/11/2011   6/3/2008
Review By: ZipperBlueZ
This review was updated on 8/18/2011
Pros: Very nice, new tees, with new benches at EVERY tee. Beautifully done sheet metal tee signs. Extremely long 20 hole course. Good use of the property as far as hole variety goes.
Cons: The 8 holes in the woods are super-tight, unforgiving, and in a couple of places straight up unfair. Most holes are either straight or dogleg lefts, I can't remember a dogleg right on the course.
Other Thoughts: I first played this course 5 years ago, and it has improved dramatically since then. The new signage worked wonders. I can tell the local DG community really rallied, and some passionate people put a lot of time and effort into bringing this course up to date. Congratulations to those of you who obviously love this course.