Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #7 (Taken 9/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pittsburgh Pride

5+    7/6/2016   7/10/2016
Review By: jjtwinnova
Pros: The course is a great, championship style, breathtaking course. It has a large variety of different shots to challenge even the best players. With two par 5's, and a good mix of par 4's and 3's, this course is not a short pitch and putt. It has a few bomber holes (i.e. 15) and some technical holes (i.e. 13) that test everybody. The baskets are discraft Chainstars less than a year old (as of July 2016)
Hole by hole:
1. Short Par 3 with a gateway arch of trees on the left side.
2. Uphill wooded par 4 with an OB creek by the basket, providing trouble with a bad upshot
3. Short Par 3 to 3 pin positions surrounding an OB ditch in the ground with trees to knock discs down into the pit of death. (Discs can be retrieved)
4. Uphill par 4 with a dogleg right and trees scattering the fairway
5. Par 3 that depending on pin can fade left or right with trees guarding a straight approach forcing a hyzer/anny
6. Long Par 5 with trees all down the middle and a thick rough along the edges forcing well executed shots the whole way
7. Downhill par 3 fading left at an open basket with a line over top for rhbh hyzers and a tough straight line for lefties
8. Par 4 with a tough first gap leading to a basket on the right
9. Par 3 that starts out open into a wooded green
10. Par 4 that will require a straight drive through the woods then to a dogleg left uphill.
11. Par 3 with trees around the green. Probably the worst hole on the course. Slightly uphill.
12. Dogleg right starting in the open going to a wooded uphill climb to the basket.
13. Tight as all get out par 3 forcing a well executed straight shot.
14. Par 4 through the woods that will lead to one of teh best holes in disc golf.
15. Par 4 Downhill bomber looking over the lake with an OB road left, trees right and left after the road. OB wooded patch right of fairway at the approach point. Requires distance and accuracy to reach the green at the base of the hill.
16. Par 5 uphill that then goes right with trees scattering the middle and a guarded green.
17. Par 3 starting in the open that moves to a guarded green.
18. A drive approaching an ob creek/trench forcing a decision to lay up or go for it. Green is to the right of another OB trench.

Cons: All trash must be taken out of the course. Not a con because of the policy, con because some people don't follow this rule. Course can get wet following a good rain. Not much wrong with the course at all. Alot of great holes.
Other Thoughts: Pair this course with the other courses in the area included in the 2015 world championships. This course is well executed and most definitely one of the best FREE AND PUBLIC courses in the world.

Best so far...

1    4/25/2016   6/3/2016
Review By: HoosickTony
This review was updated on 7/2/2016
Pros: So many pros, and they're already available to be seen in the reviews below. The biggest single pro... everything on this course was tough but fair. I never felt cheated by the design of the hole. I could always find a possible pathway to success that was not just a game of Plinko. I had to THINK on most every hole about the throw and the landing and what would happen if I strayed from my intended path. Most holes had risk/reward challenge, I felt like I truly accomplished something by playing a round of par disc golf from the blue tees.
Cons: My only con...I don't live close enough to this gem.
Other Thoughts: Bag used/needed: I carried 17 discs, and I used them all.

On a scale of 0 (horrible) to 5 (heavenly):
Scenery:5
Ease of navigation:5
Tee pads:5
Baskets (catchability):5
Baskets (location):5
Variety:5
Bomb factor:5 (loved the 700+ ft downhill bomb best)
Risk/reward opportunities:5
Fairness:5
Use of terrain:5
Amenities:4
Beginner friendliness:3
Non-disc golfer opportunities for fun:5

About the reviewer: I've been playing for over 20 years, and playing seriously since 2007. I throw RHBH predominantly, with a wide arsenal of other shots that I use when I need them; my drives average about 320 feet on flat ground. My PDGA rating hovers around 900, which means on good days I shoot a few below par, on bad days a few above.

About my preferences: In my opinion the perfect disc golf course is an interesting walk in a natural space, with a wide variety of challenging but fair opportunities that test ALL of your shot making skills regardless of which hand you favor for throwing discs. I am happiest when I have to think my way from tee to basket hole after hole after hole and have to weigh risks versus rewards. In my opinion the worst disc golf courses have nothing to offer but holes that a) only test of how far you can throw b) only favor one particular type of throw on the majority of holes c) feature "plinko" lines choked with obstacles where luck is more important than skill d) are so short that a putter is all you need e) are so wide open that the only challenge is one of judging distance f) feature lines that discs were never meant to travel (such as a hole with two 90 degree doglegs in opposite directions) g) force you to lose a few discs if you dare to play. I am saddest when I feel bored or cheated by a hole.

P.S. Kudos to the designers of Morraine for giving me everything I love, and nothing that I hate:-)

A beauty of a course!

1    4/23/2016   4/26/2016
Review By: landon77
Pros: -
-Excellent tee pads
-Excellent signs
-Great baskets
-Good variety of holes (wooded, open, and a few water holes)
-Highly challenging
-Longest hole I've ever played
-Clean and beautiful
-No snakes observed
-Dog friendly, big parking lot, and bathrooms on site
Cons: -
-trash cans are almost non existent
-no score cards on the premise (they were out)
Other Thoughts: -
-A great and beautiful course I had the pleasure of playing.
-It provided many challenging shots
-Some really nice signature holes, hole 14 reminds me of hole 1 of the beast in ludington MI
-Some of the best wooded holes I have ever seen, they were awesome, long, and creative.
-Great layout, the course provided clear paths, errant throws were very punished!
-Pretty good fun factor, not as high on my list as Deer Park but it was still fun nonetheless
-I enjoyed my trip to Moraine, I did not come away overwhelmed.
-I would put this course in my top ten courses I have played
-This course has some really memorable holes in it, I did find myself saying wow a couple of times.
-A destination course, worth playing if in the area and traveling too.

2-4    6/14/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: Jags
Pros: Located in a beautiful park with some nice views. This course will test your skills with about every shot there is. Worth the drive. Lots to do in park.
Cons: Can get rather busy on a nice day. There is usually trash thrown throughout the woods. Not the parks fault. People need to learn to respect the course and all the time it took to install it.
Other Thoughts: Worth checking out. Nice use of all terain.

#1 Course in PA

5+    5/14/2015   6/1/2015
Review By: SoupSizzle
Pros: There is nothing NOT to like about this course! Beautiful Setting, Challenging holes, Good mix of open and technical. Has something for the novice to the pros! Playing here was a privilege for me and I was lucky enough to grow up with 30 min of the course!
Cons: n/a

Moraine: Wow, what a course!

2-4    10/20/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: Billy K2
Pros: Moraine is a very fun, scenic course located in Pennsylvania. The course was so unique, and was really fun to play. The course was in phenomenal shape! I paired up with a couple locals. They were extremely helpful and kind.
Cons: The only con that keeps me from rating Moraine a 5 is the tees. They were not grippy at all, and I had a very tough time keeping my feet from sliding. A few holes I just tees off from next to the pad.
Other Thoughts: If I could give a rating between a 4.5 and a 5 I would. This course is so close to perfect, and is truly an amazing course. If you are looking for a great disc golf expirience, look no further than Moraine.

Morraine on the Brain

1    8/25/2014   9/19/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: It's been over a year since the last review on Morraine State Park, and I'm here to say it's still outstanding. Very challenging, layout with extreme elevation changes at times, some very dense woods that are mainly on the back 9, long distance on several, and after rain, a little water too. Each hole has multiple staggered rubber tees, and signs to help you out. The Mach 3 baskets are still in great condition. From the first hole to the last, interesting technical throws, not repetitive on any stretch. A little more open in some spots, usually at least some elevation change, and requires consistent accuracy. This course is truly outstanding, as so many people have indicated before me. I won't get too into details, but 15 is sick. The fewest trees of any hole, giving a fantastic view of the lake, over 850' from the long tee and way down hill. Two boomers and one putt if you do it right, I had to take an short approach from the rough near the basket, and made a four. 18 is a mother of a final hole, with a lot of trees, that knocked my disc straight into the muddy water in front of the basket. The whole park was very scenic and free of litter.
Cons: There was recent rain leaving behind mud, quite a bit on the last hole. No camping in the park. Leash law in effect.
Other Thoughts: A terrific place for disc golfing, and utilizing th land perfectly. There is very little weakness in this course. Unforgiving, but presents such a great challenge. A must play if you can make it, worth traveling to. I played one round, and went for 76 (+10). Would have loved to try and improve on that, repeatedly. Just not enough time to play it more than once.

One of PA's Best

2-4    8/24/2013   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: Quite simply this course is VERY close to being a 5.0 in my book. I have played this course three times and every time the rating increases in my mind. I would actually rate this course somewhere between a 4.5 and 4.75. I have given 4.5 ratings to courses such as Idlewild, Deer Lakes, Warwick and others. I would actually rate this course ahead of Deer Lakes and Tyler State Park and just behind Idlewild and Warwick. This course is perhaps the second best course in PA and that's saying a lot considering the wonderful abundance of courses located in PA. Here are my pros:

1) Three sets of tees offer three very different courses, ranging from 5800 feet to the championship level tees at 8200 feet. I have not played the shorter tees but took a good look at them the last time I played. It appears that all three sets of tees offer vastly different playing experiences, which is what you want with multiple tees.

2) This course, maybe better than any course I have ever played, offers multiple options to the basket. This course is not an open course by any means but the course was designed in such a way that doesn't constrict you to throwing a specific shot. A lot of the holes have multiple obstacles in the fairway that doesn't provide for "one" defined fairway but multiple fairways. Some may think this allows for luck shots but it really doesn't. The perfect example of his is hole 6 from the back tees. There are multiple, distinct options on this hole that offer very different challenges. Hole 9 may even be a better example. Even though its a short hole there is no "true" fairway in that you have to throw an exact line to get to the basket. The hole allows you to throw a higher shot, a lower RH flick shot, a turnover or even a roller. This is disc golf design at its finest.

3) Does it get any better than holes 6 and 15? In particular, hole 15 is not only a signature hole on the course but one of the most scenic disc golf holes I have ever played. I am not sure it gets any better than throwing down that huge hill with the lake in the background. Its a monster par 4 that is such a memorable hole. Hole 6 is also a true signature hole. Its 934 feet of greatness from the back tee with multiple options to the basket. It can make or break a round. Great courses have great holes but to be a 4.5 or better course you need to have holes that stand out as being some of the best in the country. Moraine State Park has at least two holes that say "this is one of the best courses in the country."

4) This course has phenomenal variation. The aforementioned hole 15 is a fairly open HUGE bomber hole that allows you to air out a disc. Hole 16 is a shorter hole than 15 but is potentially the hardest hole on the course. Its a SUPER challenging, uphill par 5 through the woods. So you go from being downhill and open to uphill and tight. This course is not all about distance, either. There are 8 par 3's that give you some chances at deuces. So even though this course is very challenging there are some chances for deuces. The course really has some nice variety between wooded and open holes.

5) The tee signs are marvelous. They point out the potential lines, distances, etc. This is a huge plus for me as they are extremely detailed.

6) One of the great things about PA is that the state allows disc golf in state parks. This allows for some significant beauty. The park is manicured VERY well and has some gorgeous scenery. Its tough not to enjoy yourself in this park as the holes are really beautiful.

7) I try to mention the non disc golf things the park offers and this one has some good ones. I am a huge fan of beaches and after playing a round in the 90 degree weather who wouldn't love a beach? Its literally a 700 foot walk to the beach so that's a huge plus for me.

Favorite Hole Not Mentioned Above: One of my favorite holes on the course is hole 7. Your tee shot actually overlooks some tree-tops and its actually a shorter hole. You can thread a shot under the tree tops and get a little lucky with a skip and have a jump putt or you can hyzer bomb it HIGH over the trees and hope to be in the circle. This course is what makes Moraine a great course: it gives you options!
Cons: Its tough to find much here in terms of cons. Honestly this course is an immaculate course and my cons are nitpicky. I can't quite give the course a 5.0 rating because in my opinion its a slight step below other courses I have rated a 5.0 (Flyboy, Highbridge, Nockamixon) but don't let that take anything away from the course. Here are my cons:

1) This isn't a huge deal but the teepads are rubber. This isn't a huge con for me because every time I have played this course it has been VERY dry but its worth mentioning.

2) From what I could tell and read there are no tee signs for the white tees.

3) Some of the rough was very punishing. Obviously I would tell you to stay out of the rough but hole 15 in particular has some of the roughest rough on the course. I did lose a nice disc to the right of hole 15's basket and looked 15 minutes and found a disc the next time I played. I think during a tournament this hole will probably have a spotter so its not a huge deal during a tournament but during a casual round I would advise playing with someone and talking turns spotting on this hole and a few others. Because its a downhill second shot there are some significant opportunities for the disc to glide.
Other Thoughts: Between Deer Lakes and Moraine State Park the disc golf in the Greater Pittsburgh Area is extremely solid on the top end. Moraine State Park is a true gem and honestly I would travel 2 hours out of my way to play this course. It can certainly get hot playing in the summer so bring lots of water.

Amazing course

5+    7/15/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: clark2626
Pros: Excellent course, will test all shots that you have, good mix of long and short holes not only for expirenced players, might want to have someone spot for you if your going for the corner on the big hole number 15
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: none

Best Course in Western PA

5+    11/9/2013   12/19/2013
Review By: rambocommando
Pros: This course is a beautiful 18 hole course, located in an equally beautiful and very quiet state park. This is a pretty low traffic course, especially compared to others in the area (looking at you Knob Hill). There are three tee pads and three pin placements for each hole (One basket, 3 possible placements). The holes are well marked, with the trickiest being the transition between 10 and 11 (if you aren't paying attention you'll start playing #4 again)

The course is very well kept and you can tell the course maintainers are very active. Towards the end of this past summer (2013), they trimmed back a huge amount of thick brush on a few holes, most notably hole 15. This drastically improved the enjoyment of this hole, since its one of the few holes where you can really let one fly. It also allowed the B and C placements for hole 15 to be used. I believe that all 18 holes now have three available placements making it a unique experience every time the basket location is changed.
Every single hole on this course is a quality hole. There are only 8 holes that could potentially be aced from the white or blue tee pads (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,17) although when the holes are configured in the more difficult placement, this number would be 4-5. There are no throwaway holes here. None of them seem cheap or repeated, and there are no gimmicky mandos. This course was designed from the gold tees and it shows. The longer tees never feel tacked on, and offer a good variety to the course after working your way up from the whites.

Favorite Holes:
6 - A long fairway split in two by a stand of pine trees. It will require you to throw tight lines while covering a long distance. For beginners and experienced players this hole will test your course management skills. If you birdie this hole, it will be something you can be proud of.
7 - You overlook the treetops and a small clearing with the basket sitting below. You have two options, throw a hyzer bomb over the tree tops and drop it near the basket, or thread a shot under the branches for a long putt or a short upshot.
15 - The signature hole. A long right then left S-Curve with a drop in elevation of about 50ft halfway through. Spectacular view of Lake Arthur from the tee pads, and one of the few opportunities to really grip it and rip it.
18 - The final hole is also one of the most technical and interesting holes. There are two OB creek beds that break up the fairway. From the tee you have the option to lay up before the first creek, or try to clear the gap. Once across, two of the placements require a skilled and careful upshot to avoid the second OB gully located behind or in front of the basket (depending on pin placement).

Your course management skills will be tested here. You will be forced to select the right disc and type of shot for each hole and situation, while still allowing different approaches for different plays styles. Bad shots are punished, but not unfairly. The layout of the holes is top-notch, I can't wait to watch the pros tackle this course at the worlds in 2015.
Cons: It would be really nice if there was an indication on the tee sign of which placement the basket was at. In the summer its pretty difficult to see where the basket is on the longer holes, and can affect what shots you take before getting close enough to see the basket.

No trash cans, I'm guessing this more of a DCNR restriction. I think they could probably set one by the road near hole 4 so that people could use it between holes 10 and 11 also. It would be easier for Park Maintenance or waste management to collect if it was placed right beside the road. Also maybe they could put one near the exit, after 18 in the parking lot.

White tees don't have tee signs.

It would be nice to have more tee pad brooms, just for the tees that have heavy tree cover (2,7,13,14,18)

This one is ticky-tacky. A few of the paths between holes could be made more clear. Between holes 12 and 13 there should be one distinct path to walk down the hill, I think there should be one clear trail down to the next hole instead of a few "deer trails". Also between 16 and 17, there is a nice gradual trail beside the washout that leads to 17, the trail could use a little placard or something right beside it to let people know that's where the path is.
Other Thoughts: You should be able to identify poison ivy before playing this course. It's very common to find it amongst the weeds just off the fairway.
There are bathrooms at the far end of the parking lot near the beach. Useful after a round to wash off your legs and remove the oils from the poison ivy, or you know, go to the bathroom.

After playing this course 20+ times, I'm still coming up with different shots or lines to try to improve my score. I think that really is a testament to how well thought out this course is.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7