Osceola, IN
Ferrettie Baugo Creek County Park Share

Check it out

5+    8/19/2015   8/19/2015
Review By: maccoy20
Pros: It's not too difficult of a course. I went almost everyday this summer and didn't get bored with it.
Cons: Hole 8 is easy to lose a disc because it is just two lines of trees that you throw down.
Other Thoughts: A few holes are difficult to find if you haven't played there before, but there are sufficient markings to get to each hole.

Short & Sweet & Schizophrenic

1    6/13/2015   6/13/2015
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - In a multi-use park where the disc golf is away from the other activities.
- Concrete tee pads
- All baskets in place and despite their age they seem to be in good shape.
- Some really neat holes throughout the course. 11 is to me the signature hole in this course. It has three different tees and from the long tee is basically a double dog-leg.
- I know some other reviewers complained of trash on the course but today I didn't see any.
- I noticed on the map that 9 and 10 have alternate positions for winter play so not to interfere with the rather large sledding hill. A nice touch really and apparently Oceola folk take their sledding seriously as I noticed there are 2 snow makers for that hill.
- It's a well beat in course so the rough is rough but not hellishly so.
- For the most part (with a few exceptions) the flow of the course felt natural so finding the next tee wasn't too painful.
- Really enjoyed the long downhill shot off of 10.
Cons: - #8 is just plain bizarre and schizophrenic. The first seven holes are meandering short holes winding through the woods and then all of the sudden BAM. 600' dead straight 20' wide fairway...LOL WUT? I'm all for variety and the first seven holes certainly were not delivering but this hole is just way out of place here.
- No water hazards? Really? There's a pretty little lake there and Baugo Creek is just a stones throw away from the course. Those really ought to be incorporated.
- The walk between 12 and 13 was just silly. The little next tee sign had a zig zag arrow and so I zig zagged looking for the 13 tee. With the help of the map on the scorecard I managed to zig zag to the right spot. With a first visit getting a copy of the map is crucial.
- Pay to play...I am all for pay to play courses and I certainly understand why they exist. However, if you're going to charge me $4 to park and $5 to play then things need to be in better shape. There were few if any benches. The tee signs are nice but with the money coming in how about a hole map on each tee?
- While it is nice to have concrete pads these are just way too small. Especially if you're a taller fella like myself taking longer strides I constantly felt like my feet were going to wind up off the pad.
- There are A LOT of sub 300' holes here. Almost too many.
Now for the score I had to ask myself...is it spectacular? Well, not really. It just doesn't rank up there like a Rogers Lakewood or Hickory Hills so I really don't understand where some of these 4 disc ratings are coming from. Also, the pay to play issue really rubs me wrong when the course isn't up to snuff and it should be for $9. Sheez.

This course could really benefit from some redesigning. #8 just needs to go away...kill it with fire...whatever. I see no reason why this could not be broken up into 2 300' holes and keep some, if not most of the fairways in the woods. Also another hole should be added between 12 and 13 to reduce that silly walk. I also think there's plenty of room to add holes near the lake and along the creek. You get a 27 hole course here and that would be special.

If I lived in the area I'd be all over buying a year pass and play here frequently. But, it takes me about an hour to drive here and with the $9 cost just doesn't seem worth it to me when there are free and almost free options in the are which are just as good, if not, better.

Something for everyone

2-4    5/5/2015   5/14/2015
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Ferrettie Baugo... That's one of the more entertaining course names I've heard so far. Not bland like "George Wilson" or a frat house like "Rum Village". And yet it was the one area course I hadn't played during any of my visits. I was missing out.

This was by far the best course I played in Michiana. I wanted so badly to find something to hate. I love listing "cons" on out of town courses and seeing how many "thumbs down" I can collect by offending locals (not many apparently). But I just can't hate this course. It has all that makes Rum Village and Ox Bow great, plus more.

Equipment: The baskets aren't new. They clearly aren't 30 years old either though. Despite being at least several years old and on a wooded course, they've held up pretty well. You have your bent baskets here and there, but they're in far better condition than one would expect overall.

The teepads are concrete for every hole and every position except for the red 8. That one is just marked.

Navigation: The navigation is straightforward and fairly simple. The first teepad is right at the parking lot with a map and a kiosk, and the 18 basket is there too. Every basket is located relatively close to the following teepad, and those that aren't obvious have painted bits of concrete in the ground that guide the player to the next tee. These are close enough to the basket that they can't be missed, so no basket tape is needed. I only found myself getting lost once, and that's because I didn't pay close enough attention to the aforementioned painted concrete.

Every hole has a post giving the distance and par. They kind of point you in the right direction too, but if you try to throw the wrong way from a tee please let me know so I can make fun of you.

Design: The design is where this course truly shines. It offers a tiny bit of elevation change due to the tubing hill. The shot down the hill for hole 10 is likely the signature hole on the course, battled closely by the 600' tunnel shot for hole 8. The designer utilized a large portion of the park while encroaching minimally on other activities. The only place that this happens at all is the shot across the road on hole 10. The course includes short technical holes, long open ones, and some fairly unique looks through the woods. The course offers short and long, open and technical, straight and turning, right and left turning, uphill and downhill... It really offers everything that I look for in a course. It's still not a "5", but it's a solid course and well worth a stop.

Probably my favorite part about the design is that it offers something for everyone. The blue and red tees are shared through most of the wooded shots, but the pars are different. So a new player can learn how to throw a disc in the woods without being hammered over the head with bogey after triple bogey. Then out in the open on a few of the holes you find multiple tees for red, white, and blue to keep challenging you. That said, the par isn't challenging to a high level player... But for the rest of us, playing under par from the reds is easy... Playing under from the whites is reachable... And playing under from the blues is possible on a day that it all goes right.
Cons: Equipment: I already stated that the baskets were in good condition, but they could still use some straightening. It's on me, but I missed at least one putt because the skewed basket got in my head.

The teepads felt too short, and some weren't level with the ground. Plus they don't grip all that well. So a runup was risky at best. Many of the holes are too short to require a runup, but a 600' hole definitely needs a longer and grippier teepad.

Navigation: The only con here was the walkout from 12 to 13. It was marked on the concrete, but it was longer than I expected. A few of the longer holes through the woods would benefit from a sign too, so new visitors don't have to walk out the hole if they don't want to.

Design: No complaints here. I would have liked to have seen some longer holes through the woods (300+'), but it seems like that would probably mess with the flow of the course overall.

Other cons: The trash was a bit disturbing. Almost every blue tee has a trash can by it with the hole number painted on it, yet I found quite a bit of trash in the woods.

The par: Again. Third course in Indiana where I've played a course that sets its par too high. Hole 7 is 300' down a fairly open fairway, and they call it a par 4. It's great for driving one's score down, but come on... And then to call the 600' hole that follows it a 4? By Indiana logic, that one should be a par 17. And yes, I know that it's all about how many shots you throw overall and what your round was rated, but I still like being challenged to throw a course under par.

The cost... I'm a proponent for pay to play courses when the funds are used properly. This course is not in disrepair, the vandalism was low (other than someone named "Brionne" who allegedly aced every hole on the course...), and the grass was mowed, so no complaints about how the funding was used. $4 per round isn't that crazy either. But I still have to mention the price because some people do consider it a con. Keep in mind that season passes are cheap and well worth the investment if you're going to put in 10 or more rounds per year. (I hear that they'll charge an additional $4 for parking, but all the guy at the gate asked was what I was there for, and then for $4.)
Other Thoughts: All in all, this course is a great one and easily my favorite in this area. It offers a little bit of everything that makes our sport great. It has enough to keep players of almost all skill levels coming back and being challenged. And playing the red tees is fun for players intermediate and above because it literally gives you a chance to play even lower than 18 down. I set my personal best par through an 18 hole course here, and I didn't even throw that well.

2-4    4/21/2015   4/22/2015
Review By: Jpopi1995
Pros: - Course was very easy to find
- Park was well maintained
- Trash cans make tee off's much easier to find (Hole numbers posted on each trash can)
- Holes were diverse in the lengths
- Great course for people trying to play in dense woods
Cons: - Pretty woody for the beginning player
- Cost 4 bucks to play
- Can only play till 8:30
- After hole 9 it is a short walk to the next tee (would be nice if they posted exactly where to walk)
Other Thoughts: Overall I am pretty pleased with this course, it was fun and had a great mix of things. When visiting this course take a close look at the tree's that are placed in the path you'll find some tree have almost no bark on one side from being hit with discs (Just funny to see)

5+    4/3/2014   4/4/2014
Review By: Indiana574
Pros: Great course lots of short shots but you gotta be strategic an a couple long holes. Garbage cans all over great park
Cons: The course is short but hey that way you get in more games
Other Thoughts: Hole ten is great when the tee is on top the hill

Worth a shot

1    3/29/2013   11/20/2013
Review By: B3NDER
Pros: Park has other amenities going on here (playground, fishing, swimming, and room to have a picnic) Good mix of elevation and wooded/clear areas.

-Course itself seems to be open all year long, which is nice.

This place was relatively clean when we came through to play, with trash cans for debris at nearly every hole. Nothing better than a clean park to disc in.

Mach 3 metal baskets, and in decent shape, plenty of life left in them. Also has a practice basket.

- We played the "winter setup" when we were there, which switches up a few holes, but not too drastically that we didn't get the overall feel of the course.

The teepads were concrete and were in good shape.
- Also the navigation here is simple as can be. We were given a map up front and most holes had signs for the next tee to guide you along.

Decent mix of shots and variety to be had here. Longest hole is 600' (Hole 8, blue tee) and the shortest is 150' (Hole 12, all tees) and you have some tight wooded shots as well as a few open shots to test your game here.
- As I feel this is more a beginner friendly course, with lots of ace run opportunities for more experienced players.
- Most lines here seem to be pretty obvious, but can still test you if you're having an off day.

- In Spring/Summer months, hole 10's tee is at the top of a tubing hill which would make for some awesome shots and nail-biting ace run attempts if you really put it out there.

Cons: A bit pricey for what you get (4.00 to enter the park if non-resident, as well as 4.00 to play disc golf for the day) Not HORRIBLE if you want to add the course to your played list, but other, free options are around that you could spend your time at.

The course itself is rather short, which may not be a con for all but in this case I thought that fit here.
- Won't really challenge the advanced player as I stated.

- No real risk/reward to be had here (aside from dodging the disc eating pine tree on hole 8) so most will probably stick to the obvious stated lines. There IS opportunity for water hazards to come into play, but has not been utilized at this time.

A few pads and baskets are located rather close to each other, so caution needs to exercised on those particular holes. (Hole 6 basket, to Hole 7 tee, NOT MUCH SPACE)

Other Thoughts: While not an amazing course, it certainly isn't bad by any means. I fully believe that aside from leaving the water out of play, that this course has just about taken advantage of every possible aspect of the park itself that was allowed (What little elevation change there is comes into play, as well as tight wooded areas, and a few open spots to boot)

This place is good if you are looking for a spot to test out your straight on tunnel shot drives, as well as if you're just out to try and hit some aces on the shorter holes. Your socks wont fly off with excitement here (aside from possibly the cost to play and enter the park if you're not local) but I would still say play this course if you get the chance.

fun little course--emphasis on little

1    3/29/2013   3/29/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic/upkeep- this course is multi-use but the disc golf areas seem to be near dg exclusive with the exception of the winter 9/10 combo. the upkeep here is relatively impecible. there are garbages on EVERY hole and they have big numbers on them to help improve the visibility of the tees.

Tees- nice and concrete, but a little short on some of the longer holes.

Baskets- older DGA's but in really quite good condition.

Routing/Nav- about as simple as it gets. with the map that is given when you enter and the "next tee" markers that are present in the trickier spots.

the sadistic #11-- Number 11 from the longs is sadistic but I loved it. Threw a 4 on a par 5.

#10--even though I didn't get to play #10 from the top of the hill, it looks like it would be a blast!

WINTER TEES--HUGE PLUS HERE. by keeping the baskets "in" and not simply pulling them for the winter is freakin' genius! I wish more courses did this simple little redesign for winter!

Signage-- when it's there, it's nice to know hole lengths. I would prefer maps or at least directionals but it's not really needed here
Cons: Length/Variety- the hole lengths are a bit short and the variety is a bit ho-hum. I will say that the available land is used fairly well.

the lake- why is it not in play!?!??! that would be an absolutely awesome shot!! and it's so close to 10's basket, it would be a very natural transition!

the rough--we played in march, it was not that bad but I'm sure that once the trees start to bud the rough becomes sadistic!

Other Thoughts: great course, the pay to play here is a bit expensive but the upkeep makes it worth it!!

Love it!

5+    7/30/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: stoltzjl77
Pros: Lots of technical shots, forces you to shape shots and use multiple discs due to varying lengths. Challenges even the most accurate arms but plenty of opportunities even for beginners.

Course is well maintained (which is to be expected when we have to pay to play) and the yearly pass is reasonably priced.
Cons: Not a lot of elevation changes and no holes where water comes into play (unless you count #10, which I don't).
#8 needs to be better trimmed on the second half of the fairway, it is sadistic enough without all the overhanging branches!
Other Thoughts: I really like this course, even though it can be frustrating at times. Stay in the fairways or you are in for a long round. You have to pay close attention to the shape of your shots as small trees and branches you don't always notice from the tee will reach out and grab that perfectly straight shot you just launched at the basket! Great place to work on your technical game.

Decent but better options available.

1    7/1/2012   7/1/2012
Review By: cmchavis
Pros: There are some good points to this course, I would definitely consider this a beginners course though. With that being said - it is fun going for Aces on most of the holes.

I appreciate the concrete tees - they are short though, basically two sidewalk squares long. Easy to compensate by starting behind the tees though. Holes with multiple tees have all tees paved.

There are 4 holes with multiple tee placements for Pro/Adv/Beginners which cuts down the length of the course for beginners. Using the pro tees - the longest hole is 600 feet with a couple 400ft holes in there. Using the Beginners tees - drops the 'big' hole down to less than 300ft and makes the longest hole on the course 355ft. The short tees on a couple holes just change the distance like on 8 - on other holes it changes the need to throw a specific line into a straight shot.

There are plenty of Ace opportunities - for everyone - with 14 of the 18 holes at less than 280ft all that's really needed is some successful lines through the trees.

This course has obvious lines to play on each hole, if you can hit them, you're going to be in golden.

Navigation on the course is dead simple - there is a map that you can get at the Pro Shop when you enter that has the course layout, but on holes where the next basket is not next to the previous tee there are painted concrete signs in the ground giving directions to the next tee. Obviously these are probably useless in the winter, but a nice addition.

The course looks like it is open year round since there are alternate winter placements for holes 9 and 10 which normally reside on a tubing hill.

The rough on this course is non-existent on a couple holes, sparse on others and thick, but still manageable on the rest. Nothing where throwing a bad shot will leave you looking for a disc for hours - you might have a hard time getting it down from a pine tree on 8, but you'll most likely see it up in the tree taunting you.

Cons: There are two issues I have with this course and park. The cost to play this park is $4 for out of county residents to enter the park and an additional $4.00 to play disc golf. For $8.00 - I'd pick either Rum Village or George Wilson ($2) over this course to play if I was passing through this area. Locally, it's probably worth the $50 pass for parking and golf combined. Otherwise, the $4.00 to play DG was fine, but on top of parking, that pushed it past the 'reasonable' stage.

It's short - no getting around that.

Hole 6 basket and hole 7 tee are really close together. An errant throw on 6 to the basket and you definitely could hit someone teeing off on 7.
Other Thoughts: Not a pro or a con, but hole 8 - the 600 foot straight shot through the pine trees is a dangerous shot because the pine trees are old and thick. They eat discs if you accidentally throw into them and getting a disc stuck 16' up a pine tree isn't fun to try to get down. It'd be nice if the park provided poles for disc retrieval on that hole.

Seeing the winter placements for holes 9 and 10 sounds intriguing - if it didn't cost $8 to play here in the winter, it would be a fun and short course to spend some time on come snow season.

I would probably rate this course a 3 (Good) rather than 2.5 (Typical) if it didn't cost as much and there was a little more distance on the holes.

There are trashcans at most of the holes and the course is well maintained. It's obvious that they put the money that they collect back into the course and they did what they could with the land, but there are better options out there.

Park closes at 8, or so the man at the gate told us.

1    4/30/2011   5/1/2011
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a decently sized park, comprised mostly of forest with a few open spots. Seems like there could be some oblivious park goers on walking trails on a nice day, but it wouldn't interfere too badly
- Holes in the forest provide a lot of different lines. In general, the fairways were pretty open with scattered trees to force some tighter. Awesome mix of hyzer, straight, and anny lines, with some little tricks here and there. Difficulty ranges from super easy to very technical.
- Open areas provide some great variety as well. A long, narrowing fairway on #8 tests raw straight-on distance, and the short uphill shot on #9 is followed by a 450' bomber. Good complement to the wooded holes.
- A lot of protected baskets, which mostly comes into play off the tee. Line shaping is influenced by this as much as obstacles in the fairway, leading to more shot variety.
- Decent mix of hole lengths, though they definitely border on the short side. There are many that are very short, others that are short, and three long ones mixed in to test good distance. Overall, the course stresses accuracy over anything else, and there are a multitude of birdie chances.
- Good teepads, baskets, and signage. Blocks in the ground aid in navigation, too. Course seemed very well maintained. Practice basket.
Cons: - To a lot of players, the short hole lengths will be the biggest con. Many holes feel like simple approaches, with eight under 235'. Although none are completely wide open, there is usually a clear line around patches of trees.
- Bad shots aren't punished that harshly here; with short hole lengths and medium rough, saving par is usually not that hard. Road OB is present in some spots as well, but there aren't many hazardous spots to be found.
- Heads up at all times, especially on teepads located right by baskets.
Other Thoughts: - This is a fantastic course for beginners, with a wide variety of shots to be found, as well as different types of holes. Few hazards also help to keep it from being too frustrating. More advanced players will probably get bored quickly, due to the short hole lengths, but it's definitely worth at least one round.
- Don't let the train horns distract your putting!