Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #14 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #14 Blue Tee

Punishing but fun

1    8/10/2011   8/31/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a nice wooded corner of the park with no interference from other activities. There are great hills throughout that are used to create challenging and memorable shots, along with some nice views out over the lake. The majority of the holes play down tree lined fairways with nice punishing rough waiting to make you pay in strokes for errant shots. There are three sets of tees that change up the length and difficulty of the course quite a bit and offer appropriate challenges to a wide range of players. Decent signs at the middle and long tees along with next tee signs make the course easy to figure out and follow.

There is a great mix of different challenges here, with a nice balance of hole lengths and shapes that require players to have a mastery of just about eve type of shot to be successful. Many of the holes are long, but the length is used to create well designed multi-shot holes that make you concentrate on your fairway drives to have a chance at par. The rubber tees were well laid, and the baskets were in fine shape.
Cons: On long wooded holes, especially blind ones, it's frustrating to not know which pin placement is in use. This is especially annoying when the pins offer such different lengths and hole shapes. The rough is good and thick at times, not a big con to me but it does take away some level of creativity when a shanked shot means you'll just be pitching back onto the fairway. A couple spots on the course felt just a little too lucky and pinbally to me.
Other Thoughts: This course calls for accuracy, shot placement, and consistent long drives in tight quarters. You'll need a full arsenal of shots to tackle this course and even so every player will find themself stuck in tricky spots throughout the course. The three sets of tees provide great challenges for intermediate, advanced and pro players respectively, beginners without patience and a sense of humor about being stuck in the rou won't have any fun here.

One of the funnest courses out there

2-4    9/1/2011   8/31/2011
Review By: Ripper
Pros: Played this course literally right after playing Deer Lake's casually and just after the PFDO tourney. I was tired, aching, etc. and very little energy left to play this course but ran into the course pro at Deer Lakes and decided what the heck. Made the trip north as I really wanted to see hole 15 in Moraine which most people say is one of the best looking holes in Disc Golf. Really just decided to walk it more or less. First two shots I parked from the blue tees so after that it was like a shot of adrenaline. Then went all out.
Hole 1 - was a nice straight teebird shot.
Hole 2 - was an elevated shot that wasn't as hard as it looked and actually got a teebird within 15 feet.
Hole 3 had a little bit of ob in the middle but was well protected but I threw a few midranges and came close to them. Really don't remember some of the holes but just remembered thinking that wow i'm playing this course great! Then came hole 6 on.
Hole 6 was an amazing hole and one of my favorite holes I've ever played. There are so many different way to play it. It's just a 675 foot hole that has a row of trees like straight down the middle, but tight enough to take a hyzer flip risky, and makes just a straight shot risky as the center trees can kick it out into the rough on either side. Did a long turnover, and then a forehand roller and have to say this hole was awesome! The rest of the holes are great, but loved 15 of course, 16, 18 and 6. Really don't remember the rest of the holes to really tell you what ones I really loved but going through this course, it's almost like the designer knew what ppl were thinking when they step up to the teebox. See something that you can turnover, and it makes it through but puts you into jail were you have to forehand roll, pancake, etc. Some hate this type of course but the whole time all I could think of was Idlewild. When you really think of Idlewild every hole has almost it's own signature. Your not just throwing discs through trees, you are planning your shot ahead. Think it makes a tactical side of disc golf, vs just big hyzer and putt. Loved some of the shots like 9 I believe it is when I through a predator vs hyzering a midrange and almost like they dare you to do that as I found myself right in a clump of trees with no shots to the basket. Hole 12 I believe it was is a hyzer shot that is in the open but always puts you in a situation where you have to forehand or hyzer through a line to the basket. Great hole. Hole 15 you walk out and you just see a tiny dog leg, and the wind makes for a fun time also. It's a beautiful shot and another one where you have to really trust how far you can throw a disc, as 350 out is a small grove of trees. Probably my proudest moment was flexing a shot that sailed past the grove of trees and gave me a shot at the basket. But where most ppl would drive there is OB if you turn it over to much or dense woods if you use too mean of a disc. Hole 16 was my favorite hole on the course. Another one where you have to plan your shot. Also, like that it is a hyzer so you can get a skip off the packed earth and will make for a harder approach shot. Hole 18 what is there to say about what Jerry said was one of the hardest shots in Disc Golf. The landing zones are perfect with two creeks that play as OB and then there is a tree right in the middle so you have to use a pretty fast disc and flex it past it if you want to get to the far landing zone. Loved it. This course has everything that I love about Disc Golf and I shot almost what my rating is which is unfortunate for me, lol but great for the people who designed the course.
Cons: None I loved this friggin course. Of course no concrete teepads, some older looking signs etc, but that's like a mole on Jessica Alba. Really doesn't hurt the beauty of it at all.
Other Thoughts: Takes a special course when you are getting ready to drive 6 hrs back to Cincinati, your tired from the long weekend and you decide to stick around and play it. Then play it again. Kid you not at hole 12 I didn't even know if I could walk anymore lol I was that tired! Yet I still played 15 again and 18! Needless to say that it was a loooong, painful, and very smelly trip home but between Deer Lakes and Morraine really loved them both. Morraine is idlewild. Every hole at original Idlewild is one of my favorite holes just because you can play them so many differant ways. Morraine is the same. The holes leave a lasting impression on you, just like Idlewild. Have never found holes that top holes 1,2,3,5,6,10,11,13 long, 14 long,15, 16, 18 at idlewild lol but Morraine has a few that I would put up there and already itching to play again. Be honest Deer Lakes, and many other courses with all there beauty do not leave you with that same I want to play that hole again to see if this will work, etc. Morraine is the only other course that I have ever played other than Idlewild that has done that to me so it is up there as one of my favorite courses of all time!

WOWZERS!

1    7/30/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: Brall
This review was updated on 9/15/2011
Pros: - Beautiful Grade A park with plenty of parking, pavilions, beach, grills etc…
- Bathroom right near Hole #1 tee
- Multiple disc golf signs directing you to the course
- Map is very accurate
- Practice basket located near Hole #1
- 3 tees for every hole! Colored concrete or wood markers for each tee.
- Multiple basket locations for most holes
- Fantastic rubber mats for tees and there is a broom located at every hole!
- Excellent Tee Signs (2 per hole on most!)
- Good placement for Next Tee signs
- Baskets are in excellent condition and well labeled
- Very well marked OB's. I've never seen so much effort put into marking OB's permanently like that.
- A lot of work went into the bridges and the drainage trenches all throughout this course
- The upkeep on this course is phenomenal! All the fairways were well mowed and there were some fairways so deep in the woods I really have no idea how they got a mower back there. They are doing just a wonderful job keeping this course well manicured.
- The course flows well. #1 starts at the parking lot and #18 ends at the parking lot. It can be a little tricky getting from #3 to #4 and from #10 to #11 because you not only cross the road but you also cross paths between holes (figure 8 style). One important note, if you are at Hole #9 and you would like to head to the parking lot to take a break (eat food, hit the bathroom), there is a path right by the basket toward the parking lot. The path is well trodden but the entrance to the path is not marked and a little hard to see.
- An unbelievable mix of shots are required. There are some open areas but the course is mostly wooded but plenty of places to really rip your drives. Just a fantastic design for a course with obstacles and twists and turns which will constantly challenge you.
- The course is sent in some thick and beautiful woods over a rolling landscape. The scenery opens up such as Hole #15 which gives you a wonderful view of the lake the top of the forest as it continues on.
- This is a long distance course that will give you exercise and push your stamina, especially on those hot July/August Ohio days. Combine the long distances with the elevation changes and now you have this absolutely incredible course with multiple signature holes.
- Heavy traffic from disc golfers but low traffic from walkers and hikers.
- Very clean course with no vandalism and there are benches all throughout the course
Cons: - Need another Next Tee sign from #8 to #9 as the path was difficult to find. Also could use another Next Tee sign to help from #10 to #11. Navigated between these is a bit tricky your first time out. Bring a map your first trek out.
Other Thoughts: - Very fun course, bring the family and make a day of it at the beach and the course.
- A highly challenging course that made me really consider every shot I threw.
- What is my favorite hole? Too many signature holes to choose from! For me, it's a three-way-tie between #6, #7 & #15. #6 is a looooooong flat straight fairway split by trees down the middle. This hole really challenges me because one of the hardest throws in disc golf is a low-flat-straight shot. #7 is downhill, out and into the open Over Top of trees! Wow, I love this hole. #15 is an 852' beast, downhill, starts in the open, curves right, some trees blocking your shots to the basket at the bottom of the hill. I think I'll have dreams about #15 :).
- This is a destination course for any road trip. Huge thanks to the crew that is doing such a fantastic job on the upkeep. I will work hard to come back as much as I possibly can.
- Edit 09/15/2011 - Message from a course rep, "Hello. I just read your review on MSP and I wanted to inform you that we recently installed professional grade directional signs, distance markers and OB signs throughout the course. Signage was installed just prior to this year's National Tour event on Aug 27-28."

Good but could be great

1    7/29/2011   7/29/2011
Review By: fasteddy8170
Pros: The terrain and scenery were exceptional. I am from Las Vegas where the courses are flat and fairly treeless. This course is exactly the opposite and that's what made it interesting.

This course also offers a variety of tree-covered fairways and open air fairways which was nice.

I only played the pro tees but it offers beginner and intermediate tees which makes it good for new people. Playing the pro tees could get frustrating for an absolute beginner.

The landscaping and geography of the course are fairly well thought-out and I didn't find the course to be tough to navigate at all.

Cons: Keep in mind: I used all the yellow tees. As I was playing, I was thinking this course was a little TOO tough. I don't mean to sound like a wimp but on a couple of the holes you play 400ft., straight uphill, dogleg hard right, with 50 trees in the fairway. And the hole is supposed to be a par 4 . . . Huh? I get that no course designer wants to make a course "easy" but at some point I think the line has to be drawn. The course feels like a nature walk that just happens to have a disc golf course on it. The fairways in the woods holes are literally four feet wide and if you end up three feet off any of them you can start adding multiple strokes. Once again, I have no problems with narrow fairways but narrow AND 465ft. Long? It just seems like overkill. And what happens with the difficulty is that shot selection is severely limited. There is only one hole, 15, where you can really boom a drive. But the other 17 all you need is a Roc and a putter. Why bother with any other kinds of discs since any drive over 200 feet is going to run into a tree? I just think the potential of the course is being limited by its overt difficulty. My suggestion: take out half the trees and change par to the course to about a 58. This would cause players to use some creativity and skill. Right now, getting a decent score on the course feels like luck.

Tantalizingly Technical

2-4    4/9/2011   4/19/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Moraine State Park is worth a trip even if you don't play disc golf. Natural beauty abounds here.

This is one of the best maintained courses I have played. The fairways are mowed tight and the rough is trimmed. There are so many courses that have rough that swallows discs with thick funk that claims disc after disc. On the flip side, some courses are too forgiving. The rough doesn't present enough of a challenge for errant throws. This course nails it perfectly. The rough makes your next shot tougher but you should leave with your bag intact.

This is an intellectual layout. Don't think you can just walk up and gun n' run here. You had better scope the lines and dare I say...disc down at times for accuracy. There are multiple landing zones on many holes. Playing smart and reserved is key for success.

There is sweet elevation here. There are multiple elevated tees and also elevated pins.

There are 3 rubber pads per hole. I love this! This is a pro caliber course, no doubt. It is challenging and calls for accurancy and distance equally. Newer players benefit most from the 3 tee layout. You can take it easy or rock with the golds.

The distance is top shelf. The gold course spans over 8200ft. for a standard 18 holes. Boom!
Cons: I can only nitpick here.

The navigation is weak at times. My first time here, I actually played hole 18 after 13. The course has some next tee signs but not all are prominent.

2 holes in particular hold this course back a bit for me. Hole 11 seems out of place. It doesn't seem to match with the distance or design of this course. Then there is hole 12. This hole is perhaps the only hole on this technical layout I would consider unfair. I actually had some locals tell me I had a lucky shot cause I made good distance to the pin from the first landing zone. I thought...your right, that was luck...

Other Thoughts: This is a cliche statement but I used every disc in my bag...seriously. I am a LHBH dominant thrower. I only deviate from this if I feel I have to. My last round here, I used tommys, sidearms and multiple rollers to get through. I went understable on many and disced down to mids on 400+ foot holes.

This course has multiple sig holes but I will just name a few. Hole 2 - this beauty is 440 feet of perfectly wide fairway to an elevated pin. One shot into the rough will cost you a bogey. Hole 6 - This 934 foot bad boy is open enough to find lines from each lie, but it is certainly not open. You will need to work to hit this par 5. Hole 7 - this tee shot has you tossing over tree tops for a finese 300 ft. par 3. You will need to "land" this shot with precission. And lastly, the famous hole 15 - truly EPIC. This hole defines this course. It is one of the all time great holes. You will stand highly elevated, looking over the vast 852ft. fairway that leads down to the beautiful lake backdrop with rough on both sides of a very manageable fairway that just begs you to throw with every last ounce of juice and you have a bag full of discs at your side.

This is a top tier course. An "A" course. It is worth whatever it takes to get here. Team it up with Deer Lakes for perhaps the best disc golf tandem you will find.

Another Outstanding PA State Park Disc Golf Experience

1    9/6/2010   9/9/2010
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: • PA state park = high quality disc golf
• Three tees (gold/long; blue/med; white/short); flat/even fly-pads surrounded by gravel
• Tee signs at both gold & blue tees - some tees also have brooms to clean off pads and many tee areas have benches available
• Baskets are in good shape and have multiple pin placements available adding diversity/challenge
• Mainly well defined fairways with a good balance of wooded, lightly wooded, semi-open holes necessitating a wide variety of shots with the available elevation incorporated sensibly
• While accuracy is critical here, length is also essential in order to score well from gold or blue tees
• Rough was manageable but errant throws could be severely punished on some of the holes (this goes for getting out of trouble as well as disc hunts)
• Out of bounds clearly marked (although don't necessarily agree with all of the designated OB areas)
• Intuitive flow with an outstanding design
• Next tee signs after virtually every hole so navigation's a breeze
• Extremely well maintained - practically in pristine condition when I played
• Abundance of wildlife adds to secluded feel
• Huge park w/gorgeous lake, amenities and many other activities available
• Plastic tree protectors on some of the trees that must endure disc collisions frequently - not sure I've seen this elsewhere
• Plastic drainage basins that aid in diverting water runoff away from holes
Cons: • Could use basket position indicator at tees. I threw the wrong shot on at least one hole due to not knowing basket position (should have walked up and scouted) with the end result adding a stroke to my score.
• Lack of trashcans on course - it's 'carry in/carry out'. However plenty of trash cans near parking lot and throughout the park & I did not see ANY trash on the course so this policy is obviously not a problem - just felt it needed to be pointed out.
• On a few holes, the Gold Tees seemed superfluous as they didn't add a different look and were merely behind the blue tees and seemed to just add distance for distance's sake.
• Getting to/from park can be confusing w/current road construction going on - however not the disc golf park's fault but definitely worth a mention.
Other Thoughts: As of this writing, Moraine has 35 reviews - many of them well written and thorough - so I won't go into course detail here.

Of the three Pittsburgh area courses I played (Deer Lakes, Knob Hill and Moraine), this was by far the most enjoyable. There's just something exceptional about these disc golf courses in PA State Parks that's difficult to describe…maybe it's the chill, secluded vibe combined with the wealth of wildlife…or the meticulous maintenance coupled with a balanced design and diverse layout…or just that perfect blend of qualities I thoroughly enjoy in a disc golf course -where a first timer can relax, feel 'at home' and take pleasure in the game and the environment its set in.

Speaking of environment - the wildlife was abundant here. Upon first arriving, I identified at least a half-dozen bird species just in the parking area alone! The variety of moths, butterflies & other insects in addition to the flora/trees encountered on the course was equally as diverse. The enormous lake that's at the center of the park is certainly its life blood and provides a fantastic DG setting.

I played on Labor Day and while the beach and surrounding area was packed with people (the DG course shares the parking lot), the course was not crowded (people were playing but there were no bottlenecks or waiting).

Any of the cons listed above are mere nit-picking. This is a high quality, championship caliber destination course set in one of the more impressive state parks I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. Moraine State Park is without a doubt one of my all time favorite courses.

A sojourn here is highly recommended not only for the amazing course but also for the overall park experience. Definitely worth going out of your way for….

great tees and design

2-4    8/12/2013   9/6/2010
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 8/12/2013
Pros: I played here in 2005 and now in 2010, what an improvement in 5 years, this course is truly great now!

I have numerous pro's to list so the details will be short:

- 3 level rubber tees per hole, gold (long, pro caliber), blue (advanced worthy) and white (begineer level) all installed perfectly flat with gravel surrounding them.

- a great variety of shots required...uphill, downhill, left, right, long short.

- a very clean and well maintained park and golf course. Cut grass in the woods, is almost hard to believe.

- course favors accuracy over power

- benches on most of the holes

- very good detail on the tee signs and next tee signs after playing the hole.

- the view on hole 15 which is unlike the rest of the course. it's the most scenic hole in PA!

- #7 and #18 are very fun downhill shots

-swimming is available in the same area of the park (North Shore)
Cons: it's hard to nit pick but I will mention there is some repetative long straight low ceiling shots from off the tees or on long approach shots.
Other Thoughts: Playing this course is a "hike", bring water and good footwear.

Along with Knob Hill and Deer Lakes, the Pittsburgh disc club has installed some challenging and world class courses, THANK YOU!

In early Sept 2010, the North Shore entrance
was very hard to get to with all the detours. Follow the signs, they will get you there but it takes about 10 minutes longer.

Moraine is not far from highway I-79 and Pittsburgh and/or the Grove City outlet shopping complex.

Excellent Course

5+    8/15/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: rhelt100
Pros: This is my home course. It's the first course I ever played and still the course that calls my name more often than not. Moraine has wide open fairways on most holes, compared to a few other courses I've played, but stray shots are punished HARD. A few holes have very tight approaches (#13) that will test your ability to shape a shot down a narrow path through the trees.

#15 is still the most scenic hole I've played to date.
Cons: A few holes on this course can be very intimidating for newbies. I've yet to see a new player finish hole #15 without a long search in the thick brush to the left after throwing off the hilltop.

Extreme tough course - with 1 all-time favorite hole

1    8/1/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: crandellfamily
Pros: Excellent demand of shot variety for the best players. Legitimate par 66 with more Par 4 and 5 variety than we've seen in any other course. My son and I played the blues, the middle of three well-designed tee options. The golds make for some monster challenges.

#15 is by far the most spectacular and fun hole on the course. Great downhill view to the lake. It's a grip and rip hole that still demands a well-executed flight path to avoid brush and take best advantage of the dogleg. Long tossers will benefit from a spotter.

Other favorites are

#2 - uphill wooded approach with an OOB creek bed guarding layups in front of the basket.

#8 - Fun shot through the gap left to clear the way to the basket.

#10 - another uphill approach. I don't usually like uphills as much. But this has enough clear fairway for an inviting challenge.

#18 - wooded with a creekbed at about 250 ft, and another guarding the basket.

Rubber tee pads for gold, blue and white: almost as good as concrete. Very flat and stable. Excellent signs, with the hole design indicated at each tee option. Easy navigation from one hole to the next, but it helped us to have a map to find the 11th tee.
Cons: Having said all that, I like Lake Moraine a lot, but not as much as Deer Lakes or Knob Hill in the Pgh area.

The views at Moraine, other than #15, weren't especially memorable. And it tops my list for its ability to bring out the worst in my game. The penalty for any lack of precision can be severe, and at times it's near impossible to find a best approach line - especially when the toughest baskets are in play. It would help to have a few more beautiful or forgiving holes to balance out the punishment.

Trees clog almost any putt at #4 with the basket right. The thick tree line down the middle of the long 6th fairway is brutal for all but the straightest throws. #12 heads into the woods left, at which point the trees are everywhere. #13 is shorter, but another brutal tight line. #16 is a long par five, with a tight uphill drive into the woods to make it play even longer.

Even the short 17th was frustrating. The fairway has a strong side-slope right, with mid-fairway trees and branches hanging relatively low. The blue tees hug the left brush, so your drive has to stay down, fade right to hold the slope, and avoid the fairway obstacles.
Other Thoughts: The course wasn't especially crowded, even on a summer Sunday. But the park was. The course shares parking space with the main lake beach. My son and I went for a quick swim with the rest of our family after our round. We even found lunch, and ice cream, at the beachfront snack bar. My wife wants us to rent bikes next time we visit. My youngest daughter wants to rock climb at nearby McConnell's Mills. It adds up to a great day trip.

Tough

5+    7/17/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: tistoude
Pros: Moraine (Lakeview Disc Golf Course) is easily one of the best courses in the entire region.
-The park that this course is in offers quite literally everything. Sandy beaches, boating, swimming, hunting, tons of paved bike trails, hiking trails, bathrooms, food and some awesome disc golf.
-Three good fly pad tees for every hole. White, Blue and Gold. This is a championship level course and par from the golds is rated as 1000. Each Tee does a good job of offering different distances and angles.
-Course Design. You can easily see that tons of thought went into each hole. Each tree on the course seems like it was strategically placed to make you take it into consideration for your next shot.
-Fairways. This is for the most part a very wooded course but every single hole has very distinct, fair, and manageble fairways. There are no poke and hope holes.
-Pin Placements. With every hole having at least three pin positions, you are afforded with a very nice variety of approach shots on every visit to this course.
-Elevation. Most holes have some elevation on them without having any ridiculously hard up hill shots.
-Variety of holes. There are no filler holes, or repetitive designs. Equally balanced between left and right turning holes. Reachable par 3's and Par 5's that require 4 very good shots to have a shot at a par. Very clear landing areas for the Par 4's and 5's.
-Variety of shots. You will need backhands, forehands, rollers, overhands, sky hyzers, low line drives and a steady putter to conquer this course.
-Perfect balance between accuracy and distance.

Cons: There are not too many cons to this course. A little bit of wash out around tees, lack of garbage cans on the course and no water available at the course (there is some at the beach which is not too far away).
Other Thoughts: This is a "phenomenal" course. But it is also a difficult, long, course that requires you to mentally and physically exert yourself. Moraine really requires control. If you can avoid trees and stay on the fairways you drastically improve your chances of birdies or par.
Alot of people will mention how beautiful a hole #15 is since it overlooks the lake but I think all of the holes are unique and aestheticaly pleasing. My personal favorites are #16 and #18.
#16 is very diffcult 441ft- 700ft par 5. You must hit one of two smallish gaps going up a slight incline then try to play down the right hand side fairway, that is probably the most wooded on the course, and finish at the well protected (d or c) pin with a gully directly behind it. You can have an outside shot at a 3 if you hit your lines or a 8 if you don't.
#18 is a great finishing hole. 450 or so feet straight through harwood forests with a large OB gully half way down the fairway and OB near the pin. Rip a drive and risk the trees and OB or lay up and try to place your next shot?
I love playing this course and I have learned never to go in with expectations becuase if your game is slightly off Moraine will punish you.