Portersville, PA
Moraine State Park Share
Uploaded By: Brall   (Taken 7/2011)
Kiosk

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
 What a beautiful day

3/27/2008   3/27/2008
Review By: chris deitzel
Pros: I find myself saying "What a beautiful place" just about every round I play at Moraine State Park.

--- A good mixture of holes to test every level of player.

--- 3 sets of tees

--- 3 sets of pins

--- A true Par 66 course

--- Every hole requires focus and execution

---Out of the way location from major areas keeps the crowds small, though it is starting to get pretty popular these days.

--- www.northcountrybrewing.com is 15 minutes down the road and makes some of the best beer in Pennsylvania. And about 60% of the employees play disc golf. Even the Brewer!!

--- I think it is the most beautiful place in the world to play disc golf. Great people, great course.
Cons: --- Need more benches (I'm working on it!)

--- Probably slightly hard to navigate without a map your first time there

Other Thoughts: Moraine State Park was built be myself along with the help of Leo Liller, Bryan Wright, Tim Wright, J Gary Dropcho and KB Clark. The course took about 2 years to complete, with the first year devoted to changing holes, making better holes, tweaking/modifying and checking our par to make sure that it was accurate. After about a year, we began the long process of clearing the course to get it in usable shape. Thousands of hours were spent cutting trees, moving debris, walking through huge patches of briars and braving what was some of the roughest land you could imagine. All the while, trying to throw discs at stakes in the ground while walking through this crap. It was amazing in every way, I'll never forget standing up on Hole 15 and throwing discs off of that hill knowing full well that you would probably never be able to find it in all the rough down below. The hole used to actually play from the other side of the flat top part to where hole 16's tee is. After a few weeks, J Gary and myself were standing on what is now 15 gold tee, and I said " I think the hole needs to go way down there". He responded by saying "no, even longer, all the way to the lake if we can". But there is a bike path there and we could not send the hole all the way to the lake as we would have liked. Nonetheless, 15 turned out to be a beautiful hole.

I have so many memories building and helping in the design of that course, it will always remain my favorite place to play. It is challenging (was designed from golds) round after round, and makes golfers really have to dig down deep to play a round of par. Every hole requires well executed shots to earn a par or birdie. If you fail to stay in the fairway for any hole, you will most likely end up with a bogey or worse. The fairways are fair, and the golf is great.

The article in the first issue of Flying Disc Magazine on Moraine has to be the biggest compliment ever to those of us who designed this course. It was many years in the making, I believe 7 or 8 since the first time we contacted the park till the time it was completed.

Gorgeous Vistas

6/2/2007   3/12/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: This was a challenge in every sense of the game. I triumphed, I crawled, I whined, I pumped my fist. All in all I walked out with a 68 which I was proud of. There are some beautiful views of the lake especially on one hole (can't remember which number) but I think it was around 14.
Cons: A few holes ere slightly overgrown but i chalk that up to us being there at the beginning of the summer. I am sure it is normally fine.
Other Thoughts: We played this course on the same trip that we played Idlewild in Kentucky. These courses are phenomenally challnging and worth every minute of the 3.5-4 hours it takes to play them.

my #1

1    1/7/2008   3/7/2008
Review By: Pittviper
This review was updated on 12/8/2009
Pros: Positional disc golf at it's finest. Parking a drive doesn't mean under the basket. You need to hit every shot to score on this course. And on a nice day, you can go to the concession stand between rounds and get a burger and a shake.
Cons: Sometimes the lines are long at the concession stand. The only reason it's not a 5 is because of the tee's. They are not bad, and are the best natural tee's that I've played, but they could be and will be better soon. then it's a 5.
The fly pads are in and now is my best of the best.
Other Thoughts: It has it all for everyone. The gold tee's are 1000 rated 66. and there are 950 and 900 tee's as well. The beach and lake and miles of bike trails makes this course my #1.

Great course in a great state park

1/12/2008   2/22/2008
Review By: bcsst26
Pros: This is a challenging course where placement is key. This course will take a bag full of shots and require you to hit your lines. You will walk away from here remembering several holes. There are a variety of holes from wide open to wooded. Overall this is a great course.
Cons: I do not care for the hole that has an OB stream in the middle of the fairway(I can't remember the hole number since I have only played it once) taking away a good drive but that might just being to picky.
Other Thoughts: I have only played this course once so far so I still don't have a great feel for it. After playing it several more times I will update this review.

Disc Golf Rules!

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: 30 minutes North of Pittsburgh is a very nice course that utilizes all shots. Overall this course is long compared to most, however long arms don't have a huge advantage. Placement is key and crutial. The longest hole on the course from the long tee's is close to 1000 feet and placement is more important than distance. Many call this course a great example on the way most/all Disc Golf Courses of the future will be. The course has a good mix of wooded, open, and short and long holes. Shooting a 5 on some of the holes is not a bad thing.

Pittsburgh's Finest

1/2/2008   1/2/2008
Review By: kUrTp
Pros: This is a Championship Course. It's my personal favorite. Great mix of open and wooded holes. Three pins per hole which are moved regularly. You don't have to have a massive arm to shoot par, it's more of placement shots from the tee. Great views of the lake. State Park employees do a great job mowing. If there was a country club disc golf course, this would be one of them.
Cons: There's not many Cons but, concrete tees would be nice, the local club is in the process of raising money for this. Some one on course to hand me water.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course to play. Challenges the very best of players. Keep it in play and out of the rough and shooting par is doable.

Pittsburgh's 1st Championship course

5+    8/4/2007   8/7/2007
Review By: MattK
This review was updated on 6/10/2012
Pros: Excellent variety: Some wooded corridors, some open holes, and as many variations in between that one can imagine. Every hole had a unique feel. The course makes good use of the park's ample space, with throws that stray from the fairways resulting in more recovery shots than lost discs.

The more courses I play, the more I am impressed by the level of balance / calibration of Moriane. All of the par 3s, 4s and 5s seem to play properly as such. I find myself referring to this course as a particular example of how to design and set par for a championship level course. It really is a masterpiece.
Cons: No signs or yardage available on the new white tees. Some of the signs for the other tees may need updating as well.
Other Thoughts: Moriane's reputation lead me to believe I was going to be destroyed here, but from the new white tees I found it quite fun, even a little on the easy side. But for those who want more the course offers more, up to the very long gold tees. It can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be.

Update: The addition of rubber pads for all of the tees gets this course bumped up to a 5.0. This is the best course I have ever played.

Another Pittsburgh Winner!

7/22/2007   7/25/2007
Review By: timg
Pros: Very challenging with a good mix of wooded and open holes. Some great views on hole #15 and #16.
Cons: The starting point of the course could be better marked.
Other Thoughts: Moraine is a very long and very fun course. Hole #2, with its tall trees and spaciousness, made me feel like I was in the Great Hall of some castle. #6 will test even the best disc golfers with its 900ft. length and tree filled fairway. Finally, #15 has you throwing down a huge hill with an amazing view from the tee. It's one of those holes where it should be illegal not to empty your bag.

Overall Moraine was an extremely fun course to play and I enjoyed each and every hole.

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next >