Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)

Great all-around course

1    11/1/2008   11/1/2008
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Located in a beautiful, secluded park. Course for the most part is away from other park activity areas, trails, etc.

Easy to navigate for the most part. Three sets of tees for all skill levels. Clever and challenging holes without being "tough for tough's sake".

Basic tee signs with maps, new tee signs and baskets, and most holes had arrows directing you to the next tee.
Cons: Dirt tees, and they were exceptionally muddy when I played there. Major letdown. Had to play to the side for most of the holes.

Some holes can be difficult to navigate to from the previous basket, and there is quite a bit of travel from baskets to the following tees.

While I listed the seclusion of the park as a plus, for some the extra drive into the park may be a bit long off the freeway exit to the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall this was an excellent course to play, and worth the 1.5+ hour trip I made to play it. Each hole is unique, none feel arbitrary, and the overall course really challenges all your throws and will have you pulling out every disc you have in the bag. Lots of doglegs, S/Z curves, up hill and downhill holes.

Probably two holes compete for the course "signature hole" -- either hole 15 where you Z-curve down as you approach the spectacular lake in the background, or hole 18 where you are throwing down a slight downhill gauntlet of trees and elevation changes.

Quite a bit of elevation changes throughout the course, and you'll throw both uphill and downhill at times -- but nothing too ridiculous.

As I mentioned above the course is deep in an expansive park, and the seclusion on the course is a very nice factor. The course plays naturally through the woods, so you really feel as if you are out on a hike with a disc golf course as a bonus. Or vice versa :) Some holes however are very near or cross the park road system, breaking up the solitude.

Holes are primarily technical, with small tree obstacles. The longest-distances holes for the most part all include a downhill factor as well, so you get some added distance at no extra cost.

I did not have time to check out the other activities available at the park, but there seemed to be lots of other things to do like fishing, boat ramps, swimming, camping, etc. The park was huge and the disc golf course was just in one area on one side of the enormous inland lake.

The hole one entrance kiosk didn't have a course map, but did have free scorecards which seemed to be leftover from a tournament or event so not sure how long those will last.

Large parking lot right by the hole one tee, and the course loops back around to the entrance on hole 18.

Some of the holes were a bit confusing, as the course wraps around some holes run parallel and I had trouble finding baskets; however it was my first time out and I just threw blind based off the tee maps. Tee maps were the small basic type, but were new, clean and for the most part pointed you in the right direction. Play this once and you'll have it all down in your head.

In summary, if you are anywhere near this course it's a must-play course. Top-notch, and once/if they get permanent pads in place it will be even better. Kudos to the guys on this site that built this, you can tell it was created with care, and by disc golfers.

Oh, and the photos currently on DCGR as of this review really don't do the course justice. Most/all were taken from the Gold tees, where you really don't get to see what the hole looks like/plays like. Much more personality to the course than the photos imply, having now been there in person.

1    10/16/2008   10/19/2008
Review By: calcuttajoe
Pros: I am a new player over 50. This course was absolutely great. A very good walking course. Very challenging drives and approach shots. All the holes seem to have openings for the good shot and trees, steams, rocks etc. to make you pay for the bad. A definite must and I'LL BE BACK.

one of the best

1    5/10/2008   9/10/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Truly unique, long and tough holes playing through diverse beautiful terrain. It makes a top Pro wonder if they can pull the shot off when they step onto the tee. Very punishing for bad shots sometimes, but often fair and doesn't reject the great shots or allow the bad ones through. A 900' downhill shot towards a lake. A 900' tunnel hole with woods on both sides, literally packed with pines in the middle most of the way, requiring several smooth tricky drives just to get to the upshot stage. Well marked.
Cons: It was semi-tough to find the correct park entrance and course. It needs cement tees so you can really get that perfect shot every time and not slip, yet it's probably the only course that can get a 5.0 rating even without them! (And I heard they are supposed to go in soon)

7/19/2008   7/19/2008
Review By: disconsolator
Pros: Three sets of tees make the course different every time if you want. Huge variation in shots and fairways which is really excellent. Great views and almost every hole seems like a signature hole.
Cons: Some of the risks in the course are far too great. If you don't hit the first small hole on a couple of holes, you're at an instant 5. They are defined, but it really isn't "fair". If you're off the fairway on half the holes, you're in a ton of trouble - not exactly fair. No tee pads make a rainy day a difficult experience.
Other Thoughts: Good course. Take out a few trees and it's still challenging, but still awesome.

A great challenge

4/20/2008   4/20/2008
Review By: ebonaz
Pros: The course is in fantastic shape. Very challenging, requiring all your shots. I threw many forehands, backhands, thumbers, and tomahawks while making my way through the course. Beautiful setting. Great use of elevation and obstructions.
Cons: I can't think of any right now.
Other Thoughts: I just played in the Ironwood Open at Moraine. I've now played multiple rounds there on three separate occasions and can definitely say that this course is top notch. A good round can go south quickly if you lose your focus or take too many reckless chances.

What a beautiful day

3/27/2008   3/27/2008
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: I find myself saying "What a beautiful place" just about every round I play at Moraine State Park.

--- A good mixture of holes to test every level of player.

--- 3 sets of tees

--- 3 sets of pins

--- A true Par 66 course

--- Every hole requires focus and execution

---Out of the way location from major areas keeps the crowds small, though it is starting to get pretty popular these days.

--- www.northcountrybrewing.com is 15 minutes down the road and makes some of the best beer in Pennsylvania. And about 60% of the employees play disc golf. Even the Brewer!!

--- I think it is the most beautiful place in the world to play disc golf. Great people, great course.
Cons: --- Need more benches (I'm working on it!)

--- Probably slightly hard to navigate without a map your first time there

Other Thoughts: Moraine State Park was built be myself along with the help of Leo Liller, Bryan Wright, Tim Wright, J Gary Dropcho and KB Clark. The course took about 2 years to complete, with the first year devoted to changing holes, making better holes, tweaking/modifying and checking our par to make sure that it was accurate. After about a year, we began the long process of clearing the course to get it in usable shape. Thousands of hours were spent cutting trees, moving debris, walking through huge patches of briars and braving what was some of the roughest land you could imagine. All the while, trying to throw discs at stakes in the ground while walking through this crap. It was amazing in every way, I'll never forget standing up on Hole 15 and throwing discs off of that hill knowing full well that you would probably never be able to find it in all the rough down below. The hole used to actually play from the other side of the flat top part to where hole 16's tee is. After a few weeks, J Gary and myself were standing on what is now 15 gold tee, and I said " I think the hole needs to go way down there". He responded by saying "no, even longer, all the way to the lake if we can". But there is a bike path there and we could not send the hole all the way to the lake as we would have liked. Nonetheless, 15 turned out to be a beautiful hole.

I have so many memories building and helping in the design of that course, it will always remain my favorite place to play. It is challenging (was designed from golds) round after round, and makes golfers really have to dig down deep to play a round of par. Every hole requires well executed shots to earn a par or birdie. If you fail to stay in the fairway for any hole, you will most likely end up with a bogey or worse. The fairways are fair, and the golf is great.

The article in the first issue of Flying Disc Magazine on Moraine has to be the biggest compliment ever to those of us who designed this course. It was many years in the making, I believe 7 or 8 since the first time we contacted the park till the time it was completed.

Gorgeous Vistas

6/2/2007   3/12/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: This was a challenge in every sense of the game. I triumphed, I crawled, I whined, I pumped my fist. All in all I walked out with a 68 which I was proud of. There are some beautiful views of the lake especially on one hole (can't remember which number) but I think it was around 14.
Cons: A few holes ere slightly overgrown but i chalk that up to us being there at the beginning of the summer. I am sure it is normally fine.
Other Thoughts: We played this course on the same trip that we played Idlewild in Kentucky. These courses are phenomenally challnging and worth every minute of the 3.5-4 hours it takes to play them.

my #1

1    1/7/2008   3/7/2008
Review By: Pittviper
This review was updated on 12/8/2009
Pros: Positional disc golf at it's finest. Parking a drive doesn't mean under the basket. You need to hit every shot to score on this course. And on a nice day, you can go to the concession stand between rounds and get a burger and a shake.
Cons: Sometimes the lines are long at the concession stand. The only reason it's not a 5 is because of the tee's. They are not bad, and are the best natural tee's that I've played, but they could be and will be better soon. then it's a 5.
The fly pads are in and now is my best of the best.
Other Thoughts: It has it all for everyone. The gold tee's are 1000 rated 66. and there are 950 and 900 tee's as well. The beach and lake and miles of bike trails makes this course my #1.

Great course in a great state park

1/12/2008   2/22/2008
Review By: bcsst26
Pros: This is a challenging course where placement is key. This course will take a bag full of shots and require you to hit your lines. You will walk away from here remembering several holes. There are a variety of holes from wide open to wooded. Overall this is a great course.
Cons: I do not care for the hole that has an OB stream in the middle of the fairway(I can't remember the hole number since I have only played it once) taking away a good drive but that might just being to picky.
Other Thoughts: I have only played this course once so far so I still don't have a great feel for it. After playing it several more times I will update this review.

Disc Golf Rules!

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: 30 minutes North of Pittsburgh is a very nice course that utilizes all shots. Overall this course is long compared to most, however long arms don't have a huge advantage. Placement is key and crutial. The longest hole on the course from the long tee's is close to 1000 feet and placement is more important than distance. Many call this course a great example on the way most/all Disc Golf Courses of the future will be. The course has a good mix of wooded, open, and short and long holes. Shooting a 5 on some of the holes is not a bad thing.